Tom Cleverley

Status
Not open for further replies.

Decotron

Jonas Olsson passes on best wishes to Cleverley
Apr 6 2010 by Christopher Lepkowski, Birmingham Mail

JONAS Olsson admitted the joy of Albion’s late equaliser was tempered by Tom Cleverley’s injury.

The Watford player suffered a bad leg injury after colliding with the Albion vice-captain.

He was treated for some time on the pitch and was given oxygen as he was carried off.

Although Olsson wasn’t to blame for the incident, he admitted the injury troubled him.

“It’s never nice to be involved in an injury like that,” he said.

“Everyone who saw the tackle will know it wasn’t intentional. He got the ball away from me, I slid to get the ball, he ran in and we got tangled up.

“I hope it’s not bad but it does get to you when something like that happens.

“I do feel heartbroken for the lad and I wish him all the best.”

Olsson was pleased with Albion’s late equaliser, scored by Chris Brunt.

The Northern Ireland man, who scored Albion’s promotion-clinching goal two years ago, was overcome by his strike, which came in the fifth minute of injury time.

Centre-half Olsson said; “We got the equaliser which obviously we’re happy about.

“It’s a good point and it’s important we keep going. It was a good finish for the goal and we’re happy to have scored.

“We’ve scored in every game of 2010 so it’s good to maintain that record.”

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
The bit about him not going to hospital probably means they didn't think he'd broken his leg. I guess that leaves cruciates as the most likely injury, which could keep him out just as long, if not longer.

Fecking sucks that both Anderson and Cleverley may miss pre-season training. I was really hoping they would both be important players for us next season. What a shit end to a shit week.

Devil_forever

You're only young once, you can be immature f'ever
Head of the naval division of lolibfascon
What a player he has been to watch develop over the course of the season. Huge shame that his incredible work rate has resulted in that freak injury. Many moments of pure class, and plenty to show he could well become a United/England regular. Based on what everyone has said - he would be welcome back at Watford anyday.

Here's to hoping his injury isnt too serious, and without him, the season would have been even tougher for us. Similar prospect as Young was when he left us.

Cheers Tom.
If he's actually as good, then next season could well be a break through one for him:D

PS18

Have heard it's not as bad as first feared, which is encouraging if true.

samabachan

Football is about glory, it is about doing things
Watford | News | News | Latest Headlines | CLEVERLEY TO MISS RUN-IN

CLEVERLEY TO MISS RUN-IN
Thu 08 Apr 2010

WATFORD boss Malky Mackay has today (Thursday) revealed that influential midfielder Tom Cleverley will play no further part in proceedings this season.

The England Under-21 star was stretchered from the pitch during the second half of Watford's draw with promotion-chasing West Brom at Vicarage Road on Monday.

The extent of Cleverley's injury has been assessed since and today Malky confirmed he will not pull on a Watford shirt in the remaining Championship games.

Malky said: "Tom Cleverley has knee ligament damage and his season is sadly finished."

The lateral ligament injury means the Golden Boys will be without the services of the Manchester United loanee in the remaining five league games - starting with Saturday's home game with Plymouth Argyle.

Since joining the Club in August, Cleverley has made 35 starts, netting 11 goals to make him the Hornets' top scorer.

"It is a terrible shame for both Tom and the Club" added the Watford boss.

"Since arriving he has been fantastic for us in every way, not just in games but also with his all-round attitude and application to the way he goes about his work.

"It is never nice seeing someone stretchered from the field, but I am sure he will come back hungry to make an impact and to get back to his football.

"Having worked with Tom for a number of months I am sure he will go on to have a top-level career.

"His impact since being at the Club has been there for all to see.

"No doubt Tom has learnt plenty with us over the last few months and I'm sure he will draw on those experiences as he goes on to establish himself in the game.

"We are grateful to Tom, his family and to Sir Alex Ferguson and Manchester United for trusting us with one of their young talents.

"It goes without saying that everyone here wishes him a speedy recovery."

Elsewhere, the Golden Boys will also be without the services of Jon Harley and Henri Lansbury this weekend, due to suspensions.

Will Buckley and Lloyd Doyley also came off injured against The Baggies. The manager today explained the pair have hamstring injuries and their fitness will be assessed nearer to kick-off on Saturday.

Defender Martin Taylor and striker Heidar Helguson were ruled out of Monday's clash with knocks and the duo remain a doubt going into Saturday's game with The Pilgrims.
Can someone shed any light on what this might mean? Pogue?

Chris H

Video Posting God
Generally speaking, I think LCL injuries tend to be less serious than ACL injuries.

PS18

Couldn't be less of a medical expert, but I'd guess there are varying severities for LCL injuries (just as there are for ACL/MCL) so he could be back in a few weeks or a few months. Hopefully we might hear something from United, I'd assume he'll be coming back (if he hasn't been back already) for assessment/treatment at Carrington.

Elliott

Likes Loan Stickies
Couldn't be less of a medical expert, but I'd guess there are varying severities for LCL injuries (just as there are for ACL/MCL) so he could be back in a few weeks or a few months. Hopefully we might hear something from United, I'd assume he'll be coming back (if he hasn't been back already) for assessment/treatment at Carrington.
Yeah. Did a bit of googling and it seems as though if it's a total tear surgery may be needed and in that case full recovery can take up to a few months.

datura

It seems that Cleverley was in a similar position to Oliver Gill in that he only started training at United full time after finishing his A-Levels so that might account for his rapid improvement over the last few years (his progress has surprised quite a few regular Academy/Reserve watchers).

Elliott

Likes Loan Stickies
That's a point, datura. Wasn't he also injured for an entire season a few years back?

Virtuoso

That's a point, datura. Wasn't he also injured for an entire season a few years back?
I'm pretty sure he was, and I'd definitely agree with datura. He's one of those who was on and off the radar quite a bit, the most memorable match I think I remember of him and one which really propelled him into my thoughts was a home Reserves match where he scored two brilliant goals against Bolton. He was brilliant in that match and played right-wing, saw him play right across the midfield before that too.

PS18

He missed an awful lot of his first two years through injury, as well as not being full-time. Think the most surprising thing was the change in position - it was quite well known at the time that he was still studying so some improvement would be expected (like we've seen from Gill), but there wasn't much to suggest he was going to become a goalscoring, creative attacking midfielder.

samabachan

Football is about glory, it is about doing things
Have heard from someone who claimed to have been at the Watford end of season awards that h Tom himself claims he will be on crutches for 6 weeks and out for around 3 months - perfect for the start of next season :D.

I have to say though, I can't vouch for the accuracy of these claims in any way.

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
Have heard from someone who claimed to have been at the Watford end of season awards that h Tom himself claims he will be on crutches for 6 weeks and out for around 3 months - perfect for the start of next season :D.

I have to say though, I can't vouch for the accuracy of these claims in any way.
Perfect? Hardly that. There's rehab to be considered plus time to get back into match fitness, and let's pray there are no long term effects to his speed etc.

What would be perfect is that he didn't get a serious injury in the first place

PS18

Does sound like he's got off relatively fortunately though, given how it looked at the time. If it's nearer the six weeks end of that timescale then he'll have another month to hopefully get ready for pre-season, so you'd hope he'd be involved. Even three months means he'd be back in some sort of training in mid-July.

He won Player of the Year at those awards btw.

Decotron

meh.....

Newcastle eyeing Man Utd winger Cleverley
04.05.10 | tribalfootball.com

Newcastle United are tracking Manchester United winger Tom Cleverley.

The Sunday Sun says Toon boss Chris Hughton is hopeful next season’s Premier League squad cap can help him land Manchester United’s Cleverley.

Each top-flight club’s first-team squad will be limited to 25 players in 2010/11, with eight of those being homegrown.

However, “homegrown” means any player who has been at the club for three years or more, of whom Manchester United has more than plenty.

PS18

Classic tribalbollocks. It's a minimum of eight that have to be homegrown, we could have all 25 being homegrown if we wanted so us having 'more than plenty' is irrelevant. Even more pertinently, Cleverley should be exempt from the squad cap next season anyway as he was U21 on 1.1.2010.

prateik

apparently newcastle have no transfer budget

The first team squad that won the Championship this year will form the basis of the team for next season in the Premier League. There is no plan for new capital outlay on players.
official site

oh and from a lansbury thread on watford forums
He suffered by comparison to Tom Cleverley who was Paul Scholes-like, not only in his immediate willingness to track back, tackle and run off the ball but who possessed a better shooting and free kick ability. Henry looked a bit fancy dan by comparison.
i miss scholes' free kick ability

x42bn6

Maybe it's just typical "twisting of words"?

For those asking whether no "new" outlay means there might be something in the pot ... #Nufc say their £20m overdraft is "fully committed."
Twitter / George Caulkin: For those asking whether n ...

Newcastle do need investment but compared with relegation sides in the past not as much - Nolan-Barton would be a solid midfield for a lower-mid-table team, for example.

Rowem

gently, down the stream
Maybe it's just typical "twisting of words"?

Twitter / George Caulkin: For those asking whether n ...

Newcastle do need investment but compared with relegation sides in the past not as much - Nolan-Barton would be a solid midfield for a lower-mid-table team, for example.
Nolan has looked slow and immobile even this season, and more so in recent Premiership seasons. His best performances have been from behind a striker. They do have Guthrie (and Smith :nervous:) but they definitely need another capable Premiership midfielder. Especially with Barton' injury record.

Obviously they won't be buying Cleverly though.

prateik

apparently newcastle want him and welbeck on loan

guaranteed first team football ?
i think cleverley (if he recovers from his injury) will be involved in the preseason tour

nani,tosic in the WC , valencia injured == obertan , park , giggs , cleverley our wide players

lysglimt

Scout
Newcastle should never get another player, who we feel has a future with us, on loan.
Normally I would agree - but I think the way Hughton has handled the team indicates that they actually learned something. No more fancy stars - just a bunch of hard-working footballers and a manager who seem to be doing something right

Status
Not open for further replies.