Tom Cleverley

Status
Not open for further replies.

prateik

True, but the more cynical part of me tells me that we're either keeping him around to do his contract to ensure he'll be here next season... Or sorting out the final details of a transfer today. :(
he doesnt need to travel with the squad for any contractual negotiation

anyway, he has extended his loan at watford till the end of the season , so he cant sign for any other team till the summer. .

has to be to get some experience ..

x42bn6

I would be shocked if we let him go, or that he'd even want to leave given the content of his interviews this season and the quality of his performances. I think he'll get a chance next season to establish himself in the first team squad.
To be honest, it shouldn't take this long to renew his contract - he's down to 5 months tomorrow, isn't he? I've always wondered why there's been no ITK news of progress or any sort. With all the financial issues of our club, would it be surprising if Cleverley is cut from the wage budget?

he doesnt need to travel with the squad for any contractual negotiation

anyway, he has extended his loan at watford till the end of the season , so he cant sign for any other team till the summer. .

has to be to get some experience ..
Or he could just be in town and rather than return to Watford to train (it is Sunday, after all), he could just be catching up with the players and watching the match.

Striker10

"Ronaldo and trophies > Manchester United football
It would be strange to let him go because he doesn't seem overawed playing for United when he has featured in 'albiet' minor games. He's a goal threat. You don't need to score screamers. If you can get 10+ goals a season it's great

I would like to think he'll be given his chance and while Sir Alex has said he would - we know that's not always the case. However, his form surely can't have changed anyones mind about his ability?

I think a big thing here is cleverly hasn't said anything. There's no panic. The only thing hes said about his future is about wanting to break into the United side. So i'm sure we're comfortable with the situation. The player doesn't seem nervious

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
Close range header I think it said on the bbc text updates.
Very brave header.Both he and the goalie went for a 50/50 and he took a clattering to get his head to it first.

I like this lad's attitude!:)

Girish II

I think this loan spell is already as successful as Campbell's one at Hull in the Championship. But Cleverley seem to be playing more of an integral part judging from the Watford forum comments.

datura

Tom Cleverley's meeting with Sir Alex is a smart move | Football

Tom Cleverley's meeting with Sir Alex is a smart move
Ben Hunt

Tom Cleverley warmed up for Watford's 3-0 win over Sheffield United last night by watching parent club Manchester United humiliate Arsenal.

The Hornets' on-loan midfielder was invited to join the rest of the United squad as Sir Alex Ferguson's side cruised to a 3-1 victory at the Emirates.

Cleverley opened the scoring last night as Watford ran out easy winners with Heidar Helguson and Don Cowie also getting on the scoresheet.

Watford boss Malky Macky said: “Tom was with the United manager at the weekend and went to the Emirates to experience what it would be like. He had five minutes with Sir Alex who gave him targets for the season.”

See, nothing to worry about x42bn6!!

x42bn6

Tom Cleverley's meeting with Sir Alex is a smart move | Football

Tom Cleverley's meeting with Sir Alex is a smart move
Ben Hunt

Tom Cleverley warmed up for Watford's 3-0 win over Sheffield United last night by watching parent club Manchester United humiliate Arsenal.

The Hornets' on-loan midfielder was invited to join the rest of the United squad as Sir Alex Ferguson's side cruised to a 3-1 victory at the Emirates.

Cleverley opened the scoring last night as Watford ran out easy winners with Heidar Helguson and Don Cowie also getting on the scoresheet.

Watford boss Malky Macky said: “Tom was with the United manager at the weekend and went to the Emirates to experience what it would be like. He had five minutes with Sir Alex who gave him targets for the season.”

See, nothing to worry about x42bn6!!
Unless those targets involved clubs he should sign for the in the summer. :(

Ah well, I'll stop worrying somewhat then - but unless he does his contract soon, I'll never stop worrying. I'd really like him to come back and have a shot at our first-team next season at the very least.

Maajid

Formerly Mad
Someone made a compilation of his Watford/England highlights, hadn't seen it here so thought I'd post.

Elliott

Likes Loan Stickies
That's a shame. But there's a fire in his belly which can only help him in the long run.

PS18

I'm tired and bleary-eyed and they showed no replay on the Football League Show, but it didn't look that bad a tackle to me. Could well be totally wrong.

Looked like he took a couple of punches in the melee afterwards, did pretty well to not get stuck into that and walk away.

cj_sparky

The red was unlucky. See worse in the Premier League getting only a yelloe or no punishment.

The reactions of some of the Scunny players were move worthy of reds.

beergod

Seems to have lost his way a little of late - the goals have dried up somewhat and he's not being talked about as much by Watford fans as he was. Fatigue maybe? Or complacency?
It is his first full professional season as a regular starter and I would be surprised if he has not felt the effects of playing 2 matches a week in the Championship. This 3 match ban could be coming at the right time for him to take a short break and recover for the end of the season.

datura

Tom Cleverley hopes to make Manchester United breakthrough next season (From Watford Observer)

Tom Cleverley hopes to make Manchester United breakthrough next season
10:45am Monday 15th March 2010

Tom Cleverley is hoping his performances at Watford will earn him a place in the Manchester United first team next season.

The 20-year-old has had a huge impact during his loan spell at Vicarage Road and after time at Leicester City last season, the creative midfielder believes he is ready to make his mark at United.

He said: “Yes I definitely want to be part of the squad next season, that is every young players ambition at Manchester United. I feel I am doing well out on loan and I am doing as much as I can do to push for that place next season.”

Cleverley set a target of scoring ten goals this campaign when he arrived in August and reached double figures at the beginning of February, although he has been unable to add to that tally due to injury and suspension.

United boss Sir Alex Ferguson has set Cleverley a new goal target.

Speaking before Saturday's defeat to Peterborough, Cleverley said: “It will be tough to reach now I have missed five out of the last six games for Watford but I think I can still do it.”

When asked what Sir Alex's target was, the England Under-21 international replied: “I’ll tell you at the end of the season and whether I reached it.”

United assistant Reserve team manager Warren Joyce speaks regularly with Cleverley and comes to watch him two or three times a month.

Sir Alex invited Cleverley to join up with the first team squad when United played Arsenal at the Emirates Stadium at the end of January.

Cleverley said: “Warren Joyce comes and watches me two or three times a month so it is very good that Sir Alex will here how I am playing and getting dvds of my matches.

“They are always in contact and I think it is well-documented that I got invited to the Arsenal match to watch the first team there and that is when I saw Sir Alex and he had a quick word with me.

“As much as I am enjoying my time at Watford, I still want to show my face around Manchester United. It was a great day and the performance from United was an added bonus so I was really happy with the day.

“I got to speak to a lot of people and received advice off a lot of people which will help me for the rest of the season.”

Cleverley returned to the Watford line-up on Saturday after missing the three previous games through suspension and he is determined to learn from his first red card against Scunthorpe United.

Cleverley said: “It was a rush of blood to the head that I have to learn from. When I over-run the ball or mis-control the ball I cannot be reckless winning it back.

“If it is there to be won then I will win it, if it is not then I need to be more careful. It is a learning curve and I will learn from that.”

Cleverley is a Manchester United Academy graduate and was part of the promotion-winning Leicester City squad during his loan spell last season.

So the midfielder admits the end to Watford's season will be a new experience for him.

“I think that is what loan spells are all about, players learning different things,” Cleverley said.

“The last few years at Manchester United I have been involved with teams that are winning every week and it was the same at Leicester last season.

“This has been a new kettle of fish for me but it is a challenge that I am thoroughly enjoying.”

PS18

I'd feel a lot better about things if we heard something about a new contract.

Status
Not open for further replies.