Tom Cleverley

Status
Not open for further replies.

Donut

The signs seem very similar to those of Evans. If he could do as well as him :drool: .

Great Hat

Interesting interview. One of my mates is a big Watford fan and claims that he and most of his mates reckon Cleverley is the best player in their squad currently; which is a big accolade considering he's not had the time to develop the understanding and experience some others in the side have. He's scored an impressive amount of goals in his time there too (the one against Boro being one of the most important of those).

Shame that Cathcart seems to have struggled there. I guess SAF will decide whether another loan spell or some time in the reserves would be a good option, or whether he might be let go. Unfortunate, anyway, as he looked promising in his time at our academy - he did well as our Youth Cup captain and fairly well at Antwerp and Plymouth, after that.

One can wonder if that many stints of being loaned out might lose a player confidence though. Fergie even admitted he'd made that mistake with Lee Martin, when he went to Ipswich.

twitter thread suggester
Cleverley apparently didn't have the best of games yesterday in Watford's 1-0 defeat to Derby. Though none of their players did well according to the Watford forum.

• Cleverley- 6 He also struggled to get into the game. He was quite anonymous in the middle and some his passes weren't great. He tried hard but just couldn't show his ability.
  • Even the likes of H and Cleverley seemed well off their game today.
  • Cleverley 6
  • Cleverley never got going.
  • We were too narrow in the midfield. Malky took too long to put Cleverley on the wing.
  • Cleverley was quieter than usual
Derby reaction - Page 2 - WFC Forums

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
Should we that surprised? He played a blinder on a sapping pitch against QPR and it's bound to have some reaction. Not making an excuse for the lad but in the competitive inferno that is the Championship with the games coming so quick, he bound to have a dip now and again

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
Again had a very good forum according to that watford forum although couple of posters had varied opinion on his performance
  • Cleverley- 7.5 Got involved a lot in the game and what he did was usually good. His passing was very good and he showed a lot of skill. Some of his decision making at times wasn't great and as someone said he seems quite selfish at the moment.
  • Demerit was fantastic, as was Cleverley.
  • Cleverly ran the show - seems to a country mile ahead of the rest of our squad, which, Hodson aside, seemed to be a support act.
  • I suspect teams are learning how to play Cleverley more so he doesn't have as much time and space to produce the goods .
  • He does a lot without actually 'doing' anything. I swear he used to be able to beat a man but now every single time he gets the ball he cuts inside. It's so predictable. Then again he did make our best opportunities

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
Watford have 2 minutes to find an equaliser against 10-man Bristol City (Nyatanga sent off).

Come on Cleverley...
Watford have equalized, Eustace scores

Maajid

Formerly Mad
Haven't seen it myself, but from what I hear Cleverley's goal was a well struck volley.

Striker10

"Ronaldo and trophies > Manchester United football
I think if we play him in pre season and he's looking the part we should give him the chance to play. Let's face it, in his brief outings albiet in 'minor' games for the first team - he's looked comfortable. He can't do any more for watford then he's been doing. Why not?

datura

The quotes from him all seem to indicate that he wants to get back to United in the summer and try to force his way into the first team squad. I think he will be given that chance rather than being sent on loan again.

Striker10

I hope everyone realises he's in the final year of his contract!

:nervous:
That'll be sorted out. Cleverley obviously wants to stay, I can't imagine us being willing to let him go. Nice goal to.

Anduin

:houllier: "fans" eh?
Well, Cleverley has done nothing so far to suggest he's better than Park, but it wouldn't be a big surprise if in the end he turns out to be more productive. Not that much of a big ask considering Park offers very little in terms of goals/assists and generally going forward.

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
Well, Cleverley has done nothing so far to suggest he's better than Park, but it wouldn't be a big surprise if in the end he turns out to be more productive. Not that much of a big ask considering Park offers very little in terms of goals/assists and generally going forward.
Physically he can offer more already and he also has a knack of turning up in the penalty area and scoring as he did in his 1st appearance against Valencia.Something Park has lost, hence my comment

Crerand Legend

I can see him playing for us next season. More effective than Park
Definitely, I think he signed a new contract recently but I wouldnt be surprised if he left this summer, Cleverly has to be given a chance at the top level with us

Striker10

I think he will. We might be tempted to loan him to a premiership club for a few months to get him games and access his levels but we'd be crazy to sell him and he's always made the right noises. I imagine his futures at United

Mainoldo

I think he will. We might be tempted to loan him to a premiership club for a few months to get him games and access his levels but we'd be crazy to sell him and he's always made the right noises. I imagine his futures at United
Doubt we will loan him out again next season... Many that get loaned out twice don't make it here!! Next season will be his break through season for us... So hopefully it goes well for him.

Elliott

Likes Loan Stickies
Doubt we will loan him out again next season... Many that get loaned out twice don't make it here!! Next season will be his break through season for us... So hopefully it goes well for him.
He's been loaned out twice already.

Striker10

That maybe the case. I'm not saying we will or even would and yes I would imagine next season too

datura

Maybe he's just hanging around sorting out his contract, and it just happens he gets to watch us play in doing so?

Watford's next match is Tuesday, after all.
It's a good chance to integrate him with the first team and experience the build up to a big match as I would expect him to be in the first team squad next season.

x42bn6

It's a good chance to integrate him with the first team and experience the build up to a big match as I would expect him to be in the first team squad next season.
True, but the more cynical part of me tells me that we're either keeping him around to do his contract to ensure he'll be here next season... Or sorting out the final details of a transfer today. :(

datura

True, but the more cynical part of me tells me that we're either keeping him around to do his contract to ensure he'll be here next season... Or sorting out the final details of a transfer today. :(
I would be shocked if we let him go, or that he'd even want to leave given the content of his interviews this season and the quality of his performances. I think he'll get a chance next season to establish himself in the first team squad.

Status
Not open for further replies.