Tom Cleverley

Status
Not open for further replies.

Striker10

"Ronaldo and trophies > Manchester United football
He's rated highly but I don't think anyone could have known it'd be this easy for him. The assists/goals....very impressive

cj_sparky

I loved the fact he just seemed to pop up all the time in space wanting the ball ala Scholes.

He had a really good game, is coming on leaps and bundles.

Chris H

Video Posting God

Cleverley, on loan from Manchester United, sprinted clear in stoppage time to finish the contest. - The Times
Certainly no problems with his stamina. Not the first time he's done that this season either, he seems to finish matches very well.

Cold_Boy

Amazing how he has suddenly improved.

I almost don't remember being a Manchester United youth player.

prateik

he got injured .. went on a preseason tour with us 2 years back .. kept improving since. . its remarkable how much he has improved
was on loan in league 1 in jan .. wasnt sure how he'd do .. did very well.
and now at the end of the year , i think he is ready for a few premierleague sides already

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
he got injured .. went on a preseason tour with us 2 years back .. kept improving since. . its remarkable how much he has improved
and now at the end of the year , i think he is ready for a few premierleague sides already
My God you're obsessed:lol:

Let's hope he doesn't disappoint, you'd be mortified, suicidal even:lol:

Decotron

He scored in that preseason (was it in America or something?)

He did well at Leicester but in a different type of role. All good experience although looking at him now his future has to be in the middle, not a natural wide player as mentioned a few times recently.

datura

It was the South African tour he scored in.

I see him as a wide player initially, that is where he has played the bulk of his games for Leicester and Watford and impressed. His versatility is an asset but with the competition for places in the centre he is likely to get more game time as a wide player.

sincher

"I will cry if Rooney leaves"
Nah, he's not really a wingman. He can definitely play there, but his game is better suited to central midfield IMO.

Decotron

Yeah thats true but I think long term he wont end up near the wing. Stamina, composure, an eye for a pass never mind his finishing. all attributes better suited to the middle imo. I know what you mean initially though. Funnily enough it was none of the above that impressed me last night it was his drive and will to win. Hallmarks of a United player.

Escobar

Shameless Musketeer
What about his technique, dribbling, pace and vision?

Is there some sort of compilation of him?

Pogue Mahone

Swiftie Fan Club President
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Nah, he's not really a wingman. He can definitely play there, but his game is better suited to central midfield IMO.
Sambachan compared his style to that of Iniesta, which is a good (albeit wildly optimistic!) comparison IMO. Starts off out on the wing but ends up as a central midfielder whose main strength is the ability to dribble past players and score/create goals.

samabachan

Football is about glory, it is about doing things
Sambachan compared his style to that of Iniesta, which is a good (albeit wildly optimistic!) comparison IMO. Starts off out on the wing but ends up as a central midfielder whose main strength is the ability to dribble past players and score/create goals.
Hehe. I don't think he's got the same quality as Iniesta by a long stretch, or at least he still has an awful lot to prove, but the styles are reminiscent at least

EDIT: here's his goal from last night:

www.todayfoot.com League Championship: Watford 3-1 Queens Park 07/12/2009 :: ÷ÉÄÅÏ ÎÁ RuTube

and the second goal which he assisted (can't see much though unfortunately)

www.todayfoot.com League Championship: Watford 2-1 Queens Park 07/12/2009 :: ÷ÉÄÅÏ ÎÁ RuTube

Elliott

Likes Loan Stickies
He was excellent yesterday. He definitely has the mentality of a United player and he seems to be incredibly dedicated to his football. I'd be very surprised if this guy stagnates, injuries permitting. I agree with those who see his long term future in a central position.

twitter thread suggester
I love reading Watford's forum after games, they are completely smitten with the kid.
Though one would think they'd be more grateful towards 'Moan United'.

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
The BBC Person of the Decade nomination,Lloyd Doyley, made me giggle

Pogue Mahone

Swiftie Fan Club President
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Those Watford fans really do rate him, don't they?

Fergie rates Malky very highly and even had his say on him being given the watford job.As much as I dislike man utd Fergie is very important to us,he let's his players come here,he trusts our club to look after their players,it bodes well for us keeping Cleverly and gaining more loan signings from man utd.

I believe Cleverley is the next Ryan giggs,a far younger version of him chomping at the bit to take his place,and I can see that happening sooner rather than later.

Tom is a brilliant young footballer and reality is he wont be back next season so enjoy his football while he is here,we are a poorer side without him

I've no problem with him having ambition to play in Utd's side,it's every young players dream to be in the 1st team at a prem club,and especially at teams like man utd and Arsenal..

Chris H

Video Posting God
From that Watford board. Lots of praise, but differing assessments of his overall class, as you might expect with any young player.

Cleverley - United have a gem there - oh how I wish we could sign him - he never stopped running all game and is not afraid of recieving the ball in any position.
Cleverley- 8.5 Played in the centre of midfield and completely ran the show. He ran with the ball well, passed very well, crossed well and scored with a nice finish. His work-rate was also very good as usual. Also got a nice assist for Cowie.
Where ever Cleverley goes to at the end of the season I wish him the best of luck. Hes a cracking player with a very bright future ahead of him. I can understand why he'l leave Moan Utd, theres too many midfielders ahead of hm. If he was a couple of years younger he mightve had a chance but Gibson has really made a claim for his place over the last couple of games, so unless Cleverley wants to play reserve team at Moan Utd for a fair few years, hes gonna have to leave. Pity its not to join us but thats football.
Im sure lots of clubs are running a rule over TC. Fergie is no idiot and he will not have done any kind of deal with Newcastle. He is on loan for a reason and boy am i happy here is with us...He is always wanting the ball, superb engine, has goals in him, passing tackling. He will just keep getting better. He is a joy to watch and his play with Cowie lastnight was fantastic on a carp pitch.
How anyone can compare him to Gibson is beyond me... If or when TC is given the chance for Uniteds first team and im positive he will. Then make some comparisions...

Virtuoso

Cheers for the video Ed, Cleverley has been nothing short of superb for Watford. He showed a lot of promise in our Academy/Reserves but I always felt there were players ahead of him in terms of potential and talent though he is really propelling himself into the limelight and more importantly, into the manager's thinking with his consistently high level of performance for Watford and looks like a top prospect.

samabachan

Football is about glory, it is about doing things
Cheers for the video Ed, Cleverley has been nothing short of superb for Watford. He showed a lot of promise in our Academy/Reserves but I always felt there were players ahead of him in terms of potential and talent though he is really propelling himself into the limelight and more importantly, into the manager's thinking with his consistently high level of performance for Watford and looks like a top prospect.
Who would have thought if you had asked 3 years ago that Cleverley would be our most likely first teamer from the class born 89!

Elliott

Likes Loan Stickies
Who would have thought if you had asked 3 years ago that Cleverley would be our most likely first teamer from the class born 89!
I certainly wouldn't, but it just goes to show that dedication is as important as God given talent. Of course you need quite a bit of the latter to get to where Cleverley is, but relatively speaking, as Virtuoso said, there were players from his intake who shone brighter early on.

Virtuoso

I certainly wouldn't, but it just goes to show that dedication is as important as God given talent. Of course you need quite a bit of the latter to get to where Cleverley is, but relatively speaking, as Virtuoso said, there were players from his intake who shone brighter early on.
Yep, I think also sometimes we forget that players progress at different rates - easy to forget in a footballing world where everyone knows of the new 16 year old wonderkids, and subsequently dismiss the steady 20-22 year old performers who are still improving.

oskarutd

Cleverley always impressed me. He was at first playing left back and I thought he was a year younger than he was. I had high hopes for him. But he has done better so for. Everything still left though!

twitter thread suggester
Name: Tom Cleverley
Club: Watford (on season-long loan from Manchester United)
Position: Midfielder
Date of Birth: 12 August 1989

Tell us about your debut
My first full game was for Leicester at home to Huddersfield. I was pretty nervous in the first half but settled into the game and did OK. We won 4-2. I was only at Leicester for three months but ended with a Championship medal.

What car do you drive?

An Audi A5. It might sound sensible, but it is quick.

What was your first car?
A Vauxhall Corsa. Then I bought an Audi A3 then the one I have now. So the Lamborghini is next. It can wait a few years though, when I have established myself.

Favourite film?
8-Mile or Shawshank Redemption. 8-Mile is decent, Eminem is good in it.

TV show?
I am hooked on Prison Break. If you haven't watched it, don't. You won't be able to stop and you'll waste all your time watching DVD after DVD.

Most expensive thing you have ever bought?
A 60-inch TV for my apartment in Manchester - it wasn't cheap. I am turning the place into a bachelor pad.

Do you do DIY?
No, I am shocking at it. Last night I tried to tune my telly and just couldn't do it. I am absolutely hopeless. I suppose I might have to learn how to do it when I move into my own place, but at the moment I have no idea.

Do you cook? If so, what's your specialty dish?
I don't much, my girlfriend does most of it. I can do a decent pasta dish with tomato. Actually that is all it is - pasta and tomato.

Funniest prank?
The other day Mariappa was caught by the old cup of water on top of a door trick. He got soaked and he wasn't happy. It is quite a routine trick at our place.

Best mate in football?
Daniel Drinkwater from United. He's on loan at Huddersfield and we keep in regular contact about how we are doing. I get on well with Henri Lansbury at Watford. He's on loan from Arsenal so our backgrounds are a bit similar. He was rooming with me, but now he's been relegated to someone else. My room-mate now is Craig Cathcart - the two United boys together.

If you weren't a footballer what would you be doing?
I like music, so I would like to be a DJ, even though I am not very good at it. At Watford the first time you go away with the team, you have to sing a song. I sang 'Ain't no Sunshine' - I had heard people doing it on X Factor so I thought it would be a good one to try. But there's no way I'd do it in front of an audience. We are OK playing football in front of a crowd, but I would never be talked into singing - even if it was with Elton John at Vicarage Road.

Tell us something we don't know about you.
My nickname is Chunks. But it has nothing to do with my weight. It goes back to when I was a kid at United and I couldn't say the 'tr' sound properly. I said 'swimming chunks' instead of 'trunks'. It has stuck with me through every club I have been at.

Which famous person would you like to meet?
David Beckham. I'd love to go out for a meal with him and chat about football and everything. I kind of met him once but only walked past.

Who is the most famous person in your phone?
Micah Richards

The Football League | News | Features | Features | 45 SECONDS WITH TOM CLEVERLEY

Status
Not open for further replies.