Tom Heaton

TMS

Assume Heaton will be the #3 purely based on his age, but wouldn't be appalled if he was the #2 behind Hendo. If DDG goes then we could even bring in Johnstone as the #2 and have all 3 of our 1st team GKs be from our academy!

Oranges038

Oblak will head to Juve. DDG gets to go home and everyone will be happy.

Big Ben Foster

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Supports
Also support Vasco da Gama
If he plays in our first team next season, would he be the oldest debutant from our academy?

Hughes35

Yep. This is our last chance to get any kind of transfer fee for him, or else get lumbered with his huge wages for years to come.

Whether Henderson sinks or swims remains to be seen. But even if he fails to cement his place, we'll get decent money for him next summer.

This goalkeeper strategy is spot on from United, imo.
Agreed.

Love/d DDG but it is time to cash in if we can. Free up a massive amount of wages and doesn't really harm the team (I actually prefer Dean currently).

Matthew84!

Will be a good back up for Henderson, Romero is leaving.
Grant hasn't been offered an extension
Joel pereira is leaving.
Hopefully DDG will no be allowed to leave

Bertie Wooster

I'd be very happy with this signing as 3rd choice. Satisfied with it, but with reservations, as 2nd choice.

He'd be a big upgrade on Grant as 3rd choice - someone I'd be very happy to start the occasional games.

But a big downgrade on either Henderson or De Gea (or Romero in his prime) as 2nd choice - someone that I'd be less confident starting a run of matches, or being the cup keeper at the q/f, s/f, final stage. Of course, that would be the point - that Henderson or De Gea are too good, and too expensive, to be a 2nd choice so we'd be knowingly bringing in an inferior option. With that in mind, Heaton would be a good, cheap, available option so it makes sense.

Last edited:

Smores

If we're going the Henderson route I'd like someone a bit better as our No 2 personally as we might need an actual challenger. I'd rather keep Romero than Heaton.

If he's a third choice keeper i couldn't give a shit, they're meaningless.

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
Heaton's problem isn't ability, it's his fitness record. Had a few bad injuries recently but it could be a very shrewd signing if we can use money recouped from De Gea to strengthen in other areas.

Brophs

The One and Only
I don’t really get what people want. It’s not normal to have a backup as good as De Gea (or even Romero for that matter). We’ve been spoiled with goalkeepers. Heaton is a really good PL keeper. He’d do a fine job when called upon at a fraction of DDG’s cost, if he ends up leaving.

Mickson

I don’t really get what people want. It’s not normal to have a backup as good as De Gea (or even Romero for that matter). We’ve been spoiled with goalkeepers. Heaton is a really good PL keeper. He’d do a fine job when called upon at a fraction of DDG’s cost, if he ends up leaving.
This. A very good third or even second-choice keeper. Knows the club, a cheap option, reliable when called up on, doesn't want to leave or demand to play. An excellent deal from United.

Tom Van Persie

No relation
He's a replacement for Romero.

The Aston Villa goalkeeper, 35, will return to the club where he started his career before establishing himself in the Premier League at Burnley. His contract at Villa Park expires next month and he is allowed to talk to other clubs about a pre-contract, with United moving swiftly for a reliable back-up to Dean Henderson and David De Gea.

Romero, 34, holds an Italian passport and has interest from Jose Mourinho at Roma among other Serie A clubs. The Argentina international, who played in the World Cup final, worked well with Mourinho during their time together at Old Trafford.

Mourinho will look at strengthening his goalkeeper department when he starts work at his new club in the summer, although Romero has sparked interest from other clubs as a free agent.

Alfie092

I prefer Romero as a number 2 but if Heaton is coming in to replace grant as a 3rd choice GK then that's an upgrade.

Saying that, with Buffon leaving Juve, I wouldn't mind him as a backup GK purely for his experience before he hangs up his gloves!

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
Didn't he do his ACL last season? I don't think he has actually played since then.

Not that I'd expect him to play for us either if he's stepping into the Lee Grant role.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Exactly.

Abraxas

He was a pretty good keeper a few years ago, not sure what his current ability is.

But clearly you do not need the level of number 2 we currently have so it suggests something may be in the works. It is a strange situation to have 2 keepers like we have on big money. I don't think it's as big a risk as people suggest to have a number 2 like this. If a main keeper is out for a year of course that is regrettable but it is the same as every other position when a major player is lost - you will suffer. Only it is a far more remote possibility that a serious injury occurs in the first place so it's a chance that is fairly logical to take instead of wasting resources.

Acole9

Outstanding
I think he might be second choice rather than third. Why would he leave Villa to be third choice.

NYAS

Oblak is most definitely not going to Juve, as they are broke and getting Donnarumma on a free. He could only go to Paris, and that’s if they want to make Navas back-up.

Edit: Possibly Inter but I doubt they can afford it.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
Not interested. People might think this is mad, but I'd take Buffon at 43 as a backup GK just for his character and experience. Would boost Henderson's progress no question.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
Honestly, he's about as good a back up as we could hope for.

BorisManUtd

That would confirm Romero and Grant are leaving, and possibly De Gea as well. Is he good enough these days atm to be a 2nd choice GK or is more like a Grant signing?

Last edited:

Scholsey2004

Thats back up for Henderson sorted then. De Gea simply must be leaving. You dont give your back up goalkeeper a £100,000 a week contract unless you plan on him being first choice and you absolutely never in a million years have a £350,000 a week back up goalkeeper unless youre off your meds.

Fitchett

Heaton played a blinder for Burnley when they drew 2-2 at Old Trafford two seasons back. Will be a great backup to Henderson for us. Both Academy players too.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Whats the logic towards this signing? Romero shipped out and 1 of DeGea or Henderson to be let go?
Grant retiring too. But yeah obviously we can't keep both de gea and Henderson (IMO neither are good enough anymore anyway), so it was always going to be someone like this to be #2.

Tom Van Persie

No relation
He's a replacement for Romero/Grant. I'm not sure how anyone can complain about this. Heaton is a solid GK.

bsCallout

Grant retiring too. But yeah obviously we can't keep both de gea and Henderson (IMO neither are good enough anymore anyway), so it was always going to be someone like this to be #2.
"Neither are good enough anymore" Hendersons only 24.