Tom Thorpe

gooDevil

Worst scout ever
As far as Thorpe goes, I don't think being asked to play a lot of games in midfield helped his reputation. I'm sure it will help in the long run, give him better awareness and improve his passing, but he didn't stand out there.

For the first half of the season I thought Josh King was the best player, but he's not here to be voted for.

Genius Me!

Proud EE fan, 10k club member & NSFW crew member
I must admit, I haven't seen much of Wootton in the reserves and it may be unfair for me to judge him based on his senior appearances but in the games that he played with Michael in the first team Michael stood out a hell of a lot. I remember Michael stepping up to clean up Woottons mistakes. It may be unfair for me to judge him on that alone but that's the bulk of what I have to go on.

But Tom Thorpe I have to say I don't have an opinion on him and would like to see him go on a decent loan. He's only 20 himself, so he's still young enough to make something of himself.

gooDevil

Worst scout ever
Yeah, and I turned that Chelsea game off after they leveled so I didn't see Wootton's mistakes in extra time, so I don't have that in my head to hold against him.

Neither made many mistakes for the reserves, I just thought Wootton was quicker to react, more aggressive while remaining under control and better at defensive headers by a bit. He would usually be the one to go out and challenge balls while Keane stayed back to cover.

Gerald G

Anyone else find it a bit odd he hasnt gone out on loan yet?? I remember him being linked with Oldham at one point.
Definitely with you on this. The only thing I can think of is his height and physique. He isn't the biggest defender but he's a very good defender. Brilliant on the ball too. I'm baffled as to why he hasn't gone on loan yet.

But equally as baffling for me is that M.Keane hasn't gone on loan again.

MPTutd

Problem is that if we let Keane and Thorpe go who will be left for CB in the U21's? We let Fornasier, Wootton, McCollogh and McGinty go. And there are not many coming through for the U18's in the last year or two.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Problem is that if we let Keane and Thorpe go who will be left for CB in the U21's? We let Fornasier, Wootton, McCollogh and McGinty go. And there are not many coming through for the U18's in the last year or two.
I always thought that Fornasier was a good centre-half, was surprised he never progressed at all here.

datura

I imagine he wants him for Carling Cup to see him play in the first team. Given our recent history of injuries to CB's maybe not a bad idea to keep him.

We have Blackett who can play CB, but generally it's not about results so I wouldn't think they'd hold them back just for the u21s. The u19s in the CL have given extra pressure on numbers so that's probably a factor too.

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
The trouble with Thorpe can be that is he's maybe too much for a footballer for a Championship side looking for a defender.

I know this sounds too weird to be true, but certainly a possibility.

Joemo

whistling in the wind
Yeah he's not the type to lump it up to the tall, strong lone striker after making an interception. I'd say a team like Wigan would be good for him - they played good football under Martinez and under Coyle it hasn't regressed majorly.

Decotron

Yeah he's not the type to lump it up to the tall, strong lone striker after making an interception. I'd say a team like Wigan would be good for him - they played good football under Martinez and under Coyle it hasn't regressed majorly.
Dont let the Europa league fool you!!!! It has from what Ive seen in the championship so far.....

dr.twinny

I'm surprised he's not lined up for a loan deal to be honest. He's already 20, and needs some first team football under his belt this season.

Genius Me!

When this thread was bumped I got excited in the hope that he had a loan lined up :(

jeston

Loan window closed today at 5pm so he'll have to wait until January..

Decotron

Played well last night I thought. Another match where he reminded me of J Evans. he seems to read the game far better than some of his peers. Its rare you see him making last gasp tackles etc.

Fingers crossed he gets a decent move in Jan. Wigan with a new manager could be a option now again. Id imagine their next manager will play a more familiar style than Coyle did.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Him and Blackett off to Brum. Good loan for them. Our 21s will look very different by the next game, half the team seems to be heading out today!

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Him and Blackett off to Brum. Good loan for them. Our 21s will look very different by the next game, half the team seems to be heading out today!

Genius Me!

It's taken time for his loan but if he gets a chance he's going to shine

FromTheBench

Agree with most of this article. Got to wonder about his future.

Stobzilla

Official Team Perv

Agree with most of this article. Got to wonder about his future.
I think it has been gone over before with a number of players (Wilson and Lawrence mainly) but I don't think it is any slight on Thorpe's perceived abilities as a centre back, more that we needed to leave some players back to cover our other pre-season commitments. I reckon Thorpe will get a few run-outs should draws be favourable in the cups this year.

FromTheBench

I think it has been gone over before with a number of players (Wilson and Lawrence mainly) but I don't think it is any slight on Thorpe's perceived abilities as a centre back, more that we needed to leave some players back to cover our other pre-season commitments. I reckon Thorpe will get a few run-outs should draws be favourable in the cups this year.
Wilson was going on tour anyway, but he got injured. Lawrence is a year younger plus had lots of competition in his positions so both of those are understandable. Also both have already made their first team debut in the Prem as well.

Thorpe is 21 and hasn't even played a game or had a sub appearance for our first team yet and never gone on pre season tours. It's a bit odd as we were short in numbers at CB as well this time. (He was away with England U20's last time IIRC.)

He has always been among the top performers at all age levels for us and was even the standout defender for our youth cup winning crop, but Guess he was bit unlucky with getting a good loan so late in his development and then getting injured so soon into his loan. Plus he hasn't had a growth spurt that Keane had so his height and leap have remained a bit on the shorter side for CB.

It's really make it or break it time for his United career this coming season, i imagine and i don't think actually staying in the U21s with few cup games will do him any good anymore. He pretty much bossed it more than Keane as well for the first half of last season before both went on loan. He now needs to show he can actually do it in first team games somewhere regularly, and is tough enough to do so against Grown men consistently as he showed somewhat in his brief interrupted spell at Birmingham from reports.

Edit - Interesting, btw how Joyce singled him out again along with Harrop for praise vs Barnsley mentioning how he and the defence had dealt with their big guys specifically.

Last edited:

gooDevil

Worst scout ever
If you had asked be before the tour, I'd have suggested that Tom Thorpe is 3 times the center back Blackett is or ever will be.

I'd guess van Gaal would want him in the squad considering his use of Blackett.

Decotron

Really hope he gets a chance in the first team at some point. I think he'll surprise a few people given his ability on the ball. I still rate him above the rest (Keane and Blackett) although without any first team football thus far its difficult to see him breaking through when the season starts. Fingers crossed as skill set wise hes very suited to LVG's systems....

In Rainbows

Really hope he gets a chance in the first team at some point. I think he'll surprise a few people given his ability on the ball. I still rate him above the rest (Keane and Blackett) although without any first team football thus far its difficult to see him breaking through when the season starts. Fingers crossed as skill set wise hes very suited to LVG's systems....
I rate him above Keane too. Despite his height, I was always impressed with his defending and distribution.

Golden Nugget

I've never seen him play, but from what I have read he is very highly rated and was more highly rated than Keane. Surprised that he hasn't been given a chance, but I assume Blackett got a chance over him as he was left footed and Keane due to his first team experience on loan.

gooDevil

Worst scout ever
Keane has been praised as being better on the ball than Thorpe, with a bit more speed and agility.

For me, Thorpe is better in the air where he is very strong, and better as reading the ball in the air and getting to the spot. He's also stronger in the box at holding off his man.

Thorpe has played a fair number of games in midfield but Keane is

Elliott

Likes Loan Stickies
Keane has been praised as being better on the ball than Thorpe, with a bit more speed and agility.

For me, Thorpe is better in the air where he is very strong, and better as reading the ball in the air and getting to the spot. He's also stronger in the box at holding off his man.

Thorpe has played a fair number of games in midfield but Keane is
Not how I see it. Thorpe is quicker than Keane, especially over short distances.