Tom Thorpe

dutchred

Id agree on that as well.

I also think Thorpe is a good bit better with the ball (although Keane has improved a lot in this regard in the last 12 months).
I think Tom is the best young Center Back we have. He should be given a chance before Keane. Hopefully LvG will see that fairly soon

Mickson

Thorpe have been excellent at youth level. He is smart, fairly quick, reads the game well and good on the ball. Better than Keane at youth level. But how does he perform against senior players? I don't know, but it's not a coincidence that he's never been given a chance in a pre season tour. It can't be. They see something we don't. But as I said; I would like to see hem against senior players, because he is unproven there.

FromTheBench

Keane is now better than thorpe in the air actually and stronger.

Thorpe has always been more impressive at youth levels but Keane has been ahead of him ever since he had his first team debut first.

Mickson

Keane is now better than thorpe in the air actually and stronger.

Thorpe has always been more impressive at youth levels but Keane has been ahead of him ever since he had his first team debut first.
I can agree with that. He is physically stronger which is why he is ahead of Thorpe imo. How would Thorpe perform against a big english striker? Need to go on loan asap!

FromTheBench

I can agree with that. He is physically stronger which is why he is ahead of Thorpe imo. How would Thorpe perform against a big english striker? Need to go on loan asap!
He went on loan to Birmingham last season and got injured first match. Went back again and did well. Blackett was there too.

Was speaking to a Birmingham fan and he said he was very surprised Blackett was ahead of him (And maybe Keane) for United.

Drainy

He went on loan to Birmingham last season and got injured first match. Went back again and did well. Blackett was there too.

Was speaking to a Birmingham fan and he said he was very surprised Blackett was ahead of him (And maybe Keane) for United.
Balance is the major deciding factor. Blackett is a very talented lad who had a couple of years of stagnation, but he brings balance to the left hand side of the three centrebacks that Keane doesn't- and other more senior players wouldn't if they were shunted on the left hand side. Fingers crossed he continues to impress, anyway.

Decotron

Really hope he gets an opportunity in the first team soon before he's just sent out on loan. I genuinely think he'll do better than Keane has thus far.

Thought his challenge on the edge of the box against Liverpool was top class.

kundalini

Needs a decent loan spell. Championship this season then perhaps Premier League next season. I wonder if his chance of getting mins on the pitch for the first team just disappeared. Certainly unlucky not to feature given the number of youngsters who did play.

FromTheBench

Baffling decision to start Vermijl out of position when Thorpe was available.
I think he wanted experience Centrally in Evans and Thorpe is most suited to that role.

Anyway, the way we played last 30 minutes i doubt he would have fared better either. But he deserves his chance already.

Heffo

Yep, when I saw the team I was annoyed with two things: Hernandez starting over Wilson and Vermijl starting over Thorpe. Can't really understand the way Thorpe has been handled by the club over the past few years.

Conrad

I was a bit confused by it as well but I think it just comes down to vermijl being more comfortable playing on the left of the defence.

FromTheBench

I hope not. He needs a loan imo and I don't think he'll get much play time here.
Agreed.

He needs a good loan now in the championship to show he can do it against the big boys as well. Keeping him as a reserve option will do him no benefit.

khoazany

Felt in love with his performance in the anchor role on Monday (not in a homosexual way).There must be some reasons why he has been overlooked by every manager so far but he's really a joy to watch and proved everything he can at this level.

FromTheBench

Surprised he hasn't gone out on loan already as he doesn't seem in first team plans.

Should send him out to play somewhere regularly in the championship along with a few others who now need loans too.

khoazany

Surprised he hasn't gone out on loan already as he doesn't seem in first team plans.

Should send him out to play somewhere regularly in the championship along with a few others who now need loans too.
I suspect LVG want to start watching more of those U21s lads he hasn't promoted now with the first team has been more settled.The loan window has just been reopened for a week so he can still go on loan later if he's not on LVG's plan at all for this season.

I'm still thinking we have some sort of plan for him otherwise we would have sold him already like we did with Lawrence etc

Performance on Monday certainly didn't do him any harm as he proved his capacity in both positions that the first team is currently lacking a bit in number.

Señor

Humongous twit who can't read
Felt in love with his performance in the anchor role on Monday (not in a homosexual way).There must be some reasons why he has been overlooked by every manager so far but he's really a joy to watch and proved everything he can at this level.
Very strange, I must say. He hasn't even been loaned out either.

khoazany

Oh look, a center back who has played center back.

I wonder if we might could use a center back.

He's quite good, no mistakes.
Really hope we'll see him at least on the bench for the next match now Blackett is suspended and Evans injured.

RedMilo

I hope given the current injury problems and lack of being able to bring a defender in until Jan Tom gets a chance. He has captained the U21's more times that I care to remember and always looks assured when he plays.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
Tom's older than Blackett, ain't he?

I haven't followed the youngsters closely these last few years, so I don't feel comfortable making any sort of prediction. But the little I know seems to indicate he's fairly good on the ball - isn't that right? He's played in a holding role at times, I believe.

footballgirl07

This is his chance now. Hopefully he does well.
Same. Felt for him after his loan spell at Birmingham was cut short with the ankle injury and he is good player. Huge step up for him but we have no one else.