Tom Thorpe

Elliott

Likes Loan Stickies
He got a point thought.Everyone who watched the Sunderland match, especially if it's the first time you watch him live in person, will probably think he could become a good holding midfielder which is not so far from the truth.

Still I hope LVG won't consider him to be "behind Anderson so shouldn't be in the squad" if that's the case.
I don't think an impressive 45 minutes in midfield will disqualify him from being part of Louis' CB pondering given that he's been our best defender for every one of the remaining three and a half games this season.

gooDevil

Worst scout ever
I don't think an impressive 45 minutes in midfield will disqualify him from being part of Louis' CB pondering given that he's been our best defender for every one of the remaining three and a half games this season.
It won't, Thorpe has played a good bit at CM, but while he's solid I can't imagine someone rating him higher there than at CB.

I think the idea is to give him time at CM to help him understand better how to interact with CMs while in defense, and to let him work on his passing, vision and touch while getting on the ball more. These days a top CB needs to be a good passer on top of everything else.

Ole's_toe_poke

Ole_Aged_Slow_Poke
I've always been impressed with Thorpe. He's such a classy player. I've always wondered why he's never gotten a chance.

He's always impressed me more than Blackett ever did at youth level for example.

mo0

one of three Manchester United players in the victorious England U17 crew of 2010 and the only one, of that trio, to have not made a first team appearance.

who can name the other two? :)

Red For Ever

one of three Manchester United players in the victorious England U17 crew of 2010 and the only one, of that trio, to have not made a first team appearance.

Keane and ??

limerickcitykid

There once was a kid from Toronto...

Sam Johnstone hasn't made a first team appearance has he? Or did he play in the pre-season and you're counting that?

Ole's_toe_poke

Ole_Aged_Slow_Poke
Feel sorry for Thorpe.

If he can't get a game in these circumstances you'd think he has no future here.

limerickcitykid

There once was a kid from Toronto...
Aye, he's got to move on for his own development. He is a great talent and I rate him very highly but he isn't getting the chance to advance here and he is only stagnating staying in the reserves. He'll be a great pick up for any Championship for cheap as chips.

In Rainbows

Think he should leave too. I have always rated him as our best u21 cb and yet doesn't get a chance.

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
Easy there folks. Evans and Jones may not return so quickly.

Plenty of time for Thorpe to get the goddamn chance.

Sid234

Could it be that LvG see's him as a DM, and that's why he isn't considering him at CB?

itso 7

LVG seems to think he's a midfielder...
LVG has a history of doing that with players and it usually works a treat. So if he does think so then it's no big deal, he is steal young enough to master the role and could save us a few million.

Bwuk

Think he'll be a bit disappointed. I rate the lad though, shame we are out the league cup he could of got some games in that.

Decotron

Hmm. I've watched/read all post-match utterances I've chanced upon but so far nothing about Thorpe.
Im still hopeful of him starting games for us. Obviously McNair getting the nod ahead of him is disappointing from his point of view but he's on the premises now and will get a chance at some point, maybe even ahead of McNair.

gooDevil

Worst scout ever
McNair is out...will Thorpe finally get to start a real, for points football match for the first team of the club he's captained at Reserve level so many times?

Sid234

Looking at how bad his luck has been off late, wouldn't be surprised if LvG called up Vermijl to play at CB ahead of him if needed! :(

khoazany

Looking at how bad his luck has been off late, wouldn't be surprised if LvG called up Vermijl to play at CB ahead of him if needed! :(
Or Grimshaw.

McNair is out...will Thorpe finally get to start a real, for points football match for the first team of the club he's captained at Reserve level so many times?
Jones/Smalling will be back.

Devil may care

The thing is I imagine by the time we get back from the International break Jones will be fit to play.

Jammydodger7

Does anyone think tom is hard done by and deserves his chance? Afterall he was our best CB at u21 level!

Sid234

Does anyone think tom is hard done by and deserves his chance? Afterall he was our best CB at u21 level!
I can only see two reasons why Van Gall doesn't fancy him as a CB. One is his height and the second is that he might be a better DM than a CB