Tonali vs Longstaff

beingshe7don

Tonali is referred by many to as the New Pirlo because of this style of play as a deep-lying playmaker. At 5'11 and the age of 19, he looks like someone that could turn into a very good player. Obviously, he doesn't have the talent and skill of Frankie De Jong but he's very good on the ball. His ability to find his man in the final third is exceptional. With Ole's current mindset to build a young team, I could see him fit right in. He plays for Brescia at the moment and I feel it wouldn't take too much to prize him away before the likes of Juventus come and steal him or peanuts.

Yes, the video does show him having lots of time on the ball to make his pass and that in the PL, he won't have that luxury but I think he'll be able to adapt to the tempo of the PL.

Now Longstaff has been a player we've chased all summer and it seems like Ed and Ole wanted to get him but Newcastle didn't want to see him. We may actually go all out next summer if Newcastle get relegated. Longstaff seems like a decent player but he doesn't a lot of PL experience at the moment. I guess this season will be crucial in gaging his ability. Anyway, what do you guys think of Tonali vs. Longstaff?

Hawks2008

Longstaff obviously. He is hungry and gets the club.

In all seriousness, neither. We have lots of young players in and around the starting 11 so would rather go for a more proven option.

Tarrou

With the state of our midfield I'd take Mark Noble at this point.

I reckon we'll get Longstaff eventually though. We need a player of this ilk but Tonali seems very unlikely.

WireMUFC

Don’t want to pass judgement as it’s impossible to say, doubt many people have seen much of Brescia or Blackpool recently, If they have then fair enough.

YouTube vids aren’t enough for me personally.

SaintMuppet

Italians rarely do well over here, it happens but not often and usually with older established players.

So it’s Longdong and /thread

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
Tonali is easily the better talent.

But Longstaff is English, so Longstaff then.

Founder of IhateMakeleles.org and Gourcufffanboysa
The English conspiracy :lol:

Shock: English team signs English players.
You are clearly confused. First I haven't said a single thing about Longstaff being English. Nor indicated a problem with English sides signing English players.

Second, you clearly seem to believe Tonali is so much more talented than a Longstaff. I don't.

WireMUFC

You are clearly confused. First I haven't said a single thing about Longstaff being English. Nor indicated a problem with English sides signing English players.

Second, you clearly seem to believe Tonali is so much more talented than a Longstaff. I don't.
I meant to edit my post above sorry mate I’ve had a few beers.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
Are you one of those people that think we bought AWB and Maguire just because they’re English and not because they’re top PL players?
AWB is top top right back. Maguire is one of best CB in premier league.

Longstaff is not. He is a 21 year old midfielder who has only played handful of games, and whom we only rated at 15-20m and refuse to meet Newcastle asking price of 50m (which is the average price of decent premier league regular players these days), even we are seriously lacking options in midfield in the club, and where no other top clubs are interested.

Last edited:

WireMUFC

AWB is top top right back. Maguire is one of best CB in premier league.

Longstaff is not. He is a 21 year old midfielder who has only played handful of games, and whom we only rated at 15-20m and refuse to meet Newcastle asking price of 50m, and no other top clubs are interested.
You’re making no sense you said we’d sign Longstaff because he’s English.

WireMUFC

Do I? That's the club policy, I assume everyone knows it, except you.
People like you have a problem with us signing English players it’s weird, we are an English team..

We signed Maguire and AWB because they’re top players mate and have the added bonus of being English. They weren’t signed just because they’re English. Longstaff won’t be signed just because he’s English, we’ll sign him because we think he’s going to be a top player. Same reason we’ll sign Tonali if we think he’ll be a top player. It won’t be an absolute deciding factor though

How many Brescia, Blackpool and Newcastle games have you seen, if you’ve seen a lot then fair enough I respect your opinion on Longstaff and Tonali.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
People like you have a problem with us signing English players it’s weird, we are an English team..

We signed Maguire and AWB because they’re top players mate and have the added bonus of being English. They weren’t signed just because they’re English. Longstaff won’t be signed just because he’s English, we’ll sign him because we think he’s going to be a top player. Same reason we’ll sign Tonali if we think he’ll be a top player. It won’t be an absolute deciding factor though

How many Brescia, Blackpool and Newcastle games have you seen, if you’ve seen a lot then fair enough I respect your opinion on Longstaff and Tonali.
People like you have no problem with us starting many average English players, like Lingard.

Talent always comes first. I just don't rate Longstaff as highly as you do.
I have been following Tonali on and off for over 2 years. I think he is talented.

Last edited:

MDFC Manager

Even if Tonali is better, we should sign Longstaff. Let's not anger Gary Neville any further.

Bwuk

Don’t know anything about Tonali other than he’s excellent on FM.

I don’t rate Longstaff from what I’ve seen, and think the rumoured fees were ridiculous.

Omahahaha

What concerns me about the shift in transfer policy towards more British players is the value of it.
The best British players are already playing for Tottenham, City, Liverpool etc and are impossible to buy.

The transfer value of British players are inflated, partially because of the home grown rule and because of the richness of the league. Instead of a great English/British core we might end up with an Arsenal kind of mediocre English core from a few years ago.

Surely there are better value deals than Longstaff for a fortune, if we just do some scouting abroad.

That being said, I am happy about Maguire and AWB, I agree with them being top players.

Less happy about Lingard. Would we have bought him and renewed his contract all these years if he was signed from Brescia? I doubt it.

Founder of IhateMakeleles.org and Gourcufffanboysa
There is a hole host of talented English/British players NOT at Spurs, City or Pool precisely because the team building projects and English quotas are complete. United are still building. And we now have the advantage of picking up that British talent. And it's about time. Our British core has been in serious need of refreshing and upgrading

Last edited:

Omahahaha

There us a hole host of talented English/British players NOT at Spurs, City or Pool precisely because the team building projects and English quotas are complete. United are still building. And we now have the advantage of picking up that British talent. And it's about time. Our British core has been in serious need of refreshing and upgrading
That's another more optimistic way of looking at it.

I hope you are right!

pascell

I can see why we went for Longstaff and I think we'll be in for him again next summer. I think he'll eventually try to push for it too, if Newcastle finally poorly this season and we get CL football next season.

There's plenty of places in our CM so there's definitely room for Longstaff and Garner, maybe even more so next summer if Fred doesn't prove his worth this season.

AneRu

If Longstaff has a good season I'd gladly take him, he won't have any issues settling in Manchester and doesn't have to adjust to the PL. Looking at Veron, Kleberson and now Fred that's an important distinction.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
Has that ever been confirmed by the club?
Isn't it plain obvious? Lingard, Rashford, Greenwood, Mctominay, Shaw, Jones, Young, Macquire, AWB, James

All our recent signings (Maguire, AWB, James) or targets (Longstaff, Sancho etc) are British.

Don't get me wrong, i like some of them, and some of them are good signings too. Although some of them are not up to standard and we still persist on playing them. But we are definitely going to build a British core here, its so plain obvious even to the blind.

Last edited:

Tarrou

Isn't it plain obvious? Lingard, Rashford, Greenwood, Mctominay, Shaw, Jones, Young, Macquire, AWB, James

All our recent signings (Maguire, AWB, James) or targets (Longstaff, Sancho etc) are British.

Don't get me wrong, i like some of them, and some of them are good signings too. Although some of them are not up to standard and we still persist on playing them. But we are definitely going to build a British core here, its so plain obvious even to the blind.
So thats a no then?

Chipper

Adulterer.
Rice because this thread might be the first time I've ever heard of Tonali and Rice has played better Longstaff the times I've seen them. Was impressed with him at Old Trafford towards the end of last season.

Kemizee

What a ridiculous post.
Why is it ridiculous if I may ask? Manchester United is the only top club still stuck in the realms of fantasy, the past, creating another Class of 92, young, hungry and British stuff... We look like the kinda club that would buy Callum Hudson Odoi instead of Mbappe simply because 'he gets the club, will settle in and will enhance the British quouta' and all that... I understand his sentiments. It is not a ridiculous post.

M Bison

Supports
York City
Why is it ridiculous if I may ask? Manchester United is the only top club still stuck in the realms of fantasy, the past, creating another Class of 92, young, hungry and British stuff... We look like the kinda club that would buy Callum Hudson Odoi instead of Mbappe simply because 'he gets the club, will settle in and will enhance the British quouta' and all that... I understand his sentiments. It is not a ridiculous post.
Ok, if you say so :rolleyes:

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
If you have never watched Tonali play, just go away please.

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
Are you one of those people that think we bought AWB and Maguire just because they’re English and not because they’re top PL players?
It's a combination of both: Investing in the top British talent, or we would have just gone for run of the mill foreigners like Rojo,Darmian