Tonali vs Longstaff

the_box

Supports
Newcastle United
Why is it an undisclosed fee?
Most of them are these days, aren't they? Although I'd actually like to know it too, as the range in reports varies way more than usual - from £52-55m in non-Italian media to £60-75m inside Italy. My instinct tells me the latter is just saving face by their lot.

Crimson King

Most of them are these days, aren't they? Although I'd actually like to know it too, as the range in reports varies way more than usual - from £52-55m in non-Italian media to £60-75m inside Italy. My instinct tells me the latter is just saving face by their lot.
The more reliable sources seem to suggest it's €60m + €10m in add-ons, but we have no way of knowing how achievable they are.

So that's around £52m guaranteed, with another £8m potentially. Definitely at the lower end of what the Italian media are putting out, so you're probably right in saying some face saving is involved.

Redstain

Good business. The midfield signings this summer are pretty respectable among many of the top 6.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Or maybe Newcastle want to show they got the player for decent fee.

Usually the difference is because buying club try to project the base fee as the fee, whereas the selling club includes all possible add-ons.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
80 million euros including bonuses as per Di Marzio, that's a good fee for Milan if they reinvest all of that.

SAFMUTD

I remember Tonali being really hyped as a youngsters in Italy. I don't regularly watch serie A so I don't know how he performed there, the games I saw Milan in UCL he didn't stand up as a 80M player so it'll be interesting to see how he manages in the EPL.

Apparently his defensive stats are not impressive but his goal contributions aren't either so maybe he's one of those whose work doesn't reflect on stats?

kidbob

I've seen him lots for Milan and in particular against the Irish U21s. None of what I've seen make him look like a great player. His 'name' is apparently worth much more than what his current level is. Maybe Howe can turn potential into reality but they have likely paid 60m+ for him and that makes the Mount deal look like an absolute bargain. Mount has shown a much higher level of performance so far.

redshaw

Titan vs Leviathan

Surprised to see an Italian move from AC Milan that were recent league winners and CL semi-finalists.

Andy 1892

Supports
Newcastle
I've seen him lots for Milan and in particular against the Irish U21s. None of what I've seen make him look like a great player. His 'name' is apparently worth much more than what his current level is. Maybe Howe can turn potential into reality but they have likely paid 60m+ for him and that makes the Mount deal look like an absolute bargain. Mount has shown a much higher level of performance so far.
How much is "lots"? Milan fans on Reddit aren't happy about his departure at all, and with all respect, I'd value their opinion more.

Howe's system made Longstaff and Willock look like top midfielders for large parts of last season (by the "eye test" at least), consistently bossing and overrunning supposedly better players and better midfields. From what I gather, Tonali is a massive upgrade on Longstaff, bringing the same engine but with some actual quality. If that is the case, I can't see this being a bad singing.