Tonali vs Longstaff

SportingCP96

emotional range of a teaspoon
Supports
Sporting Clube de Portugal
I don't think either would start at United right now but Tonali is for sure the better player with better potential.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
For ManUtd I don't want either of them. Want CM who will take us to next level. If we want young CMs then we have potentially very good one in Garner.

Tonali is new Pirlo just like Poli was new Pirlo. Same with Longstaff and whoever he is compared with.

MiceOnMeth

Tonali is currently on 88 overall in my fifa 19 career mode let's get him!

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
That lonfstaff comp is basically shots and tackles. English bias showing there :lol:

Stacks

Tonali is nailed on for Juve or Milan. Don't waste our time speculating or getting optimistic. Like I said before I'll reserve judgement on Longstaff in 10-15 games.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
Italians rarely do well over here, it happens but not often and usually with older established players.

So it’s Longdong and /thread
I've seen this bandied about quite a bit. But the reality is the sample size is far too small to make any definitive judgment on whether or not young Italian players can hack it in the Prem. Quality is quality and I'd be very happy to be picking up the most promising players from just about anywhere, Italy no less than other countries that consistently produce class players.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
I've seen this bandied about quite a bit. But the reality is the sample size is far too small to make any definitive judgment on whether or not young Italian players can hack it in the Prem. Quality is quality and I'd be very happy to be picking up the most promising players from just about anywhere, Italy no less than other countries that consistently produce class players.
I don't remember an actually good young italian player moving to the prem. Only ones i can think of are giuseppe rossi and macheda, who were united academy products anyways

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
I don't remember an actually good young italian player moving to the prem. Only ones i can think of are giuseppe rossi and macheda, who were united academy products anyways
Aquilani. Went to Liverpool.

Chipper

Adulterer.
Balotelli, Santon, Kean?

Materazzi in a Jesse Lingard sort of way as he was 25. Not young as such, but he did blossom/improve from that time so he seemingly was still learning.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Balotelli, Santon, Kean?

Materazzi in a Jesse Lingard sort of way as he was 25. Not young as such, but he did blossom/improve from that time so he seemingly was still learning.
Santon was never good, Kean we'll see

Mario, yeah, forgot about him. Inter were desperate to be rid of him though because he was a moron, and that's also why he kinda didn't work out at city

Never even knew about Materazzi :eek: how was he?

PS: Gattuso went to Rangers at 19 and we've always been "told" he was great over there and something of a cult figure. In fact, quite a few italians went to scotland in those years and did quite well iirc

Chipper

Adulterer.
Santon was never good, Kean we'll see

Mario, yeah, forgot about him. Inter were desperate to be rid of him though because he was a moron, and that's also why he kinda didn't work out at city

Never even knew about Materazzi :eek: how was he?

PS: Gattuso went to Rangers at 19 and we've always been "told" he was great over there and something of a cult figure. In fact, quite a few italians went to scotland in those years and did quite well iirc
Was kind of basing Santon off the fact he had for caps for Italy. Can't say I saw him play out there, just assumed he must've been held in some sort of high regard at one point.

Matterazzi 3 red cards in his 1 season at Everton. :lol::keano:

Yeah, Rangers had Amoruso who was good for them too, and Negri who was a strange one. Signed the same season as Henrik Larsson did for Celtic and had a much bigger impact at first, he could have been their version of him. It would have been fun if they had have gone head to head for a number of years but it wasn't to be. Tales of him losing motivation to play as well as injuries and he kind of disappeared off the radar.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Was kind of basing Santon off the fact he had for caps for Italy. Can't say I saw him play out there, just assumed he must've been held in some sort of high regard at one point.

Matterazzi 3 red cards in his 1 season at Everton. :lol::keano:

Yeah, Rangers had Amoruso who was good for them too, and Negri who was a strange one. Signed the same season as Henrik Larsson did for Celtic and had a much bigger impact at first, he could have been their version of him. It would have been fun if they had have gone to head to head for a number of years but it wasn't to be. Tales of him losing motivation to play as well as injuries and he kind of disappeared off the radar.
Santon was the second coming of Maldini off the back of a great performance against United in CL. 2 years later inter swapped him for Nagatomo :lol:

Inter under Moratti did their fair share of hilarious blunders, but Santon really was a nothing player

Materazzi :lol: yeah, sounds right :D

And oh yeah Negri. That was a weird one allright. Career serie B player, had an impressive first season in A, went to rangers and iirc was absolutely destroying the league. Not sure what happed to him afterwards :confused:

Didn't Massimo Donati also had quite a career at Celtic?

Devil may care

I like what I've seen of Tonali, elegant CM who can glide out with the ball from deep and has a good range of passing, kinda feels like an oldschool sweeper to me. I've seen very little of Longstaff, I know @Adnan rates him and I respect his opinion, from the bit I have seen of Longstaff he looks technically solid and decent defensively, he hasn't really stood out to me though.

passing-wind

Tonali has what it takes to succeed in this league imo. He's got good physicality to his game not a pushover, I've only seen him play twice over long periods and the rest highlights and he's very good, he like any young player did mis place a few passes but he's got great technique to spray a pass out.

Him and Longstaff are different types of midfielder, Longstaff is more similar to Carrick key strengths in distribution but not much of a defensive presence where Tonali is more balanced as he plays from deeper areas and will track back with more persistence.

It's a genuine shame and disgrace that we seem to only be focusing on solely English talent, if Tielemans first name was George he'd be here. We've missed some serious signings the past window.

Madzik_92

Tonali has what it takes to succeed in this league imo. He's got good physicality to his game not a pushover, I've only seen him play twice over long periods and the rest highlights and he's very good, he like any young player did mis place a few passes but he's got great technique to spray a pass out.

Him and Longstaff are different types of midfielder, Longstaff is more similar to Carrick key strengths in distribution but not much of a defensive presence where Tonali is more balanced as he plays from deeper areas and will track back with more persistence.

It's a genuine shame and disgrace that we seem to only be focusing on solely English talent, if Tielemans first name was George he'd be here. We've missed some serious signings the past window.
We're becoming British FC are you surprised?

Adnan

Talent Spotter
I like what I've seen of Tonali, elegant CM who can glide out with the ball from deep and has a good range of passing, kinda feels like an oldschool sweeper to me. I've seen very little of Longstaff, I know @Adnan rates him and I respect his opinion, from the bit I have seen of Longstaff he looks technically solid and decent defensively, he hasn't really stood out to me though.
I'm keeping a close eye on Longstaff this season. Will provide a scout report at some point in the season.:D

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
Well the question was have the club confirmed it. It's a simple question, no need to get your panties in a twist.
Its a stupid question. Only blind/clueless fans badly need clubs to officially confirm everything for assurance.

Tarrou

Its a stupid question. Only blind/clueless fans badly need clubs to officially confirm everything for assurance.
Well you stated it was club policy, which I'd never heard of before so I asked if it had been confirmed

I'm at a loss as to why you consider that a stupid question or why you felt the need to insult me over it

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Barely seen Tonali. What i saw was promising though, plays at one/two touches and with quality

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
I watched Tonali against Milan yesterday, he didn't look anything special although Brescia were getting dicked most of the game so perhaps a bit unfair to judge.

Scholsey2004

We're becoming British FC are you surprised?
We were more successful when we were a majority British side. Obviously there's a lot of factors at play there but imo the chemistry works better when you have a predominantly British squad who are settled here with a few quality foreign players to add some spark of quality. The Chelsea/City formula has never really worked for us. I'm not convinced it has worked consistently for Chelsea for that matter.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Santon was the second coming of Maldini off the back of a great performance against United in CL. 2 years later inter swapped him for Nagatomo :lol:

Inter under Moratti did their fair share of hilarious blunders, but Santon really was a nothing player

Materazzi :lol: yeah, sounds right :D

And oh yeah Negri. That was a weird one allright. Career serie B player, had an impressive first season in A, went to rangers and iirc was absolutely destroying the league. Not sure what happed to him afterwards :confused:

Didn't Massimo Donati also had quite a career at Celtic?
Chelsea has a whole host of successful Italians. Zola, Casiraghi, Vialli, Di Matteo and Panucci all played there and did well.

Ravanelli was obviously great at Boro for a while, and Massimo Maccarone moves there as a young player but didn’t hit thei heights I suppose.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton

The age old question will be answered next season...