Top 10 albums of all time

jem

I remember being really disappointed with this record. Comfortably numb, Young lust, and all 3 parts of Another brick were the only tracks i could get into. I realise you might find that odd, and say the album should be enjoyed as a whole rather than the individual tracks but the rest were just really weird and/or boring to me.
I imagine there are many Floyd fans who would agree with you. For me, it's an absolute classic, but I recognize that it's a fairly polarizing album.

Red Dreams

Across the Universe....from Old Trafford.
In no particular order...it may well be different tomorrow.

The Beatles - Abbey Road
The Beatles - White Album
Rolling Stones - Exile on Main Street
Rolling Stones - Sticky Fingers
Bob Dylan - Blonde on Blonde
Bob Dylan - Highway 61 Revisited
Led Zeppelin IV
Derek and the Dominos - Layla and Other Assorted Love Songs
Jimi Hendrix -Electric Ladyland
The Who - Whos Next

jem

God, now I'm thinking about it, a number of other albums spring to mind:

Scott Walker - Scott Walker: Incredibly, this album was a commercial disappointment. With masterpieces like Duchess, Angels of Ashes and Rhymes of Goodbye, it's hard to understand why.

Talk Talk - Spirit of Eden: Timeless in the sense that it sounds like it could've been released last year. An 80's album that in no way sounds like an 80's album.

Talking Heads - Fear of Music: Brian Eno's influence can really be felt on this one, and that's never a bad thing.

Brian Eno - Here Come The Warm Jets: I love just about everything I've heard by Eno, but this one just shades Another Green World as my favourite.

Roxy Music - Country Life: A Really Good Time, Prairie Rose, Out of The Blue. All classics.

Radiohead - Kid A: Many will opt for Ok Computer, but I think this one was more daring, and has such a comforting/disquieting feel to it.

Peter Gabriel - Passion: Awesome soundtrack; usually find myself mouth-breathing while listening to this one.

Tindersticks - Tindersticks (second album): I remember hearing Tiny Tears on The Sopranos and thinking I needed to hear more of these guys. Thankfully I did.

Stevie Wonder - Innervisions: It's just all so effortlessly genius. Stevie Wonder is the like the Paul Scholes of music.

Ween - Chocolate and Cheese: It's like listening to a really awesome mix tape put together by Dean and Gene Ween. Buenos Tardes Amigos, Freedom of '76 and Roses are Free are standouts.

jem

Just realized I forgot Blood on The Tracks by Bob Dylan. Incredible omission on my part.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Narrowing it down to the 10 best is too hard, so here are 10 that everyone should listen to at some point in their lives. Not necessarily the best (or even my favourites by those bands) but a good starting point for the best music of the last 54 years. All stone cold classics.

The Beatles - Revolver
Bob Dylan - Blonde On Blonde
The Clash - London Calling
Nirvana - Nevermind
David Bowie - The Rise and Fall of Ziggy Stardust and the Spiders From Mars
Radiohead - OK Computer
The Ramones - Leave Home
The Smiths - The Queen is Dead
Arcade Fire - Funeral
The Velvet Underground - The Velvet Underground & Nico

Red Stone

In no particular order:

Kate Bush - Hounds of Love
Alice in Chains - Dirt
Metallica - Master of Puppets
The Who - Who's Next
The Jimi Hendrix Experience - Axis: Bold as Love
John Frusciante - The Empyrean
Black Sabbath - Paranoid
Slayer - Reign in Blood
Big Brother and the Holding Company - Cheap Thrills
Deep Purple - Machine Head

If Red Hot Chili Peppers had a different singer Blood Sugar Sex Magik would walk into that list. The playing on that album is incredible. Also tried to keep it to one album per artist. The Kick Inside, Facelift, Ride the Lightning, Tommy, Quadrophenia, Electric Ladyland, Are You Experienced, Sabbath Bloody Sabbath, Vol 4, Master of Reality, South of Heaven and Made in Japan are close in quality to the ones I've chosen for the respective artists.

Archie Leach

Gooner
Supports
Arsenal
God, now I'm thinking about it, a number of other albums spring to mind:

Scott Walker - Scott Walker: Incredibly, this album was a commercial disappointment. With masterpieces like Duchess, Angels of Ashes and Rhymes of Goodbye, it's hard to understand why.

Talk Talk - Spirit of Eden: Timeless in the sense that it sounds like it could've been released last year. An 80's album that in no way sounds like an 80's album.

Talking Heads - Fear of Music: Brian Eno's influence can really be felt on this one, and that's never a bad thing.

Brian Eno - Here Come The Warm Jets: I love just about everything I've heard by Eno, but this one just shades Another Green World as my favourite.

Roxy Music - Country Life: A Really Good Time, Prairie Rose, Out of The Blue. All classics.

Radiohead - Kid A: Many will opt for Ok Computer, but I think this one was more daring, and has such a comforting/disquieting feel to it.

Peter Gabriel - Passion: Awesome soundtrack; usually find myself mouth-breathing while listening to this one.

Tindersticks - Tindersticks (second album): I remember hearing Tiny Tears on The Sopranos and thinking I needed to hear more of these guys. Thankfully I did.

Stevie Wonder - Innervisions: It's just all so effortlessly genius. Stevie Wonder is the like the Paul Scholes of music.

Ween - Chocolate and Cheese: It's like listening to a really awesome mix tape put together by Dean and Gene Ween. Buenos Tardes Amigos, Freedom of '76 and Roses are Free are standouts.
Good stuff, Jem, good stuff.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Most of my favorite albums are from recent years oddly enough.

These are two are my clear favorites:

1. Helplessness Blues - Fleet Foxes
2. Fleet Foxes- Fleet Foxes

The rest include the following:
Ys- Joanna Newsom
Have one on me - Joanna Newsom
The idler wheel... - Fionna Apple
Wakin' on a pretty daze - Kurt Vile
Smoke Ring for my Halo - Kurt Vile
Bon Iver - Bon Iver

.Rossi

ever get that feeling of déjà vu?
Status Quo - Piledriver
Stone Roses - Stone Roses
Fleetwood Mac - Rumours
ABBA - Voulez Vous
Queen - Night at the opera
Guns n Roses - AFD
Oasis - Defiantly Maybe
U2 - Achtung Baby
AC/DC - Back in Black
Michael Jackson - Thriller

Hard to narrow it down for me...Other ones I'd pick on any other day would be,

The Beatles - Revolver
Guns n Roses - Appetite for Destruction
The Eagles - Hotel California
Paul Simon - Graceland
and many more

LoveInTheAsylum

as my list would otherwise be really boring (this is probably boring too), i set a last.fm <100,000 listener qualifier.

groundhogs - thank christ for the bomb
judee sill - heart food
gene clark - no other
curved air - air conditioning
amon düül II - yeti
captain beyond - s/t
stray - saturday morning pictures
man - be good to yourself at least once a day
laura nyro - christmas & the beads of sweat
unwound - leaves turn inside you

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
The Holy Bible is a masterpiece. Lots of music magazines list it in their top 20 albums ever made. It puts everything else the Manics have made to shame to be honest.
yeah, it seems to be hailed as a big deal, but it just sounds dull to me. They were a great no-frills rock band prior to it. Generation Terrorists was incredibly ahead of it's time. When I listen to Holy Bible, I imagine Bradfield and co. sitting around and suggesting "On our next album, we should try and cover every genre possible". It just sounds like so many small ideas just mashed together. There's not a single song on it that makes me want to punch the air and go "YEAH!". Generation Terrorists is wall-to-wall with songs like that.

Pink Moon

Supports
Celtic
In no order...

Bruce Springsteen - Darkness on the Edge of Town
Nas - Illmatic
Pink Floyd - Dark Side of the Moon
U2 - The Joshua Tree
Gza - Liquid Swords
Bob Dylan - Bringing It All Back Home
Bruce Springsteen - Born To Run
Nirvana - Unplugged
Nick Drake - Pink Moon
Smashing Pumpkins - Siamese Dream

The Essential Bruce Springsteen is probably the greatest collection of music I've heard but it never feels right putting a compilation album on lists like these. Miles Davis - Kind of Blue narrowly missing out. One of the greatest recordings of all time, no doubt.

R.N7

Such tagline. Wow!
Supports
a wife, three kids and Eboue
Just realized I forgot Blood on The Tracks by Bob Dylan. Incredible omission on my part.
I nearly included it but didn't in the end because I don't really like the album versions of Tangled Up In Blue and Idiot Wind, the bootleg versions are so superior.

sammymc

as my list would otherwise be really boring (this is probably boring too), i set a last.fm <100,000 listener qualifier.

groundhogs - thank christ for the bomb
judee sill - heart food
gene clark - no other
curved air - air conditioning
amon düül II - yeti
captain beyond - s/t
stray - saturday morning pictures
man - be good to yourself at least once a day
laura nyro - christmas & the beads of sweat
unwound - leaves turn inside you

some nice stuff there my man...also just spotted your location....cool...Tehachapi to Tonapah

anyway todays top 10 would be:

buffalo springfield again - buffalo springfield
the tumbler - john martyn
everybody knows this is nowhere - neil young
1983 - richie havens
beggars banquet - rolling stones
blows against the empire - paul kantner
if only I could remember my name - david crosby
let there be rock - ac/dc
space ritual - hawkwind
john barleycorn must die - traffic

Tarrou

yeah, it seems to be hailed as a big deal, but it just sounds dull to me. They were a great no-frills rock band prior to it. Generation Terrorists was incredibly ahead of it's time. When I listen to Holy Bible, I imagine Bradfield and co. sitting around and suggesting "On our next album, we should try and cover every genre possible". It just sounds like so many small ideas just mashed together. There's not a single song on it that makes me want to punch the air and go "YEAH!". Generation Terrorists is wall-to-wall with songs like that.
Fair enough, each to their own. It's funny, the way you described the albums is almost the exact opposite of how I view them. I see Generation Terrorists as a collection of individual (and catchy) songs, that don't quite fit together in an album. Whereas I see the Holy Bible as a perfect group of songs that sit together as a cohesive unit. To be honest, I didn't even like THB when I first heard it, but it slowly grew on me until I loved it. I don't think there is another album for me that had such a disparity between how I felt with the first few listens and how I eventually felt about it. That seems to be the case with the music industry to some extent (that it's a slow burner), with the initial reviews being less emphatic than the write-ups it received for the 10th anniversary edition.

Duffy

Who needs races when you're racist?
Looking at the 50 best list from 2008 do you think we should try and do something similar, something a bit more concrete seeing as everyone is posting in here anyway?

I don't mind creating a voting thread and facilitating it by counting up votes etc. but we would have to agree on a criteria - is it favorites or best albums, how many does each person submit, how are points awarded etc?

Anyway, if everyone's up for it I'll sort it out, has been 6 years since the last after all.

Mrs Smoker

Supports
Panthère du Ndé
Should be favourites definitely, there's anyway no such thing as best album. Would be nice if much more people participate this time, as not sure if there's any point doing one with selection from 15-20 people...

Duffy

Should be favourites definitely, there's anyway no such thing as best album. Would be nice if much more people participate this time, as not sure if there's any point doing one with selection from 15-20 people...
Yeah, you're probably right we would need a few more involved I suppose.

Ivor Ballokov

Looking at the 50 best list from 2008 do you think we should try and do something similar, something a bit more concrete seeing as everyone is posting in here anyway?

I don't mind creating a voting thread and facilitating it by counting up votes etc. but we would have to agree on a criteria - is it favorites or best albums, how many does each person submit, how are points awarded etc?

Anyway, if everyone's up for it I'll sort it out, has been 6 years since the last after all.
I'm glad you suggested it, I was going to offer but not sure I can be bothered with all the work, I'll help you out if you need a number 2 though (as in assist you with counting etc, not wiping your bum), or if not I'll definitely be up for doing a list.

The way Nomey did it last time was pretty good I thought, probably the simplest method.

Yeah it has to be favourites really.

We were a much smaller forum back then, we weren't beating potential voters away really, except Maroon Lucifer but he wanted to put Westlife 1st so he doesn't count. Getting more this time shouldn't be a problem.

Mrs Smoker

Supports
Panthère du Ndé
We were a much smaller forum back then, we weren't beating potential voters away really, except Maroon Lucifer but he wanted to put Westlife 1st so he doesn't count. Getting more this time shouldn't be a problem.
Indeed, just in this young thread there's already 15+ lists.

I'm all for it, and also willing to help if need arises.

Duffy

The way Nomey did it last time was pretty good I thought, probably the simplest method.
Indeed, just in this young thread there's already 15+ lists.

I'm all for it, and also willing to help if need arises.
Thanks both, I'll let you know if I need any help but should be ok to do it once we get an official thread up and running. What was the method for the last one?

I think it's best list's are only counted in the actual thread (rather than those submitted in this thread so far), gives people definitive criteria. On the basis of what we should ask for I have a few questions (when i say vote, i mean someone putting in in their list) -

- How many votes from each person (List of 5/10/20/25)? - Think you'll get more involved with a list of 10 or 20, than asking people for a list of 50.
- Scoring - If we are doing ranked top 10 or 20, are we going on a persons number 1 getting a score of 10, down to the 10th getting 1? Or if we are just asking for a list of however many in any order are we saying each vote counts as one.
- Artist's or Bands - Is there a ruling on how many albums someone can name by a single artist/band (2/3 maximum on a list of 10) or is it a free for all?
- The Final List - Are we looking to compile a final list of 25 or 50?
- Types Of Albums - Are compilations/live albums valid or just studio albums?
- Submissions/Votes - Are submissions placed in the official thread or by PM to me, and how long a window do we want to allow for voting/submissions?

Last edited:

Alex99

Rehab's Pete Doherty
Thanks both, I'll let you know if I need any help but should be ok to do it once we get an official thread up and running. What was the method for the last one?

I think it's best list's are only counted in the actual thread (rather than those submitted in this thread so far), gives people definitive criteria. On the basis of what we should ask for I have a few questions (when i say vote, i mean someone putting in in their list) -

- How many votes from each person (List of 5/10/20/25)? - Think you'll get more involved with a list of 10 or 20, than asking people for a list of 50.
- Scoring - If we are doing ranked top 10 or 20, are we going on a persons number 1 getting a score of 10, down to the 10th getting 1? Or if we are just asking for a list of however many in any order are we saying each vote counts as one.
- Artist's or Bands - Is there a ruling on how many albums someone can name by a single artist/band (2/3 maximum on a list of 10) or is it a free for all?
- The Final List - Are we looking to compile a final list of 25 or 50?
- Types Of Albums - Are compilations/live albums valid or just studio albums?
- Submissions/Votes - Are submissions placed in the official thread or by PM to me, and how long a window do we want to allow for voting/submissions?

I'd say a list of 10. Larger lists are probably going to put people off contributing.

Your scoring system seems fair enough to me. If they all counted as 1, an album that is listed 9th or 10th every time it appears could score the same as one that appears 1st or 2nd every time.

I wouldn't bother limiting the number people can submit from a certain artist.

Final list obviously depends on how many people contribute and how many different albums are submitted. Maybe aim for 50 but scale it up or down according to the responses. Might be worth putting the scores for each down as well so people can see if there's a big difference between two positions.

I'd limit it to just studio albums. Compilations and, to a certain extent, live albums are more of a display of an artist's best material over the span of their career up to the point of release.

Have submissions in the tread but discourage discussion so it's easier to count the votes. I'd give a format for posting as well for the same reason. You don't want to have to spend time Googling submissions that you've not heard of to distinguish between artist and album.

Duffy

I'd say a list of 10. Larger lists are probably going to put people off contributing.

Your scoring system seems fair enough to me. If they all counted as 1, an album that is listed 9th or 10th every time it appears could score the same as one that appears 1st or 2nd every time.

I wouldn't bother limiting the number people can submit from a certain artist.

Final list obviously depends on how many people contribute and how many different albums are submitted. Maybe aim for 50 but scale it up or down according to the responses. Might be worth putting the scores for each down as well so people can see if there's a big difference between two positions.

I'd limit it to just studio albums. Compilations and, to a certain extent, live albums are more of a display of an artist's best material over the span of their career up to the point of release.

Have submissions in the tread but discourage discussion so it's easier to count the votes. I'd give a format for posting as well for the same reason. You don't want to have to spend time Googling submissions that you've not heard of to distinguish between artist and album.
I reckon we go top 15, I think it makes it a bit easier for people to include ones just on the edge of the top ten, but maybe rank it so numbers 10 to 15 each get one point.

I think 15 allows a maximum of 3 from any one artist/band and should also allow us to have a top 50, which is a more substantial number. Will list all scores as you said and will state in the official thread the rules as to submissions.

Any other suggestions anyone before I set up a submission thread?

Alex99

Rehab's Pete Doherty
I reckon we go top 15, I think it makes it a bit easier for people to include ones just on the edge of the top ten, but maybe rank it so numbers 10 to 15 each get one point.

I think 15 allows a maximum of 3 from any one artist/band and should also allow us to have a top 50, which is a more substantial number. Will list all scores as you said and will state in the official thread the rules as to submissions.

Any other suggestions anyone before I set up a submission thread?
If you're doing 15, I'd score 1-10 as suggested, then count 11-15 as a tie-breaker between albums.

For example, if two albums are tied after counting the 1-10 scores, see how many times they appear in people's 11-15 ranks, and whichever has the highest score finishes higher.

You don't have to go along with that, your other suggestion is fine.

Otherwise I'd just link to this thread for discussion, emphasize the format, ensure people don't post albums that are "joint 3rd" or whatever, and make sure they submit a full list. If you think people are subject to change their choices, add a bit at the bottom of the set format that requires them to state if they're done or not, and if they are, you will begin counting the votes. You'll also want to make sure there's a date that further submissions won't be counted after.

Duffy

If you're doing 15, I'd score 1-10 as suggested, then count 11-15 as a tie-breaker between albums.

For example, if two albums are tied after counting the 1-10 scores, see how many times they appear in people's 11-15 ranks, and whichever has the highest score finishes higher.

You don't have to go along with that, your other suggestion is fine.

Otherwise I'd just link to this thread for discussion, emphasize the format, ensure people don't post albums that are "joint 3rd" or whatever, and make sure they submit a full list. If you think people are subject to change their choices, add a bit at the bottom of the set format that requires them to state if they're done or not, and if they are, you will begin counting the votes. You'll also want to make sure there's a date that further submissions won't be counted after.
Hmmm I understand but think people'd get confused with how that works plus I suppose the single points for those final 5 will work just the same in the end anyway.

Good idea about having discussion in here if we can get a mod to tweek the name of the thread, then the new one can be for submissions only. I think I'll allow just over a week for this, maybe until the 14th and tally it up on Saturday 15th which will allow posters to be aware of the thread, put in their top 15 and if they wish to change it they have until the cut off date time before I pull the results off and compile the final list.

Throughout that time i'll monitor the thread to make sure each submission is within the set criteria.

Duffy

The submission thread is up and running for everyone to be part of compiling an updated, definitive list of the caf's top 50 albums of all time!

LINK

Duffy

Posted. Do you allow edits? I might feel differently about those rankings in about...15 minutes. ;)
Yeah, edits are good up until midday on the 15th, at which point I'll pull all submissions and total the scores up. I'll do a countdown the following day, from 50, including a video to compliment each entry maybe.

I know what its like I'll probably change mind 4 or 5 times before then. My list will certainly be different to what I've put in here because I'll be concentrating on my personal preference a bit more.

Duffy

Struth, it's hard, especially when 2 of the greatest albums ever were live albums.
A lot of great live albums, I'd have 2 maybe in my top 15, just think it's fair to judge it on studio albums, original recorded content rather than say a live album that could include most of an artists/bands greatest hits.

I'm quite happy with what I've just submitted, don't think I'll change much, maybe the odd positioning before the 15th, but I'm pretty happy.

One Night Only

Prison Bitch #24604
Yeah I understand but iron maidens rock in rio was epic!! It gave it something new with the crowd joining in.

Also metallica s&m was a massive change from their studio due to the orchestra.

I'll manage to get a list sorted at some point :lol:

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Found it hard to pick a favourite from any of the last four albums by The National, or between If You're Feeling Sinister and The Life Pursuit, or between XO and Either/Or. Might change my mind on some of them.

njred

HALA MADRID!
Supports
Liverpool
1.Physical Graffiti-Led Zeppelin
2.Revolver-Beatles
3. Let It Bleed-Stones
4.Blonde on Blonde-Dylan
5. Every Body Knows This Is Nowhere -Neil Young
6. Wish You Were Here-Pink Floyd
7.Machine Head -Deep Purple
8. Tommy -The Who
9. John Barleycorn Must Die -Traffic
10. Led Zeppeilin lV-Led Zeppelin

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
It's just going to be a whole lot of famous albums isnt it?

Archie Leach

Gooner
Supports
Arsenal
Do you have a beard, amol? And do you prefer suspenders to a belt by any chance?
Found it hard to pick a favourite from any of the last four albums by The National, or between If You're Feeling Sinister and The Life Pursuit, or between XO and Either/Or. Might change my mind on some of them.
Boxer, Life Pursuit, Either/Or. You're welcome.

Moby

Dick
Pearl Jam - Ten
Pearl Jam - Riot Act
Pink Floyd - Animals
Pink Floyd - Meddle
Michael Jackson - Thriller
Godspeed! - Lift Your Skinny Fists...
Bob Dylan - Blonde on Blonde
The United States of America - The United States of America
Iron Maiden - The Number of The Beast
Porcupine Tree - Fear of a Blank Planet

That's just 10 albums I love, can go on with many more.

Moby

Dick
Also, I am one of the few who doesn't rate The Dark Side Of The Moon, I don't think that resembles the Pink Floyd's best work. For me it is all in Animals, Meddle, Atom Heart Mother, Saucerful of Secrets, More, etc.

Duffy

It's just going to be a whole lot of famous albums isnt it?
To be fair looking at the submissions list thread so far it looks like a varied mix, but yeah you do have those albums that are always there or there abouts.

Need to try and get the thread title changed if any mods can do it, maybe to something like "Top 50 Albums Discussion thread"?