Top 4 Race 19/20 | duffer: "We [Chelsea] are getting 3rd. Despite what the lunatics in here think, Man United are not all that."

croadyman

Everton still have more to say in this top 4 battle, they'll be my second team for the remainder of the season. We're still behind on goal difference but I don't think that'll matter ultimately because I think Leicester will keep dropping points.

Also West Ham don't have a chance in hell of getting anything off Chelsea, don't get your hopes up.
What was it you were saying about West Ham not having a chance in hell. I will be honest I didn't think they were even capable of a draw either.

Thiagoal

That's my fecking point. Where in History has that ever happened. To say it is I think I our hands is just dumb, it's more in theirs until it's more in ours.
Hahaha! Of course it’s highly unlikely but it would still technically be in our hands. We technically have it on our power to score the necessary goals to get the place (in that scenario) Whether it’s likely or not is immaterial. It would still be in our control to get the place! Which is the whole point of the saying! But let’s agree to disagree as I’ve lost the will to live...

Shiva87

Because I think that shows some consistency. I am trying to determine if the trend is viable. Based on those last 21 games, I think our trend is viable, we can catch up and win. Of course, it's not perfect.
Okay, I think we have a great chance now and are in the best shape to benefit from it. I don’t think our teams over the last 3-4 seasons have performed in similar situations. We have had some sort of collective paralysis every time we have been in these positions towards the end of the season.

I think historical trends for this season are not very relevant given this. The next few weeks will be a good indicator of how much Ole’s rebuild has worked. The problem in the past was attitude and complacency, and we will now find out if this new group of players can form the core of a ruthless Man Utd team.

If we do make it to the top 4 from here, I will give a lot of credit to Ole. He would have identified the problem from last season, and managed to find a solution this time around. That’s all we can hope for now, progress.

lysglimt

Scout
Saturday

15:00 Leicester vs Palace
15:00 United vs Bournemouth
17:30 Wolves vs Arsenal
20:00 Chelsea vs Watford

Should be above Chelsea before they kick off and hopefully right on Leicester should their slump continue.
We really should go all in to try and hammer Bournemouth - the way they are playing now we can easily win by 4-5 goals if we have a good Day.

Baneofthegame

I just hope we continue the way we have been playing, if we can, we will be back in the CL next season.

utdalltheway

Sexy Beast
We really should go all in to try and hammer Bournemouth - the way they are playing now we can easily win by 4-5 goals if we have a good Day.
Uh-oh.
It seems that each time the chance has presented itself we’ve blown it.

If our lads play to their recent form then yeah we should smash them, but I’m going to be cautiously optimistic about this one.

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline
Just to out 'pendant' you, it is definitely in our hands. If Leicester win every game until we play them, we just need to win every game and beat them by enough goals to overturn the goal difference.
Which means it isn’t in our hands as we are relying on them not scoring as many goals as us.

It being in our hands = it being in our complete control.

Anyway we’re going round in circles.

Tarrou

Which means it isn’t in our hands as we are relying on them not scoring as many goals as us.

It being in our hands = it being in our complete control.

Anyway we’re going round in circles.
you know we play Leicester last right?

SirAnderson

I know but it's funny when someone can't just admit they were wrong
He is right.
As long as Leicester has the ability to thwart us in some way, be it not lose and keep the goal difference higher than ours, and have an clear insurmountable GD of 10,which let's be honest, no team could do in 1 game, sure it's not impossible, but very very improbable, it's not fully in our hands. Right now it's more in their hands than ours.

The main point is as long as there are variables beyond our control, it technically isn't in our hands.

SirAnderson

Let's round of the hands argument with a video, it can't be complete without it. So much joy that it is bringing to people reading this feck of a tangent:

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
We could also draw 1-1 if we play how we did two matches ago.

Bilbo

TeaBaggins
The stupid 'in our hands' argument has ruined the thread. Its boring and it doesn't matter.

Judas

Open to offers
We're no doubt going to slip up, but would hope and expect us to easily win at the weekend. Hopefully Watford that easily put away Liverpool turns up against Chelsea.

The stupid 'in our hands' argument has ruined the thread. Its boring and it doesn't matter.
It's pathetic, I went to bed with it going on and its still going? Imagine feeling the desperate need to be right about something so utterly inane and uninteresting not just on a bloody internet forum but just in life. Bonkers.

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline
We're no doubt going to slip up, but would hope and expect us to easily win at the weekend. Hopefully Watford that easily put away Liverpool turns up against Chelsea.

It's pathetic, I went to bed with it going on and its still going? Imagine feeling the desperate need to be right about something so utterly inane and uninteresting not just on a bloody internet forum but just in life. Bonkers.
Oh yeah we will 100% slip up, but so will the others, palace and Leicester playing each other will be very interesting.

I really hope we can carry on our form against the kind of sides that have trouble us, Pogba and Bruno seem to have given us the formula.

And sorry about the hands :lol: it’s partly my fault, I keep getting tagged by posters so felt obliged to reply, to try to explain something very simple to them. :lol:

BenitoSTARR

One Minute Man
Scout
Some really clueless posts in this thread. Short and simple:

• It's in Leicester's hands. Why? Because they are third. If they win all their matches they finish top 4.
  • It's in Chelsea's hands. Why? Because they are fourth. If they win all their matches they finish top 4.
  • It's in United's hands. Why? Because we are 3 points behind Leicester and we are yet to play them. Beating them takes us level on points assuming they win all their other games.
  • It's in Wolves' hands. Why? They will overtake Chelsea if they win all their games. Because either Leicester and/or United will drop points when they meet, that means Wolves will at worst finish level on points with either one or both of them.

Yes Leicester and Chelsea are technically in the driving seats. But United and Wolves have it in their own hands as of tonight. Neither had it in their own hands before tonight.

The only way it isn't in United/Wolves' hands is if on the final day they need something ridiculous like a 10 goal swing in the final half an hour. That kind of stuff doesn't happen in professional football. But as of right now they have 6 games left to make up the goal difference. Whether they're good enough to do so or not is completely irrelevant. The point is that they control their own destiny now. If Leicester and Chelsea win their games by 1-2 goal margins, United and Wolves have it in their own hands to win their games by a bigger margin and creep in on goal difference. Before tonight if Leicester and Chelsea had won all their games 1-0 then it wouldn't have mattered if United and Wolves had won all their games 10-0.
So it’s in everyone’s hands?

Why has no one asked important question?

Are the hands sanitised?

romufc

We have to maintain our winning spree. Next 2 games are winnable, lets keep the pressure on Chelsea and Leicester. They both know, any drop points now, it will be a huge psychological blow.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
I never rated Leicester squad like most of Caf. They have couple of really good players and very good manager but since day one my thoughts are that they are overachieving.
Although tbh i doubt that they will slip on 6th place. For 5th place it will be us or Spurs.
I wrote this in february. I will go further with prediction and say that Leicester will drop on 6th. Maybe even 7th

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
We could win all our games and still not qualify. How is it in our own hands...I am confused?

Tarrou

We could win all our games and still not qualify. How is it in our own hands...I am confused?
assuming you get to the last game of the season 3 points behind Leicester and you are x number of goals behind them in goal difference

you just need to beat Leicester by x/2 (or ((x/2)+1) if you are still behind on goals scored) to go above them

Infra-red

Did we decide who's hands its in?
It's in everybody's hands.

All of Leicester, Chelsea, United and Wolves can make top four. Tottenham will probably fancy their chances too.

We need to win our games or it will be snatched away.

Bilbo

TeaBaggins
United have had a very good week. Everyone is confident and talking of 3rd place as though its a done deal. Before the end of this season we will very likely have a bad week, where we drop points and 2 or more of our rivals wins. Then we'll have a few days of everyone being upset and unleashing that emotion on the players and the manager. Happens every season.

Take one game at a time. Bournemouth at home next and that is a dream fixture, but few gave West Ham a prayer against Chelsea last night, so lets just focus on the next one. My thought before the restart was that we would need 6 or 7 wins out of 9 to make top four. How things have gone so far this is still likely to be the case. So far we have 2 from 3, and momentum is with us, but that can change on one matchday.

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
United have had a very good week. Everyone is confident and talking of 3rd place as though its a done deal. Before the end of this season we will very likely have a bad week, where we drop points and 2 or more of our rivals wins. Then we'll have a few days of everyone being upset and unleashing that emotion on the players and the manager. Happens every season.

Take one game at a time. Bournemouth at home next and that is a dream fixture, but few gave West Ham a prayer against Chelsea last night, so lets just focus on the next one. My thought before the restart was that we would need 6 or 7 wins out of 9 to make top four. How things have gone so far this is still likely to be the case. So far we have 2 from 3, and momentum is with us, but that can change on one matchday.
What this guy said.

BenitoSTARR

One Minute Man
Scout
Did we decide who's hands its in?
Well it’s not not in Leicester and Chelsea’s hands but it’s also not not in Wolves and ours. Chelsea have it more in their hands then Leicester but Leicester still have it in hand and some say more in hand than United. But United have it more in hand than Leicester if Leicester hand us a big win in the final game then it would be more firmly in our hands than Leicester but not Chelsea unless Wolves hand it to them on the last day. Wolves have it in hand over Chelsea if they beat them but Chelsea have it over Wolves if they beat them. Which means it’s in Wolves’ hands whether or not it’s in Chelsea’s hands to hand it to Wolves who could cause Chelsea to hand it to Leicester who could hand it to us on the last day.

I don’t see what the confusion is about.

Gandalf Greyhame

If in doubt, follow your nose!
Scout

Gandalf agrees with Bilbo.

crossy1686

career ending
Never in doubt lads, don't know why you're all so worried about it.

And those of you writing off our top 4 chances as late as last weekend, hang your head in shame.

Santoryo

ripping the reward
Some really clueless posts in this thread. Short and simple:

• It's in Leicester's hands. Why? Because they are third. If they win all their matches they finish top 4.
  • It's in Chelsea's hands. Why? Because they are fourth. If they win all their matches they finish top 4.
  • It's in United's hands. Why? Because we are 3 points behind Leicester and we are yet to play them. Beating them takes us level on points assuming they win all their other games.
  • It's in Wolves' hands. Why? They will overtake Chelsea if they win all their games. Because either Leicester and/or United will drop points when they meet, that means Wolves will at worst finish level on points with either one or both of them.

Yes Leicester and Chelsea are technically in the driving seats. But United and Wolves have it in their own hands as of tonight. Neither had it in their own hands before tonight.

The only way it isn't in United/Wolves' hands is if on the final day they need something ridiculous like a 10 goal swing in the final half an hour. That kind of stuff doesn't happen in professional football. But as of right now they have 6 games left to make up the goal difference. Whether they're good enough to do so or not is completely irrelevant. The point is that they control their own destiny now. If Leicester and Chelsea win their games by 1-2 goal margins, United and Wolves have it in their own hands to win their games by a bigger margin and creep in on goal difference. Before tonight if Leicester and Chelsea had won all their games 1-0 then it wouldn't have mattered if United and Wolves had won all their games 10-0.
Should probably sticky this post in the OP or something since it seems plenty of people don't quite grasp the concept of things being in one's hands.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Leicester can’t win all games with their form, it’s impossible
I know.
I have always understood "having it in your hands" as a team not needing other teams to do them a favour.
Anyway it's semantics. If we win all our games, I am sure we will finish 3rd.