Top 4 Race 19/20 | duffer: "We [Chelsea] are getting 3rd. Despite what the lunatics in here think, Man United are not all that."

roseguy64

If we had to drop points anywhere, I'm glad it was here. I think it'll keep us more focused to be chasing.

I wouldn't be 100% confident that a little complacency wouldn't sneak into this squad if we were sat in 3rd with 3 games to go. A good bollocking behind the scenes, a focusing of minds and 3 wins from our last 3 will see us finish 3rd anyway.
Agreed. Southampton was the toughest game we had left based on the form of the teams since the restart. We'll beat Palace by a few goals.

VanGaalEra

We really need to beat Palace, need to come out the blocks against them and try and finish the game early because we looked dead on our feet tonight.

Also hoping West Ham beat Watford and are safe before we play them. They may just relax a little and take the foot off the pedal.

Chelsea with an easy 3 points tomorrow night.

Hernandez - BFA

The Way to Fly
It’s a rough result, but calm the feck down.

Leicester are facing a Sheff United who look dangerous, a Mourinho-lead Spurs who will be hard to beat and then us.

Chelsea have Liverpool and Wolves to go.

We may be 5th, but we’re in the driving seat.

Rafaeldagold

We could still get 4th, but it’s really 50/50 now I think. Not sure how my nerves will be last game against Leicester, shootout for Champions League. If we fail on the last day it could leave a bad hangover into next season

Maluco

Last Man Standing 3 champion 2019/20
Relax everyone, it’s another point gained, 13 out of 15 and a 9 point lead completely cut away.

Chelsea have a woeful defence and Leicester will almost definitely drop points to Sheffield United. They were absolutely dreadful against Bournemouth.

Worst case scenario is that we have to go there and get a win. We are Manchester United!

Klopper76

"Did you see Fabinho against Red Star & Cardiff?"
Supports
Liverpool
And you're going to beat us quite comfortably im hearing? Not sure we should bother turning up, like we didn't against City when they were easily going to beat us - And we have little chance of beating Wolves at home, too. Thats the word on the street
When I look at how you’re playing, how Leicester are playing & how United are doing, I think United look like comfortable favourites for top four.

I don’t think we’ll get an easy game from you but I do think we’ll beat you next week.

roseguy64

It's the matter in which we played. We had no answer to their press despite having better players. So questions would be raised on what exactly are we doing in training.
We had the best chances in the game and would have won it if we'd scored a third or not gone down to 10 men late in the game. De Gea had like one difficult save to make all game.

always_hoping

I think United will drop at least another 2 points in the remaining 3 games. Will 66 points be enough to finish 4th? It was for Man City in 2016 thanks to a better GD than United.

wr8_utd

:'(
I think United will drop at least another 2 points in the remaining 3 games. Will 66 points be enough to finish 4th? It was for Man City in 2016 thanks to a better GD than United.
66 will be enough for CL. I just do not see Leicester getting 7 points from United, Sheffield and Spurs. I think they'll draw all three of the matches and if Wolves can win all their games, they have a genuine outside chance at leapfrogging Chelsea too.

KChucky88

My gut say man utd will stay at 5th and of the season but Chelsea and Leicester will join liverpool and man city but I really hope I am wrong

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
We had the best chances in the game and would have won it if we'd scored a third or not gone down to 10 men late in the game. De Gea had like one difficult save to make all game.
Aye. We looked comfortable, but we switched off after the Brandon injury, think it was also a scenario where we were trying to work out who goes where. It was just really bad luck ultimately.

PaulScholes99

I believe in the Ole project, and I believe we are building something special, but I don't believe in the team we have at the moment. I don't think they have it in them to win the last 3 games. Maybe you think i'm overreacting after a disappointing result, but I felt that way before the game today.

We need to stop overrating and underrating our team and be so reactive all the time. United is at the moment a decent team, there are no easy fixtures for us. We haven't earned the right to call anything an "easy" fixture, not since 2013 at least.

I do want us to get top 4, I would be overjoyed if that where to happen, but I think our rivals have to screw it up really bad for us to get there. I can easily see us struggling at Palace, losing to West Ham, and losing to Leicester.
So you basically just stated in the second paragraph we shouldn't over/underrate our team and then you go on to underrate us in the last after one disappointing result. Of course there is a chance that your prediction becomes true but the probability is not very high. We won 14/18 points since the restart and our wins were not even close at all. Palace lost their last 5 (3/18 since restart), West Ham got 7/18 and Leicester is in a very bad form with 6/18 since restart, losing to Bournemouth 4-1 just yesterday (and losing Soyuncu with a red). And you really think our position is that bad that "our rivals have to screw it up really bad for us to get there"? I would say right now we are definitely favourites with Chelsea to secure the last 2pending top 4 positions. But of course it is not a given that we will get it.

SAFMUTD

Its not only the 2 points lost, its the mental aspect. By getting third we would had put chelsea and leicester under huge pressure, now they can breath and I worry our form was just a patch, thats the way its been with Ole. We are either on a winning or losing streak.

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
Meh Chelsea and Leicester will feck it up. Such is the competition between us and them this season. No one has ever capitalized on anything.

It's like
Chelsea : "after you"
Leicester : "no, after you"
Chelsea : "nononono it's fine! after you"
Leicester : "splendid, but i would rather.. after you"
ManUtd : "good evening good sir, do not mind me please, after you"

Infra-red

Its not only the 2 points lost, its the mental aspect. By getting third we would had put chelsea and leicester under huge pressure, now they can breath and I worry our form was just a patch, thats the way its been with Ole. We are either on a winning or losing streak.
Yes, it is disappointing. Chelsea will surely be four points clear of us by the time we kick off away at Palace. We've lost our momentum at a crucial time and will have to get it back with a tired looking squad, with four games to play in the space of nine days.

peridigm

Relax everyone, it’s another point gained, 13 out of 15 and a 9 point lead completely cut away.

Chelsea have a woeful defence and Leicester will almost definitely drop points to Sheffield United. They were absolutely dreadful against Bournemouth.

Worst case scenario is that we have to go there and get a win. We are Manchester United!
Leicester and Chelsea are dropping more points. No doubt about that.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
If Chelsea had won 5 out of 6 games since the restart, swatting teams away with ease, I would not let one, albeit very deflating, draw bring the negativity out of me.

United have been in stellar form. Chelsea fans are celebrating because we know how lucky we got this weekend. The momentum is still with United.

FriendlyFox

Supports
Leicester City
Leicester fan here. No need to worry about us.

We now have Ricardo, Maddison, Chillwell, Albrighton and Soyuncu out. We only have Evans left in our back 4.

We're not going to pick up another point this season. It's Wolves you need to watch out for.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
Leicester fan here. No need to worry about us.

We now have Ricardo, Maddison, Chillwell, Albrighton and Soyuncu out. We only have Evans left in our back 4.

We're not going to pick up another point this season. It's Wolves you need to watch out for.
out for rest of season?

Why have you collapsed like you have since lockdown?

bondsname

So you basically just stated in the second paragraph we shouldn't over/underrate our team and then you go on to underrate us in the last after one disappointing result. Of course there is a chance that your prediction becomes true but the probability is not very high. We won 14/18 points since the restart and our wins were not even close at all. Palace lost their last 5 (3/18 since restart), West Ham got 7/18 and Leicester is in a very bad form with 6/18 since restart, losing to Bournemouth 4-1 just yesterday (and losing Soyuncu with a red). And you really think our position is that bad that "our rivals have to screw it up really bad for us to get there"? I would say right now we are definitely favourites with Chelsea to secure the last 2pending top 4 positions. But of course it is not a given that we will get it.
My opinion isn't reactive, I felt this way for a while. Today's result didn't cause me to think this way, it did however make me more vocal about it.

We don't know for sure but Williams and Shaw could be out versus Palace, meaning Zaha will face Dalot. We do have the quality in our squad to beat Palace, but once again our top 4 rivals play before us once again. If Chelsea and Leicester drop points, will United take advantage of the situation, or fail like we have done on every opportunity so far this season? On paper we should've beaten Southampton aswell, but didn't.

West Ham are finding some form recently with Antonio scoring 4, they pulled off a win against Chelsea, and West Ham has in recent times been a pain in the arse for United. Moyes will be motivated aswell obviously. Out of our last 4 games against West Ham, we have won one time. They are not a team to be taken lightly and it's not an easy fixture at all.

Leicester, regardless of form, will be a tough game. They will realise what's at stake and play their hearts out.

I'm just not confident of a top 4 finish. I would however love to be proven wrong, I want this club to suceed, but it feels like we have a long way to go.

It will be interesting to see the palace game purely for the players reaction, I hope to see a world-class, determined performance but we'll see.

FriendlyFox

Supports
Leicester City
out for rest of season?

Why have you collapsed like you have since lockdown?
Soyuncu (red) and Ricardo (acl - alread been out a while) definitely out for the rest of the season. Maddison and Chilwell could theoretically come back, but I'd say it's not positive. Maddison tried to come back a few games ago, was limping around injured and not been seen since.

We haven't really collapsed since lockdown - we've collapsed since Christmas. If you take our form from Christmas onwards, it puts us in about 15th/16th. Really, I think what broke us were the Man City and Liverpool games one after the other. We were running high on confidence, and then those two teams absolutely destroyed us. The team hasn't really been the same, or played with the same freedom since, and Rodgers doesn't seem to be able to get them out of the rut (as well as making some very strange decisions). Though our best player (Ricardo) being out for a while really hasn't helped our cause.

The team seems mentally fragile. We picked up loads of points in the first half by steam-rolling all the smaller clubs, but we've bottled pretty much all 'big' games this seasons.

The Oracle

Beginning to think we may need 1 or 2 favours from some present and old Utd connections...

- Dean Henderson to perform well for Sheff Utd at Leicester on Thursday, before we take to the field against Palace.

- Mourinho's Tottenham to put on a show at home against Leicester

- David Moyes' West Ham to have one eye on their holidays when they visit Old Trafford.

...here's hoping ;)

Joking aside, the race for Top 4 is still in our own hands.
Win the remaining 3 x league games and we'll be playing at Europe's top table next season.

passing-wind

We need 9 points out of the next three games. We aren't playing huge opposition, if we are unable to achieve this objective I believe it will signify the extent of how far Solskjaer can take this team. One good sign is we are treating this draw like a loss when previously it would have been a total loss.

croadyman

Well thats set the cat amongst the pigeons
Please tell me you aren't going to defend your ex player tonight like I have seen some of your fans do on Facebook.

Last edited:

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
Worst case scenario

Think we will get 1 win and 2 draws - 64.
Chelsea- they will get 1 win,1 draw and 1 loss - 64.
Leicester- will get 3 draws - 62.
Wolves - will get 2 wins and 1 draw - 61

SAFMUTD

I think we are paying for overplaying our players, theres been no rotation at all and we are playing every 3 days so its obvious fatige would catch up.

We were erratic in offense, should had score 2 more goals with Martial and Rashford wasting clear chances, and end up paying for giving control to Saints in the last minutes, we invited pressure.

Still I think were favorites to end up in top 4, Chelsea should drop points with Liverpool and hopefully Wolves and Leicester will definately drop points against Sheffield and Spurs. So as long as we dont feck up against Crystal Palace and West Ham we should be able to get into top 4.

croadyman

we all will, its that mental this top 4 race. No one is winning every remaining game our of us, you and Leicester
Yeah this weekend has shown how unpredictable this top 4 race is and will go down to final day by looks of it.

What did you think of your ex player Romeu not being red carded tonight. Have really lost my cool at some rival fans earlier.

ZolaWasMagic

Supports
Chelsea
Yeah this weekend has shown how unpredictable this top 4 race is and will go down to final day by looks of it.

What did you think of your ex player Romeu not being red carded tonight. Have really lost my cool at some rival fans earlier.
Looked a red to me.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Leicester and Chelsea are dropping more points. No doubt about that.
They are. But so will we. I don't fancy our chances of beating Leicester on their patch for example. So essentially we need to win the next 2, with Palace being a tough one up next, and Spurs need to take 2/3 points off them, before we go into the final game hopefully just needing a draw

Fridge chutney

Palace have lost 5 straight. We should beat them handily.
  • Chelsea play Wolves and Liverpool.
  • Leicester play Sheffield, Spurs and us
  • We play Palace, West Ham (Moyes) and Leicester
  • Leicester and Chelsea have heavy injury problems.
Despite the disappointment today, we are still one of the form teams of the league.

If we still don't make top 4, we truly don't deserve it. But I think we'll make it and I don't think it will be particularly close.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Palace have lost 5 straight. We should beat them handily.
  • Chelsea play Wolves and Liverpool.
  • Leicester play Sheffield, Spurs and us
  • We play Palace, West Ham (Moyes) and Leicester
  • Leicester and Chelsea have heavy injury problems.
Despite the disappointment today, we are still one of the form teams of the league.

If we still don't make top 4, we truly don't deserve it. But I think we'll make it and I don't think it will be particularly close.
It's already particularly close as we are in 5th place with 3 games to go.

The way I see it, we need to get our noses ahead of Leicester over the next two games so that a draw is enough on the final day. Needing a win on the final day will create an enormous amount of pressure and possibly give Leicester the boost the confidence they desperately need, as well.

bsCallout

Last nights results didnt really change much about what was expected before this 'round' of fixtures.

Points will be dropped. We cant afford for it to be us that drops them again.

Hopefully it doesnt come down to winning the last game.

Some stupid mistakes last night but overall we were unfortuanate.

JoaquinJoaquin

Still in our hands, but it seems we are destined to stay in that 5th place, we just can't escape it!

As always though, we have made it tricky in ourselves.

freeurmind

weak willed
Why are we always so crap when it matters? Just feel so gutted this morning, don't feel like doing any work.

freeurmind

weak willed
Does anyone really have any confidence that this lot will not feck it up again? And we're talking about Top 4 mind, not even winning a major trophy.