Top 4 Race 19/20 | duffer: "We [Chelsea] are getting 3rd. Despite what the lunatics in here think, Man United are not all that."

ManRed

If Arsenal beat Leicester on Tuesday, their points would be level with Wolves (52), and only 3 points gap with us.

They will enter the race this week, I can't believe it.
They play Spurs away and Liverpool home after that. I wouldn't worry too much about Arsenal

RDCR07

Not a bad guy (Whale Killer)
If Arsenal beat Leicester on Tuesday, their points would be level with Wolves (52), and only 3 points gap with us.

Come on, it’s Arsenal? They will bottle it at some point. But I’m hoping they do beat Leicester on Tuesday. It is more be beneficial for us like today when they beat Wolves.

Last edited:

RDCR07

I am not worried so much about the strength of our opposition as I am worried about the fixture congestion. Are we capable of winning games by resting/rotating players since we have 7 total games over a 17 day period.

Teja

Wolves probably deserved something from that game today. This Arsenal side doesn't really pass the eye test even though they put together a little bit a of a winning run. I'm more interested in Leicester and Wolves than the rest of the lot.

foolsgold

They play Spurs away and Liverpool home after that. I wouldn't worry too much about Arsenal
Liverpool are on the beach, title won, out of the Champions League and FA cup. I can't see them giving 100% to grind out results.

RDCR07

Liverpool are on the beach, title won, out of the Champions League and FA cup. I can't see them giving 100% to grind out results.
Aren’t they unbeaten at home for like 56 games or something? I don’t see them throwing that out easily.

Klopper76

"Did you see Fabinho against Red Star & Cardiff?"
Supports
Liverpool
Aren’t they unbeaten at home for like 56 games or something? I don’t see them throwing that out easily.
Yeah our last home defeat in the league was April 2017. It’s a run of 56 games currently and will be up to 58 assuming we don’t lose to Villa or Burnley beforehand.

Don’t worry guys, we’ve got your back. ;)

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
It's tight, I hope Arsenal can get something off Leicester. It's really hard to call, think we'll get 4th. Chelsea will scrape 3rd. Even writing this I'm not sure. We are better than both of them, it will be annoying if we lose out.
It's very tight. We need to hope Leicester drop points away at Spurs and arsenal. And that we overtake them before the final face off IMO.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
They don't even need to give 100% to at the least not lose to Arsenal. Generally they tend to spank them at Anfield.

foolsgold

Yeah our last home defeat in the league was April 2017. It’s a run of 56 games currently and will be up to 58 assuming we don’t lose to Villa or Burnley beforehand.

Don’t worry guys, we’ve got your back. ;)
I'd hope so, but after watching them roll over versus City I'm not certain

Klopper76

"Did you see Fabinho against Red Star & Cardiff?"
Supports
Liverpool
I'd hope so, but after watching them roll over versus City I'm not certain
We still played ok vs City, just had some brain farts defensively. Besides, Chelsea aren’t as good as City are. Still they’ll give us a tough game. We’ll see what the table looks like by then.

AgentP

I just learnt that if two teams are level on points, it’s head-to-head that’s going to be the decider rather than goal difference. How many of you already knew this? This actually means that top 4 is truly in our own hands. Just win all our games and we finish 4th.

EDIT:

Went back and checked again and it looks like it's still GD. Sorry!

Last edited:

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
I just learnt that if two teams are level on points, it’s head-to-head that’s going to be the decider rather than goal difference. How many of you already knew this? This actually means that top 4 is truly in our own hands. Just win all our games and we finish 4th.
Give whoever told you that a gentle slap, they're wrong.

Head to head will only be used if goal difference AND goals scored are identical.

Mr Smith

I see Pep said tonight he has a lot of confidence that Man City will overturn their champions league ban. Money talks if that happens..
He's got to talk the talk, I wouldn't read much into it. I doubt he has any idea what's going on at boardroom level tbh, he'd be wanting to stay well out of it and keep himself squeaky clean.

We shouldn't pay any attention to it regardless. Top 4 is within reach, we should be getting it.

SirAnderson

How do people misread stuff like this. :lol:
It's GD bro.

Mr Smith

Are Arsenal a outside bet for top 5..or too far behind still do we think
They're 3 points behind Wolves with Leicester, Spurs and Liverpool still to play. Not impossible, but for me unlikely they win enough.

I think in the end we'll jump Leicester and it'll be between them and Wolves for 5th. Maybe Spurs too if they get their act together but I doubt it.

Gasolin

EDIT:

Went back and checked again and it looks like it's still GD. Sorry!
You’re not Mark Goldbridge or whatever his name, right? He said the same stuff and corrected himself, hence the question.

lsd

The Oracle
Arsenal are in the race they are playing well and if they beat Leicester will be a real threat . They will certainly beat Liverpool i have no doubt about that . Liverpool's season is over

Thiagoal

And then we beat Villa to go six points ahead of them with four games left (with better goal difference) Far too late for Arsenal thankfully

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
They won at anfield early on in the season.
Which game?

Liverpool lost league Cup vs Villa, FA Cup vs Chelsea. They lost their first league game vs Watford and lost only twice in league.

Mb194dc

Supports
Chelsea
Looks like 3 clubs for 2 spots to me. Wasn't particularly confident before game yesterday, I think if Giroud starts we've got a good chance of top 4 now. Good for us to have Liverpool away without any fans at Anfield and when they'll hopefully be thinking about holidays already. Wolves last won't be easy either, though if they're out of the race by then might have nothing to play for.

Leicester have Arsenal, Utd and Spurs in last 5 games.

I think Lampard will be pretty happy and quietly confident given our position and remaining games.

AgentP

You’re not Mark Goldbridge or whatever his name, right? He said the same stuff and corrected himself, hence the question.
Haha I was actually mislead by his tweet. After I saw his tweet, I googled it to confirm. I saw an article on the official premier league website about a new rule from 2019/20 season that said if points are level and GD is level, then head to head will be considered. I missed the bolded part :houllier:

Bilbo

TeaBaggins
People talking about Arsenal now being a threat, but there's no chance. We still want them to beat Leicester.

it does feel like 2 from 3 with Wolves defeat yesterday. They could have put down a really strong marker by beating Arsenal yesterday but they blew it.

Gerald G

People talking about Arsenal now being a threat, but there's no chance. We still want them to beat Leicester.

it does feel like 2 from 3 with Wolves defeat yesterday. They could have put down a really strong marker by beating Arsenal yesterday but they blew it.
I agree. Arsenal are not a threat and they will drop points over the next few games. They pretty much have to win every game to be in with a chance of top 4, and that will not happen

RyRy11

Wow, you think Leicester will lose just one of United, Arsenal & Spurs? I have Leicester down for 3 losses looking at their record since mid-December.
Leicester could easily get at least a point from all 3 of those games... We have to play them on the last day of the season with potentially Champions League football on the line, it will be more like a cup game if anything.

Leicester could easily get at least a point from all 3 of those games... We have to play them on the last day of the season with potentially Champions League football on the line, it will be more like a cup game if anything.
That'd be some turnaround @RyRy11

Leicester since 14th December:

DLLWWLLWDDLLWDDLW

17 games, 5 wins, 5 draws, 7 losses. 20 points.

https://www.transfermarkt.com/premier-league/formtabelle/wettbewerb/GB1?saison_id=2019&min=17&max=33

That'd be an absolutely incredible turnaround in form to now play United, Arsenal and Spurs and not lose a game.

Last edited:

MDFC Manager

Liverpool will certainly beat Chelsea. Their defense is quite leaky against fast countering teams.

CM

People talking up Arsenal are having a laugh. There's no way that team has it in them to bridge a 6 point gap to us and an 8-9 point gap to one of the teams above us. They've got Leicester, Spurs, Liverpool as their next 3 too.

Djemba-Djemba

I think Liverpool getting thrashed by City will probably help us , was clear Klopp was very unhappy with it.

Think they'll be more focused for the rest of the season.

RyRy11

That'd be some turnaround @RyRy11

Leicester since 14th December:

DLLWWLLWDDLLWDDLW

17 games, 5 wins, 5 draws, 7 losses. 20 points.

https://www.transfermarkt.com/premier-league/formtabelle/wettbewerb/GB1?saison_id=2019&min=17&max=33

That'd be an absolutely incredible turnaround in form to now play United, Arsenal and Spurs and not lose a game.
We’ve also had a incredible turnaround in form in the same time. Leicester are still a well coached team and currently still has more points than us.

arnie_ni

Looks like 3 clubs for 2 spots to me. Wasn't particularly confident before game yesterday, I think if Giroud starts we've got a good chance of top 4 now. Good for us to have Liverpool away without any fans at Anfield and when they'll hopefully be thinking about holidays already. Wolves last won't be easy either, though if they're out of the race by then might have nothing to play for.

Leicester have Arsenal, Utd and Spurs in last 5 games.

I think Lampard will be pretty happy and quietly confident given our position and remaining games.
Dont they lift the cup at home vs chelsea?

They wont want to lose that game

anant

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Arsenal can't finish above us guys! They're 6 points behind us with an inferior GD. You guys can't really be expecting us to drop points in atleast 3 of the remaining 5 games