Top 4 race 2016/17

Treble_Winning

Its a shit tournament lol. Its not a major honour.
It was not considered shit by Fergie, who withdrew from the FA Cup in order to compete in it.

I mentioned it because we have won it recently while Chelsea did not, and they did try to win it, I think they fielded a strong lineup and lost in the final to a South American team.

The reason why it is a unique competition is that it is the only competition where you have to play against teams from other continents. Totally different styles.

salford_

It was not considered shit by Fergie, who withdrew from the FA Cup in order to compete in it.

I mentioned it because we have won it recently while Chelsea did not, and they did try to win it, I think they fielded a strong lineup and lost in the final to a South American team.

The reason why it is a unique competition is that it is the only competition where you have to play against teams from other continents. Totally different styles.
SAF is SAf, but there is no way id have done that

salford_

Why not ask Mata if he was upset after losing the CWC final?

http://www.gettyimages.ae/detail/ne...-juan-mata-reacts-after-a-picture-id158422928

He seems pretty upset to me!
are you honestly trying to tell me, it is considered a major honour? It maybe is in say S.America, or Asia. But in Europe i will guarantee you it isnt.

Shall we include the charity shield and super cup too?

Now ask Mata would he rather win, out of a choice between EPL, Fa cup, EFL cup, Europe league, or obviously CL... or CWC.... i know which one wont get a look in

Last edited:

Treble_Winning

SAF is SAf, but there is no way id have done that
Sure, I'm not saying Fergie was right to do that, or that anyone should ever do that. That's not the point.

The point is that Fergie (who certainly is generally knowledgeable about Football) respected the CWC enough to do that. Which shows he did attach some pretty serious value to the competition and (strongly) wanted to win it. If managers want to win it, it's not a shit competition. The comparison to the ICC is not entirely fair. I would say it is definitely below the Europa League, probably equal in importance to the former Cup Winners Cup.

P-Nut

fan of well-known French footballer Fabinho
I'd rather win the CWC than the league cup. 100%. For those that don't wanna recognise it where do you draw the line for what is and isn't a major honour?

sizzling sausages

Thinks TBP is a soft tagline whore
Scout
I'd rather win the CWC than the league cup. 100%. For those that don't wanna recognise it where do you draw the line for what is and isn't a major honour?
I'd say there'd be quite a few players that would pick it over the FA Cup too. They'd definitely see being officially crowned the best club team in the world as something major, imo.

salford_

If you're going for the CWC you're more than likely gonna be in Europe anyway.
right, but you may not qualify for it next year, and that CWC is just a tick by your name.
7 teams enter the CWC, its not even shown in the UK when our teams enter... and do you honestly think when Real Madrid beat Kajima Antlers that is what made them 100% sure they were the best on the planet lol ? And that is was prestigious

I am sure some of our lesser sides in the EPL would beat Antlers

Last edited:

salford_

Its nice to win it, but hardly heartbreaking if you dont. Same as charity shield, and super cup.

Losing an FA cup final, or the 2 big European ones, even EFL cup to an extent (for clubs like Soton etc), can be gutting and really heartbreaking. I would 100% rather lose to Mamelodi Sundowns in the CWC, than not win the FA Cup.

You ask any Spurs fan, Arsenal fan, City fan, chelsea fan, Liverpool fan how much theyd like to see their side win the CWC,,, wont be many fans

and also the "Best club in the world" for winning CWC, is not an official title, its just an opinion.

Last edited:

P-Nut

Its nice to win it, but hardly heartbreaking if you dont. Same as charity shield, and super cup.

Losing an FA cup final, or the 2 big European ones, even EFL cup to an extent (for clubs like Soton etc), can be gutting and really heartbreaking. I would 100% rather lose to Mamelodi Sundowns in the CWC, than not win the FA Cup.

and also the "Best club in the world" for winning CWC, is not an official title, its just an opinion.
Well no because your world champions when you win it. The same way your not the best national side if you win the world cup then. :rolleyes:

salford_

Well no because your world champions when you win it. The same way your not the best national side if you win the world cup then. :rolleyes:
No because when you win the World Cup, you are World champions. When you win the premier league you are champions. CL winner is the champion of europe.

How does winning a 7 team tournament with one from each continent and beating Kajima Antlers, Guangzhou, Sao Paulo etc mean you are the best club side on the planet? Because the CWC is not contested between the best club sides on the planet, is it?

EDIT: I'd bet Antlers, Mamelodi Sundowns, Guangzhou, Palmeiras, Necaxa and that lot would not finish top half in most of Europe's leagues.

P-Nut

No because when you win the World Cup, you are World champions. When you win the premier league you are champions. CL winner is the champion of europe.

How does winning a 7 team tournament with one from each continent and beating Kajima Antlers, Guangzhou, Sao Paulo etc mean you are the best club side on the planet? Because the CWC is not contested between the best club sides on the planet, is it?

EDIT: I'd bet Antlers, Mamelodi Sundowns, Guangzhou, Palmeiras, Necaxa and that lot would not finish top half in most of Europe's leagues.
Because it's a tournament between the best sides from each continent. That means you're already the best side in Europe. By wining the CWC you are saying you're beating the best sides from each other continent so at the end of it all you must be the best team on the planet. No?

salford_

Because it's a tournament between the best sides from each continent. That means you're already the best side in Europe. By wining the CWC you are saying you're beating the best sides from each other continent so at the end of it all you must be the best team on the planet. No?
Not for me. Only opinions anyway but I wouldn't agree. :)

Francoruud

Supports
Chelsea
Guarantee you no Chelsea fan lost sleep about losing that final. It's a nice badge to have on your shirt and one more trophy to add to your trophy room but nothing special about it. Carries the same weight to me as the Super Cup. Does winning the Super Cup then "finally, officially" stamp your name as the "best side in Europe"? Please.

P-Nut

Guarantee you no Chelsea fan lost sleep about losing that final. It's a nice badge to have on your shirt and one more trophy to add to your trophy room but nothing special about it. Carries the same weight to me as the Super Cup. Does winning the Super Cup then "finally, officially" stamp your name as the "best side in Europe"? Please.
I don't deny it's about the same level as the super cup and league cup for me. I'd lose no sleep if we lost to Southampton on Sunday but I'd prefer to win it just like I would with every other competition.

MichaelRed

Not for me. Only opinions anyway but I wouldn't agree. :)
How is it an opinion? It's a fact that you're declared the best club in the world. You literally have to be the best in Europe to qualify and then you have to be the best in the world to win it.

Francoruud

Supports
Chelsea
How is it an opinion? It's a fact that you're declared the best club in the world. You literally have to be the best in Europe to qualify and then you have to be the best in the world to win it.
You don't have to be the best in the world to win it mate. :D

Giggs86

Being the best in Europe is basically making the club de-facto the best in the world. No glorified friendly like the CWC will change it. If the massive Kashima Antlers would've fluked a win on Real Madrid, would you consider them the best club in the world? Would you honestly say that Kashima is better than Barcelona, Bayern?

If this trophy is so important, could you name the club we have beaten in the 2008 final without google? I couldn't.

MichaelRed

You don't have to be the best in the world to win it mate. :D
You do, because you can't win it if you haven't qualified for it. Hull might be able to beat all the other teams but they can't win it since they can't win the CL to qualify. So you likely have to be the best team in the world just to get into it, at least if you're a team from Europe.

Oscie

Hilarious re-writing of history there. The UK govt put pressure on the club to play in the competition believing (falsely) it'd help England in their bid for the 2006 World Cup. It isn't something Fergie fancied so he withdrew the team from the FA Cup, he didn't have that power or probably inclination to do so.

UnrelatedPsuedo

I pity the poor fool who stinks like I do!
It's true in theory. Yet Auckland City played in it a couple of years back. This is their home stadium.

I think the team that wins the CL can happily say they're the best team on the planet. The CWC is an odd competition. Try to win it if you're in it, but nobody aims to win the CL in order to qualify for it y'know?

salford_

Kashima antlers second best in the world then? If they took part in the CL they'd be second favourites as only real Madrid are better in the world.

salford_

Being the best in Europe is basically making the club de-facto the best in the world. No glorified friendly like the CWC will change it. If the massive Kashima Antlers would've fluked a win on Real Madrid, would you consider them the best club in the world? Would you honestly say that Kashima is better than Barcelona, Bayern?

If this trophy is so important, could you name the club we have beaten in the 2008 final without google? I couldn't.
This. Real Madrid wouldn't have given a shit if they lost to antlers. No chance

Donut

Liverpool are not going to be a problem it seems, they're collapsing. Just need one more team to slip, but it's hard to see who. Arsenal are our best bet.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Liverpool are not going to be a problem it seems, they're collapsing. Just need one more team to slip, but it's hard to see who. Arsenal are our best bet.
The weekend could be huge now.
Beat Bournemouth and we are guaranteed going up a place.

Hard to know what to hope for between Arsenal and Liverpool now!

cyberman

Hope Liverpool beat Arsenal now.
That would really set us up. Its in our own hands then

hp88

Tough run Liverpool in April, Arsenal, Burnley, City and Everton. They could be out of race by April.

cyberman

Draw would be better surely?
I'm nervous about Arsenal's ability to grind out results down the home stretch so would like to see them drop as many points as they can before that.
Plus I don't see Liverpool as a threat anymore so it would only be a point gained for Arsenal rather than two rivals drawing.

Raw

Good chance to finally move out of 6th! Still shitting it for our tough away games near the end of the season though.

Shark

@NotShark
Let's move out of 6th and shut the scouse twats up that are gagging for a reason to still say we're shite. We're a top four team and it's time to be there now.

gaucho_10

The weekend could be huge now.
Beat Bournemouth and we are guaranteed going up a place.

Hard to know what to hope for between Arsenal and Liverpool now!
I guess Liverpool winning would be the best result for you.

tangent

Supports
chelsea
Kashima antlers second best in the world then? If they took part in the CL they'd be second favourites as only real Madrid are better in the world.
Id back the Antlers to win .....If they play the final in the rutting season.