Top 4 race 2016/17

cyberman

Indeed but we drew 1-1 against Everton with a back 3 and Koeman called us the best side he's ever seen. And yes in many games with a back 3 we've played very well and just didn't take our chances, but that excuse only applie to United. When we've played like shit we've still been the better side. Also I can count the amount of times we've blown chances just like you guys and ended up dropping points, Spurs at home, Chelsea at home, Everton at home (where we missed 2 penalties). Not to mention Middleboro. Had we taken them alone we'd be above Chelsea, but we didn't and those teams got results in the end but only United are allowed that excuse right?

"Hilarious" lol, amazing Man United make up 2 points on Hilarious City over 14 games. Your logic is astounding. Amazing your way to 4 points behind us after 25 games. What I'd call hilarious is an amazing team who have only scored 39 goals this season are currently 4 points behind City who you said will finish closer to Everton than you.

You have absolute bias against anything City and it comes out as rubbish. We've got more points than you on merit, we've scored more goals than you and over the course of the season so far we've been better than you on merit. We've also go marginally better form over the last 6 games.

I always posted you guys were better than your results btw if you read my posts on United but the difference is I will look at United and judge them without the hate, bias and rubbish that some of you guys use for City. But the bottom line is your form isn't amazing in comparsion to 6 of the top 7, its marginally better than 5 of them and thats using a United specific time line.
In recent form (last 6 games which is what most sites use) City and Everton have been better on merit, and since the start of the season the 5 teams above you deserve to be there.
Our form and points total has been better than all of the top 4 bar the runaway leaders for 4 months now.
You dont seem to grasp this and if you do, asking why we are so happy with the form has to be the most ridiculous question you could ask.
What was the stat? 20 goals conceded from 25 shots or something stupid? Yeah, we're comparable alright.
City have had some absoulute clunkers during this time. Southampton at home, Boro, second half v Swansea, not laying a hand on Liverpool, capitualting v Spurs and Chelsea. Leicester and Everton bending you over.
We control games a lot better than you and we're improving as the season goes on. That's why we're confident about our side.
Your posts seems like youre trying to reassure yourself that youre matching us performance wise over this time period.
Edit
I just noticed you went back to week 11 to make an argument about this. The natural turning point for United is Spurs at home, that's when we started to click and in the proceeding 11 games we have dropped 6 points. 6.
A quick look has City dropping 11 during that period.

Last edited:

padr81

Supports
Man City
Our form and points total has been better than all of the top 4 bar the runaway leaders for 4 months now.
You dont seem to grasp this and if you do, asking why we are so happy with the form has to be the most ridiculous question you could ask.
What was the stat? 20 goals conceded from 25 shots or something stupid? Yeah, we're comparable alright.
City have had some absoulute clunkers during this time. Southampton at home, Boro, second half v Swansea, not laying a hand on Liverpool, capitualting v Spurs and Chelsea. Leicester and Everton bending you over.
We control games a lot better than you and we're improving as the season goes on. That's why we're confident about our side.
Your posts seems like youre trying to reassure yourself that youre matching us performance wise over this time period.
I also will say again I never said you shouldn't be happy with your form I said its not amazing in comparison to the other top 6 teams.
I don't need to reassure myself its clear in the points total that 2 points in 14 games is better form but nothing to write home about and could be eradicated in 1 game, just like our lead over you could be cut down. Yes you are a good side and yes you are in good form but my point was some of you seem to think you are the only ones. You can take form from when it suits you if you like but on most current form tables and in the overall table we are above you.

You control games no more than us and I can throw the exact kind of results as you posted back (all part of your amazing form). Hull at home you controlled that to 0-0, Stoke, West Ham, Burnley. Let me guess?? You deserved to win all those but for bad luck and chances but we didn't deserve to win vs Southampton, Boro or Swansea (when we clearly did).

Take Hulls miracle result which you controlled to a credible draw 0-0, you had 16 shots to their 6, 6 on target to their 2, 2 clear cut chances to their one and 67% of the ball. So unlucky,
but we didn't deserve anything from
Middlesboro because we only made 70 odd % of the ball, 25 shots to their 5, 7 on target to their 3, 2 clear cut chances to their 0.
Or the Swansea game we didn't deserve to win last week where we had 69% of the ball, more shots than you vs Hull, more shots on taget than you vs Hull and made 3 clear cut chances in the game.
Also Southampton where we had 14 shots but our finishing was woeful and we only put 3 on target and paid the price.
Even the Stoke game where you had 25 shots, how many clear cut chances had you??? 2, but you guys somehow feel you deserved that one too because that logic only applies to United.

Tell me again how you deserved to win those games and we didn't deserve to win ours?? I'll tell you, its red tinted glasses.

We boss the ball in 90% of our games, yet you think we don't control games and even a couple of the Liverpool fans on here said we were unlucky not to take a point on our 2nd half performance but just like you guys we were toothless. Barely laying a hand on Liverpool but you guys are allowed to not lay a hand on Hull. You seem to think if United drop silly points its bad luck and it can be forgiven but not City. Honestly, you constantly quote me to get into City debates about how much better United are and how shit we are etc.. but the table for 5 of the last 6 seasons and the current table and form table say differently. I always enjoy our little disagreements despite your sometime daft statements about how bad we are and how we're not getting near top 4 etc.. I least I can take off my blue tinted glasses and look at you guys fairly. You either can't or no nothing about football, seeing as your posts on other stuff is rational I'd say its the former. Closer to Everton, theres not much for me to say after you posted that.

Rhyme Animal

Thinks Di Zerbi is better than Pep.
So your posting a video of a frustrated manager after 1 game because you have no answers for anything I posted.... Prove one of the things I've said wrong.
It's not a manager frustrated after 1 game though, is it?

Guardiola's debut season, after the ridiculous hype job it got at the beginning, has been a real let down for Citeh.

He's clearly unhappy at Citeh and he's been found out by the PL, and has looked in recent weeks like he's teetering on losing the dressing room.

Aguero is clearly off in the Summer, a player you'll miss way more than your daft fanbase will be willing to acknowledge until it's glaringly obvious.

And your squad is old and flat, a serious rebuild is needed, but is Guardiola the man to do that? And more importantly, is he the man who's gonna want to do that? Both genuine questions.

You can see he isn't happy, and after managing at the Barca, then Bayern, was it ever going to be easy for him to be satisfied by what City had to offer...?

Just look at the comparison in what he was experiencing every other week in terms of capacity -

Nou Camp - 99,000
Allianz - 75,000
Etihad - 55,000

And lets be honest, it's not as if that 55,000 is a raucous den, far from it.

So imagine taking that step down, and then you rock up and get found out by all these primitive PL sides - you can see, quite clearly that it bothers him.

He looks like a man that wishes he'd not gone there. And that's just an honest observation, it isn't biased.

padr81

Supports
Man City
It's not a manager frustrated after 1 game though, is it?

Guardiola's debut season, after the ridiculous hype job it got at the beginning, has been a real let down for Citeh.

He's clearly unhappy at Citeh and he's been found out by the PL, and has looked in recent weeks like he's teetering on losing the dressing room.

Aguero is clearly off in the Summer, a player you'll miss way more than your daft fanbase will be willing to acknowledge until it's glaringly obvious.

And your squad is old and flat, a serious rebuild is needed, but is Guardiola the man to do that? And more importantly, is he the man who's gonna want to do that? Both genuine questions.

You can see he isn't happy, and after managing at the Barca, then Bayern, was it ever going to be easy for him to be satisfied by what City had to offer...?

Just look at the comparison in what he was experiencing every other week in terms of capacity -

Nou Camp - 99,000
Allianz - 75,000
Etihad - 55,000

And lets be honest, it's not as if that 55,000 is a raucous den, far from it.

So imagine taking that step down, and then you rock up and get found out by all these primitive PL sides - you can see, quite clearly that it bothers him.

He looks like a man that wishes he'd not gone there. And that's just an honest observation, it isn't biased.
Pep with 52 points from 25 games is a let down down for City but Jose who arrived under equal hype to the best club in the world and is running 6th 4 points worse off has turned you into a well oiled machine. Pep's found out but Jose is a genius, he must be intentionally doing worse than Pep then.

Its good to know you know Aguero because Im pretty sure he said just a couple of weeks ago he stays if the club want him and the club immediately released a statement saying he's staying. But you believe what suits your agenda.

Our squad is old and flat. Yes we've got old players and need a reshuffle but we've got Jesus, Sane, Iheanacho (who I don't rate hugely,) Sterling, DeBruyne, Gundogan and Stones from our first team who are all under 27. Thats 6 of our probably first XI not including Iheanacho, we've also got Moreno, Aleix Garcia, Adarabioyo, Zinchenko, Roberts etc.. on the verge of the first team squad.
While our older players at the back will need replacing only the fullbacks and a CM are urgent for next season.

Its also good you know Pep as well as Aguero because I've not seen him come out and say he's unhappy either, also I'm pretty sure Pep did his homework on City and I'm pretty sure every fan in the world knows we're no Barca or Munich on the field or in terms of fanbase so I can't see why Pep would think any different, in fact Im pretty sure hes stated a few times he knows we're a smaller club than United, Liverpool etc...

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Pep with 52 points from 25 games is a let down down for City but Jose who arrived under equal hype to the best club in the world and is running 6th 4 points worse off has turned you into a well oiled machine. Pep's found out but Jose is a genius, he must be intentionally doing worse than Pep then.

Its good to know you know Aguero because Im pretty sure he said just a couple of weeks ago he stays if the club want him and the club immediately released a statement saying he's staying. But you believe what suits your agenda.

Our squad is old and flat. Yes we've got old players and need a reshuffle but we've got Jesus, Sane, Iheanacho (who I don't rate hugely,) Sterling, DeBruyne, Gundogan and Stones from our first team who are all under 27. Thats 6 of our probably first XI not including Iheanacho, we've also got Moreno, Aleix Garcia, Adarabioyo, Zinchenko, Roberts etc.. on the verge of the first team squad.
While our older players at the back will need replacing only the fullbacks and a CM are urgent for next season.

Its also good you know Pep as well as Aguero because I've not seen him come out and say he's unhappy either, also I'm pretty sure Pep did his homework on City and I'm pretty sure every fan in the world knows we're no Barca or Munich on the field or in terms of fanbase so I can't see why Pep would think any different, in fact Im pretty sure hes stated a few times he knows we're a smaller club than United, Liverpool etc...
It's a funny thing perception isn't it.
I think the comments on City come because over the last 5 years or so they've clearly had the best squad, but have underachieved with it.

Although City are currently ahead of United, it does feel like momentum has shifted. United have lost just 3 league games with perhaps only 4 halves of football all season where we've been outplayed. The draws where we've lashed teams have held us back.
City have made some horrific buys, Stones and your keeper have been dreadful, the old guard are looking every inch on their last legs, and what has happened to Aguero? Seems a step or 2 slower, and Pep clearly wants something different from his frontman.

I could see Pep packing it in midway next season, very easily. It depends if the PSG job comes up, or some far east super money role.

padr81

Supports
Man City
It's a funny thing perception isn't it.
I think the comments on City come because over the last 5 years or so they've clearly had the best squad, but have underachieved with it.

Although City are currently ahead of United, it does feel like momentum has shifted. United have lost just 3 league games with perhaps only 4 halves of football all season where we've been outplayed. The draws where we've lashed teams have held us back.
City have made some horrific buys, Stones and your keeper have been dreadful, the old guard are looking every inch on their last legs, and what has happened to Aguero? Seems a step or 2 slower, and Pep clearly wants something different from his frontman.

I could see Pep packing it in midway next season, very easily. It depends if the PSG job comes up, or some far east super money role.
Perception is indeed everything.

Before Cyberman and I went off track though my original point is since week 11 United have wracked up a quite impressive 30 points to City's 28. I just don't see how that vastly better form, better form? yes by 2 points. I don't see that as a major swing in momentum, I said here when United had their wobble they would put it right and they have albeit still being toothless at times and I said the same about City and its looking like we have too. I also don't believe we are vastly superior to United in fact its hard to say if we're even better but when people say Pep is a failure but Jose is not that doesn't make sense to me, just like United fans calling Jose and Ibra a failure.

Stones has looked a bit better since Bravo got the chop in fairness but I'm on the fence about him as he'll always be mistake prone. Since Willy replaced Bravo we've conceded 1 goal in 4 games.

As for you guys lashing teams and not been rewarded see my post to Cyberman above.

Bepi

Supports
Juventus
It seems to me that City are still a full notch above United overall and it's only their blip, together with the novel and encouraging late United consistency, making them look on par. On average and if routine is restored after havoc, City should still finish 2nd to 3rd while United 4th to 6th.

cyberman

I also will say again I never said you shouldn't be happy with your form I said its not amazing in comparison to the other top 6 teams.
I don't need to reassure myself its clear in the points total that 2 points in 14 games is better form but nothing to write home about and could be eradicated in 1 game, just like our lead over you could be cut down. Yes you are a good side and yes you are in good form but my point was some of you seem to think you are the only ones. You can take form from when it suits you if you like but on most current form tables and in the overall table we are above you.

You control games no more than us and I can throw the exact kind of results as you posted back (all part of your amazing form). Hull at home you controlled that to 0-0, Stoke, West Ham, Burnley. Let me guess?? You deserved to win all those but for bad luck and chances but we didn't deserve to win vs Southampton, Boro or Swansea (when we clearly did).

Take Hulls miracle result which you controlled to a credible draw 0-0, you had 16 shots to their 6, 6 on target to their 2, 2 clear cut chances to their one and 67% of the ball. So unlucky,
but we didn't deserve anything from
Middlesboro because we only made 70 odd % of the ball, 25 shots to their 5, 7 on target to their 3, 2 clear cut chances to their 0.
Or the Swansea game we didn't deserve to win last week where we had 69% of the ball, more shots than you vs Hull, more shots on taget than you vs Hull and made 3 clear cut chances in the game.
Also Southampton where we had 14 shots but our finishing was woeful and we only put 3 on target and paid the price.
Even the Stoke game where you had 25 shots, how many clear cut chances had you??? 2, but you guys somehow feel you deserved that one too because that logic only applies to United.

Tell me again how you deserved to win those games and we didn't deserve to win ours?? I'll tell you, its red tinted glasses.

We boss the ball in 90% of our games, yet you think we don't control games and even a couple of the Liverpool fans on here said we were unlucky not to take a point on our 2nd half performance but just like you guys we were toothless. Barely laying a hand on Liverpool but you guys are allowed to not lay a hand on Hull. You seem to think if United drop silly points its bad luck and it can be forgiven but not City. Honestly, you constantly quote me to get into City debates about how much better United are and how shit we are etc.. but the table for 5 of the last 6 seasons and the current table and form table say differently. I always enjoy our little disagreements despite your sometime daft statements about how bad we are and how we're not getting near top 4 etc.. I least I can take off my blue tinted glasses and look at you guys fairly. You either can't or no nothing about football, seeing as your posts on other stuff is rational I'd say its the former. Closer to Everton, theres not much for me to say after you posted that.
You seem to be retconning your season which makes no sense to me. You've had plenty of games where you have had all the possession yet it was all sideways and LVG like. I mentioned those games because in those games you have at least 45 mins of mediocrity. Full halves of nothing football and defensive blunders. Halves where you are clearly second best and struggled against organised defences.
Comparing that to Stoke is a ridiculous point to make. We cut them apart time and time again, Mata with the miss of the season but the point is that was our Leicester. That was our Everton. A drawn game which we dominated.
When people talk about our form we don't go as far back as Chelsea. I don't know why you keep going back that far. When posters mention how far we've come, the points we've made up, its the table after the Everton game thats quoted. Not the points gained since the Chelsea game.
Again we've dropped 6 points in 11 games. That's less than Chelsea. Those 11 games and the cup games inbetween is what we point to.
You seem to be arguing with stats that nobody is disputing.
We were at our lowest after the Everton game. To claim our run of good form started weeks before that is ridiculous.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Perception is indeed everything.

Before Cyberman and I went off track though my original point is since week 11 United have wracked up a quite impressive 30 points to City's 28. I just don't see how that vastly better form, better form? yes by 2 points. I don't see that as a major swing in momentum, I said here when United had their wobble they would put it right and they have albeit still being toothless at times and I said the same about City and its looking like we have too. I also don't believe we are vastly superior to United in fact its hard to say if we're even better but when people say Pep is a failure but Jose is not that doesn't make sense to me, just like United fans calling Jose and Ibra a failure.

Stones has looked a bit better since Bravo got the chop in fairness but I'm on the fence about him as he'll always be mistake prone. Since Willy replaced Bravo we've conceded 1 goal in 4 games.

As for you guys lashing teams and not been rewarded see my post to Cyberman above.
I think it's mostly because most people would have thought that City underachieved with what they had last year, whereas United needed a lot of work.
Our difference in style of play has been about as different as it gets versus last year,meaning it's not just about position as well, especially as 2nd to 6th is such a negligible difference.
Whereas last year, there was quite a big gap

padr81

Supports
Man City
I think it's mostly because most people would have thought that City underachieved with what they had last year, whereas United needed a lot of work.
Our difference in style of play has been about as different as it gets versus last year,meaning it's not just about position as well, especially as 2nd to 6th is such a negligible difference.
Whereas last year, there was quite a big gap
Yeah but last year this city side only pipped you on goal difference and both sides underperformed in fact it cost lvg his job. I still believe some of your fans use one rule for United and one for another. I can fully understand Jose being night and day to lvg but Pep is the same to pelligrini. My issue is not with your form which is top notch, it's with some supporters dismissing the form of teams doing almost as well as and calling them finished. The reason I use City in my replies is because they are the team I know best, but the same argument can be made by Spurs or even arsenal fans could put forward a similar story too.

namco

We'll sign our key targets at the end of the season with or without CL.
Like Laporte you mean :) You had the bestest, shiniest manager coming, you offered him more cash than he could ever dream of, yet, he still snubbed you. You then come out with all this BS that you never wanted him anyway & Stones was the intended target all along.

Make no mistake to most players playing for City is about as attractive as tits on a boy. This is even with Pep, CL & the blank cheque that goes with it. The only reason you get most of your targets is that nobody else is interested or you massively over pay, Sterling, Stones, Mangala etc etc.

Bepi

Supports
Juventus
> The only reason you get most of your targets is that nobody else is interested or you massively over pay, Sterling, Stones, Mangala etc etc.

This is a general PL problem though, going overseas and paying the customary £25m-to-£40m or thrice the actual value for exotic names from smaller leagues. I still think PL would do better looking at Central or Eastern Europe instead of Mediterranean countries.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Yeah but last year this city side only pipped you on goal difference and both sides underperformed in fact it cost lvg his job. I still believe some of your fans use one rule for United and one for another. I can fully understand Jose being night and day to lvg but Pep is the same to pelligrini. My issue is not with your form which is top notch, it's with some supporters dismissing the form of teams doing almost as well as and calling them finished. The reason I use City in my replies is because they are the team I know best, but the same argument can be made by Spurs or even arsenal fans could put forward a similar story too.
Oh it is classic football fan kneejerkery to say how teams have been "found out", or "finished" after one result.

I've always been confident of finishing above Liverpool, as to me their squad seems so weak.

But I can't see who else we're going to get above.
Arsenal and City, it would be unthinkable for them to be outside top 4, and Tottenham don't lose many at all.

Our run of Arsenal and Tottenham away back to back, and knowing the FA, City away thrown in very close to them, could easily be at least 6 lost points.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Like Laporte you mean :) You had the bestest, shiniest manager coming, you offered him more cash than he could ever dream of, yet, he still snubbed you. You then come out with all this BS that you never wanted him anyway & Stones was the intended target all along.

Make no mistake to most players playing for City is about as attractive as tits on a boy. This is even with Pep, CL & the blank cheque that goes with it. The only reason you get most of your targets is that nobody else is interested or you massively over pay, Sterling, Stones, Mangala etc etc.
"most" players? :lol:
Come on son, not even you believe that.

I think in actual fact "most" players would share a naked ride in a smart car across ISIS territory with Katie Hopkins and Piers Morgan to get there!

namco

"most" players? :lol:
Come on son, not even you believe that.

I think in actual fact "most" players would share a naked ride in a smart car across ISIS territory with Katie Hopkins and Piers Morgan to get there!
I should have said elite level players. It's obvious if City wanted Charlie Adam they could get him. As per my OP, they had everything going in their favour yet still lost out on Laporte. It's highly likely they were interested in Pogba also. There have likely been numerous other targets they have failed to attain. It doesn't look good though when you are offering players all the cash they want & CL football yet they still won't sign.

SwansonsTache

incontinent sexual deviant & German sausage lover
Beat your chest and shout your slogans. Fact is they silenced your crowd until your second goal gave you a sense of relief with their great support despite being outnumbered about 8 to 1.

Am I wrong?
Yeah, away support is like that, see for instance MUFC' away support silencing about every stadium in the country.

Vocal support, attendance and support really isn't a yardstick you as a MC fan will want to try beating MUFC with.

Other than that I agree with some of your posts. Don't understand the overly bullish sentiment of some of our fans in here, we still have a long way to go, since we've effectively been a club in crisis for three years counting now.

IMO that is where a lot of supporters gets it wrong. You must consider the relative state the clubs are coming from going into the season, we've been molested by Dour-Dave and Phil O'Sophy for the last three seasons and were just about traumatized as a club, squad and fanbase, while most clubs in the top6 didn't have this backdrop and could build from relative strength.

IMO we've come a long way in half a season. Still no point in getting all swaggerish like we used to be like some of our fans on here do though, we're not a patch on what we once were yet and I don't think either us, you or the chavs ever will enjoy a period of dominance like we had in the SAF years. Those times are gone.

Last edited:

padr81

Supports
Man City
You seem to be retconning your season which makes no sense to me. You've had plenty of games where you have had all the possession yet it was all sideways and LVG like. I mentioned those games because in those games you have at least 45 mins of mediocrity. Full halves of nothing football and defensive blunders. Halves where you are clearly second best and struggled against organised defences.
Comparing that to Stoke is a ridiculous point to make. We cut them apart time and time again, Mata with the miss of the season but the point is that was our Leicester. That was our Everton. A drawn game which we dominated.
When people talk about our form we don't go as far back as Chelsea. I don't know why you keep going back that far. When posters mention how far we've come, the points we've made up, its the table after the Everton game thats quoted. Not the points gained since the Chelsea game.
Again we've dropped 6 points in 11 games. That's less than Chelsea. Those 11 games and the cup games inbetween is what we point to.
You seem to be arguing with stats that nobody is disputing.
We were at our lowest after the Everton game. To claim our run of good form started weeks before that is ridiculous.
Apologies about taking so long to respond. I used that far back as a reference as someone posted that's when you went sixth.

But I've also pointed out the last 25 games and the last 6. You'll of course point out the place to suit your argument. But I've given 3 references at various points since start of the season, including since you went 6th and the last 6 games where city have been at least your equals or as good as whereas you have replied with you were shut in game x for 45 minutes but in almost all those games stats showed we were still the better side.

Of course I'll compare it to Stoke as we were easily as dominant probably more dominant against Middlesborough but not according to you. Your using one argument for United and one for city.

No one is saying your not as good as the rest of the top 6 in fact in the predication thread though I put city first I said any of us, you and Chelsea could win. I still have a sneaky feeling it will be those 3 just in reverse order but what I am saying is your not much if any better and since you went 6th and during your unbeaten run you've not closed up on any of the rest by more than 3 points, Liverpool aside. So despite your great form your still pretty much where you started. Of course you can pick after Everton but that's one strongly United favored reference, I've given you 3 over a really spread out time that says your night better than the rest. Will your low goals conceded get you ahead of City, maybe but it's just ad likely our offence will keep us above you.

Of course there was times you were further and with regards city a time you were closer but the gap is pretty much what it was the day you went 6th.

padr81

Supports
Man City
Oh it is classic football fan kneejerkery to say how teams have been "found out", or "finished" after one result.

I've always been confident of finishing above Liverpool, as to me their squad seems so weak.

But I can't see who else we're going to get above.
Arsenal and City, it would be unthinkable for them to be outside top 4, and Tottenham don't lose many at all.

Our run of Arsenal and Tottenham away back to back, and knowing the FA, City away thrown in very close to them, could easily be at least 6 lost points.
See you are honest in your assessment of other, some of your fans just can't give City or Liverpool anything (understandable given its a United forum). Some fans seem to think being a United fan means shitting on their rivals and giving none an inch, in fairness its the same with fans of every club (look at BM/RAWK) but I don't feel the need to hate United because I support City.

I think you'll make it as you won't concede as many as Arsenal, Liverpool and City but you will probably have to get someone to hit a bit of form to help Ibra stick the ball in the net, although that has been improving. It depends on how long Arsenal take to get back on there feet, same with Spurs. That said both Manchester clubs have the hardest run ins and I think that gives Spurs in particular a great chance. Both you guys and them won't lose many but likewise I don't see you winning as many as we will at City. I picked City, United and Chelsea as the top 3 and I think that will be the case just in a different order. I also happen to think they are the 3 best squad with Spurs and Arsenal close behind. Liverpool are certainly the weakest squad of the top 6 and are lacking in the really crucial area's. They don't have a Sanchez, Kane, Ibra or Aguero to stick the ball in the net and their defence is on a par with Arsenal and ours which I think will be their ultimate downfall, they are though a frightening team when on song.

stevieg4ever

Supports
Liverpool
I think the financial muscle of United is key, rather than Liverpool's 'reckless' spending. United can afford to get transfers wrong whereas Liverpool have less room for error. Di Maria is the obvious case in point here.

I'd say Liverpool's transfers aren't reckless. They're not perfect, sometimes poor, but that's not necessarily reckless. No more than others, really. In fact, since their early flurries in the market, FSG are far too conservative for reckless spending to be a predominant feature.
Liverpool fan??

Our transfers have been a disaster since Rogers: Aspas, Luis Alberto, Allen, Markovic, Balotelli, Borini, Moreno, Sakho, Can, Karius, Benteke as well as lots of duds that have gone Nowhere even if massive fees weren't apart of the deal: Moses, Cissoko, Manquillo, Lambert. Honestly too many to mention. We wasted the Torres money on CHAD back in the day, the Suarez money on the above, we are awful in the transfer market though Klopp marks a steady improvement in this respect.

United got rid of Di Maria quickly where as we tend to hold on to our mediocre players let their contracts run down, loan them out with us footing most of the wage bill etc.

Reactions: Akshay

stevieg4ever

Supports
Liverpool
More to do with us pushing on as a club on and off the field in the 90's as opposed to Liverpool who sat on their laurels and thought success was a prerequisite for the club, resulting in falling way behind us and still playing catch up.
Presumably you mean your commercial and matchday revenue, not you spending record sums to be in 6th with a good shot at the Europa League and League Cup?

Last edited:

padr81

Supports
Man City
Yeah, away support is like that, see for instance MUFC' away support silencing about every stadium in the country.

Vocal support, attendance and support really isn't a yardstick you as a MC fan will want to try beating MUFC with.

Other than that I agree with some of your posts. Don't understand the overly bullish sentiment of some of our fans in here, we still have a long way to go, since we've effectively been a club in crisis for three years counting now.

IMO that is where a lot of supporters gets it wrong. You must consider the relative state the clubs are coming from going into the season, we've been molested by Dour-Dave and Phil O'Sophy for the last three seasons and were just about traumatized as a club, squad and fanbase, while most clubs in the top6 didn't have this backdrop and could build from relative strength.

IMO we've come a long way in half a season. Still no point in getting all swaggerish like we used to be like some of our fans on here do though, we're not a patch on what we once were yet and I don't think either us, you or the chavs ever will enjoy a period of dominance like we had in the SAF years. Those times are gone.
Great post dunno how I missed this.

Hemil

Supports
Chelsea
Feels so good seeing utd and city fans arguing with each other regarding who is having a better season from Pep and Jose when Conte is killing it. :drool:

Gentleman Jim

It's absolutely amazing! Perfect even.
Supports
city

What a crock.
We wanted Laporte and Stones. We got Stones and Laporte deal was set but he snubbed/bottled it. His choice. Can you convince me that we didn't want him anyway by linking me to a credible City poster stating that fact? I remember many where we were called crazy for wanting him and Gundogan and Laporte as both were injured at the time.

Just for context, there have been a few times in the last couple of years when you thought a deal was over the line but it didn't happen. You've had Thiago Alcantara, Muller, Kroos, Sneijder, Bale, returning Ronaldo, Lewandowski and probably others all on their way to OT but somehow never arriving.
The players mentioned that we overpay for. Sterling-nope. Stones-too soon to say. Mangala-100%.
You could add de Bruyne, Sane, G Jesus who combined cost less than Pogba and Delay (:lol:). I can play the selective game too.

Gentleman Jim

Supports
city
Feels so good seeing utd and city fans arguing with each other regarding who is having a better season from Pep and Jose when Conte is killing it. :drool:
Yep. I predicted Chelsea to win this seasons PL back in June on a PM to a United Caf member but I underestimated the ease in which they'd do it by.
It's all gone very well injuries/fixtures wise though, hasn't it, and you must agree that next season will be much tougher?

Well done for your season so far, you've deserved your lofty position.

NK86

Is NK86 the Zoological Society's Serial Number for an ostrich?
I watched the match last night through very expensive and high quality headphones and you were totally and completely silenced.
N'est ce que pas?
High quality headphones. :lol: As for being quiet, well that is said about all games at OT but most match goers here will say it's nonsense but obviously your headphones are proof enough.

You noisy neighbours are still obsessed, aren't you?

Gentleman Jim

Supports
city
High quality headphones. :lol: As for being quiet, well that is said about all games at OT but most match goers here will say it's nonsense but obviously your headphones are proof enough.

You noisy neighbours are still obsessed, aren't you?
Not really.
Fancy talking about Arsenal or Barca?
I have an interest beyond my own club as I enjoy football in general.
Just for the record, were you at the ground on Thursday? I'm sort of interested because if you were then maybe you can tell me that other than a short lived "United, United" after the first goal I never heard a peep from your masses until the tie was put to bed.
My high quality headphones may be faulty and I could ask for a refund.
If you were there you maybe could advise me.

stevieg4ever

Supports
Liverpool
Football is a spectator and tourist sport now, the prawn sandwich gluten free brigade have taken over. Same at LFC, Arsenal are the worst though.

Treble_Winning

What a crock.
We wanted Laporte and Stones. We got Stones and Laporte deal was set but he snubbed/bottled it. His choice. Can you convince me that we didn't want him anyway by linking me to a credible City poster stating that fact? I remember many where we were called crazy for wanting him and Gundogan and Laporte as both were injured at the time.

Just for context, there have been a few times in the last couple of years when you thought a deal was over the line but it didn't happen. You've had Thiago Alcantara, Muller, Kroos, Sneijder, Bale, returning Ronaldo, Lewandowski and probably others all on their way to OT but somehow never arriving.
The players mentioned that we overpay for. Sterling-nope. Stones-too soon to say. Mangala-100%.
You could add de Bruyne, Sane, G Jesus who combined cost less than Pogba and Delay (:lol:). I can play the selective game too.
Laporte? Not a top tier player IMO. It would have been yet another £50 million signing by City, yet another expensive flop just like Stones.

City's biggest mistakes have been their mismanagement of Joe Hart and Yaya Toure. Good players. Proven. Dependable. But cast into the cold by an egotistical manager. Your GK Bravo (a Pep favourite) is by no means better than Hart.

Gentleman Jim

Supports
city
Laporte? Not a top tier player IMO. It would have been yet another £50 million signing by City, yet another expensive flop just like Stones.
Stones is still young and has improved markedly recently. Jury's out. Too early to brand him a flop.
City's biggest mistakes have been their mismanagement of Joe Hart and Yaya Toure.
Hart doesn't fit the system and is (IMO) a gobby tw*t. Not sorry to see him go. Yaya has been handled brilliantly by Pep. He's gone from being an overweight, lumbering sour has-been with an ass hole Agent to being a lean, energetic team player who mentors the kids well and may well get another contract. Good players. Proven. Dependable. But cast into the cold by an egotistical manager.
See above.

Your GK Bravo (a Pep favourite) is by no means better than Hart.
He's better in respect of playing out from the back, something Pep highly values but his shot stopping has been pretty bad. Pep has promoted Willy Caballero and at the end of the season may well bring in Moraes from Benfica who will hopefully provide everything we need at the position. We'll see.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
See you are honest in your assessment of other, some of your fans just can't give City or Liverpool anything (understandable given its a United forum). Some fans seem to think being a United fan means shitting on their rivals and giving none an inch, in fairness its the same with fans of every club (look at BM/RAWK) but I don't feel the need to hate United because I support City.

I think you'll make it as you won't concede as many as Arsenal, Liverpool and City but you will probably have to get someone to hit a bit of form to help Ibra stick the ball in the net, although that has been improving. It depends on how long Arsenal take to get back on there feet, same with Spurs. That said both Manchester clubs have the hardest run ins and I think that gives Spurs in particular a great chance. Both you guys and them won't lose many but likewise I don't see you winning as many as we will at City. I picked City, United and Chelsea as the top 3 and I think that will be the case just in a different order. I also happen to think they are the 3 best squad with Spurs and Arsenal close behind. Liverpool are certainly the weakest squad of the top 6 and are lacking in the really crucial area's. They don't have a Sanchez, Kane, Ibra or Aguero to stick the ball in the net and their defence is on a par with Arsenal and ours which I think will be their ultimate downfall, they are though a frightening team when on song.
It's boiling up into one hell of a finish. We've given ourselves a real chance as at one stage when we seemed to draw at home for seemingly months, and were 9/10 points off the mixer.
The FA Cup probably adds confusion too, as you could easily see all 5 of the top 6 still in there getting through, adding everyone an extra game.

Arsenal look very wobbly. They must have a better home record than us, due to our 5 or 6 draws, but they've won at least 2 or 3 games super late, and with 3 losses in their last 4 or so, including that shattering 5-1 midweek, they are looking very vulnerable. Wenger for the first time talking about how he will be managing next season, and giving "somewhere else" as a possibility looks ominous too.

Tottenham look a bit fragile, and a couple of attacking injuries from their first X1 and they've next to nothing to come in

cyberman

Not really.
Just for the record, were you at the ground on Thursday? I'm sort of interested because if you were then maybe you can tell me that other than a short lived "United, United" after the first goal I never heard a peep from your masses until the tie was put to bed.
Are you ok mate?

NK86

Not really.
I wasn't there and hence I cannot make blind assumptions like you seem to like to do. There is plenty proof that the mikes are placed near the away support to ramp up their noise levels too.

However, the point about the crowd being "quiet" leading to a conclusion that we were not good is amazing.

Kraftwerker

Formerly RedAddict
Not really.
Everyone knows United's home support is not exactly loud. Not sure what point you're trying to prove? Is it just finding some petty angle to have a go because we've been getting good results?

United's away support is unsurpassed though and that is more often than not where you need your support more.

Not exactly like other top clubs are making a cauldron of noise in their home ground. Especially when a hefty part of the ground is empty seats...

PickledRed

Supports
Liverpool
Liverpool fan??

Our transfers have been a disaster since Rogers: Aspas, Luis Alberto, Allen, Markovic, Balotelli, Borini, Moreno, Sakho, Can, Karius, Benteke as well as lots of duds that have gone Nowhere even if massive fees weren't apart of the deal: Moses, Cissoko, Manquillo, Lambert. Honestly too many to mention. We wasted the Torres money on CHAD back in the day, the Suarez money on the above, we are awful in the transfer market though Klopp marks a steady improvement in this respect.

United got rid of Di Maria quickly where as we tend to hold on to our mediocre players let their contracts run down, loan them out with us footing most of the wage bill etc.
One-eyed analysis here. Just remember the term reckless is what I was taking issue with. Poor transfers aren't, by default, reckless.

You say it's been a disaster since Rodgers but don't mention several of his buys: Coutinho, Lovren, Sturridge, Origi, Clyne, Lallana, Milner and Firmino. They range from excellent to pretty good. Even Allen did a decent job and was sold for good money.

Also, Klopp's business has been very good overall: Mané, Wijnaldum and Matip are very good business.

As for your list:

Karius isn't reckless at all - too cheap to be.
Can - plays nearly every game. Was excellent at times last season and under Rodgers but has lost his way this season. Not reckless.
Benteke - the one really big outlay on your list. Sold a year later for the same price. How's this different to Di Maria?
Balotelli - terrible business.
Moreno - very average full back but not a complete disaster.

The other names, I agree were largely poor business but that's not reason to lambast the club as having a disastrous transfer record. The facts simply don't back it up. It's not perfect at all, but whose is?

As an aside, Cissoko is an odd one to mention. He did absolutely nothing wrong in a Liverpool shirt - came on loan, did a job, left. Not reckless.

Gentleman Jim

Supports
city
Everyone knows United's home support is not exactly loud. Not sure what point you're trying to prove? Is it just finding some petty angle to have a go because we've been getting good results?

United's away support is unsurpassed though and that is more often than not where you need your support more.

Not exactly like other top clubs are making a cauldron of noise in their home ground. Especially when a hefty part of the ground is empty seats...
My point is that Thursday night was close to being an awful night for you but was dressed up as some kind of masterful dismantling of the opposition.
The noise element was just part of my thinking but seems to have been isolated and the predictable empty seats jibes from you has obviously made an appearance (there were plenty of those at OT the other night but I made no mention of them) as did your usual financially doped plaything mantra that you always seem to roll out whenever you post about City.

You just can't help yourself can you? Unsurpassed in what way? Numbers? You have the most fans so you have the most potential folks to buy the available tickets and the success you had under Ferguson makes it an easy sell when you're very likely to win the game you're attending. Volume? You're good in that regard, nothing special.
Your songs lack any humour except spiteful mocking of opponents.

Not exactly like other top clubs are making a cauldron of noise in their home ground. Especially when a hefty part of the ground is empty seats..
I assume that the reference to empty seats is aimed at us? If so, does it prove that the great Kraftwerker (should it be Showroom Dummy?) now accepts that Ickle Citeh are a top club?

Gentleman Jim

Supports
city
I wasn't there and hence I cannot make blind assumptions like you seem to like to do. There is plenty proof that the mikes are placed near the away support to ramp up their noise levels too.

However, the point about the crowd being "quiet" leading to a conclusion that we were not good is amazing.

As stated in my response Kraftwerker the noise levels is just part of the reason that Thursday night was not the glowing success that it's been painted as.

NK86

As stated in my response Kraftwerker the noise levels is just part of the reason that Thursday night was not the glowing success that it's been painted as.
By that reckoning, you lot never play well at the Etihad.

Kraftwerker

Formerly RedAddict
United's away support are regularly cited as the best and loudest visitors to most grounds around the country (from the relatively neutral teams at least).

And lighten up, your posts come across very bitter and defensive. If you can't even take an empty seats jibe in good humour, then you probably shouldn't spend your time on a rival website.

padr81

Supports
Man City

City's biggest mistakes have been their mismanagement of Joe Hart and Yaya Toure. Good players. Proven. Dependable. But cast into the cold by an egotistical manager. Your GK Bravo (a Pep favourite) is by no means better than Hart.
You obviously don't watch City, Toure has been a key player since his apology and played almost every game. Bravo is 2nd choice goalkeeper too.

Gentleman Jim

Supports
city
United's away support are regularly cited as the best and loudest visitors to most grounds around the country (from the relatively neutral teams at least).

And lighten up, your posts come across very bitter and defensive. If you can't even take an empty seats jibe in good humour, then you probably shouldn't spend your time on a rival website.
Sez the man who constantly bitches about other teams and the source of their funding.
Bitter and defensive about retaining your stranglehold on the PL seems top of your list of priorities.
Is competition not healthy?