Top 4 race / race abandoned (or maybe not) / Leicester & Chelsea in the process of bottling it

Gandalf

I actually think not being able to take any joy in the wretched league campaigns from Liverpool, Arsenal and Spurs this season (or any other season, ever again) might be the single worst thing about this poxy super league.
To be fair, it seems the Super League is not workable this summer so 2022 is the earliest it can happen so their wretched seasons will cost them. Of course we all might be banned anyway so it could be moot but I am still hoping for a solution where the revamped CL is tweaked enough to make this go away.

Hernandez - BFA

The Way to Fly
So indifferent to Liverpool dropping points. A week ago, I’d be buzzing that their top 4 chance are being scuppered.

Means absolutely sweet all now. Truly numb.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
So indifferent to Liverpool dropping points. A week ago, I’d be buzzing that their top 4 chance are being scuppered.

Means absolutely sweet all now. Truly numb.
Yup. Football has been such a big part of my life up until now. It all feels so irrelevant and dead now though. feck this past year and feck people like Perez and the Glazers

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Liverpool missing out on the CL would have otherwise been such great news. feckers find some way in.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
This thread shows one of biggest feck ups of ESL. Rivalry is dead. You can't laugh to your rival anymore.

amolbhatia50k

This actually gives us a little taste of life in the ESL; you never really lose, there's always a 2nd chance and you'll deffo be in it next season.
Yup, cash keeps rolling in. No real consequences of being run by idiots or having a really bad year.

amolbhatia50k

This thread shows one of biggest feck ups of ESL. Rivalry is dead. You can't laugh to your rival anymore.
The most entertaining part about this season is Liverpool being fecking awful and potentially missing out of CL footy setting back big time. Thanks SL for nipping that in the bud.

GhastlyHun

Supports
Bayern München
This thread is really all anyone ever needs to look at to see why the proposed closed shop qualification-less super league system is utter bullshit.

AgentSmith

This upcoming game would probably have been one of the most enjoyable of our season before the recent developments.

We’re in great form and we’ll have had a week’s rest for the first time in months. Leeds are a rival who are in good form and, being fair to them, play a proactive and exciting style of football that you don’t usually associate with a promoted club. It’s also a suicidal style of football against a team who can counter-attack the way we do. It will absolutely be an exciting game with guaranteed goals.

Then you throw in the historic hatred, you add in our first trip to Elland Road in a decade, with a sprinkling of intrigue from the fact that we could possibly go within 5 points of City and it’s everything you could want from a Premier League game given the current circumstances.

But instead I feel nothing but apathy. What’s the point? What are we actually playing for if the general direction the club is taking is at complete odds with what the majority of fans want?

The main piece of progress I think many of us had taken from this season was that we had secured a very comfortable Champions League position for the 2nd year running for the first time since Fergie left. That means nothing now because we’re automatically in the new competition anyways.

And one of the biggest takeaways from this year was that West Ham and Leicester may have taken Chelsea and Liverpool’s places in the Champions League, while Arsenal and Spurs didn’t even get close. That also means nothing now because they all get in anyways.

It feels like there’s no consequence to anything now. There’s no sense of competition and when you remove competition from a game you remove meaning from it. You’re left with nothing but a sanitised product where no one actually loses.

Feck the Glazers, feck Woodward, feck this.

groovyalbert

it's a mute point
I'd be fuming if I was working for the PL or Sky/BT.

Title is all but done. Relegation looks settled. Only thing going is the top 4 race, and now the "Top 6" have completely taken away its meaning as things stand.

Zaphod2319

Supports
Chelsea
If we win today we move to third place. If there are penalties for this Super League drama, at least it happens when we are in the top 4. After that it is hard to get excited about today's match against Brighton. Normally I would be both buzzing and nervous all day...now just meh.

cyberman

Open her up again boys. At least we can celebrate Liverpool dropping 2 points

Enigma_87

You know who
On again.. back to laughing at Liverpool..
Surely there should be sanctions to all 6. It's a fecking coup they tried to pull. And I don't mean docking them some points but a proper relegation to slug it out next year.

Irwin99

Surely there should be sanctions to all 6. It's a fecking coup they tried to pull. And I don't mean docking them some points but a proper relegation to slug it out next year.
Wouldn't be fair on the players/managers or fans but a 20-30 points deduction would be a good lesson and allow 4 new teams in the CL if only for a season. I doubt any real punishment will happen though.

prateik

I'd be totally fine if that were to happen.. but I dont think it will.
No one said anything about leaving the league and UEFA will just be glad to have them back..

vodrake

Liverpool players must be fuming. The ESL stuff surely must have affected their motivation to push for top 4 last night, at least in some small way, and then it basically gets dropped the day after the match.

Enigma_87

You know who
Wouldn't be fair on the players/managers or fans but a 20-30 points deduction would be a good lesson and allow 4 new teams in the CL if only for a season. I doubt any real punishment will happen though.
It would be a total shame if there isn't serious measures towards those 12 clubs. This is something that has been plotted and prepared for years. Not to mention the nerves of those guys to come forward with it in the midst of a global pandemic. A simple slap on the wrist is total bullshit and will prove once again how weak are UEFA/PL towards the cash cows. Players/managers are associated with the club and will bear the consequences. It's easy to collect tens of millions when the whole world struggles. When the owners of the club drag the image of the game through the mud players and managers are collateral damage.

I'd be totally fine if that were to happen.. but I dont think it will.
No one said anything about leaving the league and UEFA will just be glad to have them back..
For me this is really huge. It's bigger than Calciopoli and goes against the spirit of the game. Simple pardon and couple of axed CEO's doesn't cut it.

Lee565

The irony being if that was to happen the championship would be bigger deal than the premier league for a season

Enigma_87

You know who
The irony being if that was to happen the championship would be bigger deal than the premier league for a season
That won’t be too bad and some minions will get a bit more exposure. Just like Juve in Serie B.

mu4c_20le

Suddenly feels like nobody wants top 4 anymore. Hammers must be thrilled their feck up didn't cost too much

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
We reach that annual part of the season where it's 'no after you' when no one wants the top 4 spot :lol:

11 points clear of 5th now for us, guess we still need to beat Leeds to make sure though eh lads ;)

Traub

So do we only need 8 points from our last 6 games to guarantee top 4