Television Top Boy

Badunk

Shares his caf joinday with Dante
F'real, blud! Nuff redcafe mans dem tink *** is da badman, innit? *** dont know da streetz like we do, ya get me?

Pussies!

Verified Bird Expert
Scout
Like no one knew the not very frightening cockney gang boss was going to get killed.

Ane the Irish geezer, touch of 'the long good friday', wasn't very convincing either.

I'll just stay indoors after dark though, it's safer.

Eugenius

Anyone else watching this? Excellent television gritty without being patronising and love the dry humour in places

Pscholes18

Just found this show on Netflix. Finished the first season....I thought it was pretty good....anyone else take a liking? This is the second British series Ive found that Ive really enjoyed, Peaky Blinders being the other....any other UK shows worth checking out?

Heardy

Random bump, but watched this a few months ago.

Thought it was very very good, amazed it was cut. The ending to season 2 clearly expected that a third season would follow?

Sweet Square

Random bump, but watched this a few months ago.

Thought it was very very good, amazed it was cut. The ending to season 2 clearly expected that a third season would follow?
Seems that way - http://www.digitalspy.com/tv/news/a...series-3-on-channel-4-ashley-walters-reveals/

''We had a third series in mind, which is why the second was left the way it was, but it hasn't been commissioned again. I was quite disappointed to be honest, but it's just the nature of the beast sometimes."

limerickcitykid

There once was a kid from Toronto...
There was all that talk of Drake reviving it but I think he actually wanted to make an American version instead of bringing back the original. Asher D also said something about some of the characters being in another show he was working on but don't know what has come of that.

Santos J

Excellent news :drool:

The production was financed by Drake wasn't it? Or at least he had interest in putting some money up to get another season of it.
Yeah he's exec producer and seems like it's back 'cos of him pretty much.

villain

Hates Beyoncé
Yeah he's exec producer and seems like it's back 'cos of him pretty much.
That's what I thought, I remember him talking about it last year around the Brit Awards/Shutdown era for Skepta.

It's a good investment by him too, i'm sure this will be a hit on Netflix when its out.

Santos J

That's what I thought, I remember him talking about it last year around the Brit Awards/Shutdown era for Skepta.

It's a good investment by him too, i'm sure this will be a hit on Netflix when its out.
Yeah even years ago when he first jumped on the UK rap/grime stuff he mentioned it, back in like 2013/14 or something. Should be big though yeah, especially as a Netflix original.

Sweet Square

I'm sure most here have already seen it but if not

Bullet Boy

is worth watching, very similar to Top Boy (Even stars Ashley Walters) and putting influenced a ton of films that came after(Although Bullet Boy is really the only good one). Also Massive Attack did the soundtrack

JoaquinJoaquin

I'm sure most here have already seen it but if not

Bullet Boy

is worth watching, very similar to Top Boy (Even stars Ashley Walters) and putting influenced a ton of films that came after(Although Bullet Boy is really the only good one). Also Massive Attack did the soundtrack
Excellent film that. There was another one that was great to, Kidulthood I think it was called.

Santos J

Excellent film that. There was another one that was great to, Kidulthood I think it was called.
There's Adulthood too if you've not seen it, and Brotherhood which is recent but not seen that so dunno what it's like.

JoaquinJoaquin

There's Adulthood too if you've not seen it, and Brotherhood which is recent but not seen that so dunno what it's like.
I've seen Adulthood but didn't know there was another one after that. I'll check it out. Thanks for letting me know.

Badunk

Shares his caf joinday with Dante

Dave and Little Simz are among the new faces joining Top Boy for its latest series, which is expected on Netflix this autumn.

Ashley Walters and Kane 'Kano' Robinson are back as Dushane and Sully in the gritty east London crime drama.

Series three will be executive-produced by Drake, who revealed the trailer for the first time ahead of his show at the O2 Arena in London on Monday night.

Drake purchased the rights to Top Boy after it was cancelled by Channel 4.

The show built up an international audience when its first two series were put on Netflix - leading to interest from the Canadian rapper.

Netflix announced it was reviving the show for a third series in 2017, but this is the first glimpse we've had of what's been going on in the Summerhouse estate in Hackney since series two ended in 2013.

The trailer for the cast announcement is narrated by Little Simz, real name Simbi Ajikawo, and features a balaclava-clad David Omoregie, aka rapper Dave.

Tolani Shoneye, who along with Janak Jani had the idea for the trailer, was at the Drake show when the video was shown.

"It took 20 minutes before I could start enjoying the concert and not feel like 'Oh my God, that really just happened,'" she said.

Tolani, a writer who's one third of The Receipts podcast, said Little Simz's narration was something she was "fighting for".

"Being a fan of Top Boy for years and also being a woman, I want it to be like Top Boy is not just a gendered thing. It's a thing of, you can be a part of that world, be a 'top boy' yourself, but not necessarily do what they're doing.

"If you listen to the words in it it's like 'Yeah I know the world - but it's mad, I'm aiming to be better than this.'"

Series three, which will run for 10 episodes, picks up with Dushane and Sully - the former top boys of the estate - returning from exile and prison respectively.

They find Summerhouse being run by Jamie, played by Micheal Ward - the "young, hungry, ruthless gang leader" who's taken over where Dushane and Sully left off.

Expect drama. As Little Simz says in the trailer: "Everyone wants to be a top boy."

The show's creator and writer Ronan Bennett says seeing a 10-year-old selling drugs outside his local supermarket 10 years ago is what led to Top Boy being made.

"It made me question what was going on in my own community."

Ashley Walters calls the show a "raw, real representation of street culture" - and one that gives an insight into "what's happening on our streets today".

"It needs to be talked about and the show doesn't shy away from giving us the platform to tell our story," he said.

"We can't change things if we do not acknowledge it and understand it first. Netflix is the perfect platform for this show, there aren't many networks who would be brave enough to keep it this real."

Tolani, who hasn't had any involvement in the show beyond writing for the trailer, wants to see "elevation of all of the characters" in the new series.

"Eventually things have to change," she says.