Film Top Gun: Maverick

Balljy

Prediction, Maverick dies to save his wingman in the next one and end the trilogy

Simbo

Ugh, guess it made too much money to not make another.

Zen

Prediction, Maverick dies to save his wingman in the next one and end the trilogy
So the same prediction everyone made for the sequel then.... am I too early for saying it's too obvious that it actually shouldn't happen, it should of happened in Maverick, everything was built towards it too. What's the point now :lol:

RedNome

Cnut Rating: 9 (Conservative)
I grew up in an air force family, was absolutely obsessed with planes as a kid, therefore you can absolutely inject this shit into my veins, the more the merrier.

Mike Smalling

They've fecked it. The last one was great, partly because of the nostalgia and the multi-decade wait for a sequel. If they are just gonna pump out another one every 2-3 years, it will lose that magic. I thought Cruise was smarter than that.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
They've fecked it. The last one was great, partly because of the nostalgia and the multi-decade wait for a sequel. If they are just gonna pump out another one every 2-3 years, it will lose that magic. I thought Cruise was smarter than that.
All of the above has already happened with Mission Impossible. So we know for a fact that Cruise isn't smarter than that.

Mike Smalling

All of the above has already happened with Mission Impossible. So we know for a fact that Cruise isn't smarter than that.
That's just plainly untrue. There was never more than six years between releases of Mission Impossible movies, while Top Gun: Maverick came 36 years after the first. And this may just be a personal opinion, but Mission Impossible has never had the kind of nostalgia and cultural significance (for lack of a better term) related to it that the first Top Gun had. It's just a run-of-the-mill action franchise.

buchansleftleg

My Prediction....we have a "Somehow....Goose returned!" moment and Anthony Edwards plays a disfigured and bitter Goose...forced to work as an orderly in a chicago Hospital for years. He sets out to destroy Maverick's reputation by replacing his Motorbike with a Puch Maxi Moped and his P51 Mustang for a Brewster Buffalo.

The ensuing series of crashes mean that Mav is invalided out of the airforce and has to resort to dropping fire retardant for the Wyoming forestry service.

Meanwhile a shadowy Russian Oligarch plots to overthrow American government and decides to land his paratroopers in....hand hovers over Wyoming on map...

Cue Titles "Top Gun III - Fire Down Below"

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
It'll be about an experimental craft that Mav is wanting to fly, but Penny is worried he'll die if he does (and he's got a bad heart now or something). Ultimately he'll have to decide what's more important to him; flying or love. Rooster and the other one compete over some random shite for a while before realising that team work will help them stop the evil unnamed enemy nation from attacking a gaggle of geese in the Indian Ocean.

Salt Bailly

Auburn, not Ginger.
Top Gun Maverick: Flight of the Undead Goose takes the action to absurd heights as Maverick discovers his long-lost father, who was thought to be missing in action, is actually alive and well—well, sort of. Maverick's dad, a former top gun instructor turned eccentric scientist, has been busy perfecting a bizarre experiment: reanimating deceased geese.

In an unexpected twist, Goose, Maverick's loyal wingman who tragically died in the first film, is brought back to life as a witty, feathered sidekick. The dynamic duo embarks on a high-flying adventure, facing not only aerial combat but also the challenges of Goose adapting to his new, feathery existence.

As Maverick tries to reconcile with his undead father and navigate the skies with a goose copilot, they find themselves entangled in a Cold War conspiracy involving rogue nations and their weaponized wildlife. With Maverick's rebellious spirit and Goose's newfound abilities, they attempt to save the world while maintaining their unconventional father-son-bird bond. "Top Gun Maverick: Flight of the Undead Goose" is a laughably outrageous sequel that defies gravity, logic, and the expectations of Top Gun fans everywhere.

AI truly has evolved beyond our wildest expectations.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
That's just plainly untrue. There was never more than six years between releases of Mission Impossible movies, while Top Gun: Maverick came 36 years after the first. And this may just be a personal opinion, but Mission Impossible has never had the kind of nostalgia and cultural significance (for lack of a better term) related to it that the first Top Gun had. It's just a run-of-the-mill action franchise.
It's the same thing. Repurpose IP from an established concept, first broadcast decades ago, that people remember fondly. Then milk the feck out of it with loads of sequels. He's already done this once, so...

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
It's the same thing. Repurpose IP from an established concept, first broadcast decades ago, that people remember fondly. Then milk the feck out of it with loads of sequels. He's already done this once, so...
With the exception of the most recent entry into MI franchise, qualitatively the iterations improved upon the previous ones, sometimes considerably. It would have to take something otherworldly to improve upon Maverick to wow the audiences like it did vs. the original. I just can’t see how that would happen.

But, it is Tom Cruise. If there was someone to do so, it’s him.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
With the exception of the most recent entry into MI franchise, qualitatively the iterations improved upon the previous ones, sometimes considerably. It would have to take something otherworldly to improve upon Maverick to wow the audiences like it did vs. the original. I just can’t see how that would happen.

But, it is Tom Cruise. If there was someone to do so, it’s him.
You can see why it appeals to him as a franchise. After smashing his ankle up during the last MI he surely realises he can't keep doing all that running and jumping into his 60s/70s. But no reason he can't sit in a cockpit and look resolute.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
You can see why it appeals to him as a franchise. After smashing his ankle up during the last MI he surely realises he can't keep doing all that running and jumping into his 60s/70s. But no reason he can't sit in a cockpit and look resolute.
Yep.

At least he had the presence of mind to keep running / hobbling til the end of the scene which ended up being the one used in the film!

Mike Smalling

No it's not. The special thing about Top Gun: Maverick was that it was a complete revival of something from the 80's that had built up kind of a cult status as a film. It's not nearly the same as a franchise that's been pumping it out consistently for almost 30 years. That's why it had box office numbers three times as high as the Mission Impossible movie that also came out in 2023. If they make a Top Gun franchise with frequent releases it will be diminished with every movie, because it loses it's novelty and because they will inevitably drop in quality as they run out of ideas for stories to tell.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
No it's not. The special thing about Top Gun: Maverick was that it was a complete revival of something from the 80's that had built up kind of a cult status as a film. It's not nearly the same as a franchise that's been pumping it out consistently for almost 30 years. That's why it had box office numbers three times as high as the Mission Impossible movie that also came out in 2023. If they make a Top Gun franchise with frequent releases it will be diminished with every movie, because it loses it's novelty and because they will inevitably drop in quality as they run out of ideas for stories to tell.
You seem to be misunderstanding my point. The first Mission Impossible movie was a rehash of a decades old franchise, 30 years after it was last on screen. Top Gun 2 is basically the same as that first MI movie, they're monetising nostalgia. Obviously, they've been spewing out MI movies on a regular basis since 1996 but I don't see any reason for Tom Cruise not wanting to do the same with Top Gun. He's done it already with Mission Impossible and the studios know how much they can bank from this approach. Nobody gives a feck about diminishing quality if the punters keep turning up.

Last edited:

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
Let’s be fair to the nutty bastard, sitting in that cockpit was no mean feat. They obviously weren’t actually piloting but they were still pulling several G being thrown around in an F-18 (if that’s the right jet?) which is pretty bonkers.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
Let’s be fair to the nutty bastard, sitting in that cockpit was no mean feat. They obviously weren’t actually piloting but they were still pulling several G being thrown around in an F-18 (if that’s the right jet?) which is pretty bonkers.
Speaking as someone who is approaching the same age as Mr Cruise, I reckon I'll be able to sit down on a chair and pretend I'm squeezing out a shite for a lot longer than I'll be able to jump off buildings.

Mike Smalling

You seem to be misunderstanding my point. The first Mission Impossible movie was a rehash of a decades old franchise, 30 years after it was last on screen. Top Gun 2 is basically the same as that first MI movie, they're monetising nostalgia. Obviously, they've been spewing out MI movies on a regular basis since 1996 but I don't see any reason for Tom Cruise not wanting to do the same with Top Gun. He's done it already with Mission Impossible and the studios know how much they can bank from this approach. Nobody gives a feck about diminishing quality if the punters keep turning up.
You're right. I actually had no idea that there was a 60's Mission Impossible TV series. There you go - everything is a remake.

But then I'd say the key difference is that Tom Cruise was actually involved in the first Top Gun, which he obviously wasn't for Mission Impossible. In Top Gun: Maverick they could build on the story and the character in a meaningful way, even given the large time gap. And my original point that "they fecked it" was not about the money they will make. Like you say, they will probably continue to make plenty of cash, like a lot of other dumb franchises do, and Cruise and the studios will be chuffed to bits. It was more meant in the sense that they will turn something that is somewhat special, into something that will quickly become very generic.

RedNome

Cnut Rating: 9 (Conservative)
Us aviation fans don't get much love from cinema, hardly any great films about fast planes over the years, let us have our corner, Maverick was great popcorn fair and has earned the right to a third, if they feck it so be it but they should certainly have a crack.

Stop being so fecking miserable Pogue :D

Murder on Zidane's Floor

You'd better not kill Giroud
Saw this in the cinema again last week back to back with Top Gun, was an absolute treat.

The first has aged really well.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
Speaking as someone who is approaching the same age as Mr Cruise, I reckon I'll be able to sit down on a chair and pretend I'm squeezing out a shite for a lot longer than I'll be able to jump off buildings.
Maybe, but going up in an actual F-18 (I’m just going with it now) is physically gruelling and for a more sustained timeframe.

It’s absolutely not “just sitting there”.

Murder on Zidane's Floor

You'd better not kill Giroud
My Prediction....we have a "Somehow....Goose returned!" moment and Anthony Edwards plays a disfigured and bitter Goose...forced to work as an orderly in a chicago Hospital for years. He sets out to destroy Maverick's reputation by replacing his Motorbike with a Puch Maxi Moped and his P51 Mustang for a Brewster Buffalo.

The ensuing series of crashes mean that Mav is invalided out of the airforce and has to resort to dropping fire retardant for the Wyoming forestry service.

Meanwhile a shadowy Russian Oligarch plots to overthrow American government and decides to land his paratroopers in....hand hovers over Wyoming on map...

Cue Titles "Top Gun III - Fire Down Below"
Amazing :lol:

M15 Red.

Looking at how realistic CGI Indy looked, I think this latest Top Gun instalment could be a prequel to the sequel. Set in the year 2002, it will feature Afroman seeking some musical advice from Maverick.

At the time, Afroman is still riding relatively high from the success of his 2000 stoner hit, Because I Got High, and thinks he owns the world. Subsequent songs don't quite live up to his previous success, however, and he begins to doubt his entire approach to tunesmithery. So he sits down with Mav, and opens up to him about his plan to record an album of pure Scientology Funk.

Over the next 2 hours, and with the aid of a rather relaxing bag of skunk that Afro's brought with him, Mav explains that a life without Scientology Funk, is like a life without Goose. Or an F-14. Or a Penis. It is simply no life at all.

Mav finally leaves Afro with 2 options. Either dig your heels in, hold your nerve, and trust in your own ability to record beautiful music. Or walk away with your Afro held high, and let the vampiric ghouls of the music business feast on another mans veins.

We're left with no solid clues which option Afro chooses. But the end credits do show what appears to be a slightly older version of Afroman working in a Birmingham branch of Superdrug circa 2008. So probably option B.

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports
The only team that matters
Of course Top Gun 3, 4, 5 and 6 could be prequels to Maverick

Tom Crusie in Gulf War 1, Gulf War 2, Afghanistan and the fight against ISIS

Berbaclass

Fallen Muppet. Lest we never forget
Just watched this and it was okay but I’m really annoyed they didn’t use “You’ve lost that loving feeling” for the ending instead of that crap Gaga song. Thought it sounded really odd.

buchansleftleg

I can’t wait for Top Gun: Stealth. Imagine all the possibilities
"Maverick - Bogey 60 miles out....Juke right!" Maverick goes in slow arching turn to not increase RCS and escapes radar detection.

"Maverick target installation 80 miles out - straight ahead!" Maverick opens bay doors - "Magnum - On track" fires Harm AGM-88G at target from range and adopts stand off position waiting for missile to strike.

Edge of seat stuff!