Film Top Gun: Maverick

CassiusClaymore

Is it Gaizka Mendieta?
Scout
Supports
The greatest team in history
13 pages on this? Was an excellent big screen movie, no more, no less.

Obviously poors that can't afford a cinema ticket won't enjoy as much on their 26" Tesco Home brand TV.

bite

Last edited:

Rooney in Paris

Gerrard shirt..Anfield? You'll Never Live it Down
Scout
Yeah the latter M:i action scenes (the ones where Tom Cruise genuinely thinks he’s an unkillable space prince who needs to keep testing it) are a lot better… partly cos they’re more than just “guys, they’re actually in this cockpit! THEYRE ACTUALLY IN THIS COCKPIT GUYS!! which… cool… but, I’ve seen that now.

Still, none of them have ever been as actually good as De Palma’s first one. The really sweaty one. He isn’t actually on the Eurostar at the end , but it’s much more fun.

:lol:

Half in jest, but I genuinely think Avatar 2 is more of a spectacle than Space Prince Flying Fast Planes

And yup, the first MI is the best of the series. Great spy/action film. And Ving Rhames was still fully mobile back then!
Did you watch it in the cinema? If not, it was a great experience in the cinema and lots of people went exactly for that reason.
Yep, saw it at the cinema in the most perfect conditions.

SalfordRed18

Netflix and avocado, no chill
Supports
Ashwood City FC
Only just got round watching this. Shockingly good film.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
I've almost totally forgotten it and what happened. Even more forgettable than the original and nowhere near as much fun.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
It's a decent watch. Tom Cruise knows how to get the job done.

But I prefer the original.

Objectively better film than the first but nowhere near as special.

The flying scenes are spectacular and as good a cinema experience as you'll ever find.

Dumbstar

We got another woman hater here.
Supports
Liverpool
Was never really a big fan of the original, though obviously enjoyed it at the time. Maverick brought back good childhood memories but more importantly it's a great standalone film. I would recommend people (youngsters) to watch it for a thrill.

As @VorZakone perfectly captured it: Cruise gets things done right.

Sylar

It's better than the original for me. (Looks like for a few others too)

I did find it funny how the villain country renamed nameless iirc.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons

The flying scenes are spectacular and as good a cinema experience as you'll ever find.
Only if you really really like fighter jets. For the rest of us it’s kind of cool but not all that special. And those scenes are, by far, the best scenes in the whole movie.

Last edited:

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member

Agree.

Having the IMAX cameras on the actors as they were actually pulling multiple Gs lent itself to total authenticity. There was never a passage of film in a cockpit that wasn't being affected by the elements.

Donaldo

Caf Vigilante
Supports
Arsenal
The lack of any sort of threat in the 'mission' was a bit of a wet blanket. Felt like a video game where you knew noone was going to die.

Other than that, pretty solid film. Not great, just good.

Zen

Yeah I can get on that - because I was pretty sure Maverick was dying from the trailers up until the moment where the danger presented itself.... he was in the jet with the one character who was absolutely definitely not dying. So even him surviving wasn't much of surprise either. What a damp squib.

Rooney in Paris

Gerrard shirt..Anfield? You'll Never Live it Down
Scout
A big Downton Abbey: A New Era fan are we?!
So many plot twists with that one!!

No but I pulled my previous post out of thin air cos I obviously didn't remember what came out that month, and just believe Maverick to be utter mediocrity, but I've checked since then and stand by it.

Though not necessarily because of Downton Abbey.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Yeah I can get on that - because I was pretty sure Maverick was dying from the trailers up until the moment where the danger presented itself.... he was in the jet with the one character who was absolutely definitely not dying. So even him surviving wasn't much of surprise either. What a damp squib.
It was such a massive cop out too, considering one of the most memorable moments of the original Top Gun was killing off one of the main characters. This time round the test audience would obviously only allow them kill some completely peripheral randomer, who nobody would remember after the film (what was his name anyway?)

Spoony

The People's President
Was a Kenny Loggins away from a good shit film. The jet scenes were great but everything else....

Alex99

Rehab's Pete Doherty
Asked my dad if he'd seen this and certainly wasn't expecting the rant about it being a shiny 633 Squadron that followed.

DickDastardly

Watched it in 4dx IMAX with all the rocking chair water splashing wind blowing crap.

Best cinema experience of a life time.

Only downside is there wasn't many sex scenes would love to have Tom's jizz on my face even if it was only water effects.

Salt Bailly

Auburn, not Ginger.
It was always going to happen given the box office return. Definitely seeing the next one on IMAX, missed out last time.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
Awesome, I hope they go the Fast and Furious road and Tom stars in Top Gun 13 when he's 91.