Film Top Gun: Maverick

Stookie

Nurse bell end
I haven’t seen the first one yet but I’m Off to see Maverick this Thursday at a little old traditional cinema near me. They still have the half time interval where the lady comes down to the front with the ice creams and a torch! And you can get a brew whilst your watching a film. They also still have an organ player I think.

dinostar77

it’s on the nose alright. Still, though, it fails at so many of the basics you’d want from a good movie. A lot of the dialogue and acting is laughably bad. Even if you assume it’s deliberately hammed up.
You seem to be the outlier on here as the majority enjoyed it. But keep your regular criticisms up. #So Boring.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
You seem to be the outlier on here as the majority enjoyed it. But keep your regular criticisms up. #So Boring.
A hashtag. Cute. Do you always use them to defend your favourite films from mean people who don’t have the same opinion as you?

It’s just not a great movie. Expect more criticism to come as more people watch it. Hope you cope.

dinostar77

A hashtag. Cute. Do you always use them to defend your favourite films from mean people who don’t have the same opinion as you?

It’s just not a great movie. Expect more criticism to come as more people watch it. Hope you cope.
I apologise for being harsh. Lack of sleep (kids).

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
I apologise for being harsh. Lack of sleep (kids).
Oh man. Kiddie sleep deprivation is the worst. Apologies for being snide right back at someone who’s already got enough on their plate!

It’s a funny one. If I went in with no expectations I would probably be raving about how much better it was than I thought it would be. I made the mistake of reading one or two critics reviews, who were going nuts about it. So expected more than it could realistically be. If you park your expectations (and your brain) at the door and watch on a massive screen then it’s a fun night out. Beats the hell out of staying home with the kids anyway!

CassiusClaymore

Is it Gaizka Mendieta?
Scout
Supports
The greatest team in history
Oh it is objectively cheesy. Any time they're not in a plane is eye rollingly bad. All the call sign stuff and that initial meet up in the bar was toe curling. But it is an excellent cinematic spectacle and deserves the price of a ticket imo.

RacingClub

Supports
Racing Club
I have the option of seeing this in a 4D screen, should I go with that? Or a normal 2D screening?

(there will be no visual effects in the 4D screening but the seats will shake + fans and smoke machine etc)

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
I have the option of seeing this in a 4D screen, should I go with that? Or a normal 2D screening?

(there will be no visual effects in the 4D screening but the seats will shake + fans and smoke machine etc)
That sounds dreadful

RacingClub

Supports
Racing Club
That sounds dreadful
I seen "Suicide squad" in it a couple of years ago and it elevated a really crap movie.

I thought it may be a bit fun for the Flight scenes.

I wouldnt see "The French Dispatch" in 4D for example but wondered if it would be fun for this.

Withnail

You're missing out then, the last 2 Mission Impossible flicks were fecking brilliant.
He’s a total weirdo and Scientology is a collection of scamming cnuts but he’s a great actor and makes really good movies.
Yeah, I hear you both but I can't get immersed in his films anymore. He's just Tom Cruise running around being Tom Cruise, with his stupid grin. I'm fully aware this is a 'me problem' . I just can't stand the sight of him.

Rake

Saw it today and absolutely loved it. Has and old school vibe + modern visual goodness. IMAX experience was great.

Simbo

Just found out who the character Jen Connelly was playing is, awesome touch.

utdalltheway

Sexy Beast
Edit; I just watched that clip on YouTube. I figured that was the same lady.
The original was my son’s fav movie so I’ve seen it plenty of times.
Now Maverick is his fav.

GazTheLegend

I think I’ve only ever seen her in one film.
She's in the Netflix adaptation of Snowpiercer too, and probably deserves an award for that show alone, she's fantastic in it. And Maverick too of course, every bit the match for T.C. in every scene they're in.

GazTheLegend

Yeah, I hear you both but I can't get immersed in his films anymore. He's just Tom Cruise running around being Tom Cruise, with his stupid grin. I'm fully aware this is a 'me problem' . I just can't stand the sight of him.
I get it and all but the way he puts EVERYTHING into his roles now, puts his body on the line, and his attitude to covid has made me more than sympathetic towards him, and his scene with Val Kilmer is incredibly touching given what that guy has been through. So I've come full circle on Cruise personally, despite my misgivings.

UnrelatedPsuedo

I pity the poor fool who stinks like I do!
it’s on the nose alright. Still, though, it fails at so many of the basics you’d want from a good movie. A lot of the dialogue and acting is laughably bad. Even if you assume it’s deliberately hammed up.
I just don’t think so. I didn’t expect what you did, clearly. I don’t expect certain things from Titanic, Avatar, or Aliens. You know what you’re going in for.

Beans

Supports
Neutral
Yup. Absolute bellend. But the best action hero - movie star of all time. No competition.
Top 5 all time action movie stars?

1. Tom Cruise
2. Arnold Schwarzenegger
3. Dwayne Johnson (might end up #1 by the time he's done)
4. Bruce Willis
5. Sly Stallone

?

UnrelatedPsuedo

Top 5 all time action movie stars?

1. Tom Cruise
2. Arnold Schwarzenegger
3. Dwayne Johnson (might end up #1 by the time he's done)
4. Bruce Willis
5. Sly Stallone

?
The Rock?!?!? He’s not top 100. Can’t act. Empty husk of a front man.

Other 4 can act. He can’t. At all.

Darkhorsez

Went with the mrs to see this. We hadn’t been to a movie in ages. It was a fun watch. You need to have seen the first one to follow some of the action. For me it was not as good as the first one but my wife enjoyed it a lot and it was a nice night out.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
I just don’t think so. I didn’t expect what you did, clearly. I don’t expect certain things from Titanic, Avatar, or Aliens. You know what you’re going in for.
I think Mad Max raised the bar for balls out action movies. When I saw all the five star reviews for this I was expecting something similarity revelatory. And was disappointed at how formulaic it seemed. Similar ratios of excitement to corny exposition as every other action movie ever. With queasy amounts of gung ho “merka feck yeah” throughout.

UnrelatedPsuedo

I think Mad Max raised the bar for balls out action movies. When I saw all the five star reviews for this I was expecting something similarity revelatory. And was disappointed at how formulaic it seemed. Similar ratios of excitement to corny exposition as every other action movie ever. With queasy amounts of gung ho “merka feck yeah” throughout.
It’s not as good as Fury Road.

But it’s ‘more better’ than Top Gun, than Fury Road is than Mad Max I think.

Shite metric. But valid. It’s a beautiful movie. So technically brilliant.

lsd

The Oracle
Seems it is very much a nostalgia thing. Knowing how Hollywood works this might be good if they look to cater more to the older market now as a result of this.

RedDevilQuebecois

I think I’ve only ever seen her in one film.
The first connection I made with her filmography was when I watched The Rocketeer (really good Disney live-action adventure movie) in the early 1990s. Of course I saw her in a number of other movies as I grew older, especially Requiem for a Dream, Blood Diamond and her award-winning performance in A Beautiful Mind. I also noticed that she made her acting debut as the younger version of one of the main characters in Sergio Leone's Once Upon a Time in America when the movie came out all the way back in 1984. Wherever she appears in a movie or in a TV series, she is one of those very few actors who will aways have a presence.

dinostar77

Top Gun Maverick has given Tom Cruise his first ever $100mil opening weekend.

The biggest opening weekend for a non superhero movie in post covid era.

Source: BBC News