Film Top Gun: Maverick

Man of Leisure

Threatened by women who like sex.
Don't really see how that tones it down, but it was very strange to make it a nameless baddie. It feeds into the lack of jeopardy and threat that is an issue for the film, in fact.
:confused: Clearly it’s about not wanting to piss anyone off and be able to show the film in places like China

Dante

Average bang
Fair shout, he's done a few action films, though not as exclusively as some others on that list. John Wick has been a big boost to that action resume.
The John Wick franchise, the Matrix franchise and Speed are some of the defining action films of the last couple of decades. He's massively underrated, imo.

Jippy

Sleeps with tramps, bangs jacuzzis, dirty shoes
Staff
It’s behind a paywall, what are the two eyebrow raising moments?
:lol:Did you like the suspense?

One was the sequence where Maverick takes off on a very short runway in an F-14 Tomcat. “Having flown a swing-wing fighter myself, that was totally unbelievable."
The other element was the combat formation. In actuality, fighter jets in enemy airspace tend to fly far apart. This means they’re harder to hit and they can spot hostile planes more easily – techniques first honed by Spitfire pilots during the Battle of Britain. But characters flying miles apart, spending most of their time squinting into blue nothingness, doesn’t make for thrilling viewing, so in Top Gun: Maverick the squadron is usually tightly bunched.

Beans

Supports
Neutral
The John Wick franchise, the Matrix franchise and Speed are some of the defining action films of the last couple of decades. He's massively underrated, imo.
I can't agree about Speed, we mostly made fun of that one in the 90s. I couldn't think of anything besides Speed myself to add to The Matrix movies and John Wick, i don't think he's an action star in the way The Rock is, did a lot of drama, date movies, more like Tom Cruise.

Scarlett Dracarys

( . Y . )
I can't agree about Speed, we mostly made fun of that one in the 90s. I couldn't think of anything besides Speed myself to add to The Matrix movies and John Wick, i don't think he's an action star in the way The Rock is, did a lot of drama, date movies, more like Tom Cruise.
The Rock is like Wednesday and I think his worth dropped significantly when he decided to enter the Fast and Furious world. Keanu does not need anything other than John Wick. That is enough to solidify him as a legit action hero.

Sweet Square

The first matrix is a perfect movie but the star of it is Laurence Fishburne. Speed is great fun but it’s down to Denis Hopper and the best John Wick film stars Charlize Theron.

Keanu Reeves seems like a cool guy but isn’t anywhere near the like of Arnie, Cruise or Chow Yun-fat.

Beans

Supports
Neutral
The Rock is like Wednesday and I think his worth dropped significantly when he decided to enter the Fast and Furious world. Keanu does not need anything other than John Wick. That is enough to solidify him as a legit action hero.
Johnson brings the audiences, his movies seem to be pretty consistent winners as far as making money. In the action game that's all that really matters, even if a few bad action films might squeak through as successes for whatever reason.

Keanu is an action hero, but it's he top 5? Not for me.

Scarlett Dracarys

( . Y . )
Johnson brings the audiences, his movies seem to be pretty consistent winners as far as making money. In the action game that's all that really matters, even if a few bad action films might squeak through as successes for whatever reason.

Who would you consider top 5?
I like him because he's believable and not too over the top.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
Speed is brilliant!

Scarlett Dracarys

( . Y . )
Top 5 all time action movie stars?

1. Tom Cruise
2. Arnold Schwarzenegger
3. Dwayne Johnson (might end up #1 by the time he's done)
4. Bruce Willis
5. Sly Stallone

?
Dante quoted my top 5 list and replied with "Keanu".
You see I like when my action heroes are also capable of forming sentences. It's all preference I guess.
I'd throw Matt Damon in there along with Chris Hemsworth. I'd keep Tom, Bruce and Stallone. Daniel craig and Pierce are also a good shouts. I'm not all just about a muscled up gun toting guy. That's pretty much what action heroes are supposed to be but I like mine with some character.

GazTheLegend

@Beans Dwayne Johnson isn't even top 10. I'd have:
  1. Arnie
  2. Tom Cruise
  3. Sylvester Stallone
  4. Jackie Chan
  5. Jean Claude van Damme
  6. Bruce Willis
  7. Nicholas Cage
  8. Sean Connery (is it debateable that he's an action movie star, I wonder?)
  9. Mel Gibson
  10. Keanu Reeves
The best modern one might be Jason Statham, I guess (based on Crank, The One etc), maybe Jet Li gets a shout instead, but I can think of maybe 3-4 films for each of those actors that they've carried harder than Dwayne "the Rock" Johnson ever did.

And as to @Pogue Mahone the best thing that Maverick has going for it - and the reason that everyone needs to go see it - is because it's voting with your wallet to go back the hell away from boring CGI atrocicities. As Scorsese said, Marvel Movies are not cinema. And Mad Max Fury Road was FANTASTIC, speaking in modern terms - I loved it for the practical effects, lore, characters, and general storyline, but I can think of quite a few 90's films that smoke it, and that's sort of the point I think - there used to be a movie better than TG:Maverick come out every single year, and we've just not seen one since... I can remember. Practical effects, character driven plot (I don't care if you say it's simple, it did surprise me a few times), and it took itself seriously for once - unlike seemingly every other blockbuster of the last decade which are endlessly 4th wall breaking, and somehow smug about themselves - like endless Deadpool clones.

MoskvaRed

He still can’t act. I’ve seen cabinets in IKEA with more emotional range.
When they were casting Peaky Blinders, they were thinking of Statham as the lead role as Cillian Murphy was not seen as your typical hardman. Murphy’s response was “remember, I’m an actor”.

lsd

The Oracle

John Wick,Speed and people seemed to like The Matrix films for some reason so that puts him there.

As for the Rock let's be honest just by him raising good eyebrow that makes him more talented than Arnie ever was.

Obviously this board is run by Arnie's number one fan club so not expecting anyone to agree with just how absolutely crap Arnie was

RacingClub

Supports
Racing Club
I really enjoyed it, was it cheesy? Yes.

Was I expecting for the sequel to Top Gun to be in any way serious? No.

My only complaint is the music choices , they should have went all in with the nostalgia fest because none of the new songs felt memorable

Really enjoyable movie experience.*

*And I say that as a self aware pompous
Wes Anderson fan boy arsehole.

Roane

John Wick,Speed and people seemed to like The Matrix films for some reason so that puts him there.

As for the Rock let's be honest just by him raising good eyebrow that makes him more talented than Arnie ever was.

Obviously this board is run by Arnie's number one fan club so not expecting anyone to agree with just how absolutely crap Arnie was

People always miss out Street Kings when speaking of Keanu movies.

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
Just back from the cinema in a year or so, what a fecking movie!!

I liked the first one, but this one was much better, action is great, I would say it's easily one of the best movies I've seen.

Crowd who think the likes of Licorice pizza, Jo-jo rabbit are masterpiece won't like it though, who would have thought?

Bilbo

TeaBaggins
Just got back from IMAX and I enjoyed the sh*t out of this, and I've never been a fan of the first one. There are elements to the movie that you could look back on and find fault in, but what would be the point of that?*

It's not arthouse, it's popcorn entertainment and it was probably one of the finest experiences I've ever had in the cinema.

*though having said that I did get slightly annoyed at single mum Connelly owning a bar, a sailboat and a vintage Porsche.

swooshboy

Band of Brothers
Just got back from IMAX and I enjoyed the sh*t out of this, and I've never been a fan of the first one. There are elements to the movie that you could look back on and find fault in, but what would be the point of that?*

It's not arthouse, it's popcorn entertainment and it was probably one of the finest experiences I've ever had in the cinema.

*though having said that I did get slightly annoyed at single mum Connelly owning a bar, a sailboat and a vintage Porsche.
I was thinking about this - but I assume that being an Admiral’s daughter could account for her being able to ‘afford’ them.

RedDevilQuebecois

Penny is a daughter to an admiral, which is a fact that was mentioned in the early stages of the first movie. As such, she probably grew up knowing plenty of people associated with the Navy and then did more than enough to own all of those while living at North Island.

Simbo

It was the idea she was single that ruined any pretense of realism for me.