Tories plan to tackle homelessness, with a shovel

AaronRedDevil

How do you even fine a homeless person. Comes out of his tent “Yeah let me get my visa debit card there. What’s that? There’s nothing on it? Ah right, that’s probably why I’m homeless”

Dan_F

As someone who’s had to almost climb over homeless people when I used to work in retail, or face a barrage of abuse for asking them politely to move, I can definitely understand the frustrations of shop owners. I’ve found sick, piss, vomit, needles etc in my doorway before, and it’s horrible having to clean it up at 8am.

That said. This rule is fecking dumb and won’t solve the problem in the slightest. Standard Tory behaviour.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
Pricks. One of my favourite classes in my MA degree was looking at heritage and what it means to different groups and a group we focused on was those that were homeless. Brought up this project that took place 10 or so years ago that is a great initiative and one thing that the government should be doing instead of criminalising them - http://etheses.whiterose.ac.uk/6262/

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Fines, debt, criminal record. That will definitely increase their career and housing prospects.

feck the Tories and feck everyone that votes for them.

Jippy

Sleeps with tramps, bangs jacuzzis, dirty shoes
Staff
Pricks. One of my favourite classes in my MA degree was looking at heritage and what it means to different groups and a group we focused on was those that were homeless. Brought up this project that took place 10 or so years ago that is a great initiative and one thing that the government should be doing instead of criminalising them - http://etheses.whiterose.ac.uk/6262/
What did that project actually entail in practice? Not quite clear from the abstract.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
What did that project actually entail in practice? Not quite clear from the abstract.
Finding and talking to homeless people in the area, getting them to map their memories or places important to them as a homeless person (Which you can imagine is very different to people with homes) - cultural etc. Led to a discussion about an area that was believed to be of greater importance and they chose to excavate the site but collaborating with the homeless people giving them a bigger role in their own heritage and project. Something as simple as this though led to many of the homeless people gaining new skills (not necessarily archaeology) that helped them gain employment. Challenging themes such as identity too as people often categorise homeless people as having little to no identity as they are those that can be easily forgotten/lacking something in the form of a place to call 'home' but the project enforced the idea of validating homeless identity.

F-Red

Never really understood the logic of fining someone with no fixed address, taking money (which they probably don't have) isn't going to increase their chances of not being homeless. Madness.

UweBein

Creator of the Worst Analogy on the Internet.
Supports
Chelsea
How do you even fine a homeless person. Comes out of his tent “Yeah let me get my visa debit card there. What’s that? There’s nothing on it? Ah right, that’s probably why I’m homeless”
I am sure you can ask investors in private prisons for advice. They will gladly give you a few suggestions. That way the homeless person would do something good for the overall economy.

Siorac

Ah, the predictable callousness of right-wing governments.

Jippy

Staff
Finding and talking to homeless people in the area, getting them to map their memories or places important to them as a homeless person (Which you can imagine is very different to people with homes) - cultural etc. Led to a discussion about an area that was believed to be of greater importance and they chose to excavate the site but collaborating with the homeless people giving them a bigger role in their own heritage and project. Something as simple as this though led to many of the homeless people gaining new skills (not necessarily archaeology) that helped them gain employment. Challenging themes such as identity too as people often categorise homeless people as having little to no identity as they are those that can be easily forgotten/lacking something in the form of a place to call 'home' but the project enforced the idea of validating homeless identity.
I guess the homeless are a whole strata of people whose history is never recorded or even just swept under the carpet. People actually engaging with them must be something.

Kentonio

Scout
Supports
Chelsea
A City in the UK actually tried a pilot scheme similar to that a few years ago but not one homeless person signed up to it and it was subsequently dropped.
If not a single homeless person signed up, then either the staff running it weren't doing a proper job or there must have been some structural flaw. It's not like homeless people want to stay homeless. I'm curious now about what the issue was.

If not a single homeless person signed up, then either the staff running it weren't doing a proper job or there must have been some structural flaw. It's not like homeless people want to stay homeless. I'm curious now about what the issue was.
From what i was told (a family member was involved, which is why I'm not naming the city) they think the homeless people were uneasy about the commitment. They were to be given accommodation without question for as long as they wanted it but they had to guarantee no drink/drugs and some other rules. I suppose you become sort of institutionalised if you live on the streets long enough.

Kentonio

Scout
Supports
Chelsea
From what i was told (a family member was involved, which is why I'm not naming the city) they think the homeless people were uneasy about the commitment. They were to be given accommodation without question for as long as they wanted it but they had to guarantee no drink/drugs and some other rules. I suppose you become sort of institutionalised if you live on the streets long enough.
I think that’s absolutely true. You’d think the focus then though would become on how the project was being presented to the homeless. It’s a real shame they just cancelled it.

ThierryHenry

wishes he could watch Arsenal games with KM
I guess the homeless are a whole strata of people whose history is never recorded or even just swept under the carpet. People actually engaging with them must be something.
I remember reading someone in a Big Issue article talking about how dehumanising it is to ask for change and have people pretend that they're not there. Particularly if you think about that happening hundreds of times a day, every day.

While I should definitely give more (to charity and to the homeless), I always remember that when I see a homeless person and at least offer them an apology for not having change, or eye contact and a smile to just make them know that they're recognised.

Cascarino

Magnum Poopus
Supports
Swansea
So nothing like the Finnish approach then?

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
Absolutely, great idea: deterrents is what we need to stop people from getting into homelessness.

I’ve never quite understood the logic of fining a homeless person.

We really ought to look at the Finnish approach to homelessness.

https://www.theguardian.com/cities/...le-helsinkis-radical-solution-to-homelessness
A great approach that has been proven successful. I don't get why more countries aren't adopting this, and instead keep fighting symptoms, which by now they should know won't result in any real improvements

Jippy

Staff
I remember reading someone in a Big Issue article talking about how dehumanising it is to ask for change and have people pretend that they're not there. Particularly if you think about that happening hundreds of times a day, every day.

While I should definitely give more (to charity and to the homeless), I always remember that when I see a homeless person and at least offer them an apology for not having change, or eye contact and a smile to just make them know that they're recognised.
Yeah I never know if it's better to apologise for having no change or not. I guess at least you acknowledge them, but loads of cheap bastards must now hide behind the no cash because they use a card defence.

Lebowski

The fact that we have enough homes to house every citizen yet an increasing number of people, particularly young people, are forced to sleep rough should be a constant reminder of the failure of our economic and political system.

At the start of the pandemic, the UK government esssentially ended rough sleeping temporarily with the 'everyone in' order issued to councils to house their local homeless citizens. From memory I think it cost a few million £ and went to show how relatively cheap and easily the problem could be dealt with if the political will was there.

hubbuh

Yeah I never know if it's better to apologise for having no change or not. I guess at least you acknowledge them, but loads of cheap bastards must now hide behind the no cash because they use a card defence.
The problem is I often don't have change on me anymore. I use to always have a few quids knocking about but I rarely do now. I always feel guilty for not helping rough sleepers, so I do apologise but yeah they must get that a hell of a lot nowadays. Grim as feck.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
Some of them don't even care about getting money from you, they just appreciate you caring about them. A lot of them will value your time in having a conversation with them than giving them 50p.

Eckers99

Michael Corleone says hello
Fines, debt, criminal record. That will definitely increase their career and housing prospects.

feck the Tories and feck everyone that votes for them.
Well said.

maniak

Supports
Arsenal
So the finnish are solving the homelessness problem by giving people houses to live in?