Torres announces his retirement

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel
In before someone posts before the video of him missing an open goal.

One of the best strikers I've seen in his prime and tormented Vidic, who was probably the best defender of his time like no one else.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
A rare combination of speed, strength and skill with an eye for goal.

Was a great player before the injuries pretty much ruined him.

Matt007a

Crazy drop off in form. Makes you wonder if he was a great player who fell away or just a good player who had an amazing 2 year purple patch.

Raw

God I hated him playing for Liverpool but now I don't mind him so much. An absolutely devastating player in his prime.

Practically won it all except for a league title.

Skills

Snitch
At his best he had everything. Lightning quick, good in the air and deadly clinical.

Bojan11

He’d go down as a good player in my opinion not great though. He’d be a legend in Spain for that goal in 2008. He’s effectively been retired since 2010. Besides those two seasons at Liverpool he didn’t really do much. Never really made his mark on the Spain team like Villa did. I know he scored the winner in 2008, but he was fairly average that tournament despite Spain dominating. Scored two goals at the euro 2008 and 0 at the World Cup 2010.

No idea what happened to him. There were some games for Chelsea where he did everything right and then froze in front of goal. Everyone says injuries ruined him, but he missed some really great chances at Chelsea and Atletico.

Bojan11

Interesting enough Torres has played 50 more games than Rooney in his career yet has 50 less goals. That’s despite Rooney playing behind a striker or wherever possible for most of his career.

Skills

Snitch
He’d go down as a good player in my opinion not great though. He’d be a legend in Spain for that goal in 2008. He’s effectively been retired since 2010. Besides those two seasons at Liverpool he didn’t really do much. Never really made his mark on the Spain team like Villa did. I know he scored the winner in 2008, but he was fairly average that tournament despite Spain dominating. Scored two goals at the euro 2008 and 0 at the World Cup 2010.

No idea what happened to him. There were some games for Chelsea where he did everything right and then froze in front of goal. Everyone says injuries ruined him, but he missed some really great chances at Chelsea and Atletico.
Confidence I think. People underrate how important self belief is in professional sports, but even average players can play out of their minds when they're brimming full of confidence. And even the most gifted players can look like shit if they lose their self belief. Torres was in the latter.

Catt

Ole's at the wheel!
He was great at Liverpool for a couple of years but we haven't heard much from him lately.

Can't remember him playing for Milan though.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Cannot believe Fergie is reported to have thought he wasnt good enough. Unreal player in his prime.

Catt

Ole's at the wheel!
Alright thanks. This is why I don't make new threads :)

RobinLFC

Cries when Liverpool doesn't get praised
Supports
Liverpool
The song we had for him is one of my all-time favourites.

One of the best strikers of the PL era when he was in his prime. It's hard to choose between him and Suarez 13-14 version.

Bojan11

Cannot believe Fergie is reported to have thought he wasnt good enough. Unreal player in his prime.
What?

Fergie wanted him and even said this in his book

Ferguson lavished Torres, who scored three times against United for Liverpool, with praise in his 2013 autobiography.

"Torres was a very, very talented individual," Ferguson wrote. "We watched him many times and tried to sign him when he was 16. We expressed our interest two years before he joined Liverpool, but we always felt that our contact with him would end only in him receiving an improved contract at Atletico Madrid.

"We watched him in many youth tournaments and always fancied him. He was ingrained in the fabric at Atletico, so I was surprised Liverpool were able to prise him away. Benitez's Spanish connection must have helped.

B20

HEY EVERYONE I IGNORE SOMEONE LOOK AT ME
Supports
Liverpool
One of the most graceful strikers you'll ever see. The complete package up front in his prime. Some of the goals he scored was just taking the piss out of Premiership defenders. Always seemed to find time to take the touch he wanted inside the box.

I always wondered if he was maybe struggling with depression at Chelsea. You could see how much in his head he was at times. There were periods where I got the strong impression that he'd just focus on dropping deep and wide as part of the build up so he couldn't get on the end of things in the box.

B20

HEY EVERYONE I IGNORE SOMEONE LOOK AT ME
Supports
Liverpool
The song we had for him is one of my all-time favourites.

One of the best strikers of the PL era when he was in his prime. It's hard to choose between him and Suarez 13-14 version.
Not that hard. Torres was world class but Suarez was simply another level.

LInkash

I prefer the wording of the title on this thread, reminds of that Torres signs thread.

IAmAWinner

Phenomenal player at his prime. Was in awe of him during his first 2 seasons with Liverpool. Became a joke after that unfortunately.

The myth that he constantly dominated Vidic will live on though, now more than ever.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Interesting enough Torres has played 50 more games than Rooney in his career yet has 50 less goals. That’s despite Rooney playing behind a striker or wherever possible for most of his career.
Torres had 1 great goal scoring season and apart from that he was never a big goal scorer (maybe because of injuries).

He played 8 seasons in PL and scored more than 20 league goals once and more than 10 league goals 3 times.

TheeAma12

Supports
Chelsea
Over 200 goals scored, he won Chelsea the Europa League, scored in the Euro's final and in a World Cup, also scored that goal against Barca at the Camp Nou. The transfer didn't work out but the blues will thank El Nino

12OunceEpilogue

In perfect harmony
Scout
One of those PL strikers alongside the likes of Henry and Aguero that I genuinely feared us facing, as they could take a game away from you single-handed at their best. Thankfully he won nothing at Liverpool and didn't do any serious damage to us, but gave us some pretty torrid moments in isolation it must be said.

He's got a pretty good haul from Chelsea; CL, EL and FA Cup despite having been a huge disappointment there, and who can forget that open goal at Old Trafford?

A great player in his time though, fair play.

pascell

Hate to say it (I actually don't but in a jealous sense) because he tormented us playing for L'pool but he was truly world class, an absolute menace who had a fine all round game.

Bit of a grey area but that knee injury/surgery then going to the 2010 WC ruined the rest of his career, crazy to think he was only 26 at the time.

Hope he has a happy and healthy retirement and life treats him well.

GodShaveTheQueen

We mean it man, we love our queen!
That is a perfect picture.

Great start as a young player at Atletico, reaches his peak at Liverpool, fall from grace and down on his knees at Chelsea and finished back at home.

Hopefully history would be more kind to him while counting the most feared strikers of all time.

Bwuk

He was scary good at Liverpool. The sort of striker I hope Rashford develops into.

Castia

Was generally world class in his Liverpool days

Unplayable at times, I'll admit before he went to Liverpool I wanted United to get him, we we're constantly linked but it just didn't happen.

Sylar

One of the best strikers I've seen in his prime and tormented Vidic, who was probably the best defender of his time like no one else.
Tormented Vidic for one game yeah? Cos I keep reading elsewhere that he always did, but he kinda didnt except that 4-1 game (and I blame Vidic for letting the ball bounce)

Tostao_80

True. He was that rare footballer that a lot of neutrals wanted to be better than what he was. Unassuming, talented plus the name to match, i always wanted him to be great. Sadly, Villa was much better for Spain and even after he left his beloved Atletico, he was laterly usurped there by many a striker (Forlan, Costa, Antoine). His return there in 2015 was a fairytale. El nino will be missed.

Cloud7

Fantastic player at his peak. Destructive was the only word that could really describe him. Even though he was playing at Liverpool I still loved to watch him rampage when he was at his best.

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel

redshaw

Never won a league title. Still, a top player who did the business in the major cups.

Sylar

I could pencil in a Vidic red card against Liverpool, infact he had a hat trick of those during one of the successful United eras.

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/nemanja-vidic-lrm-/bilanzdetails/spieler/19726/gegner/31
Right? but in the 4-1 his red was for taking down somebody else (Gerrard I think?)
The other time was a late (by late I mean last minute of the game) challenge vs Kuyt?
And was the other an elbow on somebody else?

And his goals, one time was a free header (with Rio being closer to him). I remember being at that game and Park scoring the winner.
And the other at Anfield he got the better of Rio not Vidic (think it was the 2nil with ngog scoring)

UweBein

Creator of the Worst Analogy on the Internet.
Supports
Chelsea
Over 200 goals scored, he won Chelsea the Europa League, scored in the Euro's final and in a World Cup, also scored that goal against Barca at the Camp Nou. The transfer didn't work out but the blues will thank El Nino
Also won that corner that Didier headed in monstrously!