Torres announces his retirement

432JuanMata

How often have you heard people and pundits saying, “you don’t become a bad player overnight”?

The general sentiment is true, but there are clearly anomalies, like Torres, where players do become terrible overnight!
Torres didn’t become bad overnight he had injuries and lost a yard of pace at Liverpool and they sold him at the right time. He lost all his confidence at Chelsea and he looked worse than he was. But he was in decline and then the confidence went plus injuries and that was him done. It’s Sanchez all over I knew he wouldn’t be great here but even he was worse than I thought

It's almost certainly going to be another shit promo thing about an e-sports team or some video game link up.

All the other tweets on his account are sponsorship and branding related. They pulled a similar trick a few months ago when 'announcing' that he was the going to be the 'global ambassdor' for some trash freemium football game that has literally 382 followers on Twitter and less than 1,000 worldwide downloads.

Luke1995

Yeah seen that. I wonder where he will go. Did you see how bulked up he is ? Also at his age that has to be a disadvantage as he will be even slower and less mobile, unless he is planning on being a target man
I think Torres is a smart man. He knows that he will never be as fast as he was in his twenties. He has the height to be a target man, and heading, in his prime, was one of the best parts of his game.

I could absolutely see him doing that. Although typically, his game has never been that of a target man, as he used to move alot.

Wonder how he would do in a MLS team. I'm assuming if he really comes back, it wouldn't be to one of europe top leagues and he has already played in Japan.

Luke1995

It's almost certainly going to be another shit promo thing about an e-sports team or some video game link up.

All the other tweets on his account are sponsorship and branding related. They pulled a similar trick a few months ago when 'announcing' that he was the going to be the 'global ambassdor' for some trash freemium football game that has literally 382 followers on Twitter and less than 1,000 worldwide downloads.
Possible. Sucks to get excited haha.

Brophs

The One and Only

Aye. That’ll be it.

432JuanMata

I think Torres is a smart man. He knows that he will never be as fast as he was in his twenties. He has the height to be a target man, and heading, in his prime, was one of the best parts of his game.

I could absolutely see him doing that. Although typically, his game has never been that of a target man, as he used to move alot.

Wonder how he would do in a MLS team. I'm assuming if he really comes back, it wouldn't be to one of europe top leagues and he has already played in Japan.
Has to be MLS or China doesn’t it ? Yeah he is smart and he has bulked up so much so he is obviously training everyday so hopefully he is match fit quick

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea
Torres didn’t become bad overnight he had injuries and lost a yard of pace at Liverpool and they sold him at the right time. He lost all his confidence at Chelsea and he looked worse than he was. But he was in decline and then the confidence went plus injuries and that was him done. It’s Sanchez all over I knew he wouldn’t be great here but even he was worse than I thought
He always struck me as someone who was so outrageously physically talented that the game always came easy for him. People focus on his pace but his strength, ability to leap, and ability to kick the absolute piss out of a football were also ridiculous during his prime - once he lost the physical edge he had on just about everyone and had to compete on the basis of technical quality, he fell off a cliff.

Can't fault him too much for giving his all for his country but surely in retrospect he'd have gone about his career choices differently.

Luke1995

Has to be MLS or China doesn’t it ? Yeah he is smart and he has bulked up so much so he is obviously training everyday so hopefully he is match fit quick
I wonder why he didn't bulk up like that while he was still actively playing

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
Great player at Liverpool, thought he is going to be best center forward in the world for a while, but his peak doesn’t last long. Also, he is probably the first high profile player I’ve ever seen who actually freaks out and refuse to take penalty in big shootout as he is too scared.

Last edited:

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
Great player at Liverpool, thought he is going to be best center forward in the world for a while, but his peak doesn’t last long. Also, he is probably the first high profile player I’ve ever seen who actually freaks out and refuse to take penalty in big shootout as he is too scared.
Who did he refuse to take a pen for in a big shootout? Was it for Spain?

I remember him refusing to take a pen against someone in the league because he didn't want to break his goalscoring duck with a pen.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
Who did he refuse to take a pen for in a big shootout? Was it for Spain?

I remember him refusing to take a pen against someone in the league because he didn't want to break his goalscoring duck with a pen.
I can’t remember exactly whether is in CL or FA cup. He refuse to take it due to his confidence issue.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Part of that annoying myth that he "always" destroyed Vidic, when in reality it was 3 games out of about 15 or so, and Vidic was comfortable for the rest.

B20

HEY EVERYONE I IGNORE SOMEONE LOOK AT ME
Supports
Liverpool
Part of that annoying myth that he "always" destroyed Vidic, when in reality it was 3 games out of about 15 or so, and Vidic was comfortable for the rest.
Bellamy was the one that had vidic on toast every time. Didn't nutmeg him in a 1-4 victory though.

lefty_jakobz

I ❤️ moses
Reckon he goes to Inter Miami or maybe Slippy G talks him into playing in Scotland