Transfer Forum List of Chief Target, Season-wise

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
you've missed Dibrijl Cisse of that list. For about 2 summers he was the Caftards wet dream. Before he went to Liverpool off course. Think it was around 99/2000

antohan

gets aroused by tagline boobs
you've missed Dibrijl Cisse of that list. For about 2 summers he was the Caftards wet dream. Before he went to Liverpool off course. Think it was around 99/2000
Good call, at one point he was the second coming.

Q: Who is the brightest talent?
Cisse

Q: How are we going to fix the team?
A: Cisse

Q: But we need midfielders...
A: Cisse will score so many goals we won't need any

Q: Is it 442, 4321 or 352 that wins Europe?
A: It doesn't matter so long as you have Cisse

Ok, I exaggerate a bit, but it was unreal. You always wondered how long it would take for a thread to turn into a Cisse wankfest.

I had never even seen the guy play but by the time Uruguay got to play France in the World Cup I wasn't worried about Henry or Zidane, I was bracing myself for the terrible spectacle of seeing Cisse piss all over us on the biggest world stage...

Then he got the ball and I knew he was wank.

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers

Yes, Cisse should be on the list for 2002 - there was a lot of threads about him.

For 2003, I'd also swap Ronaldinho for Joaquin - as this thread shows - https://www.redcafe.net/f9/ronaldinho-joaquin-28274/

2003 - Joaquin
2002 - Cisse

2001's harder to call - there was a lot of interest regarding Tristan at the time.

Chirag

Euro '08 League Winner
Wasn't Di Canio high on the list in the early 2000's?

Myxomatosis

United fan? My arse. WUM masquerades
Yes, Cisse should be on the list for 2002 - there was a lot of threads about him.

For 2003, I'd also swap Ronaldinho for Joaquin - as this thread shows - https://www.redcafe.net/f9/ronaldinho-joaquin-28274/

2003 - Joaquin
2002 - Cisse

2001's harder to call - there was a lot of interest regarding Tristan at the time.
Joaquin over Ronaldinho. Damn some people were way off.

Stretch

2010 has to be David Silva, that's all I ever read on here. Silva won't cost much, he can play anywhere, goalkeeper too etc etc

Moultz

Did we not have something for Villa over the past couple of years but saying that Chelsea have been a bit closer than us on that front i think.

How i would love to have Villa to rival that poncey feck in Merseyside

MrMarcello

In a well-ordered universe...
Essien was pretty much signed by Chelsea before the summer began, it became simply how much they were going to pay Lyon. Essien was the top target from about Jan - May until SAF had given up any hope of signing him. I believe Ballack became top transfer target then. Hargreaves could have been signed for "peanuts" that summer since he had less than a year left on his contract. But that was before he had a couple good WC matches and suddenly became the answer to SAF's prayers.

Robben probably became the top target after Ronaldhino went to Barca. Once he signed for Chelsea the club turned its attention to Essien I think. But after the Euros, Rooney became the top target in 2004.

2010 - TBD
2009 - Benzema
2008 - Berbatov
2007 - Torres
2006 - Ballack/Diarra
2005 - Essien/Ballack
2004 - Rooney
2003 - Ronaldhino (Cisse was this summer I think)
2002 - Rio (seem to recall Joe Cole was desired)
2001 - Veron (but I think some wanted Nedved)
2000 - Rivaldo & Sol

Sauxees Moi Hui

2005, for me, is most remembered as the summer when we all wanted to sign a goalkeeper. Van der Sar was mentioned a few times, as were Given, Jaskalaainen, Kameini, Robinson, probably a few others. Can't remember who was the Caf's top choice, though.

In 2002 or 2003 Van der Vaart was a top "transfer target" here.

::sonny::

2010 - David Villa
2009 - Karim Benzema
2008 - Dimitar Berbatov
2007 - Owen Hargreaves
2006 - Mahmadou Diarra
2005 - Michael Ballack
2004 - Michael Essien
2003 - Ronaldinho
2002 - Djibril Cisse

Scoreboard Red

2010 - David Villa
2009 - Karim Benzema
2008 - Dimitar Berbatov
2007 - Owen Hargreaves
2006 - Mahmadou Diarra
2005 - Michael Ballack
2004 - Michael Essien
2003 - Ronaldinho
2002 - Djibril Cisse
We won't get Villa...if the whispers are right, he wants two hundred grand a week wages and there's a forty million quid cost.
He'll be off to either Real or City, possibly Chelsea if they feel the need to disband Anelka and Drogba...

Ekeke

We won't get Villa...if the whispers are right, he wants two hundred grand a week wages and there's a forty million quid cost.
He'll be off to either Real or City, possibly Chelsea if they feel the need to disband Anelka and Drogba...
Can you ask the whispers when it was exactly that David Villa became so attracted to money?

Was it last season when he wasnt getting paid, twice, and still didnt ask to leave?

Scoreboard Red

Can you ask the whispers when it was exactly that David Villa became so attracted to money?

Was it last season when he wasnt getting paid, twice, and still didnt ask to leave?
Do you think United are inclined to pay forty million for a 29 year old striker?
Good player, would like to see him at United but I cannot see it for that price.
Look, it's not my money, or any other fan's so really we have no say in it, if United want to pay that much, fair dues to the lad if he gets it but I cannot see it one bit.
I don't know if he will receive that much (200K) but I dare say a player of his calibre would be hard-pressed if he wasn't getting one hundred and twenty thousand rips a week...

Ekeke

Do you think United are inclined to pay forty million for a 29 year old striker?
Good player, would like to see him at United but I cannot see it for that price.
Look, it's not my money, or any other fan's so really we have no say in it, if United want to pay that much, fair dues to the lad if he gets it but I cannot see it one bit.
I don't know if he will receive that much (200K) but I dare say a player of his calibre would be hard-pressed if he wasn't getting one hundred and twenty thousand rips a week...
What does that have to do with bullshit rumours over his wages?

I dont think we should sign him but that doesnt mean all derogatory rumours about him are true. It doesnt make any sense at all and has no real source.

If we do get him I'm sure his wages will be reasonable. Cant see it happening though.

By the way he just turned 28 in December. Please dont age players just because you dont want us to sign them, its a little immature dont you think?

Scoreboard Red

What does that have to do with bullshit rumours over his wages?

I dont think we should sign him but that doesnt mean all derogatory rumours about him are true. It doesnt make any sense at all and has no real source.

If we do get him I'm sure his wages will be reasonable. Cant see it happening though.
OK then, well considering this is just all bullshit and bollocks, let's get cracking.
I think we'll sign Lionel Messi, Claus Wunderbar and Pele...

Mate, I know it's all a load of muppetry but there has to be some degree of truthful opinion in there, come on...

Ekeke

OK then, well considering this is just all bullshit and bollocks, let's get cracking.
I think we'll sign Lionel Messi, Claus Wunderbar and Pele...

Mate, I know it's all a load of muppetry but there has to be some degree of truthful opinion in there, come on...
Why?

If I told you there were whispers that Wayne Rooney has 12 toes, would you think there's some degree of truth in that too?

It doesnt make sense to suggest that Villa wants ridiculous amounts in wages when he's only ever moved clubs when the clubs wanted to move him on in tough financial times. Thats been the same at Sporting Gijon, Zaragoza and now Valencia. Valencia have been unable to pay his wages on several occasions in the past 2 seasons. But each window comes and goes and he doesnt put in a transfer request or ask to leave. He leaves it in the hands of his club.

But suddenly he woke up one day and decided all that matters is cash. So he suddenly fancies 200k in wages. Because some guy said so. He must have had a dream about money or something, right?

Scoreboard Red

Why?

If I told you there were whispers that Wayne Rooney has 12 toes, would you think there's some degree of truth in that too?

It doesnt make sense to suggest that Villa wants ridiculous amounts in wages when he's only ever moved clubs when the clubs wanted to move him on in tough financial times. Thats been the same at Sporting Gijon, Zaragoza and now Valencia. Valencia have been unable to pay his wages on several occasions in the past 2 seasons. But each window comes and goes and he doesnt put in a transfer request or ask to leave. He leaves it in the hands of his club.

But suddenly he woke up one day and decided all that matters is cash. So he suddenly fancies 200k in wages. Because some guy said so. He must have had a dream about money or something, right?

Bro, there's a lot more chance that David Villa wants and will get paid 200k in wages than Rooney having twelve toes so I'll politely disagree with you on that one.
Let's say for example United DID want him and offer him say one hundred grand a week, don't you think Real, Chelsea and City will come in and offer him one-twenty? Now being a noble human being, I'm not saying he hasn't been chivalrous in the past, fair play to the lad, but he is human and being offered more will sway his decision.
I'm a nice guy (believe it or not) but if a job offered me more money, I'd take it. It's not often I hear of people taking less money to pursue a role in which they believe will be more rewarding and opportunistic, especially if you're receiving offers for more money from companies (ie - rival football clubs) who are either on the same level as you (Real, Chelsea, Barca) or even a company who are perceived to be the up and comers (City, if they make the Champions League)...

City were prepared to offer Kaka 500k a week. IReal pay Ronaldo over 200K a week.
I'd certainly categorise Villa as up there or not far from the calibre of these players. He could command that fee, especially from City and you really couldn't blame him if he took it. Nice guy or not....

Sultan

Gentleness adorns everything
I can't see any top Spanish players moving to the UK unless they are paid obscene amounts of money. Not because they are greedy, but more likely due to disparity in tax rates.

Top tax rate in the UK is 50%, and I think it's 25% in Spain.

::sonny::

You're right :(

Manchester United play down Villa link
12:00 PM 11 April, 2010
Sir Alex Ferguson has moved to play down speculation linking Manchester United Football Club with a move for Spanish international striker David Villa.

The Reds are amongst a number of clubs who have been linked with the Valencia striker, who is expected to be sold for a fee in the region of £35million this summer.

However, Ferguson has played down the speculation regarding Villa, and admits he is not surprised to find his club being linked with the 27-year-old.

“Last summer it was Franck Ribery and Karim Benzema, although he was a young player and one of the targets we set out to get,” said the United boss.

"Now it is David Villa. I am sure by the end of the season there will be half a dozen more. I can't confirm that speculation but most of it is not right."

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
Other contenders for 2001 include Cisse (again), Mexes, D'Alessandro and Van der Vaart.

Salvation

Damnation
Essien was pretty much signed by Chelsea before the summer began, it became simply how much they were going to pay Lyon. Essien was the top target from about Jan - May until SAF had given up any hope of signing him. I believe Ballack became top transfer target then. Hargreaves could have been signed for "peanuts" that summer since he had less than a year left on his contract. But that was before he had a couple good WC matches and suddenly became the answer to SAF's prayers.

Robben probably became the top target after Ronaldhino went to Barca. Once he signed for Chelsea the club turned its attention to Essien I think. But after the Euros, Rooney became the top target in 2004.

2010 - TBD
2009 - Benzema
2008 - Berbatov
2007 - Torres
2006 - Ballack/Diarra
2005 - Essien/Ballack
2004 - Rooney
2003 - Ronaldhino (Cisse was this summer I think)
2002 - Rio (seem to recall Joe Cole was desired)
2001 - Veron (but I think some wanted Nedved)
2000 - Rivaldo & Sol
This isn't about who the club wanted but who the transfer forum wanted.

Seems Villa is tied with Gourcuff and Joaquin was wanted as much as Ronaldinho.

Rivaldo and Sol? Really?

MehdiMahdavikia

The only mention of Rivaldo and United ever was when Fergie mentioned him in an interview around the time of the club world cup. He said he'd tried but would never be able to sign Brazillian players like Ronaldo and Rivaldo as they never want to live in England and in hindsight he was right. I'd say all the transfer muppertry back then was about Lazio players, I think Salas in particular then later Veron, Nedved and Claudio Lopez. Boksic or Salas to replace Andy Cole I think would be closer to the truth.