Transfer Tweets - 2018/19 | Remember if posting foreign language tweets to post in English too

Status
Not open for further replies.

United Pro

I don't disagree, But, all the power is with the player.

Look at Martial. We weren't going to sell him, now everything suggests he will be sold.

I don't think Pogba would do that, but who knows.
If all the power was with the player, then we would have signed Alderweireld weeks ago. Imo Pogba won't be allowed to leave this summer regardless of what the player wants. It'll be too detrimental to our team

jesperjaap

If its Maguire then I'm sorry but we're finished. If we're getting one player let it be a RW.
Obviously do with both but for me our biggest problem offensivley let alone defensively is our defence. None of our centr backs (and no sorry Lindelof really cant) can distribute the ball quickly or pass anywhere but sideways or to our defensive midfielder and as that is usually Matic who isnt a creative player, our play is straight away slowed down unless Pogba comes deep for the ball. Pogba is at his best moving forward with or to get the ball, so he struggles. Lingard our most improved player has fantastic movement, which is best on the break, if the play is slowed down we lose a lot of that. SO the other thing we resort to is Lukaku as a target man....big mistake. People think of him as a target man as he is so big, he is an awful target man his laying off of the ball and first touch is abysmal. He is good when he gets turned and can move down the channels one on one or moving into the box. SO half the good things of our attackign players are nullified from us being so slow to bring the ball out of our own third. That is a big part for me of our negative football, not just the style.
The other thing is Matic is really good defensively at brakign up play, it is a positional thing and strength rather than his energy at breaking up play. The players we have for that in Fellaini and Herrera are not godo enough in my opinion. This is where I hope Fred becomes a good signing both in terms of cycling the ball forward quickly and his energy to break up play intelligently unlike Herrera/Fellaini.
If we can sign a good centre back at playing the ball out (would rather sign two defenders) the ball can be cycled quicker, not always to the furtherst back midfielder or our full backs, allowing them to move forward, allowing Pogba to move forward, allowing Lingard to make his runs more often, avoiding using Lukaku as a target man and play breaking up, instead he can get on the shoulder of a defender.
If we were to sell some of our centre backs and buy two really good ones in we would be infinately better I feel (though I would still like to see a right winger too and personally would like to see a central midfield young warrior as well such as Ascacibar to break up play)...but hey ho, unloess we are signing Bale which we arent, I would rather Maguire which is an improvement

haram

So starting fullbacks were never on the agenda?

Dalot, Fred, Grant, a CB and an attacker are the 5.

I can't believe the plan has always been to ignore the fullback areas again!
I dont think he was counting Grant.

Shane88

Actually Nostradamus
If Harry fecking Maguire is all we get in the next two weeks, this season will be an absolute shitshow with Mourinho abandoning ship somewhere around late November.

AlexUTD

Feck Woodward and feck the Glazers, Woodward said in a interview in may: “Playing performance doesn’t really have a meaningful impact on what we can do on the commercial side of the business.”

Manchester United are a fecking piggybank and Glazers take out money every year to themselves AND pay debt. Just think how much more money we could have had on players if we did not have these american owners.

Pavl3n

So starting fullbacks were never on the agenda?

Dalot, Fred, Grant, a CB and an attacker are the 5.

I can't believe the plan has always been to ignore the fullback areas again!
I don't think Grant was ever in that list. I think LB position was standing there.

I'm guessing when he says he gave 5 he means player options divided over the 2 positions, RW Willian or Perisic, and CB Alderweireld, Maguire or Boateng.
I'm more inclined to think it was 5 positions with N many players in each position brackets. CM, RB, LB, CB and RW.
What we don't know is what's the priority of those positions according to Jose. Since he's here, I don't think we have or we are about to consider deadline day dealings.

From another point of view, could be 5 specific names and we have to ship out before we bring in anyone. But I think it's less likely to be the case.

Sterling Archer

Feck Woodward and feck the Glazers, Woodward said in a interview in may: “Playing performance doesn’t really have a meaningful impact on what we can do on the commercial side of the business.”

Manchester United are a fecking piggybank and Glazers take out money every year to themselves AND pay debt. Just think how much more money we could have had on players if we did not have these american owners.
Good..good

Let the hate flow through you...

gr3yham3

I think Jose meant 5 positions: as most speculated it would have been LB, CB, RW, CB and RB. We have Dalot and Fred as the new RB and CM positions. I think he thought Shaw was leaving, but I guess either he was impressed by Shaw, or more likely that his hands were tied budget wise, so he had to let go on the LB position to focus on the RW and CB.

This window has really been strangely quiet for most of the PL clubs, even though the transfer deadline has been pushed forward stupidly due to this being a World Cup summer. I can see why we want to sell first before getting more players in as our squad is pretty bloated - too many players will mean that wages will just be sat on the bench over the season. For every new "in" we see, we should see an "out" I guess.

VanGaalyTime

Not sure why we'd need to sell first. United has the lowest wages to turnover in the league. We can easily afford new players without selling current ones. My concern is that the Glazers are refusing to spend the club's money. After stealing a billion pounds from the club (and 25m per year in debt interest STILL) it's unbelievable we can't afford a few million for a left back and right winger.

fallengt

We're fecked.
Our board is pathetic, either back manager or just fire him. It's no coincidence that we've been struggling since Ed Woodward got promoted to this position. He has no idea how to drive this club forward

Kaivalya

At this point I'd rather see Martial sold than kept. It's so obvious he's not going to work out at this club. By the time Mourinho is gone, (seems like just a matter of time) Martial will have entered his last 12-18 months on contract. Going off his current predicament and Mourinho's recent tactical choices, it doesn't look like he'll be part of the 11 that starts the season. If he's not going to start the season with half the squad away, it's not going to happen anytime under Mourinho.
Just let him off to Dortmund or Bayern and get all the bad stuff over with.

J-Stander

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
We're fecked.
Our board is pathetic, either back manager or just fire him. It's no coincidence that we've been struggling since Ed Woodward got promoted to this position. He has no idea how to drive this club forward
Completely agree. No doubt that Woodward knows how to bring money in commercially but why is he still handling transfers? It’s a mess. Don’t blame Jose for being fecked off.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
Why is he always talking about lists and how many names on them?, odd as feck.
I would say he is now throwing Ed under the bus as well. I gave you a list with five names on it and I am still waiting. If I only get one then that is pathetic.
Actually I agree with @Devil may care above. He is moaning a bit too much for me now. I am just wondering if the board are starting to have doubts.

Also @gr3yham3 is making sense as well.
A bit of hedging my bets here.

Last edited:

Macern

Pee pee pants
Obviously do with both but for me our biggest problem offensivley let alone defensively is our defence. None of our centr backs (and no sorry Lindelof really cant) can distribute the ball quickly or pass anywhere but sideways or to our defensive midfielder and as that is usually Matic who isnt a creative player, our play is straight away slowed down unless Pogba comes deep for the ball. Pogba is at his best moving forward with or to get the ball, so he struggles. Lingard our most improved player has fantastic movement, which is best on the break, if the play is slowed down we lose a lot of that. SO the other thing we resort to is Lukaku as a target man....big mistake. People think of him as a target man as he is so big, he is an awful target man his laying off of the ball and first touch is abysmal. He is good when he gets turned and can move down the channels one on one or moving into the box. SO half the good things of our attackign players are nullified from us being so slow to bring the ball out of our own third. That is a big part for me of our negative football, not just the style.
The other thing is Matic is really good defensively at brakign up play, it is a positional thing and strength rather than his energy at breaking up play. The players we have for that in Fellaini and Herrera are not godo enough in my opinion. This is where I hope Fred becomes a good signing both in terms of cycling the ball forward quickly and his energy to break up play intelligently unlike Herrera/Fellaini.
If we can sign a good centre back at playing the ball out (would rather sign two defenders) the ball can be cycled quicker, not always to the furtherst back midfielder or our full backs, allowing them to move forward, allowing Pogba to move forward, allowing Lingard to make his runs more often, avoiding using Lukaku as a target man and play breaking up, instead he can get on the shoulder of a defender.
If we were to sell some of our centre backs and buy two really good ones in we would be infinately better I feel (though I would still like to see a right winger too and personally would like to see a central midfield young warrior as well such as Ascacibar to break up play)...but hey ho, unloess we are signing Bale which we arent, I would rather Maguire which is an improvement
What a post. I agree with pretty much everything here. A proper ball playing center back should help us massively in our build-up and therefore in the attack. I’d love to see us buying Maguire, he’s the exact type of CB we need. He has everything Bailly doesn’t (aerial strength and ball playing abilities) and Bailly has everything Maguire doesn’t (pace, agility).

Watching Bailly and Smalling together is always very annoying. They always pass to the sidebacks or Matic. Usually it ends up with a long ball forward since we have players like Valencia and Darmian and not Marcelo.

Crimson King

If he only expects one more incoming player and that's a defender (it's what we've been linked with most prominently) then I really can't see how we can let Martial go. It would leave us desperately short of attacking options.

He might be referring to Willian I suppose, but given some of the figures we've seen attached to his name I have my doubts.

-Supreme-

What a post. I agree with pretty much everything here. A proper ball playing center back should help us massively in our build-up and therefore in the attack. I’d love to see us buying Maguire, he’s the exact type of CB we need. He has everything Bailly doesn’t (aerial strength and ball playing abilities) and Bailly has everything Maguire doesn’t (pace, agility).

Watching Bailly and Smalling together is always very annoying. They always pass to the sidebacks or Matic. Usually it ends up with a long ball forward since we have players like Valencia and Darmian and not Marcelo.
It does make sense that we are looking for a ball playing CB, the amount of points we lost to lower teams last season were extremely bad for a title challenging side. We need to transition the attack from the back against defensive sides where we will be expected to have more posssesion of the ball, and this will stop our attacking players from dropping deep which made the opposition easy to defend esepecially against sides that would be happy to get a draw against us

This signing will greatly address the points that we have lost last season without a doubt

NieThePiet

Supports
Werder Bremen, Arsenal

Pizarro joins Werder again!
We signed him the first time 1999, now we signed him the fourth time 2018. :drool:

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
Absolutely agree on the central defense. I think it can become quite polarised on the Caf, the debate about our centre backs. Especially with the much referred to defensive record (and people have countered that with Dave's stats and how many shots on goal we concede). It's not really about our defenders defending, it's about how it affects all our approach to have players who aren't anywhere near good enough on the ball and cannot distribute the ball quickly or comfortably. At minimum you need a very dynamic midfield with loads of energy or very good ball playing centre backs. We've had neither. Fred might remedy this somewhat, but yes we are desperate for quality at the back. Not sure Maguire is that bit of quality though. And I think we are almost equally desperate for an attacking player on the right. Even if those two signings were to happen we'd be without a proper left back and no actual alternative to Lukaku, so CB and RW is the bare minimum.

jesperjaap

Absolutely agree on the central defense. I think it can become quite polarised on the Caf, the debate about our centre backs. Especially with the much referred to defensive record (and people have countered that with Dave's stats and how many shots on goal we concede). It's not really about our defenders defending, it's about how it affects all our approach to have players who aren't anywhere near good enough on the ball and cannot distribute the ball quickly or comfortably. At minimum you need a very dynamic midfield with loads of energy or very good ball playing centre backs. We've had neither. Fred might remedy this somewhat, but yes we are desperate for quality at the back. Not sure Maguire is that bit of quality though. And I think we are almost equally desperate for an attacking player on the right. Even if those two signings were to happen we'd be without a proper left back and no actual alternative to Lukaku, so CB and RW is the bare minimum.
Yes I am kind of satisfied with Maguire but not blown away with excitement at signing him....mind you was very much the same with Matic and he has done more than I expected. Personally with Dalot signed I am not as negative on our full backs as most, for this season anyway, thought Valencia and Young were ok last year, though they both kept cutting inside...maybe a quicker attack might help them in that regard, and I still think Shaw can do well with a run of games, its his defining season or out though.

Beginning of the window I would have liked a fullback, two centre backs, two central midfielders, a right winger and a striker with a good 8 players out, knew that wouldnt happen, but so far only two signings towards that has surprised me the other way and Pereira appears the only youngster ready at the moment to come in for one of those positions. Nowere near enough this window, but at least if we do sign Maguire it goes someway to remedying one of our major problems, also a big plus defending corners which we dont seem to have been great at often last season

Dante

Average bang
That's a load of bollocks.

Any boss, in any job, who takes issue with someone who'd rather being there for the birth of their child, than at work is a complete feckwit, (and I don't think Mourinho is).

This is opportunistic press bollocks.
No it isn't. I was spot on

jesperjaap

Yes, Bailly really needs the right partner I feel to see if he is a top quality centre back or a really athletic liability, I think the former. Our other centre backs are all just so average, I would keep Smalling only for the fact cant sign three centtre backs in one window, still think we should have signed two and ditched the rest personally.....but Jones and Lindelof will still be here end of the window no doubt along with Smalling, which I am not happy with personally

cyberman

No it isn't. I was spot on

TBF he's saying the baby is born, healthy with no complications yet Anthony is still in England. I don't think he's saying he shouldn't have gone at all.
Its a strange one. Delph was over and back within days for the birth of their child.

jesperjaap

I think Jose meant 5 positions: as most speculated it would have been LB, CB, RW, CB and RB. We have Dalot and Fred as the new RB and CM positions. I think he thought Shaw was leaving, but I guess either he was impressed by Shaw, or more likely that his hands were tied budget wise, so he had to let go on the LB position to focus on the RW and CB.

This window has really been strangely quiet for most of the PL clubs, even though the transfer deadline has been pushed forward stupidly due to this being a World Cup summer. I can see why we want to sell first before getting more players in as our squad is pretty bloated - too many players will mean that wages will just be sat on the bench over the season. For every new "in" we see, we should see an "out" I guess.
Yes especially defensively it is bloated. I dont know if it is wanting a certain fee that is putting clubs off has slowed that down or just really poor outgoing transfer work on our behalf, but little excuse. The majority of the players we should be looking to move on (Fellaini exlcuded) were not even involved in the world cup and should have been gone by the end of it, only Blind has gone though so far, poor. We cant bring in the 6 players or so I think we need when we already have so many players I aree.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
Yes I am kind of satisfied with Maguire but not blown away with excitement at signing him....mind you was very much the same with Matic and he has done more than I expected. Personally with Dalot signed I am not as negative on our full backs as most, for this season anyway, thought Valencia and Young were ok last year, though they both kept cutting inside...maybe a quicker attack might help them in that regard, and I still think Shaw can do well with a run of games, its his defining season or out though.

Beginning of the window I would have liked a fullback, two centre backs, two central midfielders, a right winger and a striker with a good 8 players out, knew that wouldnt happen, but so far only two signings towards that has surprised me the other way and Pereira appears the only youngster ready at the moment to come in for one of those positions. Nowere near enough this window, but at least if we do sign Maguire it goes someway to remedying one of our major problems, also a big plus defending corners which we dont seem to have been great at often last season
Yeah, it would be an improvement but relatively marginal with regards to fighting for the title or going deep in the CL. That's where I question the ambition of the board, do we want to challenge for the top titles or just secure top 4. Pereira is a breath of fresh air and I think Jose will give him plenty of game time this season contrary to what many other posters think. I hope Shaw comes good this season but I would be surprised. Not sure Young as a left back will improve that much by having one capable central defender added. He was still slow in build up for England, the constant cutting inside. But defensively there is absolutely nothing to complain about with Young. Don't think I've ever changed my opinion on a player as much as with him. In terms of priorities the order for me would be: CB, LB, RW, CF. An extra midfielder isn't really a big need if the other positions are covered, especially with Pereira coming in.

We'll probably sign one player and get slated when we don't win titles. Another manager comes in and there won't be any revolution in terms of results.

Status
Not open for further replies.