Transfer Tweets - 2019/20 | Check the OP for blacklisted sources before posting

Status
Not open for further replies.

BlackBen

I was thinking the other day, it's getting high time there was a small statue of Conte outside Old Trafford. Nothing too ostentatious but enough to show appreciation for this deadwood-buying legend.
I’d be more than happy if we made him part time DOF so he can ship all our deadwood to Inter . Conte for DOF

HJ12

'Cultural reboot' well maybe not racism but more of Brexitsm?
I like to think of it is a culture of getting young, hungry players rather than a culture of Galactico signings. I certainly hope it's nothing to do with nationality.

manuchamp88

I’d be more than happy if we made him part time DOF so he can ship all our deadwood to Inter . Conte for DOF
You never know, if Woodward offered him a ridiculous salary he might do it. Alternatively, might as well make Inter a sister/partner/feeder club at this point.

NewGlory

United make me feel dirty. And not in a sexy way.

Why? Nobody remembers when he last played. Feels like another one of Woodward's idiotic extensions, where he is trying to have players on contract so he can sell them and recoup money paid, except there are no buyers knocking on the door. Phil Jones redux?

sincher

"I will cry if Rooney leaves"
Because he has spent the last 3 years injuried? His knees are clearly fecked. We may as well get him off the wages if he isn’t ever available.
Right so he will be back fit in the next few weeks. Big teams like Arsenal want him. But we shouldn't renew his contract. Right.

It is not the same situation as Jones.

Many decisions made at this club are dodgy but extending Bailly's contract would not be one of them.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
Right so he will be back fit in the next few weeks. Big teams like Arsenal want him. But we shouldn't renew his contract. Right.

He will get injured again before we can sell him

Judas

Open to offers

Many decisions made at this club are dodgy but extending Bailly's contract would not be one of them.
That’s quite damning of Arsenal if true.

M4YON

Think people forget he's been out so long because he had much needed surgery not because he's a sick note or that he's not been good enough.

I'd give him another year who knows he could make all the difference.

Cassidy

We will see I guess. He doesn't have a particularly bad injury record through his career and he is only 25.
He does at United. He has had several lengthy layoffs due to his knee

Kag

Why? Nobody remembers when he last played. Feels like another one of Woodward's idiotic extensions, where he is trying to have players on contract so he can sell them and recoup money paid, except there are no buyers knocking on the door. Phil Jones redux?
It’s basic economics. Wise up.

sincher

He does at United. He has had several lengthy layoffs due to his knee
Ryan Giggs also had a lot of injuries.

It may or may not be a chronic problem that is likely to recur. The club will know.

Josep Dowling

We will see I guess. He doesn't have a particularly bad injury record through his career and he is only 25.
He’s ruptured his knee ligaments twice in 3 years. That’s a pretty serious injury to have as a football player.

Cassidy

Ryan Giggs also had a lot of injuries.

It may or may not be a chronic problem that is likely to recur. The club will know.
Just like the club knew with Jones right

Teja

Why would we _not_ keep bailly if Smalling and Rojo both leave? We're not going to be signing backup center backs and full backs next summer, bigger fish to fry.

sincher

Just like the club knew with Jones right
Jones is nothing like as bad a player as you make out. Keeping him is far from the worst call we have made in recent years. Our flawed acquisitions and the massive wages spent on them are much, much worse.

Cassidy

Jones is nothing like as bad a player as you make out. Keeping him is far from the worst call we have made in recent years. Our flawed acquisitions and the massive wages spent on them are much, much worse.
Im speaking on his ability to stay fit

Josep Dowling

OK unfortunate.

So we should give him away then?
In this instance yes because he’s highly likely never to return the player he was, which was never a high level anyway. Take the loss and move on. The reason we are in our current situation is because players have out stayed their welcome and stagnanted. Player turnover is one of the biggest problems at our club. Giving an injury prone player on high wages a contract extension doesn’t mean he will get moved on. He will be like Rojo and take the huge wages whilst not playing football.

Dante

Average bang
By extending Bailly's contract, we increase his value by £20m. And assuming he gets sold in the Summer, it's not costing us anything.

£20m profit for nothing. That's why we're doing it.

Even if he isn't sold until the Summer of 2021, that's still only going to cost us £4m in a year's worth of wages, offset against £10m+ fee at that point in his career.

It's a no-brainer to extend.

NewGlory

United make me feel dirty. And not in a sexy way.
Why would we want to let him go on a free!?
To cut the losses. We are paying his salary and he is not playing. If we could sell him, we would have sold him already. What does extending by another year do? Why would we not be in the same exact position a year from now, just having payed millions in salary?

By extending Bailly's contract, we increase his value by £20m. And assuming he gets sold in the Summer, it's not costing us anything.

£20m profit for nothing. That's why we're doing it.
Or whoever wants him waits just 6 more months, until next January and still gets him for free. Chances are nobody wants to pay for him, because they will also have to pay him salary similar to what we do and it's too expensive for him, with the injury record. Also, if we play him again in the year until we sell him, and he gets injured again - he is again not sellable. Given his track record - prospects are pretty bad.

Why do you think we are geniuses and everybody else is a dumb sucker? Extending by a year doesn't have the economic effect you think it does.

Why would we _not_ keep bailly if Smalling and Rojo both leave? We're not going to be signing backup center backs and full backs next summer, bigger fish to fry.
Because - every time we play him, he plays maybe two games and gets injured for 9 months. Rinse and repeat. At some point you have to get a point, or be Woodward who pays millions for players that never play.

Last edited:

R'hllor

People really asking why shouldnt we offer new contract to Baily, guess its another makes sense moment like for Jones.

Suedesi

It’s basic economics. Wise up.
The way the bean counters look at Bailly's contract is like a financial option (call, put) that is about to expire worthless in a short of time (decaying Theta). By extending the expiration by two years, you pay a further premium, but hopefully you can exercise the contract in-the-money. As long as Sale Price > Wages given to player + Unamortised contract value then it makes sense... to the bean counters.

The fans look at it as a sicknote player who hasn't contributed much in defense is getting an extension, thus the club rewarding failure/mediocrity.

Status
Not open for further replies.