Transfer Tweets - 2021/22 | Check the OP for blacklisted sources before posting

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dante

Average bang
Ole would need to pay the club about 20m then for wasting £200m on Maguire, AWB and Sancho. Not necessarily because I think Sancho’s poor, but because he spent two summers chasing him and then seemingly not knowing what kind of player he was or which side of the pitch to use him on.

I’m fairly certain he will be one of the main beneficiaries from EtH arriving, but Ole chasing him and not knowing what he was getting was bonkers.
The negotiations and transfer fees were negotiated and signed off by Judge and Woodward.

Ole's input was to greenlight them as targets, as was the scouting team's. Though the fact Maguire was a Jose target and AWB was one of '800' potential RBs suggests that both of them were primarily being recommended by the scouting team who'd done all the identification work beforehand.

Coops73

Don’t get me wrong, seeing the string of spit on James coopers lips when he was United correspondent was enough to make heave but this Mellisa Reddy sounds like she’s reading from an autocue and not very well….spit? Autocue?….Ok I prefer Reddy.

roseguy64

Ole would need to pay the club about 20m then for wasting £200m on Maguire, AWB and Sancho. Not necessarily because I think Sancho’s poor, but because he spent two summers chasing him and then seemingly not knowing what kind of player he was or which side of the pitch to use him on.

I’m fairly certain he will be one of the main beneficiaries from EtH arriving, but Ole chasing him and not knowing what he was getting was bonkers.
Why do you think he didn't know what he was getting with Sancho?

Anustart89

The negotiations and transfer fees were negotiated and signed off by Judge and Woodward.

Ole's input was to greenlight them as targets, as was the scouting team's.
Considering the entire world knew what the respective clubs demanded for those targets, do you not think that Ole was aware of the cost of those guys (and especially in relation to the rough transfer budget that he had access to) before pressing on? Or do you reckon we signed Maguire for £80m and Ole went “feck me, was he that much????”. I mean, I’m all for the narrative that he was a bit clueless, but not that clueless.

mazhar13

Kermit Inc. 2022
Scout
Pochettino's future at PSG is still uncertain. Among the possible replacements is also Julen Lopetegui, currently at Sevilla. He is a name on the table, a name that has been talked about in recent weeks.

Dante

Average bang
Considering the entire world knew what the respective clubs demanded for those targets, do you not think that Ole was aware of the cost of those guys (and especially in relation to the rough transfer budget that he had access to) before pressing on? Or do you reckon we signed Maguire for £80m and Ole went “feck me, was he that much????”. I mean, I’m all for the narrative that he was a bit clueless, but not that clueless.
The real world doesn't work like your last game of Football Manager.

stevoc

The club were after Maguire before Ole was even hired, Mourinho wanted him.

Sancho was a winger and he was played on the wing, he played primarily off the left because Rashford was injured and Greenwood started the season in really good form on the right.

Wan Bissaka fair enough if Solskjaer was the one who pushed for him but there were lots of reports that the scouting department identified him out of 50 right backs in europe.

Anustart89

Why do you think he didn't know what he was getting with Sancho?
I think that he wanted to sign him for the right wing to nail down that position and solve the RW situation (and ST by moving greenwood central). Presumably, he expected Sancho to link up with the right back who turned out to be useless in attack, so instead shifted him to the left wing (the times he got on the pitch, and boy did he spend a surprising amount of time on the bench under Ole) and then left him to be double marked whenever the full-back didn’t make an overlapping run.

In essence, I reckon that Ole saw him as a speedy right winger who was beating defenders 1v1 for fun when in reality, his main strength is his combination play in and around the box and utilising his teammates’ runs to create openings for them or for himself. Then ended up with another primarily left sided winger and couldn’t move Greenwood up front because the right wing situation wasn’t solved.

DannyCAFC

Supports
Charlton Athletic
That may be and I'm not arguing that point. He could well be a Harry Kane type and this is his breakout season. However, he's over performing his xg by a ridiculous amount so this season is very likely to be an aberration on that front and there will be a regression. That's why I'm saying it could be a purple patch.
They'll undoubtedly be regression but there's hardly unexpected, I don't think anybody would plan on him scoring 1.1 goals p/90 in the PL...

But what's clear is he is able to get in to great goalscoring positions consistently and this isn't down to luck. The stats back that up and so does the film - the tie against Liverpool being a perfect example where he managed to find the net 4 times (although obviously only 2 counted) against maybe the best side and maybe best GK in the world. His movement was dangerous across both legs and his finishing clinical.

Good article on this/source with xG map:

https://theanalyst.com/eu/2022/04/darwin-nunez-evolution/

Anustart89

The real world doesn't work like your last game of Football Manager.
Instead of throwing strawmen my way, can you respond to the point I was making?

I’ll repeat it for you. Were the rough transfer sums for Maguire, AWB and Sancho unknown to Ole (or the public who followed the respective) transfer sagas before the players posed in United shirts?

Dante

Average bang
Instead of throwing strawmen my way, can you respond to the point I was making?

I’ll repeat it for you. Were the rough transfer sums for Maguire, AWB and Sancho unknown to Ole (or the public who followed the respective) transfer sagas before the players posed in United shirts?
You don't know what a strawman is.

Ole had no input on negotiations or money matters beyond identifying and/or greenlighting targets.

United signed Maguire because the scouting team had built a portfolio on him during Mourinho's reign. And they signed AWB because the scouting team had built a portfolio on him in comparison to 800 other RBs.

Anustart89

The club were after Maguire before Ole was even hired, Mourinho wanted him.

Sancho was a winger and he was played on the wing, he played primarily off the left because Rashford was injured and Greenwood started the season in really good form on the right.

Wan Bissaka fair enough if Solskjaer was the one who pushed for him but there were lots of reports that the scouting department identified him out of 50 right backs in europe.
And I think that Maguire under Mourinho would’ve been another story as Mourinho didn’t want to sign a slow centre half in order to play a high defensive line while simultaneously playing a goalkeeper that doesn’t leave his line. I would’ve expected Mourinho to use Maguire in a more defensive setup which would make him look much more competent, like he does for England.

Sancho was indeed a winger, but I think that Ole signed him to solve the right wing problem and expected Sancho to nail that position down while not realising he wouldn’t be beating defenders for pace and whipping crosses in from the right wing. The fact that he ended up benching, or playing his RW signing on the LW, is my point.

With regards to AWB, it was reported that he was the standout candidate among 800 scouted right backs, but again my point was that we knew that he would cost £50m to buy from palace, but that we negotiated away the removal of the Zaha sell-on clause which Palace initially insisted on. Knowing that he would cost £50m, should they really have pressed on with the signing given his limitations which must have come up during the thorough scouting process? Ole always said he had the last word on any incomings and outgoings. And if they didn’t, meaning that the scouts at Manchester United didn’t notice how poor AWB was at controlling a football despite a revamped scouting process, why were they still in their jobs up until very recently?

Anustart89

You don't know what a strawman is.

Ole had no input on negotiations or money matters beyond identifying and/or greenlighting targets.
Still not answering my question. Was Ole aware of how much of his rough transfer budget would be spent on Maguire, AWB or Sancho before the signings were completed? Could he have said, hmm if Leicester want £80m for Maguire I think I’m better off signing two players given the not unlimited transfer budget?

For example, if EtH is told he has roughly £140m to spend this summer, does he push hard for De Jong, N’Kunku and Nuñez and then blame the board for not getting him six players like he wanted?

Dante

Average bang
And I think that Maguire under Mourinho would’ve been another story as Mourinho didn’t want to sign a slow centre half in order to play a high defensive line while simultaneously playing a goalkeeper that doesn’t leave his line. I would’ve expected Mourinho to use Maguire in a more defensive setup which would make him look much more competent, like he does for England.

Sancho was indeed a winger, but I think that Ole signed him to solve the right wing problem and expected Sancho to nail that position down while not realising he wouldn’t be beating defenders for pace and whipping crosses in from the right wing. The fact that he ended up benching, or playing his RW signing on the LW, is my point.

With regards to AWB, it was reported that he was the standout candidate among 800 scouted right backs, but again my point was that we knew that he would cost £50m to buy from palace, but that we negotiated away the removal of the Zaha sell-on clause which Palace initially insisted on. Knowing that he would cost £50m, should they really have pressed on with the signing given his limitations which must have come up during the thorough scouting process? Ole always said he had the last word on any incomings and outgoings. And if they didn’t, meaning that the scouts at Manchester United didn’t notice how poor AWB was at controlling a football despite a revamped scouting process, why were they still in their jobs up until very recently?
That's what Ole did for 2 seasons when we finished 2nd and 3rd.

Dante

Average bang
Still not answering my question. Was Ole aware of how much of his rough transfer budget would be spent on Maguire, AWB or Sancho before the signings were completed?
No. That wasn't his job. Read what I posted.

United didn't replace Mourinho with a less experienced manager only to give that less experienced manager an upgraded amount of decision making power.

United under the Woodward regime was financially controlled by Woodward. Hence the fact he gave contract extensions to players to preserve their value rather than sell them like both of our last two managers wanted.

Anustart89

That's what Ole did for 2 seasons when we finished 2nd and 3rd.
Against the big teams, yeah. But we were badly exposed defensively against teams that just sat back and let us attack them. We won a bunch of games that we had no right to win and there are tons of threads from the period of all the comebacks that will attest to this.

Red_toad

Still not answering my question. Was Ole aware of how much of his rough transfer budget would be spent on Maguire, AWB or Sancho before the signings were completed?
Why’s are you asking a random on the Caf? I mean if you expect an informed answer you’d need to ask Ole himself!
Ole possibly was aware, or maybe he want who knows. But can’t change the past.

Anustart89

No. That wasn't his job. Read what I posted.

United didn't replace Mourinho with a less experienced manager only to give that less experienced manager an upgraded amount of decision making power.

United under the Woodward regime was financially controlled by Woodward. Hence the fact he gave contract extensions to players to preserve their value rather than sell them like both of our last two managers wanted.
You intentionally misrepresented my post where I said that he wasted £200m on three players that a) weren’t suited for the football he intended to play, or b) didn’t know what to do with them, to say that I suggested that he negotiated the transfer fees. That’s the straw man argument you’re pulling here.

What I am saying, in case you actually wanted to argue with my point rather than trying to score points by bringing FM into the argument, is that Ole was aware of how much those targets would cost the club when he was greenlighting and/or pushing for them as targets.

Anustart89

Why’s are you asking a random on the Caf? I mean if you expect an informed answer you’d need to ask Ole himself!
Ole possibly was aware, or maybe he want who knows. But can’t change the past.
I’m asking because the answer is obvious, considering that us caftards knew the rough sums that the players would go for. We knew that when Palace asked for £50m and removal of tha Zaha sell-on clause that he wouldn’t end up costing £15m yeah? So at that point one really should’ve stopped and asked “okay, is this guy, with all his deficiencies, really worth £50m?”. I’m assuming that they asked themselves that question and answered it with a yes, thereby severely misjudging the ability of the player in question. Which is why my initial point was that 200m was wasted on those three guys by ole insisting on pushing through with those transfers despite knowing roughly how much they’d cost.

ti vu

IMO, it's a wrong choice if PSG goes for Lopetegui. Does not look like he's good fit for high profile job. He can coach very well, but seems like he failed at all the jobs with high demand.

Chairman Steve

Are Juve really that hard up for cash? They’re like the mate who never buys their round of drinks on a night out and somehow finds a way to either escape it completely or found a way around it but at no real cost to them.

mazhar13

Kermit Inc. 2022
Scout
Official: Stuttgart sign centre back Konstantinos Mavropanos permanently from Arsenal.

Mavropanos's permanent transfer was automatically triggered when Stuttgart secured their survival in the Bundesliga. He's committing to a 3-year contract.

stevoc

No I got the point you were trying to make. But there was context to why he barely got a run out on the RW under Ole.

A new player adapting to a new league, struggling for form, Greenwood playing well on the right and Rashford being injured for the first 3 months and Jadon being needed on the left all lead to him barely playing on the right.

If the season hadn't went tits up and Solskjaer hadn't been sacked I'm sure Sancho would have been deployed primarily on the right from November onwards.

mazhar13

Kermit Inc. 2022
Scout
Umtiti is studying the options, has not made any decision and would accept either a loan or a transfer to benefit the club.
  • Umtiti will leave Barcelona this summer.
  • Rumours were spreading about Serie A clubs and Arsenal being interested, but those don't amount to much.
    • Lyon was the club most interested in signing Umtiti.

bucky

Official: Stuttgart sign centre back Konstantinos Mavropanos permanently from Arsenal.

Mavropanos's permanent transfer was automatically triggered when Stuttgart secured their survival in the Bundesliga. He's committing to a 3-year contract.
I don't get this at all from Arsenal's persepective. Less than 3m for him. By all accounts he has been good for Stuttgart. If they do the same with Saliba, there is a good chance they have given up better centre-backs than the ones they have.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff

Myth. He’s not poor at controlling a ball. He’s poor at choosing the right option and poor at crossing the ball (talking offensively only)

Anustart89

Myth. He’s not poor at controlling a ball. He’s poor at choosing the right option and poor at crossing the ball (talking offensively only)
Disagree in the sense that I consider controlling the ball not only to include the distance the ball travels once it makes contact with your foot (ie Lukakuitis), but also the ability to take the ball in your stride and keep running in your preferred direction with it as you control it. AWB always waits for the ball to arrive while facing the centre of the pitch and then does that very obvious outside of the boot touch to send the ball along the touchline to run at it instead of doing both those things in one touch. It’s a very obvious difference between him and Dalot and leads to loss of momentum in our transitions when the ball goes to AWB.

If you don’t agree with that notion or don’t consider that as part of “controlling the ball” then let’s agree to disagree, but for me that’s one of my main gripes with his ball control, that he can’t pick his direction with his first touch and consequently gives his marker more time to adjust and reset before he’s actually moving forward with the ball.

BlueHaze

Yeah right, Darwin rejects a move from Benfica to Man United because he wants CL. Such rubbish journalism. We will never go in for him at the price they demand anyway.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
I don't get this at all from Arsenal's persepective. Less than 3m for him. By all accounts he has been good for Stuttgart. If they do the same with Saliba, there is a good chance they have given up better centre-backs than the ones they have.
It's the Arsenal way. Did the same with Martinez.

I really don't understand what Artetas problem was with Saliba, surely they didn't need to go and spend 50m on Ben White with him on the books. Utterly bizarre.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
It's a buy option from a loan deal negotiated two years ago, when Mavropanos was a 22 year old 2nd division player.

RedChisel

Strange move for Pogba to turn down more money and better chances of trophies in his home city to go back to Juve. Obviously has his reasons.

Status
Not open for further replies.