Transfer Tweets - 2021/22 | Check the OP for blacklisted sources before posting

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tarrou

It's just amortization. Common practice. United have still spent 120 million on those two. Which is fine.
its not amortisation, that is an accounting term for how the assets are accounted for

this is how the payments are structured

Harry190

Bobby ten Hag
its not amortisation, that is an accounting term for how the assets are accounted for

this is how the payments are structured
Which payments? For Sancho? I do not have access to the full article. I just assumed they were talking about how it shows on the books for the purposes of financial fair play.

CG1010

Our teams do not play for a little while, but we would appreciate you starting Phil against us!

Barring a massive injury crisis to our CBs and to even makeshift CBs like Mctominay, Shaw, Bruno*.. I don't see Jones starting a match of any importance for us. Maybe if we have already topped our CL group and have an away game?

If he does end up playing against you, I can see couple of injuries to your forward line so be clear on what you wish for!

(*) - that man can play anywhere on the pitch

NotThatSoph

Ah ok. So what's the benefit of doing that? If as you say in this example United paid Leicester the full 80 million upfront, why list it in the accounts as installments?
It's how accounting is done, it's not a football thing. If you buy a player for £100m that's not a loss, it's the exchange of £100m in cash for an asset with a £100m market value.

It's a bit weird in this business because we're talking about human beings. If a company spends £100m on machinery, then once again that's not a loss. You have less money but more stuff that's worth money. If that machinery has an economic life of 10 years, then accounting wise it loses £10m of value each year (after 5 years it's worth £50m, after 10 year it's worth nothing). With footballers the duration of the contract is used, because naturally when the contract is up the player has no economic value to the club as they can go for free to wherever they like.

Or, maybe this is a better way to explain it: If you go crazy at the bookies then that money is gone. You've spent a lot of money and got nothing back, you're poorer. If you spend that money on a house instead, then you've still got a lot less money and probably a sizable loan, but you're not poorer. You've got a house!

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
Our teams do not play for a little while, but we would appreciate you starting Phil against us!

Fair, only if you promise to start Bakayoko and Drinkwater against us.

Ayoba

Poster of Noncense.
It's how accounting is done, it's not a football thing. If you buy a player for £100m that's not a loss, it's the exchange of £100m in cash for an asset with a £100m market value.

It's a bit weird in this business because we're talking about human beings. If a company spends £100m on machinery, then once again that's not a loss. You have less money but more stuff that's worth money. If that machinery has an economic life of 10 years, then accounting wise it loses £10m of value each year (after 5 years it's worth £50m, after 10 year it's worth nothing). With footballers the duration of the contract is used, because naturally when the contract is up the player has no economic value to the club as they can go for free to wherever they like.

Or, maybe this is a better way to explain it: If you go crazy at the bookies then that money is gone. You've spent a lot of money and got nothing back, you're poorer. If you spend that money on a house instead, then you've still got a lot less money and probably a sizable loan, but you're not poorer. You've got a house!
Thank you that's helpful!

SamMank_86

Sounds like Phil could finally be getting back to fitness and this is the classic ploy of releasing some positive statements to drum up potential interest for a sale / release.

RUCK4444

Sounds like Phil could finally be getting back to fitness and this is the classic ploy of releasing some positive statements to drum up potential interest for a sale / release.
Ain’t nobody spending good money on Phil so he can warm their bench.

He’s actually not a terrible player just self destructive and permanently injured, teams will be more careful with their money.

He would have to show a good half a seasons fitness playing in the PL for teams to become interested and I hope to god we aren’t remotely thinking of providing him that game time, so if he moves it would be for next to nothing, I’d still be happy with that though to get him off the books and let him try to get some game time elsewhere before his career ends.

RUCK4444

Yeah in my business we store a lot of old battered goods in our facility for long term customers, the goods are ancient and do nothing but help serve to prop up the balance sheets for the owners because they are classed as assets.

Edit: Perhaps this is what we are doing with Phil Jones. Keeping a dusty old Jones locked away in the store room just to keep him on the list of company 'assets.'

Last edited:

Alemar

And what could realistically be the role of a 5th CB? Our captain always plays, Varane will likely play a lot too… Even Lindelof may only hope for limited game time - so Jones is en route to getting on the bench in easier League cup games perhaps?

ehsanul

Bestower of favours
Yeah in my business we store a lot of old battered goods in our facility for long term customers, the goods are ancient and do nothing but help serve to prop up the balance sheets for the owners because they are classed as assets.
Its because we have a partnership agreement with Unicef so thats why we believe in charity and thats why we are willing to keep those ancient players .

sourdough satellite

Does amortization mean paying something back in instalments? I've googled it but my simple mind struggles to comprehend what exactly amortization is :(
For the purposes of player signings, it means taking the transfer fee, adding the total salary the player will receive according to the contract then dividing it by the number of years on the contract, basically spreading the total cost over multiple years. So as an example, you buy a player for 20m then give him a 5 year 2m per year contract which add together is 30m. Divide it by 5 you get 6m per year.

Blood Mage

I think Jones knows his career is over. He's here to squeeze as much money out of United as he can until his contract expires then I honestly think he'll consider early retirement.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
So that's around £70m or so raised between Odegaard and Varane, plus whatever Ramos was on off the wage packet. Decent enough outgoings in the current market, but I'm sure they were hoping to chuck more away.

Status
Not open for further replies.