Transfer Tweets - Manchester United - 2022/23 | Follow the OP rules and check the quality of your sources before posting. STAY ON TOPIC!

Status
Not open for further replies.

lysglimt

Scout
No thanks to Tielemans.
Actually agree - I just can't see what he offers that is so spectacular. He is a good all-round midfielder, but he is not a great all-round midfielder - which is what we need. He is not very good defensively, he doesn't score a lot of goals, he is not very creative. Ironically Neves and Tielemans are the same age - have played almost the same amount of matches, scored the same amount of goals. The only difference is that Tielemans has 7 more assists than Neves. And even if they would strengthen us - none of them are in my opinion good enough to take us where we should be. They are at least 2 levels below de Jong

mazhar13

Kermit Inc. 2022
Scout
Thanks to @Rolaholic and @RkkMan in the Frenkie de Jong thread:

Key points:

More:
  • (Missing from the centredevils Tweet) Barcelona took a similar approach to signing de Jong from Ajax back in 2019.
  • Barcelona hoped for other, more preferred suitors for de Jong (i.e. the CL clubs), but none of them have come as far as United have in meeting Barcelona's demands.

Dante

Average bang
We've heard nothing new about the De Jong situation for about 3 weeks now.

I bet it won't get resolved until the last day of the window when somebody gets desperate enough to break the deadlock.

mazhar13

Kermit Inc. 2022
Scout

I bet it won't get resolved until the last day of the window when somebody gets desperate enough to break the deadlock.
For the most part, that's true, but the particular bit from Melissa about Frenkie telling ten Hag that he wants to work with him again is kind of a nice re-emphasis/revelation (depending on which way you look at this transfer saga).

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.

What's the solution though, to just give Barca the money to pay the deferred wages?

Dante

Average bang
What's the solution though, to just give Barca the money to pay the deferred wages?
I can only guess. But when things come to a head, somebody will have to make the next move. Most likely it'll be on the Barca side, but possibly also on the player side.

The reason there's been no progress recently is because Barcelona have nothing to lose and £17m to gain by waiting to see if FdJ will blink first. I'm fairly certain he won't, though, because he seems to have the legal advantage. Though if his club can somehow conjure up with a way to afford to keep him for next season, that's probably what will happen.

Either way, it's a game of chicken that'll carry on until the end of the window. That'll be when Barca have to finally accept they need to make a decision. Their accountants will be the ones who have the final say and they're seemingly working to a September deadline.

GreatDane

That would be annoying for us fans as we want to close deals, but from a team perspective it would not matter much as Frenkie would slide right into Ten Hags tactics.
Would like to have this saga done with personally.

sparx99

I can only guess. But when things come to a head, somebody will have to make the next move. Most likely it'll be on the Barca side, but possibly also on the player side.

The reason there's been no progress recently is because Barcelona have nothing to lose and £17m to gain by waiting to see if FdJ will blink first. I'm fairly certain he won't, though, because he seems to have the legal advantage. Though if his club can somehow conjure up with a way to afford to keep him for next season, that's probably what will happen.

Either way, it's a game of chicken that'll carry on until the end of the window. That'll be when Barca have to finally accept they need to make a decision. Their accountants will be the ones who have the final say and they're seemingly working to a September deadline.
If Frenkie was to leave without agreement on the wages he would have a straightforward legal case but maybe doesn't want the hassle of taking Barca to court. It's pretty outrageouse that they've signed Lewandowski et al without settling debts with current players though.

P-Nut

fan of well-known French footballer Fabinho
If Frenkie was to leave without agreement on the wages he would have a straightforward legal case but maybe doesn't want the hassle of taking Barca to court. It's pretty outrageouse that they've signed Lewandowski et al without settling debts with current players though.
It seems as though he renegotiated his contract to be paid a lower amount early in the contract and a higher amount later, if it never reaches that date then Barcelona will see it as not having to pay it him, and legally they'll be right. The leverage Frenkie has is knowing Barcelona can't afford his full wages so they'd be better off paying him the 17m instead of the 80m if the contract was to run its course

BuzzKillington

I’d piss myself if FdJ went to Chelsea and just ended up being competent to average like Kovacic & Jorginho. The muppetting over him, for his actual level of ability, has been cringeworthy.

sparx99

It seems as though he renegotiated his contract to be paid a lower amount early in the contract and a higher amount later, if it never reaches that date then Barcelona will see it as not having to pay it him, and legally they'll be right. The leverage Frenkie has is knowing Barcelona can't afford his full wages so they'd be better off paying him the 17m instead of the 80m if the contract was to run its course
Right. That makes sense.

I can’t quite believe the players union etc allowed those deals. Or at least didn’t have transfer clauses that stated the original contract value is owed if the player is transferred (pro-rated).

croadyman

Yeah starting to think this really is going to rumble on until the last hours of the window. Barca don't want to pay up and Utd rightfully aren't willing to foot the bill to make it happen quicker either.

Kramer

Of course not.

Barca will blink first. They need to offload him to register players. His wages will be massive next year. Not to mention the 85 Mn euros they will get from us.

Barca will run a smear campaign through their media outlets to force him to exit so they don’t have to pay anything. But I think De Jong and his agent will stay put and rightly so. They’ve got Barca by the balls.

redcucumber

Of course not.

Barca will blink first. They need to offload him to register players. His wages will be massive next year. Not to mention the 85 Mn euros they will get from us.

Barca will run a smear campaign through their media outlets to force him to exit so they don’t have to pay anything. But I think De Jong and his agent will stay put and rightly so. They’ve got Barca by the balls.
Haven't they already pulled one of their magic levers to register new signings?

TheReligion

Abusive
Haven't they already pulled one of their magic levers to register new signings?
Yep but keeping De Jong on his current wages isn’t possible for them and they are under strict scrutiny with FFP.

If he stays he needs to reduce his wage by signing another new contract. He doesn’t want to do that or else he would have done so by now.

It’s all about who blinks first over the deferred wages.

redcucumber

Yep but keeping De Jong on his current wages isn’t possible for them and they are under strict scrutiny with FFP.

If he stays he needs to reduce his wage by signing another new contract. He doesn’t want to do that or else he would have done so by now.

It’s all about who blinks first over the deferred wages.
Interesting. Is there consensus over the likely outcome of events? Will Barca eventually cough up the $17m? Meet in the middle with De Jong? Will we kick something extra in? Barca really are a fecking mess of a club. And everyone thinks we're bad!

SamMank_86

Given how Barca do business, there'll be a brown envelope sitting in an offshore account for Frenkie to accept instead of the full 17m at some point. As others have already pointed out, it isn't feasible for him to stay at Barca on his current contract

TheReligion

Abusive
Interesting. Is there consensus over the likely outcome of events? Will Barca eventually cough up the $17m? Meet in the middle with De Jong? Will we kick something extra in? Barca really are a fecking mess of a club. And everyone thinks we're bad!
I’ve no idea. To be honest I’m not hopeful it will go though as it dragged badly. That said when you look at the issue I also can’t see he remains with nothing changing.

Logically it would seem like Barca will pay De Jong when the lever activates and get rid of him. Potentially that’s what Frenkie has been standing firm on.

If that’s the case we should hear something in the next few days.

jderbyshire

Has anybody seen my fleshlight?

I have read this article 3 times now and still can’t find the player included in this “swap deal” - shocking article
Me too! I was scouring it over and over again.

There's no mention of a swap at all!

Loony BoB

Indeed, tier 5 banned media outlet on the first post. UnitedSofa's post has been deleted so a mod (or the users) can probably delete their quotes of him as they're still showing and dragging the conversation on.

Ted Lasso

Read somewhere that Barca stand to make €50M from selling to us or losing €17M plus another large sum from the third revenue share by keeping Frenkie.

He came under a fair bit of scrutiny and criticism for his performances and impact last season, so there isn't a burning need for Barca to keep him from the football side either with the emergence of their youngsters.

In a World Cup year, one where LVG is adamant about players being regulars for their clubs, can Frenkie risk it to stay if United don't pay up the difference in wages owed?

Bestie07

Read somewhere that Barca stand to make €50M from selling to us or losing €17M plus another large sum from the third revenue share by keeping Frenkie.

He came under a fair bit of scrutiny and criticism for his performances and impact last season, so there isn't a burning need for Barca to keep him from the football side either with the emergence of their youngsters.

In a World Cup year, one where LVG is adamant about players being regulars for their clubs, can Frenkie risk it to stay if United don't pay up the difference in wages owed?
I don't think his position in the Dutch NT is under any threat at all, irrespective of what happens between now and the world cup. They don't have as many options in the middle as they do at the back.

hellhunter

Eurofighter
Supports
Karlsruher SC
I don't think his position in the Dutch NT is under any threat at all, irrespective of what happens between now and the world cup. They don't have as many options in the middle as they do at the back.
Options aside, he's their best player together with VVD

mazhar13

Kermit Inc. 2022
Scout

Source: L'Équipe (Loïc Tanzi)

• Other interested clubs:
    • Chelsea
    • Atletico Madrid
    • Juventus
  • Pavard wants to play more regularly as a centre back, and he's putting further thought to his future as a result.
  • A contract renewal is also possible for Pavard.
  • Transfer value: €35m

Status
Not open for further replies.