g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

Transfer Tweets - Manchester United - 2022/23 | Follow the OP rules and check the quality of your sources before posting. STAY ON TOPIC!

Status
Not open for further replies.

dinostar77

Maguire was solid for us for 2 seasons until he completely lost it last year - as well as everyone lost. Let's not make it sound like he has been awful for 3 years
Hes been awful. No pace, no recovery pace. No posiitonal sense. No leadership. What redeeming qualities does he have? The scouts who recommended him should have been fired.

dinostar77

You'd have to be deluded to suggest that maguire is making the team better compared to lindelöf, especially in a context where ETH would expect his team to press high. However, If you brits haven't seen it yet I don't think you ever will. If he wasn't the captain he'd already be out, and can't wait for him to be left out the starting XL unless we start playing three at the back.
You cant play a high block with maguire, so i agree with your post. Hes just too slow on the turn and has no pace. I think he would do well in a back 3 at chelsea or in serieA or abteam that plays a low defensive block. But for ETH tactics, hes a disaster.

Alemar

Today's date needs threadmark.

Signed Casemiro
Strong rumour about Maguire
String rumour about McTominay
Positive things regarding Antony

Best transfer day this summer
There is more: strong rumour of Bailly sale nearing completion as well

AFC NimbleThumb

Maguire was solid for us for 2 seasons until he completely lost it last year - as well as everyone lost. Let's not make it sound like he has been awful for 3 years
Another fallacy, he was crap in Project Restart & started the following season terribly, he’s never been consistently solid.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Yep. Bearing in mind the whole cafe whinged about Lindelof for years meaning we had to buy Maguire, it's daft to claim Lindo is better now.

He's the world's least physical 6 ft 2 centre back.
Maguire did drop off a cliff last year though and doesn't suit what we're trying to do.
But that certainly doesn't make Lindelof any sort of answer.

The risk in selling Maguire is it leaves us with Varane who hasn't shown he can play enough, and Martinez who will get abused by anyone tall or fast.

Ayoba

Poster of Noncense.
Maguire's a decent player but his confidence is completely shot, especially when he plays for man utd. I think it's best for both parties that he leaves and gets a new start somewhere, I just don't think he can recover his form with us, plus the fanbase is so toxic with him.

Donut

As much as Maguire has been poor I don’t think we can afford to sell him with Varane being consistently injured, Martinez potentially crap, Bailly leaving.

NotoriousISSY

$10mil and I fecked it up!
Hes been awful. No pace, no recovery pace. No posiitonal sense. No leadership. What redeeming qualities does he have? The scouts who recommended him should have been fired.
Those who signed him for £80m in 2019 rather than £15m in 2017 are probably all gone now.

If he'd come in as a £15m player fresh from Hull it definitely wouldn't be this sour.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
Those who signed him for £80m in 2019 rather than £15m in 2017 are probably all gone now.

If he'd come in as a £15m player fresh from Hull it definitely wouldn't be this sour.
Weren't City interested as well. At that time it seemed to be more about getting one over City rather than good judgement. The fact Jose wanted him, but no they wouldn't sign him then. I am sure they also did it to p*** him off.

Oaencha

I may be wrong here but Maguire hasn’t been the same since that arrest in Greece. He was never that amazing; especially for 80m but he definitely got worse after that.

Krits

Who do we have if Maguire leaves? I mean, I'm not his biggest fan, but him leaving without someone class coming in will be a big issue.

Catalandevil

Who do we have if Maguire leaves? I mean, I'm not his biggest fan, but him leaving without someone class coming in will be a big issue.
We have enough CB as to afford losing one of them. Plus now we have a top DM. It should not be an issue and chances are that at the end of the season the starters CB are Varane and Martinez.

lysglimt

Scout
Another fallacy, he was crap in Project Restart & started the following season terribly, he’s never been consistently solid.
Everyone started the next season terribly - because we had the shortest break of every team in the P.L - and Maguire in addition had his issues in Greece. But after those initial 3 awful games - we conceded 33 goals in 35 matches - and Maguire was generally solid in those games. The season before, Maguire started all 38 games and we conceded 36 goals which was almost at the same level as City and Liverpool - so your criticism of him is just stupid

iato89

Maguire will never be a world class defender let alone a Man Utd level defender, if an offer comes bite their hands off!!

Krits

We have enough CB as to afford losing one of them. Plus now we have a top DM. It should not be an issue and chances are that at the end of the season the starters CB are Varane and Martinez.
We have Varane, who hasn't been reliable injury wise. His performances haven't been amazing either. He MIGHT come good, but its a might. We have Lindelof, who next to Martinez would be hilarious. Then we have Martinez. Can't pin your hopes of the season on someone who hasn't proved he can cut in the EPL yet.

Eric, though I love the mad bugger, again can not be relied upon. So yeah, we don't have options.

Suv666

If we get Antony and a RB then it'll be a relatively decent window.

Ideally we should sell Ronaldo get a striker and also a CM to pair Casemiro but that's not happening.

JB7

I may be wrong here but Maguire hasn’t been the same since that arrest in Greece. He was never that amazing; especially for 80m but he definitely got worse after that.
Literally had his best spell in a United shirt at the back end of the season after the arrest.

Ralph1386

Ideally we should sell Ronaldo get a striker and also a CM to pair Casemiro but that's not happening.
Are we seriously linked with any RB?

AFC NimbleThumb

Everyone started the next season terribly - because we had the shortest break of every team in the P.L - and Maguire in addition had his issues in Greece. But after those initial 3 awful games - we conceded 33 goals in 35 matches - and Maguire was generally solid in those games. The season before, Maguire started all 38 games and we conceded 36 goals which was almost at the same level as City and Liverpool - so your criticism of him is just stupid
Using the defence ‘everyone’ started the season terribly then ending on the word stupid sums that post up perfectly. Poor lad got himself arrested in Greece & I’ve not heard the end of it; it’s almost as if he’s the only footballer to experience off field issues. Excuses FC you lad, we’ve seen exactly what Maguire is when crowds are in but yes let’s extrapolate games behind closed doors across his entire faltering United career.

croadyman

Still think a CM is possible but no idea who

Blood Mage

Maguire was very good when we played in a low block. He's been useless since we transitioned to a high line which is understandable as he's just too slow.

sparx99

Tuanzebe is still here. Such a shame his career has stalled after his championship loan. He’s got the physique and pace to actually play Ten Hag’s style.

Smores

Neither City or Liverpool played in a low block so your point doesn't stand up to scrutiny. As a team a low block trades goals for defence which is why we generally don't laud CBs who play for lower table defensive teams.

Even in those seasons we witnessed the same type of weaknesses in his game he was just less exposed as the setup was defensive.

jamesjimmybyrondean

I hope we get another midfielder. Just going off Ten Hags 2018 and 2021 Ajax midfield set up, we still need to get one more midfielder. Either to play the De Jong 'connector' role or Gravenberch 'creative box to box' role. We don't have the players in the squad capable of playing any of these roles

Kill 'em all

Pastor of Muppets
I hope we get another midfielder. Just going off Ten Hags 2018 and 2021 Ajax midfield set up, we still need to get one more midfielder. Either to play the De Jong 'connector' role or Gravenberch 'creative box to box' role. We don't have the players in the squad capable of playing any of these roles
Get Sergej Milinkovic Savic to play box-to-box and we're sorted. :drool:

JB7

I said I may be wrong but was he ever an 80m defender?
Probably not but it’s ridiculous using the fee as a stick to beat him with multiple years later as if he had any control over it.

TsuWave

He absolutely was in the season where we finished second. Revisionism to suggest otherwise.
I mean, post history on this forum is available to all. My thoughts on Maguire have never wavered. Maybe what others consider "very good" is not what I consider very good?

"b-b-but how did we finish second then?" we were still shite - Maguire included - as was the rest of the league - 19 points difference between first and second placed teams.

either way, Maguire and "very good", to me, is fiction.

Status
Not open for further replies.