Transfer Tweets - Manchester United - 2022/23 | Follow the OP rules and check the quality of your sources before posting. STAY ON TOPIC!

Status
Not open for further replies.

svernon86

why is it that we keep buying players from other leagues? why dont we go back to buying proven premier league players like we used to?? there are some really good players that consistently play well for teams they are to good for and i think would relish the chance of playing for us at united or any top team
A. Mitrovic J. Maddison Son Heung-min P. Coutinho R. Neves A.S- Maximin and thats only a few of the i could name

Dannn411

why is it that we keep buying players from other leagues? why dont we go back to buying proven premier league players like we used to?? there are some really good players that consistently play well for teams they are to good for and i think would relish the chance of playing for us at united or any top team
A. Mitrovic J. Maddison Son Heung-min P. Coutinho R. Neves A.S- Maximin and thats only a few of the i could name
PL players are too expensive. All those players clubs will be demanding at least £70m for their players. It simply is not sustainable.

As I look at it, with the way the market is going, the only sustainable way to approach the market these days is to identify talent before they blossom, sign them for cut prices and give them the playing time and opportunity to shine. Any other way will result in us spending £300m every summer.

JoeyJoJoJrShabadoo

80 mill in the Prem gets you Harry Maguire

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
Of those only Maddison would be worth taking a punt on until you realise his price tag would be 100m

Mitrovic has flopped hard every time he's been in the PL up until this season
Son due to his recently signed contract would cost a stupid amount of money, plays in a position we're well stacked in and has had an awful 12 months
Coutinho :lol::lol::lol:
Neves maybe but not convinced
Saint-Maximin can't even get a game for Newcastle these days

Dazzmondo

Those are all horrible suggestions. The answer is because PL players are all overpriced because no PL clubs need to sell players.

Gavinb33

Coutinho? Really in 2023

Nero

Coutinho?

You didn't say that, tell me you did not just say that.

simonhch

Horrible boss
Supports
Urban Combat Preparedness
That would have worked in 2005, but it's 2023, the entire economic environment in the PL is different now. Ten or fifteen years ago United could essentially "bully" other English clubs into selling their best players because they needed the money, and from the player's perspective they had an near monopoly on trophies. United could also afford to pay them double, triple or quadruple what their current clubs could. So combining the smaller clubs difficulty in turning down a big bid, and the players desire to move for economic and sporting reasons, it meant United largely had their pick of the league's best.

Now, however, you are looking at a league where even the mid and lower table sides have huge economic resources as a result of the massive domestic and global TV deals. They are not only able to resist large bids for their players, but they are also able to pay their key players a much more competitive salary. Not United levels, but the disparity is nowhere near what it was. In 2006 United signed Tottenham's key midfielder, Michael Carrick, in an 18.6M deal. That could never happen today. Not only would Tottenham be reticent to sell to a club that they see as a rival for a top four spot, but they have the finance to resist any bid we put in. Carrick today, to prise from Tottenham, would cost 80-100m at least. Just look at the prices quoted for Declan Rice from West Ham, an inferior player to Carrick,....100-150m. The players you mentioned would all cost massive fees, and virtually none of those you mentioned would be worth it.

On your list, which bizarrely includes Phillipe Coutinho, only probably Mitrovic, and maybe Maddison, would improve us. Mitrovic would probably cost 80M+, and Maddision 60-70M at least. That is why we look abroad. It is possible to still find clubs on the continent that cannot resist decent fees for players, because they depend on the income from sales. It's our old domestic transfer strategy outsourced.

V.O.

Last Man Standing finalist 2019/20
Half of the stuff posted by that mufcmpb account is made up bollocks that was never said by whoever they've attributed it to. Stop posting it.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
Two years ago I thought Tielemans was a decent player that would improve us. Now, however, I am very much not sure. He has a skill set, but has largely looked awful and lightweight the last 18mos. I don't know how much of that is down to the atmosphere at the club, and the manager. If he was very cheap, I could see him being a decent squad option to rotate with Eriksen in easier games, but I am very skeptical of this.
To be fair, Leicester is not a good place to be right now. There's no one that's playing well, their confidence is rock bottom, injury list is constantly growing and no money seems to be getting spent.

That being said, he would have to improve his effort levels significantly to fit in our current squad. He would be replacing Eriksen in the system - so he doesn't need to be Fred levels of pressing, but he needs to be more than he's currently showing.

mazhar13

Kermit Inc. 2022
Scout
Half of the stuff posted by that mufcmpb account is made up bollocks that was never said by whoever they've attributed it to. Stop posting it.
Exactly. He's banned on the Caf, yet his Tweets still seem to get posted in here on rare occasions.

simonhch

Horrible boss
Supports
Urban Combat Preparedness
To be fair, Leicester is not a good place to be right now. There's no one that's playing well, their confidence is rock bottom, injury list is constantly growing and no money seems to be getting spent.

That being said, he would have to improve his effort levels significantly to fit in our current squad. He would be replacing Eriksen in the system - so he doesn't need to be Fred levels of pressing, but he needs to be more than he's currently showing.
I agree completely, that's why I put the proviso about how much of his form is down to the atmosphere in the club and the manager. One thing we have seen from Ten Hag is that he can get a tune out of even the most written off of prospects. Just look at the performance of Wan-Bissaka against City. A player completely written off and discarded by fans, but suddenly a really viable and useful player at right back. I have seen enough from Tielemans in the past to know that he is capable of much better than he is currently showing, and with intense coaching from Ten Hag and co., he could become quite the player. I also noted that he would be rotating with Eriksen, so we are in agreement there.

He is out of contract in June, so feasibly he could be signed on a heavily reduced fee. I guess it depends on whether Leicester will play ball or not. And how crucial they see him in their potential relegation fight.

Given our financial restrictions right now, he may be the best option available to add depth to the midfield.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
I agree completely, that's why I put the proviso about how much of his form is down to the atmosphere in the club and the manager. One thing we have seen from Ten Hag is that he can get a tune out of even the most written off of prospects. Just look at the performance of Wan-Bissaka against City. A player completely written off and discarded by fans, but suddenly a really viable and useful player at right back. I have seen enough from Tielemans in the past to know that he is capable of much better than he is currently showing, and with intense coaching from Ten Hag and co., he could become quite the player. I also noted that he would be rotating with Eriksen, so we are in agreement there.

He is out of contract in June, so feasibly he could be signed on a heavily reduced fee. I guess it depends on whether Leicester will play ball or not. And how crucial they see him in their potential relegation fight.

Given our financial restrictions right now, he may be the best option available to add depth to the midfield.
Think we're in agreement on his quality and position in our system and I agree with you on someone like Ten Hag could potentially eek out that extra bit out of him.

Leicester definitely need money, I think they're interested in Ounahi (Napoli have only bid 15m euros so far), so if it could potentially fund a move like that - they'd be open to it I think.

mazhar13

Kermit Inc. 2022
Scout
Think we're in agreement on his quality and position in our system and I agree with you on someone like Ten Hag could potentially eek out that extra bit out of him.

Leicester definitely need money, I think they're interested in Ounahi (Napoli have only bid 15m euros so far), so if it could potentially fund a move like that - they'd be open to it I think.
They are monitoring Ounahi's situation, but they aren't as interested or as far ahead as both Leeds and Napoli.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
They are monitoring Ounahi's situation, but they aren't as interested or as far ahead as both Leeds and Napoli.
They were supposed to be wrapping up Gonzalez, but looks like that's dead in the water now, so I could see them switch quite quickly to him.

mazhar13

Kermit Inc. 2022
Scout
They were supposed to be wrapping up Gonzalez, but looks like that's dead in the water now, so I could see them switch quite quickly to him.
That's right. We'll see how the situation develops. What helps Leicester a bit is the fact that Ounahi himself has no particular preference for a club.

pascell

That's right. We'll see how the situation develops. What helps Leicester a bit is the fact that Ounahi himself has no particular preference for a club.
Pretty sure Ounahi would rather go to table topping Napoli and playing CL football, than going to Leicester.

There's also a lot of uncertainty around Leicester at the moment with Rodgers not getting good results, consistently. Napoli are going from strength to strength and look like they're on the way up.

croadyman

Of those only Maddison would be worth taking a punt on until you realise his price tag would be 100m

Mitrovic has flopped hard every time he's been in the PL up until this season
Son due to his recently signed contract would cost a stupid amount of money, plays in a position we're well stacked in and has had an awful 12 months
Coutinho :lol::lol::lol:
Neves maybe but not convinced
Saint-Maximin can't even get a game for Newcastle these days
Yeah only Maddison for me too

dabronxolivera

Supports
Al Hilal
Are you serious ? Coutinho ? :lol:
The answer is PL clubs have tons of money now and can ask for absurd prices. You gotta spend at least 50m for a standard quality player if you only look at PL market. For ex see the price quoted to us on Longstaff (thank God it didnt happen:lol:) and the price quoted to Chelsea by Everton for Gordon (wtf were they thinking). The players you mentioned would cost probably at least 80m if not more. Plus our recent purchase of "pl experienced" players turn to shite. 80m for maguire, 50m for awb, thats almost 130m sitting in the bench and not good enough to start weekly

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
There were rumors during the summer that Ten Hag is a fan of his.
He needs to work on his stamina and off the ball workrate. ETH won’t stand for his inability to track runners.

GaryLifo

Liverpool's Secret Weapon.
Is he out of contract this summer?

You wonder if Leicester might take 10 million now rather than zero in the summer. It's not as if he's pulling up trees there at the moment either.

Bubz27

No I won’t change your tag line
Something something swap for Bellingham in the summer something.

Robertd0803

I cant see why Dortmund would be looking at Elanga to be honest and can see him getting the same amount of game time as if he stays here.

Chairman Steve

Reus is a diminishing player these days. Transfermarkt says his agent Hebel doesn’t really have any other high profile clients other than Kehrer. It could be just a day out at the football to watch a high profile match though.

Status
Not open for further replies.