Transfer Tweets - Manchester United - 2022/23 | Follow the OP rules and check the quality of your sources before posting. STAY ON TOPIC!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
In what world are you guys living in?

£15M for a regular Brazilian international?! This isn’t early 2000’s anymore.

So you’re rating a regular player for United with a fringe/reserve player and expecting a similar fee?

£15M would he stupid business
He's 30, he's going into the last year of his contract and he doesn't get into our side.

We sold Pereira to them for £10m, I think you probably need to be more realistic.

gajender

So you’re rating a regular player for United with a fringe/reserve player and expecting a similar fee?

We live in real world where United need to be sensible and assess all situations on individual basis .
Fred isn't a youngster he is in last year of his contract and he isn't particularly good either irrespective of his Brazilian Team status so if we insist on anything above 15 m then it's basically pricing him out of the move because we sure aren't getting a sucker to pay beyond that .

UnitedSofa

You'll Never Walk Away
He's 30, he's going into the last year of his contract and he doesn't get into our side.

We sold Pereira to them for £10m, I think you probably need to be more realistic.
We live in real world where United need to be sensible and assess all situations on individual basis .
Fred isn't a youngster he is in last year of his contract and he isn't particularly good either irrespective of his Brazilian Team status so if we insist on anything above 15 m then it's basically pricing him out of the move because we sure aren't getting a sucker to pay beyond that .
I think £25M is more than reasonable considering the calibre of player

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
I think £25M is more than reasonable considering the calibre of player
Any examples of that ever being the case for a player of his calibre, in his situation? otherwise you're reaching a bit. It would also be close to Fuham's record transfer paid.

andersj

Nick Powell Expert

Mane was the same age last year when he was sold to FC Bayern. One year left too. He was sold for €32 mill. But Mane went to Bayern! He was considered an elite attacker.

Fred is not an elite attacker. He is a midfielder that will be of interest to clubs like Fulham. He will be significantly cheaper than someone like Mane. Maybe around €20 mill. Not that far from £15 mill.

ElectroManiac

I guess if both Fred and Mctominay are leaving, I can see why he would want to bring Mount. I'm hoping that means we also bringing another CM to.

Last edited:

saivet

I don't see where Mount fits in unless it's a direct replacement for Bruno.
It seems ETH sees Mount as a no.8 and intends for him to replace Eriksen in the side. Personally don't think it will work though.

KiD MoYeS

Good Craig got his c'nuppins
Fred is better than Mount
I don’t rate Mount at all
The underrating of Mount must stop. I've seen two posts now - one stating McTominay is better than Mount and now this one stating Fred is better than Mount. People forget how bang average Fred and McTominay have been for us over the years just because they only get cameos here and there nowadays.

waza7111

It seems ETH sees Mount as a no.8 and intends for him to replace Eriksen in the side. Personally don't think it will work though.
If people are complaining that our midfield is too open with Eriksen then there wouldn't be much difference if you replace him with Mount.

They are similar type of players.

Godihno

Mane was the same age last year when he was sold to FC Bayern. One year left too. He was sold for €32 mill. But Mane went to Bayern! He was considered an elite attacker.

Fred is not an elite attacker. He is a midfielder that will be of interest to clubs like Fulham. He will be significantly cheaper than someone like Mane. Maybe around €20 mill. Not that far from £15 mill.
So in your theory, we should be getting Harry Kane for around €32 million then.
Same age and is an elite attacker with 1 year left on his contract.

SAFMUTD

Personally I think he’s good enough as a squad player
It depends for what, of we're aiming to compete against City we need way better. Fred has good games and awful games, we need someone who always gives at least 6-7 performances.

See City's bench, they got starting quality on their bench. I know it sounds ridiculous but that's what we're facing.

Messier1994

The Swedish Rumble

At 30 y/o on the last year of his contract? I would be glad if we get 15m.

I think it is easy to get a bit exposure bias regarding transfer sums. There are so many players teams wouldn’t mind selling that never are moved.

Telles is also a Brazilian national team player and we got him for 15m when he was 28 y/o and then couldn’t give him away.

I am lost regarding these thinks, but after going into transfer windows expecting to get x millions for a player and at best getting half of that for 15 years I am a bit sceptical. ;)

DutchSerb

Supports
FC Groningen
If people are complaining that our midfield is too open with Eriksen then there wouldn't be much difference if you replace him with Mount.

Mount is definitely more of a workhorse than Eriksen, although I still don't like the prospect of him playing that position. Prefer someone with better passing.

sparx99

I guess if both Fred and Mctominay are leaving, I can see why he would want to bring Mount. I'm hoping that means we also bringing another CM to.
Yeah, I can see the value in Mount as a multi-functional player. Cover/competition for both Eriksen and Bruno.

Essentially, you can sell Fred and Van de Beek and replace them with one player all while having little impact on the transfer budget elsewhere. It's not necessarily a huge upgrade but could be a shrewd squad signing.

If we added a more defensive-minded midfielder (Rice/Caicedo) then there would be a nice assortment of options. Possibly even room for one more depending on what we do with McTominay and Mejbri.

Casemiro
Rice/Caicedo
Eriksen
Mount
Bruno

Messier1994

The Swedish Rumble
Someone needs to save Erik from himself.
I would have agreed with you a week ago but I have actually changed my opinion thinking it through.

First of all, looking at our potential cost/squad structure going forward — assuming CL football but no massive influx of capital from a new owner — the squad can more or less be broken down into different “transfer fee slots”. In fact, long term, we can afford a couple of 150m players, seven 100m players and so forth. I break it down in this post: https://www.redcafe.net/threads/‘successful’-scenarios-for-summer-‘23.475914/post-30601610

My point is just — a 55m signing who contributes to us for 5 years won’t (long term) eat up money that should have been assigned to an important player. It’s very much squad player money.

And I think the same goes for Rice, he will cost a bit more and he will probably long term have a bigger role, but with an 80m signing, it’s not even a disaster if the player isn’t in our starting IX.

Second of all, does Rice and/or Mount give us an edge over City? No. That Is why I would have been against them a week ago.

But with that said, do they set us back? Could it be signings we regret? Of course depends on the expectations we have on them — but at 55m and 80m a pop, with our revenues today, we do not commit to costs that should be going to key players. We can still afford a couple of 150m players, 7 100m players, and so forth, long term.

Another rule of thumb is that we can afford to spend 1,500m over 5 years or 300m per off-season (from an FFP perspective, naturally we must also have the cash flow to support the actual payments, which means no more Glazer dividend etc) but I think it makes more sense to break it down as “transfer fee slots” because ultimately that is what a squad will consist of. And I definitely think that it’s that type of thinking teams apply. 100% Boehly has an approach somewhat like that (and it’s very natural for an American where all pro leagues has some kind of salary cap). That is why he has acted as decisively as he have. They sign three youth players for 100m each on 7-8 year deals, if one becomes a star, one becomes a starter and one busts — they are probably right on line to building a top squad by his calculations.

And like the PL is a very very competitive league. Very few thought Liverpool would fall of a cliff season given how they looked last year and even in the Community Sheild game. We look “fairly” safe right now, winning a lot of games pretty comfortably at least. But I don’t think anyone in their right mind would — rule out — that our current squad all of a sudden with injuries and what not could stop picking up points. These signings doesnt necessarily give us an edge vs City — but do they really help secure that we manage to consistently stay competitive in a top 2-3 race for the coming 3-4 years? Definitely. Much more so than signing that Kone kid from Borrusia MG and so forth.

So I 100% get where you are coming from, but if ETH indeed are interested in these players — I can see a logic behind it.

Dannn411

Would have preferred to replace them with two controller-type midfielders. Mount isn't a controller. Not even sure if Mount is a proper central midfielder. Looks more like an attacking midfielder to me.

Dazzmondo

They're not at all similar. Mount is a very good presser whereas Eriksen doesn't press at all and Eriksen's a far better progressive passer and creator than Mount.

Status
Not open for further replies.