Transfer Tweets - Manchester United - 2022/23 | Follow the OP rules and check the quality of your sources before posting. STAY ON TOPIC!

Status
Not open for further replies.

BarstoolProphet

One major issue with the players we’re linked with and signed so far is that only one in de Jong can be considered a guaranteed starter. Eriksen might be depending on Bruno but Malacia and Martinez are very much rotation players. Our starting 11 is short 4 to 5 quality players and the business while good so far doesn’t address that.
Eriksen plays deeper than at Spurs/Inter and could very well be a certain starter. Shaw might have a higher ceiling but is extremely unreliable fitness wise and the rest of the competition is Telles and Williams - both not even close to be United quality. Wouldn't be surprised if he is our first-choice LB next season. As for Martinez, none of our CB's can claim a starting spot based on the previous year.

rooney2009

He reminds me a bit of Patrice Evra- small tenacious skillful player - hopefully he is half as good as him

Hansi Fick

Supports
FC Bayern
Yeah I’m stumped on that one also!

At first I thought it was is ‘Anyone else in the mood for Malaria’
Are they quoting some legendary Malaysian Airlines commercial I'm not aware of?

Why would anyone be "in the mood for Malacia"? What a weird question is that? Or am I missing a pun?
What, you're not in the mood for *checks notes* an abnormal softening of organs or tissues of the human body?

Von Mistelroum

One major issue with the players we’re linked with and signed so far is that only one in de Jong can be considered a guaranteed starter. Eriksen might be depending on Bruno but Malacia and Martinez are very much rotation players. Our starting 11 is short 4 to 5 quality players and the business while good so far doesn’t address that.
I've seen this said but I don't get it. Based on the state of our squad, I don't understand why people only see these players as squad players compared to the dross we currently employ? I suspect that if Ten Hag is bringing them in, it's because he thinks they are potentially better than our current lot and I don't think this is a stretch.

Shaw has never made that position his own so I can't see any reason that he wouldn't be displaced by a young, energetic defender with a load of potential. Maguire, really?? He was literally a laughing stock of a player last season and if that form continues, or anything close, then it's no stretch to think that Martinez could replace him very quickly, particularly given the style EtH likes to play.
If we signed Antony, are we really saying that our current crop of elite wingers are going to keep him on the bench? Other than Sancho they are all very easily replaceable.

Basically, I suspect that every single player we're linked to/have signed is very likely to play very regularly if they are here next season.

SAFMUTD

Malacia is definitely a rotation option, but I think Eriksen and Martinez (if it's get done) will be starters.

I don't think Eriksen will be a rotation option for Bruno, I dont think he would had accepted that kind of role at this point of his career.

red_de_pologne

Agreed. I would add none plays in a position that was the most urgent to fill (apart from FDJ but he’s far from certain)

croadyman

Agreed. I would add none plays in a position that was the most urgent to fill (apart from FDJ but he’s far from certain)
Right let's go through each position

RB - Seems a lack of quality options, hence I see going with what we have

LCB - Looks like Martinez will sign

DM - Just maybe Erik doesn't want to play with the destroyer type and wants more of a playmaker hence De Jong.

CM - Eriksen already sorted

RW/ ST - Yes we need both but with Ronaldo situation we will have to prioritise. Do we balance attack or look for more of a number 9.

sparx99

DM - Just maybe Erik doesn't want to play with the destroyer type and wants more of a playmaker hence De Jong.

RW/ ST - Yes we need both but with Ronaldo situation we will have to prioritise. Do we balance attack or look for more of a number 9.
United have no excuse to not sign a RW and ST if Ronaldo leaves. Let's say Ronaldo leaves and we get £15m for him. With his wages we are looking at a £30-40m saving. We would have to replace him and while it may mean adding £30m to the budget to get a £70m striker the board would need to do it.

The RW is clearly already coming out of the current budget.

mazhar13

Kermit Inc. 2022
Scout
What was it?
It was a video clip of Melissa Reddy talking about how we already had an agreement with Barcelona for de Jong on the basic aspects of the deal. It came from the third-party Twitter account that typically sports Sky Sports clips.

Matt851

On the right back front I still struggle to imagine we can't find someone better than what we have even if it's a player like malacia who is relatively raw

On dm - you can get defensive midfielders who aren't destroyers , thinking of someone like Rodri. One of the issues with de jong at barca is he hasn't found a position to make his own and has been found wanting defensively when playing deep. I can't see that getting better in the pl particularly if paired with someone as positional useless as mct or fred

mazhar13

Kermit Inc. 2022
Scout
First revealed by @RkkMan in the Frenkie de Jong thread:

Source (written by Luis F. Rojo):
  • As part of de Jong's contract extension agreement in 2020, Barcelona deferred his salary payments until this year.
  • For the next 4 years, Barcelona must pay to de Jong:
    • €88.58m for the fixed salary + loyalty bonuses
    • Variable payments
      • €8m (€2m/year) if de Jong plays 60% of the games
      • Max. €12.8 (€3.2m/year) for trophies won/if the team reaches the CL final
  • As a result, de Jong effectively breaks the salary structure that Laporta is trying to establish.
    • Possible justification for letting de Jong go despite saying otherwise in public

M4YON

First revealed by @RkkMan in the Frenkie de Jong thread:

Source:
  • As part of de Jong's contract extension agreement in 2020, Barcelona deferred his salary payments until this year.
  • For the next 4 years, Barcelona must pay to de Jong:
    • €88.58m for the fixed salary + loyalty bonuses
    • Variable payments
      • €8m (€2m/year) if de Jong plays 60% of the games
      • Max. €12.8 (€3.2m/year) for trophies won/if the team reaches the CL final
  • As a result, de Jong effectively breaks the salary structure that Laporta is trying to establish.
    • Possible justification for letting de Jong go despite saying otherwise in public
As we suspected, just dragging it out now. This will accelerate once De Jong gets back from holiday.

kkengvib

What are the chances that the contract details are being intentionally leaked by Barcelona to justify the sale or have fans turn on FDJ because of his high wages? Laporta seems like the mischievous type that would do that

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri

EDIT: Key snippet
Fair enough we're not aggressive in the market, but we cannot be trying to appease him when we're trying to build a healthy culture.

AndySmith1990

EDIT: Key snippet
:lol: oh dear, has his ego been dented because he's not earning half a million a week anymore?

Imagine being upset about only earning £360k a week in a climate where millions are struggling with the rising cost of living. Horrid man

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
What are the chances that the contract details are being intentionally leaked by Barcelona to justify the sale or have fans turn on FDJ because of his high wages? Laporta seems like the mischievous type that would do that
Of course thats the reason

Smores

Oh no, how can he survive on just £360,000 a week?

Poor thing.
Can't imagine he's the only one pissed off at team mates for causing a 25% reduction in wages. It's probably why De Gea was so fiery as well.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
When journalists report Ronaldo is willing to take a pay cut to leave, what they actually mean is he’s willing to take a pay cut from his 500k a week salary but still wants substantially more than the 350k it’s dropped to at United.

Devil_forever

You're only young once, you can be immature f'ever
Head of the naval division of lolibfascon
When journalists report Ronaldo is willing to take a pay cut to leave, what they actually mean is he’s willing to take a pay cut from his 500k a week salary but still wants substantially more than the 350k it’s dropped to at United.
More likely the appeal of adding to his trophy haul and his champions league goals tally is enough for him to take a pay cut. Why would he take a pay cut to play europa league and lose one year from adding to his champions league tally. He’d probably want more money to play europa league to soften the blow of that lost year. For him it’s all about being king of the champions league and losing a year out of 2/3 he has left to add to that tally is a huge loss to him.

sparx99

More likely the appeal of adding to his trophy haul and his champions league goals tally is enough for him to take a pay cut. Why would he take a pay cut to play europa league and lose one year from adding to his champions league tally. He’d probably want more money to play europa league to soften the blow of that lost year. For him it’s all about being king of the champions league and losing a year out of 2/3 he has left to add to that tally is a huge loss to him.
He should want the Europa League trophy to add to his collection. He's already got plenty of CL's!

Status
Not open for further replies.