Transfer Tweets - Manchester United - 2022/23 | Follow the OP rules and check the quality of your sources before posting. STAY ON TOPIC!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Heffo

We're still run by incompetents all-round evidently. Forget any praise I gave to Murtough. Guy's an idiot for not only not preparing in Jan but then also not ensuring we got Nunez despite already knowing Ronaldo probably wanted to leave. I don't care what anyone says about the price involved to get Nunez, he's a better striker than anyone we're likely to be able to get now and he'd have been far more important to us than he will be for Liverpool. No confidence whatsoever in the rest of the window after seeing pretty clearly that there was nothing revelatory or last minute about this announcement.
It's a bit mind boggling to me that I'm seeing so many United fans take this view that we just had to try a little harder to get Nunez and he was ours.

While we were being heavily linked with him, before the Liverpool interest was strongly touted, there were numerous reports that he didn't want to go to us or Arsenal because he wanted Champions League football.

There's no point crying about not getting Nunez now that Ronaldo is leaving, because there is almost no chance he was picking us ahead of Liverpool anyway.

Woziak

So what you're saying is, you think that a non footballing person made a footballing decision by not taking the advice of an actual footballing person?

How could you possibly know that things wouldn't have been better without Ronaldo? I love the guy, but he didn't fit the style Ralf tried to implement in his short time here, you'd think the people who hired the footballing guy would listen to his input on footballing matters.

It points to what I've been saying since the end of the season, there is absolutely no long term plan in place, making reactionary decisions rather than proactive ones.

What if Ten Hag says he thinks Rashford should be sold? But the board say no? He's going to be hamstrung by a decision of a suit because they don't want any more hassle from fans? Sounds like things have changed indeed.

Multi billion pound organisation being run by a bunch of clowns.
I agree with nearly everything you say especially no long term plan but I think Ralph record of 37 points from a potential 72 points as Manager lost him any high ground, it’s clear he fell out with Ronaldo and he fell out with Rashford, Martial, Pogba and Lingard as well. He had Sancho, Cavani and Greenwood from mid November to January, a wealth of options when Cavani was unfit and Greenwood unavailable, he made it difficult for himself to go back to players that he had upset previously. The weird thing is had we these options this season with the 5 sub rule, I genuinely believe we would have been able to rely less on Ronaldo. I still think this is the main reason we were second the season before was because of the 5 sub rule, we didn’t blow teams away we just won a lot of close games by making attacking substitutes.

My point every thing you say is true but the truly Elite Managers are able to control the dressing room, the egos of the biggest players and to a lesser extent or indirectly the Director of Football and the board because if he’s successful and the club has not had success for a long time, he simply threatens to walk if he doesn’t get his own way, like Pep or Klopp would. We’ve only seen a small glimpse of this at united when Jose won the two trophies in his first season and In his second he was talking up the league and demanding players, Woodward for one season was purring like a Cheshire Cat!
I’m hoping ETH wins the Europa or an Fa cup because right now that will give him the currency with the clowns called the Glaziers to build a mid term plan of 3/4 years and that’s the best we can hope for.

Dazzmondo

Totally unproven though. That's one season in a poor league. It could be a purple patch and it'll be interesting to see if he struggles to adapt to the PL.
I wouldn't call the Portuguese league a poor league necessarily. It's probably the 6th best league (in Europe at least). Most seem happy with us signing players from the Eredevisie despite the standard of that league arguably being lower than the Primeira Liga. I'd say 22/23 is generally the age you want to see these kind of improvements. It's rare a 18/19 year old takes the world by storm. Even Mbappe was only getting 15 league goals at 18/19 despite already clearly being a sensational talent. Nunez wouldn't have been a guarantee but then who would be?

Godfather

The Bayern link almost feels unreal. Doesn't seem like Bayern at all. Also were are our links to replacements?

Dazzmondo

It's a bit mind boggling to me that I'm seeing so many United fans take this view that we just had to try a little harder to get Nunez and he was ours.

While we were being heavily linked with him, before the Liverpool interest was strongly touted, there were numerous reports that he didn't want to go to us or Arsenal because he wanted Champions League football.

There's no point crying about not getting Nunez now that Ronaldo is leaving, because there is almost no chance he was picking us ahead of Liverpool anyway.
I hadn't heard anything about Nunez not being interested in Utd until Liverpool showed their interest. Once they came in for him, absolutely you're right he was never going to choose us, but we seemed to have a lot of time to get it done as well as a good relationship with his agent and by haggling we lost out. I would have been fine with this if Ronaldo was staying, but evidently he never was.

Suv666

Even 15 league goals would be good. Discounting a player simply because he's coming from another league is dumb. Not all will be able to replicate their numbers but others will. Suarez had an excellent season at Ajax and went to Liverpool and dominated in the PL. No guarantee any player signed from within the PL could replicate their numbers at another PL club either, but it always makes more sense to go for a player who has performed at a high level previously than to go for someone who's never been a prolific goalscorer and hope for some sort of miracle.
That's not my point though is it?
My point is you dont pay 80 million quid on a gamble. Liverpool signed Suarez for 20.

If Nunez went even for 50 I would say yeah we missed a trick here and should have gone for him. Gambling 80 when we've got a non existent midfield and conceding goals like there is no tomorrow is dumb and would be reminiscent of the Woodward era which thankfully has come to an end.

Woziak

£40 million for a player they signed for £25 million and parked on the bench for two years :lol: Who writes this shit.

They’re extremely lucky to recoup what they paid.
More importantly when have United fell to such an extent we are now buying Spurs cast offs. No story here move on

Dazzmondo

That's not my point though is it?
My point is you dont pay 80 million quid on a gamble. Liverpool signed Suarez for 20.

If Nunez went even for 50 I would say yeah we missed a trick here and should have gone for him. Gambling 80 when we've got a non existent midfield and conceding goals like there is no tomorrow is dumb and would be reminiscent of the Woodward era which thankfully has come to an end.
So who should we get? Surely you don't think it's an option to simply sell Ronaldo and not replace him? I'm most concerned that we haven't seen any links to a striker of any description since Nunez went to Liverpool. Richarlison was the only other one I can recall.

Ralph1386

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne

Woziak

Yeah I did. I expected him to be respectful about it.
Needs to be sold asap. If we have this hanging over our head seasons gone.
I wonder if the 20% wage drop clause for not qualifying for the CL is in is contract too, if so this might be him saying change the rules for me or I’m off, I say we just put a ridiculous £60M price tag on him as he's got 1+1 year left and we want to activate that so effectively a 2 year contract. That will put most people off paying £60M plus his £600k per week wages for a 37/38 year old.

Suv666

So who should we get? Surely you don't think it's an option to simply sell Ronaldo and not replace him? I'm most concerned that we haven't seen any links to a striker of any description since Nunez went to Liverpool. Richarlison was the only other one I can recall.
No clue mate. Undoubtedly we are in a tough spot and the club would have to get creative.

I reckon we wont sign a striker and try to make either Bruno false 9 or Rashford/Martial work. If that's the case ETH probably has accepted the fact that we'll score less than last season and hoping the defensive reinforcements would offset the GD enough to make top four.

World cup is around the corner as well maybe someone new will emerge from the tournament and we can get him in Jan although most WC stars turn out to be duds.

We could also buy a goalscoring right winger to replace some of Ronaldo's goals.

Dazzmondo

No clue mate. Undoubtedly we are in a tough spot and the club would have to get creative.

I reckon we wont sign a striker and try to make either Bruno false 9 or Rashford/Martial work. If that's the case ETH probably has accepted the fact that we'll score less than last season and hoping the defensive reinforcements would offset the GD enough to make top four.

World cup is around the corner as well maybe someone new will emerge from the tournament and we can get him in Jan although most WC stars turn out to be duds.

We could also buy a goalscoring right winger to replace some of Ronaldo's goals.
God I hope you're wrong but it wouldn't surprise me. If that's the case ETH would need to perform a miracle to get top 4. Might as well write off the season if that's the situation by the end of August.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
God I hope you're wrong but it wouldn't surprise me. If that's the case ETH would need to perform a miracle to get top 4. Might as well write off the season if that's the situation by the end of August.
If the service to the front men becomes better we might actually score more. We are not relying on Ronaldo and giving all the chances to him. Sancho might be more productive with assists and goals this season.

Suv666

So much for leaks stopping...
Some truth in this. The players improving bit not the Mendes propaganda.

Bruno I reckon would definitely improve with Ronaldo feckin off. In many situations he passed the ball to Ronaldo even when others were in a better position. It felt like he was obligated to do so cause Ronaldo the main man.

Status
Not open for further replies.