Transfer Tweets - Manchester United - 2022/23 | Follow the OP rules and check the quality of your sources before posting. STAY ON TOPIC!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ottawa MLS Fan

Why does everyone want to buy back Garner? Seriously, we need to learn to not put emphasis on the fact the player is from academy - what matters is how he plays.
If he hadn’t been a United player, would anyone have been suggesting we buy him from Forest, even after a reasonably good season in the Championship?

Demaw

There was similar sentiment when Angel Gomes left. And where is he now?

There is no guarantee Garner will make it at the highest level - and any other level is of no relevance for us
True,

sparx99

I do remember Bruno saying at the end of last season he was most excited to play with Garner out of the younger lads. It seems a shame we never even got to see him play some league cup to Europa league games and try to stake a claim.

Gazza

Feels like the price is low for Garner because we dallied on putting him on the market (tbf, Ten Hag might have wanted to take a look at him first to evaluate him) and therefore have to accept whatever offers are out there. Had we been decisive and generated an auction with various teams earlier in the summer, we’d have gotten 20m with add-ons, maybe?

Demaw

I do remember Bruno saying at the end of last season he was most excited to play with Garner out of the younger lads. It seems a shame we never even got to see him play some league cup to Europa league games and try to stake a claim.
sorry, I meant to mean it as Angel.

Cee90

Redcafe Fantasy Football Champion 2012/13
How do you know first hand?
Close to information from his camp. That’s all I can say really, hate to come across as trying to be a Cafe ITK - but if you check my history you will know that I have called a few things with Amad before the media.

roseguy64

There was similar sentiment when Angel Gomes left. And where is he now?

There is no guarantee Garner will make it at the highest level - and any other level is of no relevance for us
No one is complaining about him being sold. Or rather most aren't. They're complaining about the fee and the lack of a buyback clause in case he kicks on.

Alemar

No one is complaining about him being sold. Or rather most aren't. They're complaining about the fee and the lack of a buyback clause in case he kicks on.
By the time he kicks on, there will be younger talents around.

Currently, he is unable to get on the bench ahead of VDB and Fred. If he kicks on, he might potentially be able to (get on this bench) - but would it be good enough? No. It is simply not worth it hoping for a miracle.

Antony is a player of similar age - he kicked on and is playing for Brazil, that’s the level of players we need.

jeepers

Terrible fee for Garner, but I guess he wants first team football, Eth can’t/won’t guarantee that because Garner simply isn’t good enough, and he won’t get enough game time as a bench warmer, so the club has decided to let him go easily to a team of his choice.

I imagine it would be more if Spurs made a bid, for example.

Surprised we are not going for a striker considering Martial’s out.

roseguy64

By the time he kicks on, there will be younger talents around.

Currently, he is unable to get on the bench ahead of VDB and Fred. If he kicks on, he might potentially be able to (get on this bench) - but would it be good enough? No. It is simply not worth it hoping for a miracle.

Antony is a player of similar age - he kicked on and is playing for Brazil, that’s the level of players we need.
You can never assume anything about how good a player can become. There are lots of examples of players becoming world class out of the blue after a few years of just being okay to good.

But I guess you know better than the clubs who put buyback clauses in when selling similar talent players.

Sea-Cow

Was a key component of a championship team who got promoted and starts for England U21s. What has Gibbs White done to be worth 4 times more? Or Williams to be twice as much? Or Ibe. Or all the Chelsea lads who get sold after 1 Championship season.
I agree with you that 4 times is a bit much. But I remember being impressed with Gibbs-White a few years ago when he got first got minutes in the prem. I think he's a very good player, but yeah he doesn't seem all that much better than Garner.

Redfrog

You can never assume anything about how good a player can become. There are lots of examples of players becoming world class out of the blue after a few years of just being okay to good.

But I guess you know better than the clubs who put buyback clauses in when selling similar talent players.
So what, we should just keep every player until they kick on ? Garner is 21. If you’re not in the rotation in the team at this stage you won’t probably make it here. A very few players can and should make it at United. That’s the way it is.
It’s better to get some money then to let him go on loan or on the bench just to see him go on free. I just think people speaks out of sentimentality because he is from the academy. But at the end very few will make it.

julianfr

So what, we should just keep every player until they kick on ? Garner is 21. If you’re not in the rotation in the team at this stage you won’t probably make it here. A very few players can and should make it at United. That’s the way it is.
It’s better to get some money then to let him go on loan or on the bench just to see him go on free. I just think people speaks out of sentimentality because he is from the academy. But at the end very few will make it.
Agreed. We just got rid of Lingard. We DO NOT need another 28 year old teenager waiting to reach his peak.

roseguy64

Where do you see me disagreeing with Garner being sold? FFS.

Argue with someone else about that.

Alemar

120m budget while we have like 8 players left on a free with glaring holes doesn't sound like a lot really. But then again its the Glazers
Isn’t it the reason for delay with Antony transfer registration?

Alemar

After it came out we have spent way over the original budget, I’d say there would be a 1% chance of anything happening today.
But, using ETH words, there could be further “adaptations” to the budget perhaps…

Lights Out

Still think we should put in a £20m bid for Tielemans.

The sale of Garner & Pereira will have pretty much paid for that.

Status
Not open for further replies.