Transfer Tweets - Manchester United - 2023/24

Lastwolf

People complain we don't get fees, we hold out to get said fees and moves collapse, it's a disaster!

Harry Maguire is an idiot, but whatever I don't give a damn about his England career if he wants to burn that, that's on him, there is little point in selling him this year if we are going to be into negative money selling him, if reports are true and he wanted 7m in a pay off, he wanted 35% of his wages over the next two years as well as being sold. We'd make a 3m loss on him and we'd have to replace him in the squad, to keep that somewhat budget neutral. At a guess of 100k a week, that's a £20m purchase price, you can't buy a ham sandwich for that price in this market, unless we wanted to buy our own players.

We might as well keep him, he's not great but if we can't get rid of him without burning more money, then why bother, League Cup games and ocassional rotation it is.

kirk buttercup

fecking hell its all going Pete tong.
It certainly has. Players deciding they would rather just stay on stupid wages than make any change. I was pretty excited by the 3 signings we made and very hopeful of a couple of others that we might make that would make us hopefully a very solid unit whilst getting rid of some players that are surplus to requirement. Now it looks like we can't shift them , club take over looks to have stalled , the " other " situation is no clearer . And our first game was a shocker v one of the supposed worst teams in the league. I remain optimistic about the coming season but the last week has certainly taking some wind out of our sails .

Withnail

We're not going to get much a fee for him now. Try and loan him out and release him next Summer seems the only option.

It was a pretty stupid decision to renew in 21/22.

DRJosh

Supports
United minus the Glazers
Looks like that's our transfer business done then. Was hoping we would get Sofyan Amrabat. What a shame. Another season with Maguire in the squad is nauseating.

DRJosh

Supports
United minus the Glazers
Why? He's not going to play so what does it matter?
Because of the lost opportunities in securing other players. He will be a reminder of how poor we were in recruiting the right players in the past and I don't think his presence adds value to the dressing room atmosphere.

Crick

It isn't a disaster, it's just not as good as it could have been. Levy was never going to sell us Kane, Maguire clearly doesn't want to go to West Ham, Henderson & Martial won't pass a medical this window and for some reason we decided we didn't want to sell McTominay for £30m. We won't sell VDB and Bailly but both will probably still go on loan. Sadly MG is likely coming back too, another odd decision.

It's a typical window in the Champions League under the Glazers. They only allow us to spend our own money when we are not in the CL. Unless we lose badly at Spurs, it looks like we are done for incomings.

Our biggest issue is still the Glazers and how slow, controlling and incompetent the staff they have put in place are. They are still terrified of 'churn' - too many ins and outs in a window. Woody used to talk about it all the time on the investor calls. They see it as recruitment failure and would always rather keep what they have. The concept is still there without Woody as it comes from the Glazers. Nothing will change until they are all gone.

Dazzmondo

This window is going from a potential 9/10 to a 6/10 very quickly.
Anyone who seriously thought our window was 9/10 was delusional tbh. We needed a world class striker and didn't get one. That alone means it was 7/10 max. Giving the Mount transfer the benefit of the doubt and assuming he would adapt without ruining our midfield shape, I was still only giving our transfer business a 6/10. If our midfield looks as fragile as it did against Wolves throughout the season, that will go down further. Never understood why people were so impressed with this window. I think the failure of the takeover completely screwed us over (though for the decision on Mount I'm putting the blame on ETH tbh).

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
I doubt we’ll make anymore signings this window
Agreed, our business is sadly done. Staggering incompetence not to let McTominay go, just a dreadful decision.

AltiUn

Must be Fred + another one, not two additional ones.

Should be able to sign him if we manage to offload Van de Beek, which is proving extremely difficult.
It's 2 additional ones as we've already sold Fred.

Red00012

Why? He's not going to play so what does it matter?
Because replacing him with Pavarotti or Tolibo would have been a huge upgrade having squad options . It’s a long season and rotation is important . Having those 2 as options as opposed to Maguire is night and day.

Scorpy

Absolutely crapping it and loving it!
It's 2 additional ones as we've already sold Fred.
This wouldn't make any sense, though, as this would leave us needing two midfield signings.

The tweet is phrased this way, but Romano said earlier this summer that we will go for Amrabat once we offload Fred and VDB.

AltiUn

This wouldn't make any sense, though, as this would leave us needing two midfield signings.

The tweet is phrased this way, but Romano said earlier this summer that we will go for Amrabat once we offload Fred and VDB.
We never do anything that makes sense.

aeh1991

Henderson, Williams, Bailly, Maguire, McTominay, Van de Beek. Staying.

Kramer

That’s what I’m hoping for as well based on what Fab said earlier.

But maybe at that point we were counting on the Maguire money?

Our only hope is West Ham come back in for Mctominay once they offload Paqueta.

The optimist in me still believes both Maguire and McTominay end up at West Ham before the season begins.

We have already tabled an offer for Pavard as per Bayern Tier 1 journo so clearly we’re not short of time in looking for a replacement. That’s just BS.

ClassOf'99

Bolded will all be playing at some point too due to lack of depth.

Only upgrade to last season is a potential goal threat of a striker but we don't know yet.

And a ball playing keeper, but after Wolves game I can't see who he'll be playing the ball too if we keep the Case/Bruno/Mount experiment going :nervous:

The Corinthian

I will not take Mad Winger's name in vain
Supports
A Free Palestine
The last week has been a bit of an anticlimax as far as the transfer window goes.

From the first team squad, we've only really moved on de Gea, Fred, Telles and Elanga, which isn't good enough, especially when you consider there were other players that were a shoe in for a transfer such as Henderson (Jones was not a first team squad member). It's quite poor, and I'm not sure if it's due to Woodward and Co and the contracts they doled out or incompetence from the current regime.

Flanders Devil

What's the thoughts is the Maguire deal, 100% dead in the water? Or is this some posturing / negotiation?

I'm personally not hopeful, but even a 5% chance would give me some hope.

aeh1991

Bolded will all be playing at some point too due to lack of depth.

Only upgrade to last season is a potential goal threat of a striker but we don't know yet.

And a ball playing keeper, but after Wolves game I can't see who he'll be playing the ball too if we keep the Case/Bruno/Mount experiment going :nervous:
makes it worse. Should have sold them when we could and replace them.

gajender

What's the thoughts is the Maguire deal, 100% dead in the water? Or is this some posturing / negotiation?

I thought it would get done eventually but it seems now he is staying not hopeful at all .

The Corinthian

I will not take Mad Winger's name in vain
Supports
A Free Palestine

It's dead dude. Don't do this to yourself.

Idxomer

This window is going from a potential 9/10 to a 6/10 very quickly.
It went from a potential 7/10 if we sign Amrabat and get rid of Maguire and McTominay to 3/10 with none of these things happening. Murtough is proving to be a bigger clown than Woodward.

julianfr

Relax! It's a Glazer master plan. We allow all of them to supposedly rot in the reserves till we forget about them and then come January throw all of them back into the first team. BOOM! Like 6 new signings :drool:

Baxquux

I thought Fred was one of the players that had to be sold. Always thought it was one of Fred/McT and VDB.
Except we're not getting money for VDB, except a minimal loan fee at best. Hate to be reactive, but at this stage Brighton seem to have a better idea of how to identify suitable profiles for CM, so we would literally be just as well signing Baleba as Amrabat, just as we obviously should have paid Caicedo's various reps the cumulative 2-3m or whatever at the time, as people here suggested based upon what we already knew of the player for brief international appearances and the scouting reports emerging. Or possibly both, since Baleba seems more of a long term Cas replacement. Except that even this not especially imaginative take would require more coherence than our recruitment seems to follow. The best thing about new ownership is that the path of least resistance is just for them to hire a footballing consultant and any decent consultant who's followed the game over the last few years will see the trend of recruitment profiles, what's worked, how on a broader scale the PSG Galactico model hasn't worked and neither have manager-led recruitment models, and that there are a number of players with such little playing value that they need to be moved on, even if it ostensibly sets precedents for 'low selling'. The latter is a lesser evil.

Even if it incurs small on the books losses, we have to shift Maguire; Henderson can go for 12-15 if that's what it takes, which is still FFP profit - likewise McTominay. Prices are only as strong a your negotiating position, and once we have players who fit our profile, we don't have to sell them for less than large money, because the context shifts; likewise if we have 3-4 players with clearly identified, suitable profiles being pursued for each position, then you just provisionally line up each deal - which any recruitment arm should be able to delegate , even if it means hiring external negotiators to help with simultaneous negotiations - and pick the easiest one. You could pick 15-20 players across Europe who would have been better fits for a dynamic, robust, technically good, positionally smart number 8, who can press and counter-press and handle the ball in fairly tight areas and be coached up where needs be; there are probably a few at the requisite level in South America too, whereby you just screen for long-term value and visa .

Usually, if it looks a weird decision (a slight, at best midpaced player with little experience in shielding a line, playing with a positionally erratic no. 10 and an ageing single pivot screener with increasing issues getting up to speed physically against physicality, speed and a generally high baseline of interplay) then it's not mysteriously smart, just contrary. Common sense says Casemiro at this stage can't support Mount/Bruno double 8, the eye test says that Maguire doesn't have a place in a team that looks to play high and has little to no value therefore, it also says that Scott just doesn't show for the ball and is positionally well behind his peers at top 6 clubs . It takes a lot of myopia at various degrees of explanatory complexity to go around those decisions.

Unless we scrape through games until October and Mainoo comes in and (a) is an actual prodigy and (b) gets played, then it's just going to go the way people doubting ETH 's line on this fear it's going to go. And we'll just see more elaborate excuses, just as we saw with Oleball defenders, and people defending the recruitment system, and people saying fans are too hard on players (as has ben discussed previously, expectations placed on MU players by fans are minimal compared to those at other big clubs in Europe; Maguire would been in therapy after a couple of months at Madrid, and be trying to escape from Italy after a couple of months faced with the ultras (if he continued to make mistakes -the pace thing would be less of an issue admittedly in that league).

pjaya

Personal take on this is, United fans are too forgiving unlike those in Spain teams. They will be hounded to leave the club. Those players do not have the motivation nor thinking of improving but rather sit on the bench to get paychecks (fecking Woodward problem) and rot because not much external pressure from fans.

hasanejaz88

Supports
Germany
I doubt we’ll make anymore signings this window
Oh f*ck right off. Infuriating that we're being stingy while Chelsea are able to sign both Caicedo and Lavia for massive amounts.

I understand that they've sold a lot of players themselves, but they already spent a ton last season as well.

McTom is the only midfielder I can imagine us selling right now, but he offers something completely different to our other midfielders so would be disappointed if he's forced to leave.