Transfer Tweets - Manchester United - 2023/24

Utd heap

Models for Coin.
I know our fans hated Louis Van Gaal football but the guy was genius. I still believe he is our best manager since Sir Ferguson. The guy gave 14 Manchester United academy debutants and and remember when average players like Tyler Blackett, Paddy McNair, Cameron Borthwick-Jackson deceptively looked promising talents! Now we have some talented youth players and we panic and try to sign makeshift players to replace injured player for a period of two months?
Bring back the glory days of being spanked 4-0 by MK Dons.

Rossa

I know our fans hated Louis Van Gaal football but the guy was genius. I still believe he is our best manager since Sir Ferguson. The guy gave 14 Manchester United academy debutants and and remember when average players like Tyler Blackett, Paddy McNair, Cameron Borthwick-Jackson deceptively looked promising talents! Now we have some talented youth players and we panic and try to sign makeshift players to replace injured player for a period of two months?
I seriously disliked his football. However, you are right that he did introduce many youngsters. If the club really doesn't value Alvaro at all, then they should sell him. Him and Dalot should be able to compete for that position until Malacia and Shaw returns.

sugar_kane

Missing the key bit of information that our football under him was dog shit and we were thoroughly mediocre.

Van Gaal was the ultimate manager for a lot of United fans because he did exactly what they dream of doing:

1. Sell every player!!
2. Buy every possible player they've ever heard of just because they're available!
3. Promote every single academy player! (no matter how shit)

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
Missing the key bit of information that our football under him was dog shit and we were thoroughly mediocre.

Van Gaal was the ultimate manager for a lot of United fans because he did exactly what they dream of doing:

1. Sell every player!!
2. Buy every possible player they've ever heard of just because they're available!
Very true. I'm sure he used to play random youth players just because he realised he got praised for it.

Baxquux

1. Sell every player!!
He could have bought Kroos (if we'd moved to complete the deal early in the summer, before Madrid came in, it was there, as player himself confirmed) instead of Depay, say, and we'd have been much happier...

Borninthe80ts

Should you really expect people on here to identify players, the club has access to a world wide scouting network that fans don't
Not as in provide scouting detail on players to the club. I meant in regards to either links with players and conversations with other posters. We all have different opinions on players but to me it’s not promoting expansive conversations when people are glib. Tell me why this guys you rate or this guy you don’t. Further when questioned most opinions can’t be substantiated after a bit of digging.

We all want more for United but criticism for the sake of it can be tiresome.

Von Mistelroum

All three have played under Erik Ten Hag before - absolutely no philosophy, structure or plan. No scouting or footballing direction at the club at all. Just leave it to the manager and whoever he has worked with before. Surely that will solve everything?

Dannn411

All three have played under Erik Ten Hag before - absolutely no philosophy, structure or plan. No scouting or footballing direction at the club at all. Just leave it to the manager and whoever he has worked with before. Surely that will solve everything?
Absolutely spot on. It is the surest sign of a directionless club. Doubt the club has ever had a long-term plan before or even understand what it means.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
Not sure why you are surprised. We have not moved with the times. This isn't the way SAF did it not realising that times have changed, it is a wider market. The owners can never make their minds up so everything gets delayed, they are selling or maybe they aren't. A new owner if we ever get one, you would hope will change the running of the club.

Ahmer Baig

Isn't this what Moyse pointed out that he was surprised that the club hadn't moved with time.

kkengvib

It appears on surface that we've gone from not listening to the manager and making marquee signings mainly for commercial benefits (less so footballing ones) to completely relying on what the manager wants (which appears to be mainly on personal past experience), doesn't it?

I'm wondering if this is really true and not just players we've been linked it so I had a look at all signings under his reign so far (not including those linked)

Malacia - EtH already liked when he was in Ajax
Eriksen - no direct link other than he used to play for Ajax?
Martinez - played for him
Casemiro - no direct link
Antony - played for him
Dubravka - no direct link but was bought as backup
Butland - no direct link but was bought as backup
Weghorst - other than being Dutch I don't think he's ever played for EtH? No link?
Sabitzer - no direct link - he wasn't at Bayern when EtH was there i think
Mount - EtH liked him a lot when he was on loan in the Dutch league
Onana - played for him

Hojlund - no direct link

Not sure if Evans has been signed yet but no direct link on that one as well.
Not sure if I got everything right but it looks like 5 of them are, and they're all big money signings with the exception of Malacia
Casemiro and Hojlund are the only two key signings with apparently a weak/non-existent link with EtH

I can see the concern and it looks justified, but may be a bit overblown due to the number of players we're linked with as well

Loon

:lol:
Is the scouting department still not in full swing yet? I thought we brought some super analysts in? They must be able to find someone for a temp/loan basis, even if it was a suggestion for their previous employer?

NLunited

1. Sell every player!!
Beating Arsenal with multiple academy players in the squad was brilliant.

Yeah he made mistakes: the biggest one trying to replace most of the team with technical football players. He thought it would be possible because we are a big club with means.

A more pragmatic approach in hindsight would have been better.

sugar_kane

It appears on surface that we've gone from not listening to the manager and making marquee signings mainly for commercial benefits (less so footballing ones) to completely relying on what the manager wants (which appears to be mainly on personal past experience), doesn't it?

I'm wondering if this is really true and not just players we've been linked it so I had a look at all signings under his reign so far (not including those linked)

Malacia - EtH already liked when he was in Ajax
Eriksen - no direct link other than he used to play for Ajax?
Martinez - played for him
Casemiro - no direct link
Antony - played for him
Dubravka - no direct link but was bought as backup
Butland - no direct link but was bought as backup
Weghorst - other than being Dutch I don't think he's ever played for EtH? No link?
Sabitzer - no direct link - he wasn't at Bayern when EtH was there i think
Mount - EtH liked him a lot when he was on loan in the Dutch league
Onana - played for him

Hojlund - no direct link

Not sure if Evans has been signed yet but no direct link on that one as well.
Not sure if I got everything right but it looks like 5 of them are, and they're all big money signings with the exception of Malacia
Casemiro and Hojlund are the only two key signings with apparently a weak/non-existent link with EtH

I can see the concern and it looks justified, but may be a bit overblown due to the number of players we're linked with as well
Weghorst - from the same town as Ten Hag
Hojlund - same management company as Ten Hag

wouldn't even put Dubravka and Butland on the list since they were just there to tick a box, which leaves a high percentage of Ten Hag links.

Clearly the Eriksen link is tenuous at best but when added to the overall picture it is pretty fecking weird.

The thing is this is not a Ten Hag problem in isolation, but rather a more extreme version of what's been happening for the last ten years. LVG, Ole, Jose all got their own guys in too - just not to the same extent.

The reason it's worse is because we're now meant to have an actual infrastructure in place, at least previously you could say it's because we had an accountant running the club. Murtough seems terrified of Ten Hag.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
Weghorst - from the same town as Ten Hag
Hojlund - same management company as Ten Hag

wouldn't even put Dubravka and Butland on the list since they were just there to tick a box, which leaves a high percentage of Ten Hag links.

Clearly the Eriksen link is tenuous at best but when added to the overall picture it is pretty fecking weird.
Didnt know that. :D

sugar_kane

Didnt know that. :D
I might have overstated it slightly, but not too far off (from an Athletic article)

Ten Hag raised the prospect of going for Weghorst, who had not even been flagged by scouts when United looked at fellow frontman Marko Arnautovic last summer. Although Ten Hag did not know Weghorst personally, he had followed his career since he was 16.

United’s manager retired as a player at FC Twente in the eastern city of Enschede after the 2001-02 season, as a young Weghorst was just starting out at local clubs RKSV NEO and DETO Twenterand in the same area.

Both men are from that part of their homeland. Ten Hag was born in Haaksbergen and Weghorst grew up in Borne — just a 20-minute drive away. Ten Hag is direct, so too Weghorst, and the United manager wants big characters in his dressing room.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
How many of those said players are still playing at this level?

GaryLifo

Liverpool's Secret Weapon.
Yes, I'm sure he only wanted Mount based upon him playing some minutes in the Dutch league several years ago rather than because he won the CL with Chelsea, helped England to a Euro final and was Chelsea's player of the season two years in a row with an impressive number of goals and assists.

You can find tenuous links between almost any manager and a player they signed if you look hard enough given they manage teams that play against hundreds of different players every year. A manager who has at least 10 years managing in a top division will have connections to hundreds, if not thousands of players.

GBBQ

Eriksen trained with Ajax when he was coming back from his heart issues so he’s definitely been there at the same time as ETH even if he was training with the youths

Suv666

I don’t know why we keep gunning for ex-Ten Hag players but we seriously need to stop.
Its not like he was managing at Real or Barca before us.