Transfer Tweets - Manchester United - 2023/24

prateik

Bit of a stretch this one, as far as I’m aware he switched management company to make the move happen?
He switched to Ten Hags agency to get his big money move to United?
Is Ten Hag living off commissions?

We really need someone else in charge of transfers ..

Tom Van Persie

No relation
Manchester United and Lyon are in talks for Nicolas Tagliafico. The Red Devils want a loan but Lyon would like to attach a mandatory option to it.

johnnyteutonic

It appears on surface that we've gone from not listening to the manager and making marquee signings mainly for commercial benefits (less so footballing ones) to completely relying on what the manager wants (which appears to be mainly on personal past experience), doesn't it?

I'm wondering if this is really true and not just players we've been linked it so I had a look at all signings under his reign so far (not including those linked)

Malacia - EtH already liked when he was in Ajax
Eriksen - no direct link other than he used to play for Ajax?
Martinez - played for him
Casemiro - no direct link
Antony - played for him
Dubravka - no direct link but was bought as backup
Butland - no direct link but was bought as backup
Weghorst - other than being Dutch I don't think he's ever played for EtH? No link?
Sabitzer - no direct link - he wasn't at Bayern when EtH was there i think
Mount - EtH liked him a lot when he was on loan in the Dutch league
Onana - played for him

Hojlund - no direct link

Not sure if Evans has been signed yet but no direct link on that one as well.
Not sure if I got everything right but it looks like 5 of them are, and they're all big money signings with the exception of Malacia
Casemiro and Hojlund are the only two key signings with apparently a weak/non-existent link with EtH

I can see the concern and it looks justified, but may be a bit overblown due to the number of players we're linked with as well
Eriksen trained with the Ajax squad when ETH was there after he was without a club following that on-field incident so there definitely is a direct link there.

croadyman

Weghorst - from the same town as Ten Hag
Hojlund - same management company as Ten Hag

wouldn't even put Dubravka and Butland on the list since they were just there to tick a box, which leaves a high percentage of Ten Hag links.

Clearly the Eriksen link is tenuous at best but when added to the overall picture it is pretty fecking weird.

The thing is this is not a Ten Hag problem in isolation, but rather a more extreme version of what's been happening for the last ten years. LVG, Ole, Jose all got their own guys in too - just not to the same extent.

The reason it's worse is because we're now meant to have an actual infrastructure in place, at least previously you could say it's because we had an accountant running the club. Murtough seems terrified of Ten Hag.
Yeah Erik being given complete free reign on transfers is total neglect on Utd's part,most likely down to the fact that Murtough is too scared to challenge his decisions

Judas

Open to offers
At least we know for certain who is calling the shots in recruitment, as usual. Can’t say this manager isn’t getting his own way, even if he’s not getting his first targets every time, it’s clearly him deciding the players we target. Unwise in the long run probably, but oh well, this club isn’t truly going to change while the Glazers are still about.

mazhar13

Kermit Inc. 2022
Scout
FYI, this aggregator tends to post fake news and falsely attribute them to journalists. In this case, though, there's a legit exclusive from Germán García Grova (Tier 4):
Manchester United are making a move for Nicolás Tagliafico. The Premier League giants are offering a loan deal and the next few hours will be key.
Will he be a team-mate of Licha Martínez?

Blood Mage

The Glazers have brought us to our knees financially. I will be very worried for the club's future if we aren't sold soon.

aeh1991

Tagliacifo makes sense as a short term solution since he knows ETH but also Martinrz from Ajax & Argentina NT. And also seems cheap.

Plastic Evra

Quick someone find more tenuous links between Cucu la praline and our coach.
Same hair conditioner supplier ?

Cantona in disguise

At least we know for certain who is calling the shots in recruitment, as usual. Can’t say this manager isn’t getting his own way, even if he’s not getting his first targets every time, it’s clearly him deciding the players we target. Unwise in the long run probably, but oh well, this club isn’t truly going to change while the Glazers are still about.

You make a valid point though. Maybe he's going for what he can afford rather than number 1 targets. He is going for cheap alternatives that he knows their character. Let's be honest no manager in the right frame of mind could be happy with the current squad. They lack an experienced number 9. Cover for casemeiro (mount didn't help this granted). Quality cover for varane. Rb not as desperate but they need a top quality one.

So many holes in an inflated market without a DOF they are just bouncing from one thing to another. Sorry that's a bit long for tweets thread. Back on track.

Ayoba

Poster of Noncense.
How bad is he? Looked like krusty the clown playing at left back the few games I saw him last season

saivet

Out of the options mentioned I think this is the best move. The concern is he's not played in a back 4 while in the PL and quite frankly he was terrible last season for Chelsea.