g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

Transfer Tweets - Manchester United - 2023/24

Von Mistelroum

Tier 2:

Dortmund might want to stop mouthing off on social media and bigging up Sancho if they don't even have the money to pay for him. Might be better to not antagonise the club you need a huge discount from maybe.

Maureen-yo

On this, a couple of reliable journalists have already reported that the only players who are not for sale are Onana, Mainoo, Garnacho, and Højlund. Everyone else can be sold if a good offer arrives.
I saw this comment about the decision to put practically all players up for sale at this moment in time:

“I cannot think of a more damaging thing to do. It potentially could destroy the summer. The problem is not whether United say yes or no to any particular bid but whether or not other clubs can turn the heads of United's best players because it’s the best players they will go for.

Already the club captain has given a less than desirable response. Bruno has said he'll think about it after the Euros. So what happens if a bid for £40-50 million comes in? United don't have UCL and Bruno doesn't have that long left on his contract and he's 29. The personal offer to him doesn't have to be that great to turn his head and if Bruno were to go its anyone's guess who might follow were bids to come in. If United then refuse to sell they have an unhappy player. Its a lose-lose scenario.

And what about pre-season? If all the talk is about players leaving how could any manager hope to plan for next season let alone hope to get the players focussed on preparing for it? This isn't just Ronaldo being tapped up by real Madrid or Rooney by Chelsea this is the whole squad for the whole of the summer going into the start of next season. It will be chaos.

Furthermore if they decide to replace Ten Hag what might a new manager think not knowing who he's got to work with? 4 players is no sort of basis to plan from. Could it dissuade other managers from coming to Old Trafford. Equally the same can be said for new recruits. I'm sure Joao Neves would be more likely to turn up if Bruno is at the club telling him all the positives about it than if he wasn't.

There is absolutely nothing about this decision that is positive and of all the gaffs and nonsense that the Glazers have delivered over the years I cannot think of a more destructive act.”

pretty accurate

Withnail

I saw this comment about the decision to put practically all players up for sale at this moment in time:

“I cannot think of a more damaging thing to do. It potentially could destroy the summer. The problem is not whether United say yes or no to any particular bid but whether or not other clubs can turn the heads of United's best players because it’s the best players they will go for.

Already the club captain has given a less than desirable response. Bruno has said he'll think about it after the Euros. So what happens if a bid for £40-50 million comes in? United don't have UCL and Bruno doesn't have that long left on his contract and he's 29. The personal offer to him doesn't have to be that great to turn his head and if Bruno were to go its anyone's guess who might follow were bids to come in. If United then refuse to sell they have an unhappy player. Its a lose-lose scenario.

And what about pre-season? If all the talk is about players leaving how could any manager hope to plan for next season let alone hope to get the players focussed on preparing for it? This isn't just Ronaldo being tapped up by real Madrid or Rooney by Chelsea this is the whole squad for the whole of the summer going into the start of next season. It will be chaos.

Furthermore if they decide to replace Ten Hag what might a new manager think not knowing who he's got to work with? 4 players is no sort of basis to plan from. Could it dissuade other managers from coming to Old Trafford. Equally the same can be said for new recruits. I'm sure Joao Neves would be more likely to turn up if Bruno is at the club telling him all the positives about it than if he wasn't.

There is absolutely nothing about this decision that is positive and of all the gaffs and nonsense that the Glazers have delivered over the years I cannot think of a more destructive act.”

pretty accurate
It seems a bit sensationalist. Just because they're willing to listen to offers, it doesn't mean they'll let anyone go at any time without a succession plan or without sales being part of an over-arching strategy to build a stronger team.

IRELANDUNITED

This may have been addressed already on here already but I was listening to the Talk Of The Devils podcast and Carl Anka said there is a central defender playing in the Premier League who is out of contract this summer and United should be very interested in him.

Do anyone know who he’s talking about?

The Cat

Will drink milk from your hands
This may have been addressed already on here already but I was listening to the Talk Of The Devils podcast and Carl Anka said there is a central defender playing in the Premier League who is out of contract this summer and United should be very interested in him.

Do anyone know who he’s talking about?
The Fulham lad I guess?

sparx99

Erm...he probably noticed UTD finished bottom of their CL group whilst he is playing in a CL SF & leading 1-0, which is a massive difference in fortunes.
Will be fascinating to see if he’ll accept the £100k a week contract that will likely be the top end of what he could earn abroad.

Lyng

Don’t be silly, we are not that daft. Him and BVB must find a solution or we loan him somewhere
Neither are they. It's reported they have a budget of 40 million this transfer window, which is why, according to Berger, they are looking for one more year on loan with an obligation to buy.

gajender

Neither are they. It's reported they have a budget of 40 million this transfer window, which is why, according to Berger, they are looking for one more year on loan with an obligation to buy.
Obligation to buy is akin to permanent transfer for all intent and purposes , So I don't see a problem there if United and Dortmund can agree on Fee .

SER19

Obligation to buy is akin to permanent transfer for all intent and purposes , So I don't see a problem there if United and Dortmund can agree on Fee .
how do obligation to buy deals work if the player gets a horrific injury? Or if for example sancho wants another fully paid sabbatical? I genuinely dont know, I assume it still has to be paid?

gajender

how do obligation to buy deals work if the player gets a horrific injury? Or if for example sancho wants another fully paid sabbatical? I genuinely dont know, I assume it still has to be paid?
I believe it would still get done deal if it's just simple obligation or even if it's conditional obligation to buy and conditions are already met irrespective of injuries or Sancho wanting sabbatical .

Lyng

Me neither. Probably the best outcome for all parties

big_jeffstar

Dortmund might want to stop mouthing off on social media and bigging up Sancho if they don't even have the money to pay for him. Might be better to not antagonise the club you need a huge discount from maybe.
they’re the weirdest club, constant little man syndrome..

Woziak

What is our FFP situation? Wouldnt selling someone like Greenwood give FFP a massive boost? I thought Ineos putting some money in the club would help as well.
It’s more cash available than actual PSR/FSP. The club is allowed to lose
What is our FFP situation? Wouldnt selling someone like Greenwood give FFP a massive boost? I thought Ineos putting some money in the club would help as well.
The FFP/PSR situation for the last cycle was just about ok, however we were fined by UEFA who only allow £77m losses over 3 years not £105m like the PL.

Due to huge Covid concessions, the club was able to just sail past the line that would have meant serious punishment. Now with actual investment from SJR, the cash and PSR situation will improve but with his initial $200m cash injection and only £120m being used to pay off Company Credit Card, we are not flush with cash to make transfers. The actual amount allowed under UEFA FSP rules is 80% of the revenue generated last year can be spent on Wages, Agent Fees, Transfer and Owed Amortised Transfer fees for previous players. The EPL has no limit as yet which is why Chelsea could spend so much money, they were not competing in Europe.

The new EPL rule is allow 85% of your revenue if your not competing in Europe or 70% if you are, which will start in Season 25/26 and be Anchored to the bottom teams TV revenue multiplied by 4.5 or 5.

So assume United qualify for Europe ECL then they could effectively spend 80% of last year revenue of £648m or £518.4m.

This is why City and United both voted against the 4.5 times anchoring proposal
Assume the current last place club gets £103m multiplied by 4.5 would mean the maximum any Club could spend is £463.5m. That’s not coming in to 25/26 season so will not effect this year.

If the wages reduce by 25% from last year due to no CL that will reduce United club wages (That’s all employers not just players) from £330m to £250m, this also explains why Sir Jim is looking to cut 1100 employees down to 800 as well, cut backs to to make a leaner financial model that does not lose £41m when it generates £650m. Last summer United spent £35m on Agent Fees, this summer it will be more like £55-60m especially since they are back in bed with Jorges Mendes!

Then you have owed, amortised transfer or instalments owed this year for players like Casemiro, Antony, Mount and onana. That’s currently about £103m per year add that all together and you have £413m, leaving the club with about £105m of spend so yes we have to sell players and academy players represent pure profit on the books.

Selling A Fernandez, Greenwood, Mctominay for £70m would be huge and probably allow a £250-300m transfer spend, add Marcus at £75m and we could probably spend £400m this summer if the cash is available to do so?

https://www.skysports.com/amp/footb...ns-are-there-on-clubs-spending-what-they-want

E-mal

As long as they are covering all his wages and have an agreement with him for the permanent transfer, then yes

Bertie Wooster

I'm struggling to read it as I'm not registered with The Athletic, but that would be a really shit deal if we end up just loaning Greenwood out again next year.

You could understand it this year with the timing of it all, and doubts as to his form / fitness after not playing for so long. But having gone there and proven himself with decent goal and assist return, we should be capable of negotiating a permanent deal with a foreign club. And that's important as his sale is likely to be the one that gets us most return in terms of FFP.

GoldanoGraham

I'm struggling to read it as I'm not registered with The Athletic, but that would be a really shit deal if we end up just loaning Greenwood out again next year.

You could understand it this year with the timing of it all, and doubts as to his form / fitness after not playing for so long. But having gone there and proven himself with decent goal and assist return, we should be capable of negotiating a permanent deal with a foreign club. And that's important as his sale is likely to be the one that gets us most return in terms of FFP.
Cannot believe we would loan unless there is an obligation to buy - however we need the FFP numbers for this summer so surely we will do a straight sell to someone this summer.

Baxquux

Pointless. The player's value isn't going to increase by another season at Getafe, not a team that (letting him play for them aside) suits his strengths - and likelihood of another club coming in for him next summer isn't that much greater compared to this one. The only 'loan, should be somewhere with an obligation to buy (so the likes of Juve or Atletico, who combine profile, with reported interest, and ability to afford at least 40m euros plus success-related add-ons subject to shifting the cost onto next year's books and amortizing it over following 2-3 seasons).

In all honesty though, he's being kept out of the club by people (whether or not, their conclusions are right or wrong factually) don't have access to the full-evidence necessary to make that judgment intelligently or in good faith. SJR needs to review it with his own legal team, interview MG quickly again as needs be, and , if it still stands up (which it did for Arnold and, following new evidence, the CPS) retain the player. I'm very far from SJR's politics and very dubious about his stance on union negotiations and workplace rights, from what's been reported, but if he can 'lay down the law' to ordinary employees around WFH and 'cost-savings and redundancies and the rest for the 'good of the club', then he shouldn't be beholden to Debbie in HR and Mike in Marketing over whether a £multi-million asset gets to stay or go just because they want to (self)signal their virtuousness over a case they know as much about as the average twitter user/one of us.

Gavinb33

It’s more cash available than actual PSR/FSP. The club is allowed to lose

The FFP/PSR situation for the last cycle was just about ok, however we were fined by UEFA who only allow £77m losses over 3 years not £105m like the PL.

Due to huge Covid concessions, the club was able to just sail past the line that would have meant serious punishment. Now with actual investment from SJR, the cash and PSR situation will improve but with his initial $200m cash injection and only £120m being used to pay off Company Credit Card, we are not flush with cash to make transfers. The actual amount allowed under UEFA FSP rules is 80% of the revenue generated last year can be spent on Wages, Agent Fees, Transfer and Owed Amortised Transfer fees for previous players. The EPL has no limit as yet which is why Chelsea could spend so much money, they were not competing in Europe.

The new EPL rule is allow 85% of your revenue if your not competing in Europe or 70% if you are, which will start in Season 25/26 and be Anchored to the bottom teams TV revenue multiplied by 4.5 or 5.

So assume United qualify for Europe ECL then they could effectively spend 80% of last year revenue of £648m or £518.4m.

This is why City and United both voted against the 4.5 times anchoring proposal
Assume the current last place club gets £103m multiplied by 4.5 would mean the maximum any Club could spend is £463.5m. That’s not coming in to 25/26 season so will not effect this year.

If the wages reduce by 25% from last year due to no CL that will reduce United club wages (That’s all employers not just players) from £330m to £250m, this also explains why Sir Jim is looking to cut 1100 employees down to 800 as well, cut backs to to make a leaner financial model that does not lose £41m when it generates £650m. Last summer United spent £35m on Agent Fees, this summer it will be more like £55-60m especially since they are back in bed with Jorges Mendes!

Then you have owed, amortised transfer or instalments owed this year for players like Casemiro, Antony, Mount and onana. That’s currently about £103m per year add that all together and you have £413m, leaving the club with about £105m of spend so yes we have to sell players and academy players represent pure profit on the books.

Selling A Fernandez, Greenwood, Mctominay for £70m would be huge and probably allow a £250-300m transfer spend, add Marcus at £75m and we could probably spend £400m this summer if the cash is available to do so?

https://www.skysports.com/amp/footb...ns-are-there-on-clubs-spending-what-they-want
Yes sell those players for that much to spend that much now and then next year you'll have to find the same amount of sales from homegrown players again to balance the books, there's a reason why Chelsea are looking to sell all their HG talents still to balance the books eventually you'll run out of that production line and you'll be scraping for transfers

Withnail

Cannot believe we would loan unless there is an obligation to buy - however we need the FFP numbers for this summer so surely we will do a straight sell to someone this summer.
An obligation to buy with Getafe wouldn't get us a lot of money though. We'd obviously wasn't a bigger club to come in for him.

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020
Maybe we'd like for him to get another good year under his belt, another year further removed from the situation and his value rises.

Risky playing the long game here though. The player will have a say too.

Herschel Krustofsky

Supports
Balanced perspectives
An obligation to buy with Getafe wouldn't get us a lot of money though. We'd obviously wasn't a bigger club to come in for him.
Its a good backup plan, and puts teams eying a cheap deal (this summer) under a bit of pressure by creating a little fomo.

We would also activated his extension so reducing any buyer leverage for next summer too

Woziak

Yes sell those players for that much to spend that much now and then next year you'll have to find the same amount of sales from homegrown players again to balance the books, there's a reason why Chelsea are looking to sell all their HG talents still to balance the books eventually you'll run out of that production line and you'll be scraping for transfers
That’s why we need a a three window plan, let me explain if we do not qualify for Europe we are actually better off like Chelsea were this year because as yet there is no FSP rules in the PL. They are not due to start until Sumner 25/26 with a new anchoring deal. So for next summer there are two options; 1) we qualify for Europe and then we are limited to 80% of our previous year revenue which was £648m or 2) we don’t qualify for Europe and the club us governed by the current PSR rules of only being able to lose £115m over a 3 year period, with last year being the first year of the cycle, season 22/23. The 23/24 season, this season is 2nd and 24/25 next year being the last.

Due to INeos/Sir Jim investment of $200m/£159m we can increase three years loses to £105m, last year we lost £42m, this year with all the changes and the cuts backs plus surprisingly an increase in total revenue because of CL, the club might turn over £675m and reduce loses to £20m/ maybe even make a small profit.

Effectively the Club could spend what the want within reason on transfers like Chelsea did providing they have the cash to do so, selling players generates cash as well and less onus would be on academy players this summer and this winter transfer windows, however next summer we would probably have to sell £40-50m of academy players to get ready to play in Europe again where only 70% of Revenue would be allowed against a much reduced revenue next season without any European Football.

With European Football 24/25
SUMMER WINDOW
UEFA FSP -
£648m(80%- £518m allowance)
Wages £320m, Agent Fees £40m, Amortised £100m = £460m
Sell Greenwood £40m, A Fernandes £5m,
S Mctominay £40m, Hanibal £10m, F Pellistri £10m - Total £105m pure profit
Allowance now becomes £163m for transfers plus what you save on wages

Sell Casemiro £30m, Sancho £35m, B Williams released, S Shoretire released, DVB£5m, release Varane, Amrabat, Eriksen £5m, V Lindelof £15m.

Transfers are positive to neutral we owe £30m for Casemiro and £35m for Sancho but we save £1.4.m per week on wages added to a small profit of about £30m creates another £100m for the transfer war chest and more importantly cash, Saudi only pay in one instalment.

So by removing 12-13 players, the club can effectively even with PSR spend £300-350m, remember just because we have £163m now free against the allowance that would only be the transfer budget if we agreed to buy £163m and pay all of the payments up front which are never ever facilitated any more, most of these are in2/3 instalments hence the £300-400m budget.
Buying ; J Branthwaite(£60m), J C Todibo(£40m), J Frimpong (£35m),
A Rabiot(10m So Fee), R Barkley (4m So Fee), J Neves (£85m), M Olise(£55m)
Total - £290m - £180m
Net = £110

WINTER ‘24’ WINDOW
Buy; D Solanki(£55m), M Gutierrez (£25m)
Sell; Antony (£25m), AWB(15m)
Total - £80-£40m
Net = £40m

SUMMER ‘25’ TRANSFER WINDOW
Buy; A Silva(£80m), D Costa(£65m), A Wheaton/A Scott (40m) , R Leao (£85m)

Sell; Amad(£30m), M Rashford (£80m) , H Maguire (£15m)
Total - £270m - £125m
Net = £145m

This is how a structured three window re build would help the club however the cost would be £295-300m net spend over the next 18 months and would rely on the club being proactive in selling players first and using the FSP 70% to their advantage, it’s important to note that without European football the club revenue could reduce next season to maybe £600m and 70% of that is a £420m spend only on Wages, Agent Fees, Amortised Transfer and new Transfers, which would be hugely restrictive unless player wages are reduced considerably, remember club wages do not only include players, they also include the 1100 employed personal who claim expenses, petrol allowances and others perks of the job without being responsible for any success, Sir Jim has quickly jumped on this and he’s told his new CFO that he wants answers and quickly on how a top 5 club for revenue year in, year out continues to make a loss of £40m per year!!!

It’s also important to notice that if we did not qualify for Europe in 24/25 season as well but turned over £600m the club under the new EPL rules could spend 85% of that turnover not 70% which would be £510m, coincidentally the same amount the 5*Anchoring proposal of the bottoms Team’s TV revenue!

Last edited:

Woziak

I believe Getafe also have 20% sell on clause as part of the loan deal so if we were to agree let’s say €40m/£34m to Juventus this summer that comes into play, maybe we are trying to renegotiate that clause down to 10% for a further year loan in the hope that he really blows up next season and gets 20-25 Goals and Assists.