Transfer Tweets - Manchester United - 2023/24

lysglimt

Scout
The way some people seem to celebrate us losing our first choice goalkeeper is really stupid. Now we need to sign 2 goalkeepers, rather than 1. We realistically have to spend £70-80 million which we probably dont have a lot of - and that means we probably can forget about 1 outfield signing. And how about signing a really good goalkeeper before celebrating losing DDG first.

Remember the geese

The way some people seem to celebrate us losing our first choice goalkeeper is really stupid. Now we need to sign 2 goalkeepers, rather than 1. We realistically have to spend £70-80 million which we probably dont have a lot of - and that means we probably can forget about 1 outfield signing. And how about signing a really good goalkeeper before celebrating losing DDG first.
Needs must. Two keepers were always required irrespective of budget.

The White Pele

We have Kovar on the books who just won the Czech title with Sparta Prague so we’re not necessarily in a position where we have to use up transfer funds on two keepers.

He has stated his preference to continue his loan next season though.

Withnail

Seems odd for their to be internal conflict within the club regarding whether he should stay or go. I know the takeover sage makes this more difficult but it just doesn't seem like good planning. If we want him to stay as no.1 then his contract should have been sorted ages ago. If we wanted him to leave we should have been clear with him in order to be more active in the transfer window for a keeper. It seems like we were stuck in the middle or sort of wanting him to stay but in a no.2 position or at the very best as no.1 with a huge threat of losing his position (similar to Leno at Arsenal when they signed Ramsdale).

We're at least in a position where we can let DDG go and keep hold of Henderson until we find a no.1 keeper. Even if we couldn't find a replacement, I think we would manage okay with Henderson as the no.1 for a season. Even if he doesn't set the world alight, we'd still be able to sell Henderson next summer.
Henderson has burned his bridges. There's no way you could bring him back and give him the no 1 after how he's conducted himself imo and I can't see a disciplinarian like Ten Hag doing that.

redcucumber

Is it really that surprising? Fans are desperate for an upgrade and the cogs moving to make that happen is always going to be met positively. There's also a lot of belief that ten Hag will get a replacement that he wants so the optimism is well placed.

The White Pele

So the developments so far today are that Rashford is agreeing a new long-term deal and we’ve decided that a new number 1 GK is a priority. Good progress if so.

BlahRules

So the developments so far today are that Rashford is agreeing a new long-term deal and we’ve decided that a new number 1 GK is a priority. Good progress if so.
Progress! normally these incompetent fools will figure that in the last few weeks of the window.

OleGunnar20

I don't think we'd need two proper signings really. A top quality #1 along with one of our youngsters & some aging keeper on a free (there are always a few decent backups floating about) would do the trick I think. Even if we did need to sign a backup, considering the influence they have on the team - likely very little - I don't see a need to spend big at all.

I think moving on from DDG, great servant as he has been, is hugely important. He's just a pretty poor keeper all around these days unfortunately. And Henderson has burned his bridges and is only average anyway, so get shot of him too.

Rauður Djöfull

so they just decided a few days into the window they don't want De Gea to stay and need a new number 1?

shambolic planning yet again, and sale or no sale of club not helping either, have to back ETH this summer to continue the progress, sad and embarrassing to see this club in almost everything it does now

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
Do we? I would think we will be paying significantly less for someone like Onana or Costa and a modest fee on a 2nd choice. Let's not forget De Gea is our biggest earner, which certainly helps us getting that wage off the books.

sugar_kane

You can guarantee United will be stupid enough to announce De Gea's exit before signing a new keeper, thus doubling the price of all our targets.

They need to just go out and buy now, if Onana is really £45m - pay it immediately. Yes it's a big chunk of our budget, but we will claw a lot of that back on sales if (big if) the club do their job properly this summer.

Mou Mou Land

I don't think even our cowboy outfit is lax enough to keep escalating their price in negotiations (and eating into following Summer's budget) if they didn't get assurances that ETH wanted them to keep pursuing the player and was prepared to take the hit on budget in return for substantially paying above the odds for the player. Likewise the FDJ pursuit. I still blame the club more re. laxities in strategy and structure, including not having a strong enough DoF to ensure we had alternatives sounded out and lined up, but some of it is on ETH making decisions when he was asked to de facto serve as chief scout and director of strategy last summer. Imagine what a better position we'd be in if he picked up a player for 45m who could do most of the things Antony does, and then signed someone like an Enzo Fernandes when he was still cheap(er) for the remainder, or made a push for Caicedo or insert dynamic, technically good young CM.
To be honest, nearly everyone walking up and down outside OT on matchday can do the things Anthony does.

sleepehead

I think the switch to finding a new GK was because the market for a ST became way too expensive. I think they realized that their original targets got priced out so they switched their focus to finding a new #1 first. A new GK, a backup ST, 2 midfield signings and a new CB signing (young), I think will be our main goal this summer.

If there is a change in the ST market that's when we'll see movement. RM, Bayern, Chelsea, are all looking to buy new STs and no one has made a significant move there yet. So why waste time with an expensive ST when we can use that money on a new #1 first.

Devil You Know

if we didnt want to renew DeGea than surely it wouldve been more prudent to get someone in before his contract runs out and the selling club take us to the cleaners. or, even when it comes to such a critical part of the team, we dont know what it is we want or what we are doing.
The renewal offer looks like the ones we gave to Tevez and Pogba. Technically it's a new contract, but we don't really want them to sign it so we made it as difficult as possible knowing they'd reject and look like the asshole.

sparx99

The renewal offer looks like the ones we gave to Tevez and Pogba. Technically it's a new contract, but we don't really want them to sign it so we made it as difficult as possible knowing they'd reject and look like the asshole.
Mad thing is even the reduced terms are up there with the best paid goalkeepers.

gajender

Mad thing is even the reduced terms are up there with the best paid goalkeepers.
If that was the case the De Gea would have agreed to it way earlier it wouldn't have dragged beyond the end of the season .

What most probably had happened is De Gea's camp sat on the contract offer and tried to negotiate better one with United as well as fished for better terms Outside Of United but it didn't pan out and now it seems United are the one dragging their feet .

Last edited:

mazhar13

Kermit Inc. 2022
Scout
Looks like Bayern and United are competing over Rasmus Højlund as well:

Source (Tier 1 - Tobi Altschäffl):

sparx99

If that was the case the De Gea would have agreed to it way earlier it wouldn't have dragged beyond the end of the season .

What most probably had happened is De Gea's camp sat on the contract offer and tried to negotiate better one with United as well as fished for better terms Outside Of United but it didn't pan out and now it seems United are the one dragging their feet .
Rumour was 150k a week which would still be better paid than Ederson and around Allissons deal. The problem is its coming from 375k so seems like an insult.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
It will be extremely poor from the club if they are telling Dave he’s not wanted this late.

Crimson King

It will be extremely poor from the club if they are telling Dave he’s not wanted this late.
I think it's more they want him to take a pay cut and to accept he might not be first choice.

Sounds like he might be willing to accept the former, but wants assurances on the latter. Not sure they're actively trying to force him out, although I guess if you're cynical it does look that way.

No player should be guaranteed a place though. Not in successful teams, anyway.

Crimson King

Did people at the club wait until summer to come to this conclusion?
I doubt it. Probably not a good idea to piss off your GK part way through a season though, is it?

Why do you think EtH continually backed him, and only deviated from the script slightly after the cup final?

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
I think it's more they want him to take a pay cut and to accept he might not be first choice.

Sounds like he might be willing to accept the former, but wants assurances on the latter. Not sure they're actively trying to force him out, although I guess if you're cynical it does look that way.

No player should be guaranteed a place though. Not in successful teams, anyway.
All the reports I’ve seen say there has been broad agreement on a reduced wage for ages but a firm offer has not arrived and that the club seem to be in two minds.

Suv666

We need a flog a few off to Saudi everyone’s making loads selling them leftovers

Erik the Red

so they just decided a few days into the window they don't want De Gea to stay and need a new number 1?

shambolic planning yet again, and sale or no sale of club not helping either, have to back ETH this summer to continue the progress, sad and embarrassing to see this club in almost everything it does now
It's very easy to hate. DDG was earning way more than he should have been, far more than any other keeper in the world, a salary that he has not justified. He is a reasonably good goalkeeper in terms of his shot stopping, but does not command his area, and looks like a rabbit in the headlights every time he is passed the ball.

However, the club did not "just decide they don't want him". They do not want him to stay on his current salary, and he is unlikely to be our first choice next season, certainly not as a guaranteed starter, so any new salary has to reflect this new status. Presumably, DDG is not inclined to accept a big cut to his salary, so will likely leave. I am sure the club are working on a new goalkeeper (or even two), and when deal may already be agreed, but often deals are dependent on other deals, a bit like a housing "chain", as the selling club doesn't want to be without a keeper and be held to ransom.

People are acting like the club are completely incompetent, and some deals in the past were crazy, but I think that the last summer transfer window was actually pretty good, and I fully expect this summer to be another good one.

Reactions: mazhar13

gajender

Another one bites the dust then...
Why Our interest in him seems Genuine unlike Kim Min-Jae , so I don't believe it's a forgone conclusion we will miss out on even If Bayern are really interested in Him .

Infact If he is our primary Target then I think we will get him .

Last edited:

gajender

Rumour was 150k a week which would still be better paid than Ederson and around Allissons deal. The problem is its coming from 375k so seems like an insult.
You can't seriously believe that Ederson and Allison are on in and around 150 k a week only .

De Gea may find 150 k a week offer insulting but he isn't getting more than that atleast in Europe . I don't think he rated anything more than average keeper outside of United .

Dannn411

And another one gone. Some summer this is turning out to be.
Our fans love setting themselves up for disappointment. I never once boguht into the Kane or Osimhen hype that has engulfed the fanbase since January. One summary look at Levy and De Laurentis histories would have shown any reasonable person we had zero chance at either Kane or Osimhen.

Red_toad

Our fans love setting themselves up for disappointment. I never once boguht into the Kane or Osimhen hype that has engulfed the fanbase since January. One summary look at Levy and De Laurentis histories would have shown any reasonable person we had zero chance at either Kane or Osimhen.
Yep 100 million budget and apparently we splurge the lot of a striker.