Transfer Tweets - Manchester United - 2023/24

T00lsh3d

T00ly O' Sh3d
I think Mount allows us to play a proper 4-3-3 as opposed to the 4-2-3-1.

If you compare roles to say City’s midfield you can see a similar profile.

Rodri - Casemiro
De Bruyne - Bruno
Gundogan - Mount

You have the holding midfielder, the creator and the box to box. Mount would be a lot better than Eriksen/Fred at attacking the box from deep.
I like it….it does make the supposed interest in Rice a bit weird as I don’t know how he fits with them

Zed 101

Maybe he specifically wants Mount to pair him with Rice for the next 5 year plus, and Mount will help convince Rice to move up north. Solid British midfielders have served us well over the years, think Robson, Ince, Keane, Scholes and Butt. We have tried expensive foreigners, and they have struggled to adapt, such as Veron, Pogba and Fred. I wouldn't be averse to Rice and Mount to sort our midfield for the foreseeable future, alongside Casemiro and Eriksen.
Whilst I am not the biggest fan of Rice or mount, I have to agree that a midfield selection of Casemiro, Bruno, Amad, Mount, Rice and Eriksen (and potentially Sabitzer) looks pretty decent and reliable.

In regards to the failed foreign midfield experiments add Anderson, Kleberson, Djemba Dejemba

Erik the Red

I like it….it does make the supposed interest in Rice a bit weird as I don’t know how he fits with them
Firstly, Casemiro is suspended about half a dozen games a season, secondly, his legs are starting to go, and thirdly, he will gradually replace him as first choice number 6.

Also, in some games, particularly away from home, I expect us to revert to the more robust 4231, with Casemiro and Rice as the double pivot.

Having quality players gives a manager options. When we have players on the bench who the manager does not trust, we can't afford to be flexible, so picking three from Casemiro, Rice, Mount, Eriksen, Bruno and Mainoo suddenly looks much better than finding three from Casemiro, Eriksen, Bruno, Fred, Mctominay and VDB, where the first three pick themselves.

Pscholes18

I hope we walk away if they don't accept a reasonable offer. We need to stop giving in to these clubs that want to bleed us dry. He can't get into their 11, he has a year left on his contract and he wants to leave! 50 million sounds about right, doesn't it?
Very fair.

Matt851

I think Mount allows us to play a proper 4-3-3 as opposed to the 4-2-3-1.

If you compare roles to say City’s midfield you can see a similar profile.

Rodri - Casemiro
De Bruyne - Bruno
Gundogan - Mount

You have the holding midfielder, the creator and the box to box. Mount would be a lot better than Eriksen/Fred at attacking the box from deep.
Not convinced Bruno will ever really work as an 8 against half decent teams, and although mount might be a better option there than mcfred I still think there are better options around

Dr. Dwayne

Self proclaimed tagline king.
Do you think these city players are coming out the academy and not playing football elsewhere or something?

Do you think these city players who are dominating at youth level are not finding themselves clubs if they don't make it at city?

It's this thinking that were amazing are bringing players through for the sake of it that's allowed fans to accept weve actually fallen behind in youth development. We get one wonderkid every couple of years and it's "United's done it again." The owners have put no money into youth development and the structure has constantly changed the past couple of seasons. There's no shame in admitting we've fallen behind in that regard. We've not put any money into our youth whilst city have pumped money into there's.
Yeah, I don't hear about them so they don't seem to be making the step up. Foden and Sancho were all I could find.

Promoting a wonderkid every couple of years is fantastic. We seem to do it more than most and definitely more than City. Not sure why you'd scoff at that?

There's no shame in admitting our academy produces more and better footballers, either.

sparx99

Not convinced Bruno will ever really work as an 8 against half decent teams, and although mount might be a better option there than mcfred I still think there are better options around
He’d still have the least defensive responsibility of the three though and he did play well in games deep last season. His work rate and defensive work is on a par with KDB.

Erik the Red

Yeah, I don't hear about them so they don't seem to be making the step up. Foden and Sancho were all I could find.

Promoting a wonderkid every couple of years is fantastic. We seem to do it more than most and definitely more than City. Not sure why you'd scoff at that?

There's no shame in admitting our academy produces more and better footballers, either.
I wouldn't include Sancho in that list, as he never made the step up at City.

City have such a big squad, with strength in depth, that they are stunting opportunities for their academy graduates. Soon kids will not join their academy for lack of a clear progression route, or like Sancho and Lavia will leave at the earliest opportunity.

I think the compromise situation is to have the big squad but actively look to include kids in the match day squad, particularly for league Cup games, and give them minutes so they can work their way in to the team. Garnacho has done that, although you could argue that it was when Rashford was forced to play as a striker, but MG and Rashford have broken through as well in recent years. Foden is pretty much the only one at City in the last ten years.

croadyman

Firstly, Casemiro is suspended about half a dozen games a season, secondly, his legs are starting to go, and thirdly, he will gradually replace him as first choice number 6.

Also, in some games, particularly away from home, I expect us to revert to the more robust 4231, with Casemiro and Rice as the double pivot.

Having quality players gives a manager options. When we have players on the bench who the manager does not trust, we can't afford to be flexible, so picking three from Casemiro, Rice, Mount, Eriksen, Bruno and Mainoo suddenly looks much better than finding three from Casemiro, Eriksen, Bruno, Fred, Mctominay and VDB, where the first three pick themselves.
We are being used for Arsenal to pay up

sparx99

Yeah, with McTominay and Fred leaving you would need Rice to play a lot of games.

I’d imagine it would be Casemiro or Rice with Mount and Bruno for home games or ‘easier’ games. Then Rice and Casemiro with Bruno for away.

Mount can cover Bruno as well. So Casemiro, Rice and Mount.

A lot of top teams have somewhat had a 4 midfielder rotation.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
I hope we walk away if they don't accept a reasonable offer. We need to stop giving in to these clubs that want to bleed us dry. He can't get into their 11, he has a year left on his contract and he wants to leave! 50 million sounds about right, doesn't it?
100%. Mount isn't worth more than 45 imo. The only reason Chelsea are holding us for ransom is because its United.

AFC NimbleThumb

Exactly.

I like Mount but I’m awfully worried if EtH along with the many scouts we pay can’t find someone else. He does some things exceptionally well but he isn’t the type of player we should be bartering over, especially not with a year to go & players in similar situations being flogged for less.

Hopefully we leave the offer on the table & work on other things.

BestRed

Maybe he specifically wants Mount to pair him with Rice for the next 5 year plus, and Mount will help convince Rice to move up north. Solid British midfielders have served us well over the years, think Robson, Ince, Keane, Scholes and Butt. We have tried expensive foreigners, and they have struggled to adapt, such as Veron, Pogba and Fred. I wouldn't be averse to Rice and Mount to sort our midfield for the foreseeable future, alongside Casemiro and Eriksen.
:nono:

James35

Even if we sold McT, Fred and DvB we'd still have only sold 2 midfielders, DvB doesn't count.
The three combined can just about make one decent player. Mount alone will not be close to enough for us to progress. Hopefully at the very least we get a Rabiot also if money is tight.

Matt851

He’d still have the least defensive responsibility of the three though and he did play well in games deep last season. His work rate and defensive work is on a par with KDB.
He did well in games against poor teams generally. His workrate is good but his positioning isn't great. It's his use of the ball I would have greater issue with in a deeper role though

Wing Attack Plan R

Suv666

No way are we in for Rice. Casemiro and Rice can’t play together in a team struggling for goals. And its not like Casemiro is getting benched anytime soon.

Erik the Red

OK, I get it, but to all the people who called me out over referring to Keane as British, none of you noticed the other stretch, that the point I was making of the success we have had with British midfielders, and the person I was comparing to Keane was none other than Republic of Ireland star Declan Rice!!!!

Tom Van Persie

No relation
@ManUtd has also offered #vandeBeek a loan to @OfficialASRoma. For the Giallorossi it's not a priority at the moment, but the club will evaluate it in the next few days

Hernandez - BFA

The Way to Fly
@ManUtd has also offered #vandeBeek a loan to @OfficialASRoma. For the Giallorossi it's not a priority at the moment, but the club will evaluate it in the next few days

A loan is probably a wise move. If he finds form, maybe we can re-evaluate things in a year to see if he fancies another shot here. Along with him proving fitness. Or we can sell him for a small fee, but probably more than what we’d get for him at this moment in time.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
A loan is probably a wise move. If he finds form, maybe we can re-evaluate things in a year to see if he fancies another shot here. Along with him proving fitness. Or we can sell him for a small fee, but probably more than what we’d get for him at this moment in time.
I'm not sure. Last loan he had was a disaster. Would like to see him cleared off the wage bill and a pathway for younger players made clearer. We can't be waiting years on players to finally show they are good enough to be squad players.

Hernandez - BFA

The Way to Fly
I'm not sure. Last loan he had was a disaster. Would like to see him cleared off the wage bill and a pathway for younger players made clearer. We can't be waiting years on players to finally show they are good enough to be squad players.
My gosh, I forgot all about his Everton loan.

Maybe it’s worth getting rid of him if anyone can offer ~£8-10m for him.

Big Ben Foster

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Supports
Also support Vasco da Gama
No more re-evaluation please. Cut our losses and move on.

SAF is the GOAT

Why not offer him to Inter for Onana ?

Didn't Inter wanted Donny in the past if I'm not mistaken ?

croadyman

Exactly.

I like Mount but I’m awfully worried if EtH along with the many scouts we pay can’t find someone else. He does some things exceptionally well but he isn’t the type of player we should be bartering over, especially not with a year to go & players in similar situations being flogged for less.

Hopefully we leave the offer on the table & work on other things.
Yeah Kane is the guy we should be prioritising spend the budget on instead,reason being because he's best striker we can get. Surely we can find a cheaper midfielder than Mount with similar attributes

croadyman

Yeah signing Mount, Rice and Rabiot won't happen. Two of the 3? Very possible.

Rice/Rabiot, Mount, Eriksen, Bruno, Casemiro and VDB/Mainoo/McTominay.
Yeah two of them is a possibility but there is significant price gap between Rice/Rabiot