Transfer Tweets - Manchester United - 2023/24

Blood Mage

If the Hojlund deal falls through and we don't land a decent striker by the end of the window, we may have no choice but to put Greenwood back into the team and ride out the inevitable storm that will follow.

Big Ben Foster

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Supports
Also support Vasco da Gama
I’ll get derided for this but I think the way the club are treating No.11 is poor. More than understandable if they feel he can’t play for the club again but in that case sell or loan. He’s been off charges since what January/February, we shouldn’t have let this drag on. Surely there’s something going on that’s keeping this from a public resolution cause it’s a really strange the club are off on tour & he’s taking random training sessions.
I've maintained that regardless of what the decision is, the club needs to make it sooner rather than later, and stop kicking the can down the road. It's not fair to ETH and the squad.

Tarrou

I've maintained that regardless of what the decision is, the club needs to make it sooner rather than later, and stop kicking the can down the road. It's not fair to ETH and the squad.
It's probably made already. They want to keep him I reckon. All that is happening now is waiting for the right time/way to ease him back in. Loan first, probably.

sleepehead

Honestly if we're going to spend close to 60million for Hojlund and they want a bidding war let's see if Brighton would be open for Ferguson for the same amount.

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
Whatever decison they reach fine - but it's a joke that the club still havent decided on what to do with Greenwood.
We might have but publicly we'll wait until we've done some huge signing, so any news about him staying is not as big. We might have trouble finding any suitors if we look to sell, or maybe the plan we have for him is to loan him out then assess further, which could also be tricky to find a club and then announce it at the right time. It makes sense to me but yeah it's annoying.

lysglimt

Scout
If the Hojlund deal falls through and we don't land a decent striker by the end of the window, we may have no choice but to put Greenwood back into the team and ride out the inevitable storm that will follow.
We will sign a striker - I am 99% certain of that. It's obvious Kane was first choice - that failed, Højlund is number 2 - and you can be certain that ETH has a number 3, 4 and 5 on that list as well

Woziak

In my opinion, our MG decision is being delayed by the take over. Maybe one of the prospective buyers has indicated they’d want rid while the other would happily take him back?
Doesn’t stop you loaning him out for a season while you make an absolute decision?

Fox outside the box

We might have but publicly we'll wait until we've done some huge signing, so any news about him staying is not as big. We might have trouble finding any suitors if we look to sell, or maybe the plan we have for him is to loan him out then assess further, which could also be tricky to find a club and then announce it at the right time. It makes sense to me but yeah it's annoying.
This. It's crazy that fans think that if its not being reported on then it isn't happening. We won't know such a large amount of what's going on. With this in particular, we won't just be dawdling about, wondering what we should do. We'll have had many rounds of talks over the course of months with the player, legal, management etc.

It's so incredibly naive to think that because Romano isn't saying it, then it can't be happening. This is a really difficult case and situation to navigate, the risks and potential fallout along with the fact that the lad is a human being and one who has been at the club for many years mean that it's delicate enough for it to take time.

The way people talk about how they think this should be handled is hilarious and shows they just aren't anywhere near considered or informed enough to really be discussing it. Which is why I have generally not discussed this at all. I'm aware enough that it really is beyond my scope to have an informed opinion on, I will really only be able to use hindsight to judge what ultimately happens and whether it was right/wrong. I'm not stupid enough to think I have the knowledge etc to make assertions about what should happen here.

I suspect we know what we're doing, we will have done for quite some time. The player probably knows, he won't just be sat at home, waiting for Eric to text him with the outcome of whatever decision they finally decide to make. Seems like a lot of people just don't grasp the gravity of the situation. I get that they are impatient but so is my 3 year old when she wants Christmas to come.

Acquire Me

This. It's crazy that fans think that if its not being reported on then it isn't happening. We won't know such a large amount of what's going on. With this in particular, we won't just be dawdling about, wondering what we should do. We'll have had many rounds of talks over the course of months with the player, legal, management etc.

It's so incredibly naive to think that because Romano isn't saying it, then it can't be happening. This is a really difficult case and situation to navigate, the risks and potential fallout along with the fact that the lad is a human being and one who has been at the club for many years mean that it's delicate enough for it to take time.

The way people talk about how they think this should be handled is hilarious and shows they just aren't anywhere near considered or informed enough to really be discussing it. Which is why I have generally not discussed this at all. I'm aware enough that it really is beyond my scope to have an informed opinion on, I will really only be able to use hindsight to judge what ultimately happens and whether it was right/wrong. I'm not stupid enough to think I have the knowledge etc to make assertions about what should happen here.

I suspect we know what we're doing, we will have done for quite some time. The player probably knows, he won't just be sat at home, waiting for Eric to text him with the outcome of whatever decision they finally decide to make. Seems like a lot of people just don't grasp the gravity of the situation. I get that they are impatient but so is my 3 year old when she wants Christmas to come.
Well said and I think a lot of us is thinking exactly the same.

Eplel

Was it ever explained exactly why we can only do 1 transfer negotiation at a time?

izak

Supports
Glory Glory Red Devils
Was it ever explained exactly why we can only do 1 transfer negotiation at a time?
No it hasn't, but i feel tight budget would be the accurate assessment of that situation, so it's best to priorities and go after the list base on importance, which is why I think we missed out on Kim.

UnitedSofa

You'll Never Walk Away
This is clearly not the case this time around.

But previously Judge never answered his phone and the Glazers took so long to allow funds to be released to sell players.

This time we have competent people in charge and the Glazers are trying to sell so are releasing funds quicker so the playing team look more attractive to perspective buyers

Ayoba

Poster of Noncense.
Or maybe they're keeping him here as a back up option, just in case we can't land a striker this transfer window.

Red00012

In my opinion, our MG decision is being delayed by the take over. Maybe one of the prospective buyers has indicated they’d want rid while the other would happily take him back?
It’s got absolutely nothing to do with the takeover.

Ayoba

Poster of Noncense.
How do you know we're only doing 1 negotiation at a time? We could have been negotiating with mount, onana and even Hoijland at the same time, it's just the actual signing of the contract that happens independly. And that's hardly a surprise with the amount of legal and financial work required to get a multi-million pound deal.

UTD_Since_1978

I think ETH is happy to trust young players and give them a chance if he deems them good enough to make it. But he's not going to fall into the trap that many United fans do and blindly overhype them all expecting them to magically turn into elite players. The reality is the majority of our youth players will never be good enough
We need another "class of 92"

Borussia Teeth

Honestly if we're going to spend close to 60million for Hojlund and they want a bidding war let's see if Brighton would be open for Ferguson for the same amount.
[/
QUOTE]
No chance! The striker market is barren. When Ferguson eventually goes, it will be for more than Caicedo.

Woziak

We need another "class of 92"
We’ll we have A Garnaucho, K Mainoo, Omari Forson, D Gore, J Hughill, and Isaac Hansen-Aaroen, A Fernandez and M Jurado all featuring on the tour. The 23 was not that great but the U18 which won that youth cup highly talented and most were promoted to U23 a season early so now they’re finding their level.

I genuinely think that 3 or 4 will feature in the full squad within 2 years and 4 or 5 go on to have really good careers.

I can see K Mainoo, Garnaucho, D Gore, I Hansen all featuring in full squad within 2 years and I wouldn’t be surprised if Hughill, and Forson played PL football for us or another team and A Fernandez and Jurado were both sold back to La Liga for good values.

Add the 8 above to S Lacey, Amir Ibragimov who would be 19 and 18 respectively in 2 years and Kai Rooney who will be 16, I think the future’s pretty bright ?

Irrational.

We’ll we have A Garnaucho, K Mainoo, Omari Forson, D Gore, J Hughill, and Isaac Hansen-Aaroen, A Fernandez and M Jurado all featuring on the tour. The 23 was not that great but the U18 which won that youth cup highly talented and most were promoted to U23 a season early so now they’re finding their level.

I genuinely think that 3 or 4 will feature in the full squad within 2 years and 4 or 5 go on to have really good careers.

I can see K Mainoo, Garnaucho, D Gore, I Hansen all featuring in full squad within 2 years and I wouldn’t be surprised if Hughill, and Forson played PL football for us or another team and A Fernandez and Jurado were both sold back to La Liga for good values.

Add the 8 above to S Lacey, Amir Ibragimov who would be 19 and 18 respectively in 2 years and Kai Rooney who will be 16, I think the future’s pretty bright ?
How is Kai Rooney 16? :eek:

I feel old. :(

lysglimt

Scout

If a club like ours can produce 1 first-team player pr year, that is unbelievable. And by that, I mean someone who is an established first-team player over a fairly long period of time - not someone who plays 30-40 matches and then is sold. It's a question of being realistic - we are fighting to be the best team in the world - any team winning the P.L is now the best team in the world.

There simply isn't room for 4-5 youngsters from our own ranks unless they are world-class talents. The class of 92 probably never would have made it today, not all of them. The level of the P.L was much lower then, and United could afford to play with 4-5 youngsters and still finish at the top - that wouldn't have possible today.

So what are the problems ?

If you look at these players,: Dalot, Lindelof, Malacia, Fred, McTominay, Diallo, Pellistri, Garnacho, Mejbri, Maguire - these are players not good enough to play regularly (for some of them I am adding a "YET" to the end of that sentence). So in order to have a chance of breaking into the squad - you have to be better than these players. In addition you have to be playing in a position which isn't locked down by 2 quality players. If United sell Maguire and sign another quality central defender - what chance will an 20 or 21 year old central defender have of breaking into the first-team squad ? With the players we have right now - none until he gets 2-3 years of experience on loan.

You need to be a player that fits in the managers ideas of playing football and tactics - will a Joe Hugill fit ? A slow but hard-working attacked who scores goals. You need pace up front, will ETH go for a striker who lacks that ? Or how about Hansen-Aaroen - a slow, and small but very technical player. He can realistically only fit in 2 positions in a 3-man midfield. He is too slow to play in attack in 4-3-3, and he is too lightweight to be a defensive midfielder. So he is basically fighting a Mount or a Bruno for a position. And in 12-18 months - we probably have at least one more quality player there to replace Eriksen - in addition to Mainoo.

Injuries - you need to avoid injuries - and let's be realistic - 1-2 players almost every season has a career ended with injuries - often more. A couple of big injuries and realistically - you wont make it. For every Giggs and Beckham - there is a Thornley or a Cooke - or maybe an Ennis, Kambwala or a Mejia who all have had their careers derailed by injuries

Or maybe they just the motivation or determination to go all the way - like a Ravel Morrison.

So yes we have a lot of talented youngsters, but we have had that before - and still there havent been many players who established themselves at United over the last 20 years. Without checking, I would assume the number is somewhere just above 10 ? So if we can get 2 more players than Garnacho from players born 2004-2006 that would be amazing. But that is about all we can hope for.

SalfordRed18

Netflix and avocado, no chill
Supports
Ashwood City FC
Sorry but that's kinda ridiculous. It has absolutely nothing to do with the takeover.

SalfordRed18

Netflix and avocado, no chill
Supports
Ashwood City FC

Of all the players you listed there, a maximum of 2 will make it at United.

Lee565

You're talking like he's the victim, he's responsible for what he did and ruining his career not the club
He's not a victim, I know that but surely keeping him at the club and have him back in the side with the condition that he has therapy once every 2 weeks to a month would be positive way forward for all parties instead of moving him onto to another club to deal with headache because the club is more concerned with a squeaky clean image.

He deserves a second chance to turn around his sins and we can offer him access to best the best mental therapy where as other clubs may be far less negligible or just cash strapped to give access to the best psychologists etc..

Woziak

Of all the players you listed there, a maximum of 2 will make it at United.
Name them please ?
Making it at old Trafford means being in the squad of 25/27
We currently have Rashford, Garnaucho, Mainoo and Mctominay plus date I say it Johny Evans,, I’ll stick with my original 4 so 3 note to join Garnaucho.

Woziak

He isn't - he is 13
Just to be clear here I actually said within 2 years, Kai was born in 2009 so in 2025 he’s 16 just a month after the season starts I was very clear in what said because Shea Lacey is just 16 now and Amir Ibragimov just 15 , will Kai play in the same youth team as those two kids well if he’s like his dad the answer is yes ?

lysglimt

Scout
I said In 2 years time look at the post and he’s nearly 14 by the way?
I didn't reply to you - I did it to the guy who said "how is Kai Rooney 16 ? I feel old " :)

And he turns 14 in nov as I recall....

mazhar13

Kermit Inc. 2022
Scout
Whys that bloke tier 3? He was spot on throughout the Onana transfer
Because he's hit or miss, overall. Over the past few years, he's reported on a bunch of Italian transfers that didn't come off even though he reported some progress on them.

He has good sources, but they aren't that great. Notice how di Marzio hasn't reported on the Højlund transfer in great detail at this time.

SAFMUTD

Hope he has a good career, never looked like he had a chance to make it here unfortunately.

Dazzmondo

Wishing Charlie all the best. Don't see him ever being more than a Championship player at best but would be happy to see him prove me wrong