Transfer Tweets - Manchester United - 2023/24

SalfordRed18

Netflix and avocado, no chill
Supports
Ashwood City FC
Didn't James trafford play in League one?
I have no idea how City do it..
He just won the u21 euros not conceding a single goal in the tournament. Saved a last minute pen in the final too. That's how they did it.

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports
The only team that matters
It's kinda strange - in theory we could sell players for over £150 million without even weakening our team more than slightly in terms of the squad

Henderson £20 million
Maguire £30 million
Fred £12-15 million
McTominay £30 million
Fernandez £10 million
Pellistri £15 million
Diallo £15 million
Martial £10 million
Hannibal £15 million

Of course we would need a buy back clause for the youngsters - but if we sell these and buy a proven goalscorer and a world-class midfielder - we could fight for the title this season. Of course we wont be able to sell all these players, but the majority of them - we probably could sell.
So it's your expectation that the first XI are going to play every game and the subs bench consist mostly of U18's?

croadyman

I personally can’t see it until next summer at the very least for another CB & ST unless one pops up in the January window in which I’d hope we would be making at least an attempt for.

I genuinely won’t be surprised if Amrabat is our final signing of the summer (if we can get McTominay & Fred off the wage bill). I think Evans is Maguire’s replacement. Give him the early stages of the cup games. Fill in when he needs too if either Martinez or Varane are unavailable. Having said that, I would like another striker as we are still sort in that area unless Greenwood is going to be given that opportunity if he returns? Which is why I don’t think we will sign another one in this window as got a feeling that the club is going to give Greenwood an opportunity to redeem himself.
Yeah I think so too and it's why there hasn't been any talk of a backup 9 for ages

lysglimt

Scout
Not really.

The older and more experienced ones you listed are proving very difficult to shift due to a lack of offers, with high wages seeming to be a significant obstacle.

Meanwhile some of the highly rated younger ones were only acquired relatively recently and at considerable expense so that we have some young talent coming through to help supplement the main squad. Selling them defeats the purpose if we then have to source replacements, who in the current market would likely cost more than we recoup.

It maybe makes sense to sell one or two with buy back clauses if Ten Hag doesn’t think they’ll make it (like we have with Elanga) but there’s no way we’re selling Pellestri and Amad just to fund first team signings.
We have had offers for both Maguire and McTominay which we have rejected and chances are we will get new offers before the season starts - will Amad play regularly for us this season ? No - am I convinced he will make it at United ? No. So we might as well sell him to fund new signings with a buy-back clause. I see no problems with that. This isn't Giggs or Rooney we are talking about. He might make it, but right now we need £20 million more than we need Amad Diallo.

Zed 101

I'd rather have Felix (on loan) than Sancho for our plan C 'false 9', tbh, for all the notoriously scattershot finishing...
But didn't Felix's Chelsea loan cost them nearly £1m per game? even if you ignore that we still have Sancho to either get rid of or play, given the supposed state of our finances cannot see any chance that Felix is given a moments consideration

Crimson King

We have had offers for both Maguire and McTominay which we have rejected and chances are we will get new offers before the season starts - will Amad play regularly for us this season ? No - am I convinced he will make it at United ? No. So we might as well sell him to fund new signings with a buy-back clause. I see no problems with that. This isn't Giggs or Rooney we are talking about. He might make it, but right now we need £20 million more than we need Amad Diallo.
Amad is injured for the start of the season so he won't be going anywhere yet.

Rightnr

Wants players fined for winning away.
Happy we're linked with that guy. By all accounts the better (and younger) option himself and Disasi.

Dannn411

Desperately need to get some of these bigger pieces of deadwood out ASAP. Names we are being linked to are so good. Todibo and Amrabat are dream replacements for Maguire and Fred.

Zumbi

You were arguing we could/should sell 9 players for £150 million and we’re just pointing out that’s a footy manager fantasy. It’s not engaged with our current reality. Even if possible, which it’s not, your approach would mess with our squad depth and strip us of some of our most promising young talent in one fell swoop.

Yes we’ve apparently received offers for a couple players but they’ve been low ball offers so we haven’t accepted them. This doesn’t back up your case, it backs up our argument that selling them all for the numbers you’ve quoted is not going to happen. Hopefully we sell a couple more players and it’s enough to get Arambat and maybe a young back up CB if Maguire leaves. That’s the best case scenario we’re looking at here.

No one is claiming Amad is Giggs or Rooney but that doesn’t change the fact that he’s not going to be sold this summer (and that’s ignoring the fact that he’s injured right now anyway). We supposedly bought him in a £37 million package just a few years ago so we’re not shipping him out for a loss right now just to partially fund another purchase, especially when £20 million in the current market wouldn’t even get us an equivalent prospect. He’ll be given an opportunity to prove himself, either here or on loan.

lysglimt

Scout
You were arguing we could/should sell 9 players for £150 million and we’re just pointing out that’s a footy manager fantasy. It’s not engaged with our current reality. Even if possible, which it’s not, your approach would mess with our squad depth and strip us of some of our most promising young talent in one fell swoop.

Yes we’ve apparently received offers for a couple players but they’ve been low ball offers so we haven’t accepted them. This doesn’t back up your case, it backs up our argument that selling them all for the numbers you’ve quoted is not going to happen. Hopefully we sell a couple more players and it’s enough to get Arambat and maybe a young back up CB if Maguire leaves. That’s the best case scenario we’re looking at here.

No one is claiming Amad is Giggs or Rooney but that doesn’t change the fact that he’s not going to be sold this summer (and that’s ignoring the fact that he’s injured right now anyway). We supposedly bought him in a £37 million package just a few years ago so we’re not shipping him out for a loss right now just to partially fund another purchase, especially when £20 million in the current market wouldn’t even get us an equivalent prospect. He’ll be given an opportunity to prove himself, either here or on loan.
I am convinced we could sell the majority of those 9 players - not all 9, I agree with that - and replace them with 3-4 players with a net spend of no more than an additional £50 million which we can afford because we will cust wagecosts quite a lot.

As for our squad - I dont even see a problem as the majority of those players don't even play.

The squad we will have left will be

Onana, Heaton + one of the youngsters

Malacia, Shaw, Lindelof, Varane, Martinez, AWB, Dalot

Bruno, Mount, Casemiro, Eriksen, Mainoo

Greenwood, Rashford, Sancho, Højlund, Garnacho, Antony

Add to that - Amrabat for £30 million, a world-class midfielder, a proven goalscorer and a defender as replacement for Maguire. Tidibo has been mentioned for about £30 million.

That will be an almost complete squad.....

As for "This doesn’t back up your case, it backs up our argument that selling them all for the numbers you’ve quoted is not going to happen" - let us wait until the end of august and see what offers come in

Zed 101

Good for him, I guess has the integrity to value first team football over glamour and cash, be different if we were offering him 1st team chances but probably does not believe he will get any opportunity with Onana's age and profile

croadyman

I am convinced we could sell the majority of those 9 players - not all 9, I agree with that - and replace them with 3-4 players with a net spend of no more than an additional £50 million which we can afford because we will cust wagecosts quite a lot.

As for our squad - I dont even see a problem as the majority of those players don't even play.

The squad we will have left will be

Onana, Heaton + one of the youngsters

Malacia, Shaw, Lindelof, Varane, Martinez, AWB, Dalot

Bruno, Mount, Casemiro, Eriksen, Mainoo

Greenwood, Rashford, Sancho, Højlund, Garnacho, Antony

Add to that - Amrabat for £30 million, a world-class midfielder, a proven goalscorer and a defender as replacement for Maguire. Tidibo has been mentioned for about £30 million.

That will be an almost complete squad.....

As for "This doesn’t back up your case, it backs up our argument that selling them all for the numbers you’ve quoted is not going to happen" - let us wait until the end of august and see what offers come in
Which WC midfielder have you got in mind obviously for next summer,be very surprised if we are in the market for January UNLESS takeover actually still happens

Think it has become crystal clear there is no desire to bring in that proven goalscorer to supplement Hojlund. Convinced this died down when the prospect of Greenwood coming back got stronger.

lysglimt

Scout
Which WC midfielder have you got in mind obviously for next summer,be very surprised if we are in the market for January UNLESS takeover actually still happens

Think it has become crystal clear there is no desire to bring in that proven goalscorer to supplement Hojlund. Convinced this died down when the prospect of Greenwood coming back got stronger.
I don't have one in mind, but I can only think of 3-4 central midfielders being sold for £80 million - so I am sure we could easily find 1 who is a mobile better version of Eriksen

And yes I agree with the latter part, but Højlund and Greenwood wont shoot us to the title, at least not this season .

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
Good for him, I guess has the integrity to value first team football over glamour and cash, be different if we were offering him 1st team chances but probably does not believe he will get any opportunity with Onana's age and profile
20 year old wants to play first team football. Think that's a wise move on his part, granted his career might stagnate and he never gets the chance to play for a top club but if he believes in his ability then playing first team football is far more important than being stuck in our youth team or being farmed out on loan to god knows who season after season. At least this way he gets to stay at the same club and be settled while getting first team football.

Fair fecks to the lad. Wish him well.

DutchSerb

Supports
FC Groningen
Losing Kim was so annoying
If we got him this would have been my favorite transfer window, probably ever. Todibo would be a nice addition but apparently our front office is delusional and thinks Harry's actually worth something. Should've shipped him out for the reported 20-25m. Probably would've costed us financially, but better to lose money than to let him continue to lose us games.

croadyman

If we got him this would have been my favorite transfer window, probably ever. Todibo would be a nice addition but apparently our front office is delusional and thinks Harry's actually worth something. Should've shipped him out for the reported 20-25m. Probably would've costed us financially, but better to lose money than to let him continue to lose us games.
Was desperately hoping Maguire pushed for the move soon as window opened so we could really have rivalled Bayern for him. Look if that happened and he still decided to join them then fair enough but frustrated we will never get the answer on that

the_cliff

Their first offer was 25. If it's true they're coming back in for him they know they'll have to cough up more.