Transfer Tweets - Manchester United - 2023/24

Xaviboy

I know its early days still and hope i'm wrong but think we will have a disappointing 1st half of season if we don't improve that midfield in this window and even bring in another attacker to get goals. We can't wait till Jan. Got big games coming up which includes champions league, we could get a nasty group draw. Need more quality/depth in that midfield. Casemiro gets sent off or picks up injury, midfield shape gone straight away.

We have paid big money for Hojlund and there's a chance he might only play 1 game here and be rested the next with the injury he suppose to have and we expect him to hit ground running with goals.

We can't play Rashford upfront offer next to nothing centrally and Martial is a sick note.

binary bot
Has to be a midfielder. Selling Fred for that fee and not replacing him is a worrying level of incompetence

KiD MoYeS

Good Craig got his c'nuppins
Has to be a midfielder. Selling Fred for that fee and not replacing him is a worrying level of incompetence
Its a one-in, one-out model - Mount has been brought in and Fred was sold. My guess is that McTominay will need to go for another midfielder to come in.

Dazzmondo

Its a one-in, one-out model - Mount has been brought in and Fred was sold. My guess is that McTominay will need to go for another midfielder to come in.
Fred and Mount are completely different types of players. To replace one with the other and no one else is itself incompetent

KiD MoYeS

Good Craig got his c'nuppins
Fred and Mount are completely different types of players. To replace one with the other and no one else is itself incompetent
As far as the decision makers at the club go, both Fred and Mount are midfielders and deployed in a midfield three. No difference from their perspective.

Dazzmondo

As far as the decision makers at the club go, both Fred and Mount are midfielders and deployed in a midfield three. No difference from their perspective.
Then they're idiots and probably shows why we've wasted so much money to achieve so little for so long

Highfather_24

Fred and Mount might be different players, but both are/were used as an advanced #8. Not as a #6 or #10. As a high energy ball winning midfielder, same role Sabitzer played. So I get the Fred out Mount in logic.

groovyalbert

it's a mute point
This is turning into a pretty shocking window truth be told. Bar the goalkeeper, we've not made any clear and obvious improvements, and we have areas in serious need of addressing.

Dazzmondo

Anyone else a bit concerned that we're trying to sell so many of our highest rated young players for really low fees? What if ETH isn't here after this season and we get a manager more interested in using the academy but we no longer have the option to use it?

People make fun of Chelsea but at least they're setting themselves up for the future by investing in so many highly regarded young players. They've got a lot of talents with potential to grow for less than £35m each, whereas our team looks set to dead end within a few years. Even the good talents we do have like Mainoo, Garnacho, Pellistri and Diallo, most on here seem happy to loan, sell or seem aghast at the idea of possibly playing them. With the possible exception of Garnacho it doesn't feel like we're planning for any of them to be starting xi players in the future.

Considering this has been one of the hallmarks of our club for years, I don't feel particularly comfortable with us completely abandoning this. I do wonder if a Rashford would really break out in the same way he did if he was coming through today.

P-Nut

fan of well-known French footballer Fabinho
Anyone else a bit concerned that we're trying to sell so many of our highest rated young players for really low fees? What if ETH isn't here after this season and we get a manager more interested in using the academy but we no longer have the option to use it?

People make fun of Chelsea but at least they're setting themselves up for the future by investing in so many highly regarded young players. They've got a lot of talents with potential to grow for less than £35m each, whereas our team looks set to dead end within a few years. Even the good talents we do have like Mainoo, Garnacho, Pellistri and Diallo, most on here seem happy to loan, sell or seem aghast at the idea of possibly playing them. With the possible exception of Garnacho it doesn't feel like we're planning for any of them to be starting xi players in the future.

Considering this has been one of the hallmarks of our club for years, I don't feel particularly comfortable with us completely abandoning this. I do wonder if a Rashford would really break out in the same way he did if he was coming through today.
They just aren't that good. Our academy has been far behind the likes of Chelsea and City for a good decade or so now, and both of those clubs are still selling the majority of their players that come through.

Lewis Hall for example is supposed to be the best of his age group at Chelsea and he's being sold rather than integrated into the first team set up. Unless you're an outstanding talent the mist likely outcome is that you'll be sold.

It is also worth noting that Garnacho broke through last season and its likely that Mainoo does similar this year

Erik the Red

The "Fergie Fledglings" and the "Class of 92", came through at a time when the first team was an absolute disaster (yes, even worse than our current team). We should only be expecting one or two to step up from the academy each year at a maximum. Anything more than this would be too disruptive, relying on a bunch of kids with the pressure of immediate success being required.

Rashford is one of our most important players and MG would certainly be a first teamer on footballing ability, and both of these came through the academy. Last season we had Garnacho's breakthrough, and before his injury it looked like Mainoo had a real chance to get minutes this year - hopefully he recovers quickly.

Selling the rest at the age of 19 - 20 is absolutely the right thing to do, and inserting a buyback clause obviously gives you a second bite in case the decision to let go was incorrect. Otherwise, giving the Brandon Williams of this world a new contract is bad for the player (if he can't break through) and bad for the club if they will end up loaning out, subsidising wages, and letting them leave on a free three years later.

It is obviously much easier and more popular to criticise Arnold, the Glazers, the manager, the players, etc, but a lot of the criticism here is unjustified. The club is moving in the right direction, finally, and if fans can't appreciate that from the recruitment policy, results on the pitch, etc., then I'm sorry, but you don't really understand football.

Dazzmondo

They just aren't that good. Our academy has been far behind the likes of Chelsea and City for a good decade or so now, and both of those clubs are still selling the majority of their players that come through.

Lewis Hall for example is supposed to be the best of his age group at Chelsea and he's being sold rather than integrated into the first team set up. Unless you're an outstanding talent the mist likely outcome is that you'll be sold.

It is also worth noting that Garnacho broke through last season and its likely that Mainoo does similar this year
I do agree with you that our academy has fallen behind a lot of teams which does make me sad, but at the same time, we just won the FA Youth Cup 2 seasons ago. Garnacho was the star but Jurado did very well that season and he's already been sold. ETH clearly appreciates Mainoo, but is he really going to be a starter? If he was fit, would he be starting the game against Forest considering Mount is injured? I doubt it personally.

Hannibal and Fernandez have both been very good for our underage teams and both had loans to the Championship where Fernandez in particular performed very well. Despite this all signs point to us being prepared to sell both, even with us lacking squad depth in these positions. Ethan Laird had an excellent season on loan to Swansea but we never gave him a chance here before selling him. Similar case with Garner.

We'll see if Hansen-Aaroen and Gore get any mins this season but again I'm sceptical. We might not have the best academy anymore, but there are still talented players in there. I don't mind selling players if we at least get a good fee like we did with Elanga for example, but most of our young player sales aren't even reaching £5m. At least in the case of Lewis Hall, Chelsea are getting a £35m fee.

I don't know, I think people have become a bit too accustomed to just thinking young players aren't going to be good enough, can't give them any game time. I noticed a lot of people on here hating on Pellistri for some reason when he's actually done really well anytime he's actually come on. He's also a full Uruguay international who played regularly at the last World Cup, yet many on here act like the idea of starting him instead of Antony for 1 or 2 games is insanity. He might not end up being better than Antony, but we could at least give him a chance before writing him off. Why do we default to he's not good enough if we didn't buy a player for £80m?

johnnyteutonic

I do agree with you that our academy has fallen behind a lot of teams which does make me sad, but at the same time, we just won the FA Youth Cup 2 seasons ago. Garnacho was the star but Jurado did very well that season and he's already been sold. ETH clearly appreciates Mainoo, but is he really going to be a starter? If he was fit, would he be starting the game against Forest considering Mount is injured? I doubt it personally.

Hannibal and Fernandez have both been very good for our underage teams and both had loans to the Championship where Fernandez in particular performed very well. Despite this all signs point to us being prepared to sell both, even with us lacking squad depth in these positions. Ethan Laird had an excellent season on loan to Swansea but we never gave him a chance here before selling him. Similar case with Garner.

We'll see if Hansen-Aaroen and Gore get any mins this season but again I'm sceptical. We might not have the best academy anymore, but there are still talented players in there. I don't mind selling players if we at least get a good fee like we did with Elanga for example, but most of our young player sales aren't even reaching £5m. At least in the case of Lewis Hall, Chelsea are getting a £35m fee.

I don't know, I think people have become a bit too accustomed to just thinking young players aren't going to be good enough, can't give them any game time. I noticed a lot of people on here hating on Pellistri for some reason when he's actually done really well anytime he's actually come on. He's also a full Uruguay international who played regularly at the last World Cup, yet many on here act like the idea of starting him instead of Antony for 1 or 2 games is insanity. He might not end up being better than Antony, but we could at least give him a chance before writing him off. Why do we default to he's not good enough if we didn't buy a player for £80m?
Lewis Hall was super promising from what I saw of him last season at Chelsea.
I'm not surprised he was sold for such a high amount.

Blood Mage

This is turning into a pretty shocking window truth be told. Bar the goalkeeper, we've not made any clear and obvious improvements, and we have areas in serious need of addressing.
The Glazers won't give a feck, they're on the way out. As far as they're concerned it won't be their problem soon.

Sea-Cow

Why is there so much focus on here going on and on about replacing players who don’t need replaced. Varane has plenty gas left. Now a no4/5 CH if Harry see sense is a different matter but until he goes we’re set at CH.
Doesn't he have back problems? That isn't going to improve as he gets older, but he will just miss more and more time and get more and more immobile.

Blood Mage

8th place finish and eth sacked here we go
Ten Hag will be given the season I'm sure. He certainly won't be dismissed by the Glazers, maybe by the next owners though.

This is starting to look like another season where the wheels come off but it's the result of a shocking transfer window at the end of the day (that Ten Hag has to take partial blame for of course).

Dannn411

To say i'm disappointed with how this window is ending would be an understatement. Genuinely thought we'd turned the corner off the pitch. Guess not.

Dazzmondo

The "Fergie Fledglings" and the "Class of 92", came through at a time when the first team was an absolute disaster (yes, even worse than our current team). We should only be expecting one or two to step up from the academy each year at a maximum. Anything more than this would be too disruptive, relying on a bunch of kids with the pressure of immediate success being required.

Rashford is one of our most important players and MG would certainly be a first teamer on footballing ability, and both of these came through the academy. Last season we had Garnacho's breakthrough, and before his injury it looked like Mainoo had a real chance to get minutes this year - hopefully he recovers quickly.

Selling the rest at the age of 19 - 20 is absolutely the right thing to do, and inserting a buyback clause obviously gives you a second bite in case the decision to let go was incorrect. Otherwise, giving the Brandon Williams of this world a new contract is bad for the player (if he can't break through) and bad for the club if they will end up loaning out, subsidising wages, and letting them leave on a free three years later.

It is obviously much easier and more popular to criticise Arnold, the Glazers, the manager, the players, etc, but a lot of the criticism here is unjustified. The club is moving in the right direction, finally, and if fans can't appreciate that from the recruitment policy, results on the pitch, etc., then I'm sorry, but you don't really understand football.
First of all, that part about the team being an absolute disaster when the Class of 92 came through is nonsense. The team had just bottled the league in the 91/92 season and absolutely should have won the title that season. They then won each of the next 2 titles, barely lost the 3rd PL title before winning the next 2. The first season where the Class of 92 got any significant league mins was in 94/95 for Gary Neville and to a lesser extent Butt and Scholes and 95/96 for Beckham and Phil Neville. Until 95 the only youngsters we had in that team were Giggs and Sharpe (who most don't even remember for how good he was now). Not counting the Class of 92, in those years from 92-96, we had Schmeichel, Irwin, Pallister, Bruce, Ince, Keane, Giggs, Sharpe, Kanchelskis, Cantona, Hughes, McClair, Cole - all great/amazing players. Even the weak links like Paul Parker, were considered very good players before we signed them. Ferguson made the decision to sell Ince, Kanchelskis and Hughes because of the talent he knew we had in the academy. The Class of 92 broke into the team because of their talent and because they were given the chance. They didn't walk into some crap team out of desperation. To try to suggest that team was worse than the current squad is laughable.

Rashford broke into the team 8 years ago. He should hardly be considered within the same generation as the last few seasons where it's really only been Greenwood and Garnacho that have broken through. I don't mind selling for decent fees, but we're receiving basically nothing for these sales, so what's the point in selling them? If nothing else, they offer squad depth for low wages instead of giving average or bad players £120k+ per week contracts and then being unable to sell them on. Look at Chelsea's bench this season and it's mostly made up of young players. Similar with Liverpool and even City.

Fernandez and Hannibal both play in positions where we are lacking depth currently, yet we are looking to sell them for some reason. It doesn't make sense unless we get big fees for them, which we undoubtedly won't. Our team isn't playing well and in truth hasn't played well going all the way back to the League Cup final. Considering this, I'd like to see some players given a chance before deciding they can't make it. Plenty of our 1st team players have had awful performances continuously for the last few years but still get plenty of chances to redeem themselves and don't get written off in the same way our young players so often do.

How you've come to the conclusion we are moving in the right direction after the transfer window we've just had, the results and performances to start the season is beyond me. We've clearly made big mistakes this summer. One of the things I'm most looking forward to in the takeover (hopefully it happens) is a complete restructuring of our academy, recruitment and transfer policy, removal of Arnold as DOF and getting in talented football people who know what they're doing and aren't chosen through nepotism.

Right now, the model seems to just be ignore our scouts and sign whoever ETH asks for, unless we start badly and then we'll panic and buy a superstar, even if it means bringing us right to the limits of breaching FFP. Amazing how many people on this forum seem to support this model (moreso the manager choosing the signings than the superstar part) despite all the best run clubs, most widely praised for their recruitment clearly operating on a DOF and scout team model. The evidence for successful recruitment is there, but people want to just ignore it anyway then wonder how Brighton consistently get so many great hidden gems.

Dazzmondo

Lewis Hall was super promising from what I saw of him last season at Chelsea.
I'm not surprised he was sold for such a high amount.
Neither am I, but they do have other options in that position in Chilwell, Cucurella (yes bad so far but still in the squad) and Maatsen (and Colwill has played there too). Because of the squad depth they have in the position, their issues with FFP and the good fee they received, I can understand why they made the decision to sell even if most Chelsea fans are unhappy with it. Unlike us, Chelsea have a massive amount of other young players that could contribute to the team.

glasgow 21

Ten Hag will be given the season I'm sure. He certainly won't be dismissed by the Glazers, maybe by the next owners though.

This is starting to look like another season where the wheels come off but it's the result of a shocking transfer window at the end of the day (that Ten Hag has to take partial blame for of course).
Winter was no money ,no signings and summer has been curtailed by the De Gea situation of which we know little. After going in for Onana and Hojlund there is no money left as sales are minimal. So this is all ETH's fault ? get a grip.

Erik the Red

How you've come to the conclusion we are moving in the right direction after the transfer window we've just had, the results and performances to start the season is beyond me. We've clearly made big mistakes this summer. One of the things I'm most looking forward to in the takeover (hopefully it happens) is a complete restructuring of our academy, recruitment and transfer policy, removal of Arnold as DOF and getting in talented football people who know what they're doing and aren't chosen through nepotism.
I never quoted a time frame, and two games (three points is hardly a disaster) is clearly not a timescale to judge by. Onana for De Gea is probably an upgrade, Mount is a good player, but massively lacking in confidence, and also needs to learn the ETH way. Hojlund hasn't played yet but is one of the most exciting young strikers in the world. A few more in and outs would be helpful (GK, CB, CM, ST), but we are still hamstrung by the wages given out to Martial, Maguire, etc. by the previous regime, so can't shift these players. Henderson would have gone but got injured I believe. Mctominay is the only one where arguably we are asking for too much.

However, we have our best manager since Ferguson, and ETH has a vision of how he wants to play, but it takes time to teach that. At Ajax, I believe the kids he brought through were already playing the Dutch style total football that ETH is trying to replicate here. It was much easier for them to slot in to first team football when they are trained in that style. This will happen over time as his methods will filter down to the academy teams.

At United, Ferguson took three years to win the FA Cup, so we need to give ETH time. It is difficult to implement a new style, especially without a striker. Our chance creation has actually been OK, but we have no fit strikers, and due to public pressure we are letting another top striker leave. I would still be disappointed if we don't replace Greenwood with another striker this window, as Martial cannot be relied upon so it is all on Hojlund. The Casemiro, Mount, Bruno experiment is still taking baby steps, and despite the dull viewing, statistically was OK, creating chances.

ETH knows what he is doing, but he started off with a team that was well behind City and Arsenal, so he needs to be given time. On balance, I see more success over the next 5 years with the Glazers and ETH than if Qatar come in and turn us into a circus.

I also struggle to understand anyone who was Greenwood out Qatar in. Do these people not understand the human rights issues over there? Greenwood was an individual who the club determined did not commit the crimes he was accused of, but was denied the opportunity to rebuild his life / career at OT - it appears that the only reason for this was the unwanted exposure the situation would generate for him, his family and the club. But a state run, institutionalised, catalogue of human rights issues is fine??? Please explain...

Borussia Teeth

What sucks about the pellestri loan is that it means sancho is definitely staying for another forgettable season from him
I never quoted a time frame, and two games (three points is hardly a disaster) is clearly not a timescale to judge by. Onana for De Gea is probably an upgrade, Mount is a good player, but massively lacking in confidence, and also needs to learn the ETH way. Hojlund hasn't played yet but is one of the most exciting young strikers in the world. A few more in and outs would be helpful (GK, CB, CM, ST), but we are still hamstrung by the wages given out to Martial, Maguire, etc. by the previous regime, so can't shift these players. Henderson would have gone but got injured I believe. Mctominay is the only one where arguably we are asking for too much.

However, we have our best manager since Ferguson, and ETH has a vision of how he wants to play, but it takes time to teach that. At Ajax, I believe the kids he brought through were already playing the Dutch style total football that ETH is trying to replicate here. It was much easier for them to slot in to first team football when they are trained in that style. This will happen over time as his methods will filter down to the academy teams.

At United, Ferguson took three years to win the FA Cup, so we need to give ETH time. It is difficult to implement a new style, especially without a striker. Our chance creation has actually been OK, but we have no fit strikers, and due to public pressure we are letting another top striker leave. I would still be disappointed if we don't replace Greenwood with another striker this window, as Martial cannot be relied upon so it is all on Hojlund. The Casemiro, Mount, Bruno experiment is still taking baby steps, and despite the dull viewing, statistically was OK, creating chances.

ETH knows what he is doing, but he started off with a team that was well behind City and Arsenal, so he needs to be given time. On balance, I see more success over the next 5 years with the Glazers and ETH than if Qatar come in and turn us into a circus.

I also struggle to understand anyone who was Greenwood out Qatar in. Do these people not understand the human rights issues over there? Greenwood was an individual who the club determined did not commit the crimes he was accused of, but was denied the opportunity to rebuild his life / career at OT - it appears that the only reason for this was the unwanted exposure the situation would generate for him, his family and the club. But a state run, institutionalised, catalogue of human rights issues is fine??? Please explain...
The explanation, bro: is that many posters on this forum are massive hypocrites.

parmenio

Doesn't he have back problems? That isn't going to improve as he gets older, but he will just miss more and more time and get more and more immobile.
if that was the case he would never pass a medical. He’s a brilliant player and we need more at his level. He’s still as fast as any of our defence for sure. More worrying to me is the midfield. Mount was ETH’s first buy and him and Bruno look far to lightweights to work in a midfield 3. We need a min of 1 more in midfield Imo. I was hoping for a late buying spree funded by Qatar but that’s not looking likely.

Dazzmondo

I doubt you'll find many agreeing with your assessment that the Glazers staying would be best for the club. If you want to take a moral side that's your right, but that doesn't mean the outcome of staying with the Glazers is going to be better than under Qatar. The likelihood of Utd becoming a success under the Glazers is far lower than the likelihood of that happening under Qatar. You can stick your head in the sand if you want, but the club isn't getting any closer to a title under Glazer ownership.

Hoping for a takeover from a non-Qatar owner would make more sense than wanting the Glazers to stay.

Real Name

Winter was no money ,no signings and summer has been curtailed by the De Gea situation of which we know little. After going in for Onana and Hojlund there is no money left as sales are minimal. So this is all ETH's fault ? get a grip.
I'd leave it. He's in top 5 of negative nancies on the cafe.