g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

Transfer window grades for PL clubs

SinNombre

Curious how the Caf thinks different clubs in the PL rated.

I can start with Arsenal who get a poor grade.

Record fee paid for Rice but without knowing how to play him and Partey together.
Havertz - helped Chelsea escape FFP by paying a crazy fee for a flop
Timber - busted for the season
Raya - unsure why they got him given they are still playing Ramsdale

Outgoings were poor.

Bluelion7

Supports
Chelsea
Chelsea:

Didn’t get Lukaku completely off the books. But slightly redeemed themselves by having him sign an agreement to permanently lower his wages, making him easier to move.

Caicedo … I don’t care about the price; xcited

Lavia - I’ll have to wait and see

Ugochukwa - looks pretty good so far

Nic Jackson - happy with him, and super reasonable

Nkunku : …. If he were only playing ….

Keeping Colwill and having an extension signed … HUGE win.

Desasi - seems ok

Gusto: Marvelous. Maybe our most important addition.

Cole Palmer- I have no idea.

Kendry Paez and the Brazilians.. Blueco is cooking up something with domination of youth talent market. Gabriel actually looks fantastic. I’m excited about that one for the future.

I don’t think goal is sorted. Sanchez is … meh, but he doesn’t cost the insane amount Kepa did and he comes out for crosses.

I’m happy we DIDNT force through the purchase of a striker like Vlahovic.

Making all that money moving on people that didn’t fit for us. People talking about Bringing throb laughing all the way to the bank with player sales when we probably made more … again.

I’m not going to judge it harshly just because Nkunku is injured. I would honestly give it an A. I thought this window looked MUCH more like it had a real plan behind it compared to last year.

I even like the loans we got for People. Liecster is good for Casadei. Forrest for Santos.

My only complaint is I would have pressed for a Maddison, or even a younger player but with more game time like Nunes or Yaremi Pino. Having an experienced hand I that position, especially, would be good.

BUT again that was supposed to be Nkunku. So they at least thought they had that covered.

Grade A

Wumminator

The Qatar Pounder
Chelsea:

Didn’t get Lukaku completely off the books. But slightly redeemed themselves by having him sign an agreement to permanently lower his wages, making him easier to move.

Desasi - seems ok

Kendry Paez and the Brazilians.. Blueco is cooking up something with domination of youth talent market. Gabriel actually looks fantastic. I’m excited about that one for the future.

I don’t think goal is sorted. Sanchez is … meh, but he doesn’t cost the insane amount Kepa did and he comes out for crosses.

Making all that money moving on people that didn’t fit for us. People talking about Bringing throb laughing all the way to the bank with player sales when we probably made more … again.

I’m not going to judge it harshly just because Nkunku is injured. I would honestly give it an A. I thought this window looked MUCH more like it had a real plan behind it compared to last year.

I even like the loans we got for People. Liecster is good for Casadei. Forrest for Santos.

My only complaint is I would have pressed for a Maddison, or even a younger player but with more game time like Nunes or Yaremi Pino. Having an experienced hand I that position, especially, would be good.

BUT again that was supposed to be Nkunku. So they at least thought they had that covered.

Grade A
Yep. From the outside looking in Chelsea have a fantastic transfer window. The management’s plan to sign 5920 players so the opposition never has a fecking clue who is going to start from one game to the next is pure genius and signing 482919585 youngsters in the same position? *chef’s kiss* all it takes is one of them to make it and the billion pound spend is worth it.

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
Chelsea:

Desasi - seems ok

Grade A
Great window. It should put you in the hunt for a CL spot... at the expense of United or Newcastle.

Red Star One

Agreed on Chelsea window, looks top grade and they did some great pieces of business. Arsenal poor, Pool uninspiring, MacA is good but not such a great fit for them, I rate Szobolszai but let’s see how he adapts, Grav and Endo big unknowns - they only invested in midfield and that’s too little.

Wumminator

The Qatar Pounder
How the feck did Chelsea have a great window?

Am I losing my head? They’ve spent another 450 mil and I don’t know anyone they have got in.

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
Curious how the Caf thinks different clubs in the PL rated.

I can start with Arsenal who get a poor grade.

Record fee paid for Rice but without knowing how to play him and Partey together.
Havertz - helped Chelsea escape FFP by paying a crazy fee for a flop
Timber - busted for the season
Raya - unsure why they got him given they are still playing Ramsdale

Outgoings were poor.
Can't blame them for Timber's injury though. He did great until it happened and theyncoulsnt possibly foresee that when it happened. I mean, it's unfortunate for them, sure, but it's not a black mark on Arsenal's recruitment strategy this summer.

bringbackbebe

Wolves seem to be a genuine candidate for relegation this year, after the window they've had. Lost both Neves and Nunes but haven't seem to got anyone to replace them.

Bluelion7

Supports
Chelsea
Yep. From the outside looking in Chelsea have a fantastic transfer window. The management’s plan to sign 5920 players so the opposition never has a fecking clue who is going to start from one game to the next is pure genius and signing 482919585 youngsters in the same position? *chef’s kiss* all it takes is one of them to make it and the billion pound spend is worth it.
So …. They use non FFP counted money to buy 482919585 players , keep 2, and turn the other 482919583 into pure FFP profit?

Sounds stupid. Would be much better than to carry highly maintenances debt and an aging roster into the coming 70% per year FFP strangle.

ScholesyTheWise

Chelsea- Hard to tell, I don't know most of the players they signed. Some of them look quite good, but who knows. great selling of players [should it count with Boehly's connections with the Saudis? feels like Red Bull teams who move players from on club to the other.] Poch is a good signing for the coach position.

Pool- Good business for Sobo and MacAllister. Gravenberch I don't know what I think about. should have strengthened more in CB and FB positions. Like ourselves, their owners are crap, making life difficult for the people in charge of transfers.

Arse- good additions in Rice and Timber. with what they meant for their selling clubs, there was hardly a chance to sign them cheaply (maybe ~40m for Timber is cheap in today's market?). Havertz is a weird signing, expect him to be as mediocre as he was at Chelsea. Good move to ship off Xhaka, great selling of Balugon (sp?).

United- Just about improved a squad that needed major improvement. Onana is a good signing. Mount is very weird, I'm skeptical. Hoijlund, really don't know him but a huge price tag. Amrabat and Reguillon I'm fine with. should have managed to ship off much more deadwood. a Meh window. I'd have been very disappointed if I had any expectations from us to handle ourselves well.

City- couldn't have done much to keep Gundo by the looks of it. seems like a big loss for them, hasn't been replaced. Nunes and Doku are very interesting signings, that they're expensive means nothing for City. Gvardiol is very good from the little I've seen him play. Good selling of Palmer, great selling of the players who've gone to Burnley and Sotton. Once again they seem to know exactly what they're doing. cnuts.

Last edited:

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
Because they’ve spent 450 million to end up with players I’ve never heard of.
My Nan has never heard of Haaland but that doesn't mean anything other than my Nan knows feck all about football.

You are just like my Nan, I love you both but I ain't asking either of you for tips on my Fantasy Football team.

90 + 5min

Am I losing my head? They’ve spent another 450 mil and I don’t know anyone they have got in.
They got a Championship Manager window without "restart game button". They have bought tons of players for big money where at least 3/4 are not good enough if they want to fight for trophies. They haven't upgraded their defensive line at all and despite splashing money they are worse off in that department.

IRELANDUNITED

Liverpool get a D, rejected by all their top targets and ended up signing players no big club were interested in.

TheLord

We will have to wait and see how good the new Chelsea team functions, but they surely had the craziest transfer window of all top teams. Will definitely improve the most significantly among all the top English sides this season, given how shambolic they were last term.

Ours was okay too. Nothing great. None of the signings are overly exciting. There's a marginal improvement with a decent goalkeeper and an untested forward prospect.

Arsenal's window was bad when you factor in the injuries. One good overpriced defensive midfielder and one bad overpriced offensive midfielder. Overall regress.

City didn't need to much to improve an exceptional squad. Good window again. Steady, but that should clinch the title again.

Spurs got a good manager, at least judging by his early days. They lost Kane. That is a void too deep to fill. Overall regress.

Liverpool won't improve significantly given that world-class Salah will decline rapidly this term - age, Saudi money and what not. However, they were able to free the wages of a few aging players and get three exciting young midfielders. Overall marginal improvement.

Newcastle, well they will keep improving every window until they win the title. It is just a matter of "when" and not "if".

noodlehair

"It's like..."
Arsenal - 7 - I still don't know what Rice really does. He's ok I guess. I still don't know what Havertz really does. He's ok I guess. Would be wary of any centreback who is the name of a tree falling over. Probably done ok since the main things they needed from last season were more strength in numbers and arguably a bettr striker, which outside of Weghorst just wasn't available.

Chelsea - 4 - I don't know who anyone they've signed is apart from Caicedo. Probably could have done with a few more players in case they get 40 injuries at the same time. Its impossible to give a good rating to a team that spends £450m because basically unless they now win the league by winning every single game about 5-0, its an unmitigated disaster from a value for money point of view....and they'll probably just, you know, finish 3rd or something, then have to sack Poch when the three quarters of the squad who almost never play inevitably turn on him.

Liverpool - 4 - I think they'll be better than last season but it was just funny watching them not be able to sign anyone due to 90% of players now playing for Chelsea. If Salah goes also funny.

Man City - 0 - Standard 0/10 due to the fact that technically their transfer strategy should have caused them to be stripped of all their titles and thrown out of the competition, coupled with the fact Pep will, in spite of this, manage at some point to have a massive moan about a) people not giving his team enough credit, and b) other teams being able to afford players he can't.

Man Utd - 5 - Prioritised signing a player who could barely get a game for a team that finished about 13th, so they could try to restructure their whole team around him. A bit lost on that one. Signed a goalkeeper then signed another goalkeeper to replace that one because they forgot he was African and wouldn't be there for 2 months, or something. Hard to rate as apart from that it all seemed to make sense but a lot hinges on whether less ugly Haaland is any good.

Hard to actually rate any of them since there's a lot of signings in there where I know very little about the player.

Wumminator

The Qatar Pounder
My Nan has never heard of Haaland but that doesn't mean anything other than my Nan knows feck all about football.

You are just like my Nan, I love you both but I ain't asking either of you for tips on my Fantasy Football team.
Duffer I swear to everything I hold dear that your window has been a flop and Djorde Petrovic is a pointless signing.

bringbackbebe

Pool- should have strengthened more in CB and FB positions.
Think it's hypernormalization kicking in. They've repeatedly told themselves VVD is the best center back in the world and TAA is the best right back in the world enough times that I think they genuinely believe it. They've also made these players as captain and vice captain. It'll look silly if they spend there to provide competition to these players. Like a wise manager who played drab football once said, "He is my captain and my captain shall always play!". VVD/TAA are heading the Maguire/AWB route there.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
I think we are at a 5 or 6. We did extremely good business on some of our outgoings and the financial structure of our incomings such as Beto (very low fee for this window) but we did not address key issues and have left ourselves very thin squad wise if we end up with any long term injuries. Not good enough when you're sitting bottom of the league without any goals yet.

Manchester Dan

Supports
Man City
I am pleased with the City window given the amount spent which is relatively modest at c£50m given the youngsters sold and various sell-on clause benefits we’ve had. Arguably replaced like for like with some additional depth in the middle to cover the dependency we have on Rodri to play all season.

We’ve lost Gundogan (32), Mahrez (32) & Laporte (29) from our mainstay first team squad. In return we’ve brought in Gvardiol (21), Kovacic (29), Doku (21) & Nunes (25). Add on top that both Walker and Bernardo stayed at the club then we are all set for 23/24.

The challenge for City all lies ahead. We can probably say with some certainty that Bernardo will leave next summer with the £50m release clause added, and replacing KDB is going to be extremely tough. You’d expect a fairly significant year ahead in terms of identifying the right players to join us in 12 months time, and given the state of the market those players are likely to cost a fortune. I think the club know this which is why we’ve been relatively quiet amongst all of the madness this summer.

Rnd898

Supports
Chelsea
For Chelsea I really liked most of the outgoing business. Clearing out the likes of Aubameyang, Havertz, Pulisic, Ziyech, Koulibaly etc. was fecking mint. Also lost a few I wouldn't have minded keeping like Mount and Kante but overall the outgoing business is an 8,5/10 for me with so many unncessary players on obscene wages moved on. The only real negatives were having to keep Cucurella and failing to sell Lukaku on a permanent.

As for the incoming business it's too early to tell. At least on paper I think the signings of Jackson, Nkunku, Caicedo and Lavia are outstanding and just what the doctor ordered for us but it remains to be seen how they work out on the actual football pitch. Palmer looks a player with quite some potential to be really good but I'll reserve my judgement on him to a later date when we've actually seen what he can do. And while he wasn't exactly a summer signing but the new arrival Gusto looks a great understudy to James. Signing the academy lad Colwill to a new long-term deal was one of our most important 'transfer' business of the summer and I really wanted to keep Gallagher and Maatsen too so I'm happy with them staying.

OldSchoolManc

I am pleased with the City window given the amount spent which is relatively modest at c£50m given the youngsters sold and various sell-on clause benefits we’ve had. Arguably replaced like for like with some additional depth in the middle to cover the dependency we have on Rodri to play all season.

We’ve lost Gundogan (32), Mahrez (32) & Laporte (29) from our mainstay first team squad. In return we’ve brought in Gvardiol (21), Kovacic (29), Doku (21) & Nunes (25). Add on top that both Walker and Bernardo stayed at the club then we are all set for 23/24.

The challenge for City all lies ahead. We can probably say with some certainty that Bernardo will leave next summer with the £50m release clause added, and replacing KDB is going to be extremely tough. You’d expect a fairly significant year ahead in terms of identifying the right players to join us in 12 months time, and given the state of the market those players are likely to cost a fortune. I think the club know this which is why we’ve been relatively quiet amongst all of the madness this summer.
The lack of self awareness amongst City fans is astonishing

ScholesyTheWise

Think it's hypernormalization kicking in. They've repeatedly told themselves VVD is the best center back in the world and TAA is the best right back in the world enough times that I think they genuinely believe it. They've also made these players as captain and vice captain. It'll look silly if they spend there to provide competition to these players. Like a wise manager who played drab football once said, "He is my captain and my captain shall always play!". VVD/TAA are heading the Maguire/AWB route there.
Yeah, should have said I mean that they need more depth in those positions.
VVD, TAA, and Robertson are all on the decline (TAA is now more of a midfielder it seems?).

Fecking Vaan Gaal, blah. "drab football" is somehow such an understatement :lol:

Redstain

I think Arsenal have had a good window, they were for the majority of the previous season the best team in the league performance wise and totally collapsed towards the end. There's not many signings they could make to replace first team members so depth has been added.

City similarly to Arsenal have added depth but haven't really moved the needle with the first team aside Gvardiol potentially hitting the ground running. Seems like most of their activity has been dictated by injuries and departures, I don't think any midfield signing is better than KDB (obviously) or Gundogan.

Liverpool are still a donut team for me very attacking / front heavy but vulnerable defensively. They would have had a stronger window going for Gvardiol, if they managed to snag Lavia I'd have given them the best window considering they would have replaced the entire midfield in a single transfer period.

The only area of Chelsea's team that's of good quality is the midfield and a large part of that begins and ends with Enzo. I don't see Chelsea climbing up trees this season, too many players with not enough time to gel but I could be wrong. Playing one major league competition with no European football will probably harm them as there's less games to implement things. I would put Chelsea's window down to needing time so they should have a longer criteria to assess compared to any other team.

Newcastle have had a solid window, Tonali would provisionally play in most midfields in the league. Barnes is a good player can chip in with goals. I highly rate Lewis Hall very promising player and if not for injury Livramento would inevitably be in a lower tier conversation with James / Arnold. I think what's clear with Newcastle is that unlike City they are sticking to the confides of their limitations with FFP. I'm impressed with the age and profile of the players they have purchased you can see Dan Ashworths hand in their strategy.

Overall I'm most impressed with Newcastle, not reflective of this summer activity but when you consider that barely two seasons ago Isaac Hayden, Joelinton and JoJo Shevley was their midfield they have had consistent success from window to window. If they continue this trajectory they'll keep making incremental improvements season to season. It will eventually become a question of how far can Howe take the team.

eire-red

Chelsea- Hard to tell, I don't know most of the players they signed. Some of them look quite good, but who knows. great selling of players [should it count with Boehly's connections with the Saudis? feels like Red Bull teams who move players from on club to the other.] Poch is a good signing for the coach position.

Pool- Good business for Sobo and MacAllister. Gravenberch I don't know what I think about. should have strengthened more in CB and FB positions. Like ourselves, their owners are crap, making life difficult for the people in charge of transfers.

Arse- good additions in Rice and Timber. with what they meant for their selling clubs, there was hardly a chance to sign them cheaply (maybe ~40m for Timber is cheap in today's market?). Havertz is a weird signing, expect him to be as mediocre as he was at Chelsea. Good move to ship off Xhaka, great selling of Balugon (sp?).

United- Just about improved a squad that needed major improvement. Onana is a good signing. Mount is very weird, I'm skeptical. Hoijlund, really don't know him but a huge price tag. Amrabat and Reguillon I'm fine with. should have managed to ship off much more deadwood. a Meh window. I'd have been very disappointed if I had any expectations from us to handle ourselves well.

City- couldn't have done much to keep Gundo by the looks of it. seems like a big loss for them, hasn't been replaced. Nunes and Doku are very interesting signings, that they're expensive means nothing for City. Gvardiol is very good from the little I've seen him play. Good selling of Palmer, great selling of the players who've gone to Burnley and Sotton. Once again they seem to know exactly what they're doing. cnuts.
They've just spent another fortune on incoming on a mix of young top talent, and bargains like Kovacic and sold well / let players go that had run their course with the club.

All this on the back of winning the treble. It's ridiculous, and I really don't know how it's possible to compete.

Forest Red

Supports
Nottingham Forest
10/10 - really pleased with the window. We’ve addressed all the problem areas in the squad - LB, GK, a quality No 6, overhauled midfield so we can actually keep and pass the ball. We’ve added some good attacking options. There’s the wild card of Callum Hudson-Odoi, at £5m not even a gamble. If Cooper can get him back anywhere close to his best he could signing of the season.

We also got rid of half a dozen player unlikely to make the 25.

The elephant in the room - BJ gone for £47.5m? Good luck to him but with Elanga, CHO etc, we’ve got his goals and pace covered. The fact is, it was a compromise fitting him in the system Cooper prefers. The good run at the end of last season, coincided with dropping BJ to the bench as a last 25m impact sub. To play him we had to go to two in midfield and in order to get players good enough to play in a two we had to sell Johnson.

GlasgowCeltic

will probably be ultimately wrong but on paper City look short on goalscorers without Gundogan and Mahrez.

They've spent a fecking fortune on a million players nobody ever heard of. Most will flop but one or two will be alright by the law of averages.

Best of all their dodgy accounting will screw them in future windows. Their saving grace will be the Saudi connection allowing them to offload the flops for massive money.

sincher

"I will cry if Rooney leaves"
10/10 - really pleased with the window. We’ve addressed all the problem areas in the squad - LB, GK, a quality No 6, overhauled midfield so we can actually keep and pass the ball. We’ve added some good attacking options. There’s the wild card of Callum Hudson-Odoi, at £5m not even a gamble. If Cooper can get him back anywhere close to his best he could signing of the season.

We also got rid of half a dozen player unlikely to make the 25.

The elephant in the room - BJ gone for £47.5m? Good luck to him but with Elanga, CHO etc, we’ve got his goals and pace covered. The fact is, it was a compromise fitting him in the system Cooper prefers. The good run at the end of last season, coincided with dropping BJ to the bench as a last 25m impact sub. To play him we had to go to two in midfield and in order to get players good enough to play in a two we had to sell Johnson.
I am not convinced Johnson is really a top player. I think you got good money for him. Will be interesting to see how CHO does. The potential is still there.

Sangare looks like a bit of a coup also, and I suspect you did better to spend 7.7m on Vlachadimos than 15-20m on Henderson. Also Omobamidele looks like a smart buy. Should surely be the end of playing clearly substandard players like Worrall.

Manchester Dan

Supports
Man City
The lack of self awareness amongst City fans is astonishing
Our spending over the last 5 years says different. Unless you’re in the “payments under the table crowd”. The reality is that our transfer policy has been highly effective for quite a while now.

Lee565

I have noticed a trend in media this past few days where they are trying to paint united as being chaotic with their transfer dealings in the latter stages of this window even though amrabat was our target for a majority of the window but there is not a single criticism of man city's dealing of going from having to go fron one midfielder to another and then just about getting it over the line in the last for nunes and that was only because the player threw a tantrum, imagine if that was united in that scenario, all you would hear is "it's scattergun approach, they are desperately paying over the odds".

The football media is so bias and predictable with their narratives whether it be sky, bt, espn,, talksport, the sun, the mirror etc.. there is a gap in the market to bring a rational and unbias take on things, just like

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
Chelsea

In: Caicedo, Nkunku, Lavia, Disasi, Jackson, Palmer, Ugochukwu, Sanchez, Petrovic, Washington, Angelo -464m

Out: Havertz, Mount, Kovacic, Koulibaly, Pulisic, Mendy, Loftus-cheek, Ampadu, Lukaku (loan) +267m

Net spend 197m

9/10
(crazy summer, change the whole team with lots of big names ins and outs, muppet's dream though)

City

In: Gvardiol, Nunes, Doku, Kovacic -241m

Out: Mahrez, Laporte, Gundogan, Palmer, Herrera +114m

Net spend 127m

8/10
(some noticeable departure of their key players, but some quality additions too)

Arsenal

In: Rice, Havertz, Timber - 234m

Out: Xhaka, Balogen, Turner, Trusty, Mari +67m

Net spend 167m

8/10
(some good signings there, definitely improvement from last season's squad)

Liverpool

In: Szoboszlai, McAllister, Gravenberch, Endo -172m

Out: Fabinho, Henderson +60m

Net spend 112m

6-7/10
(change the whole midfield, which is necessary, new signings could be hit or miss)

Man Utd

In: Hojlund, Mount, Onana, Amrabat, Bayindir, Evans, Reguilion (loan) -206m

Out: De Gea, Fred, Elanga, Henderson, Kovar, Telles, Iqbal +55m

Net spend 151m

6-7/10
(overall an improvement, new signings could be hit or miss, if only could raise more cash from players sales..)

IamBurnsey

If the scousers end up selling Salah for 150+ million, they can write this season off
I can see them doing it next summer very early in the transfer market so they can go about replacing him but doing it now would be beyond silly , klopp would implode if we was sold now with no replacement coming in.

Nani Nana

Supports
Whoever won the game
1/ City - shrewd moves across the board
2 / Liverpool - smart midfield acquisitions
3/ Chelsea or United depending on Mount output
4/ Arsenal - strange acquisitions (Havertz), overpriced (Rice) and bad luck (Timber)

Just my opinion though