Trent Alexander Arnold

B20

HEY EVERYONE I IGNORE SOMEONE LOOK AT ME
Supports
Liverpool
Lots and lots of cash, living somewhere new and interesting, new challenge. Plenty of reasons he might. He seems pretty dedicated to Liverpool of course. A few might fancy something new if they win the league.
What is interesting about the challenge at PSG?

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
What is interesting about the challenge at PSG?
I said new challenge, doing something different, playing with different players. And living somewhere more interesting. It certainly wouldn't be my first choice as a club, but there would be plus points.

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
I think what I meant was their general importance (wrt attacking qualities) seem to have increased. But I get what you’re saying.
I think you are definitely right in that case, especially in England I think the fullbacks coming through now has more attacking qualities than before. Not everybody of course, but some have probably done so by being good offensively while some years ago they probably wouldn't even have been considered for that position. People like TAA can contribute to put even more spotlight on the position with the way he plays and more kids will try to play like him, and that can change things.

Ish

Lights on for Luke
I think you are definitely right in that case, especially in England I think the fullbacks coming through now has more attacking qualities than before. Not everybody of course, but some have probably done so by being good offensively while some years ago they probably wouldn't even have been considered for that position. People like TAA can contribute to put even more spotlight on the position with the way he plays and more kids will try to play like him, and that can change things.
Yeah I think so. Albeit I think guys like Dani Alves, Lahm, Evra, Maicon (various others) have already contributed vastly to this growing trend of fullbacks needing to have as much of an attacking weapon, as they do defensive....

but like I said, I don’t necessarily think attacking fullbacks are a “new” phenomenon, but their importance and what they provide to the team as an attacking outlet, have increased, especially as possession, counter possession (pressing/counter attack) and the midfield battle are all emphasized.

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
Yeah I think so. Albeit I think guys like Dani Alves, Lahm, Evra, Maicon (various others) have already contributed vastly to this growing trend of fullbacks needing to have as much of an attacking weapon, as they do defensive....

but like I said, I don’t necessarily think attacking fullbacks are a “new” phenomenon, but their importance and what they provide to the team as an attacking outlet, have increased, especially as possession, counter possession (pressing/counter attack) and the midfield battle are all emphasized.
I agree with that too. It is not often you see typical CB types playing as fullbacks anymore. At least not at the top level. Last I can remember is players like Vertonghen, Rojo, Blind, Mathieu, Smalling, Boateng. Don't see that as much anymore, and teams might be more inclined to have two smaller attacking fullbacks instead of a makeshift CB playing there due to the general importance of the position. Obviously not everyone has to be amazing in attack to play as a fullback at the highest level, but they have to at least contribute in more aspects of the game than before. They are a lot more involved now I feel and so it will fall on if they are consistent or not in both defending and attacking and that is what will separate them.

I also see a lot of "attacking fullbacks" that doesn't impress me much. Some of them frustrate me like Zaha used to as a winger, capable of some sick things but just so inconsistent in their overall play. I think it's important to separate because otherwise we might put to much value on a bad winger playing as a fullback perceived to contribute in attack due to flair, and undervalue other well rounded fullbacks. To me the expectation of fullbacks haven't changed that much in reality, it's just a matter of the players at disposal and I think if a younger Sagna played for a team currently he would be as highly rated as he was a few years ago. Wouldn't get picked ahead of Alves just like he wouldn't back then, but ahead of a Clichy, yeah.

Damn, went a bit off topic. My bad. I want to see more from TAA before I'd label him a world class fullback honestly. To me, some days he looks unbeatable but other days he is doing some pretty weird stuff man. He is very young so time is on his side and the talent is obvious but to me he still has some distance to go. If he just stays at his current level it wont carry him through to have a world class level career, needs to improve in a few aspects but I see no reason why he can't do that.

mwake

Supports
Liverpool
The role of full-backs has changed, yes there have always been attaking full backs, its not a new thing. But now fullbacks with attacking qualities are a standard issue not just bonus quality thing. TAA just happens to be one of the best fullbacks with attacking qualities. Ironically he does need to work on his defensive game but let's remember Trent has faced the worlds best wingers over the last two years and has done pretty well, he has definitely contributed to LFCs success.

Ish

Lights on for Luke
I agree with that too. It is not often you see typical CB types playing as fullbacks anymore. At least not at the top level. Last I can remember is players like Vertonghen, Rojo, Blind, Mathieu, Smalling, Boateng. Don't see that as much anymore, and teams might be more inclined to have two smaller attacking fullbacks instead of a makeshift CB playing there due to the general importance of the position. Obviously not everyone has to be amazing in attack to play as a fullback at the highest level, but they have to at least contribute in more aspects of the game than before. They are a lot more involved now I feel and so it will fall on if they are consistent or not in both defending and attacking and that is what will separate them.

I also see a lot of "attacking fullbacks" that doesn't impress me much. Some of them frustrate me like Zaha used to as a winger, capable of some sick things but just so inconsistent in their overall play. I think it's important to separate because otherwise we might put to much value on a bad winger playing as a fullback perceived to contribute in attack due to flair, and undervalue other well rounded fullbacks. To me the expectation of fullbacks haven't changed that much in reality, it's just a matter of the players at disposal and I think if a younger Sagna played for a team currently he would be as highly rated as he was a few years ago. Wouldn't get picked ahead of Alves just like he wouldn't back then, but ahead of a Clichy, yeah.

Damn, went a bit off topic. My bad. I want to see more from TAA before I'd label him a world class fullback honestly. To me, some days he looks unbeatable but other days he is doing some pretty weird stuff man. He is very young so time is on his side and the talent is obvious but to me he still has some distance to go. If he just stays at his current level it wont carry him through to have a world class level career, needs to improve in a few aspects but I see no reason why he can't do that.
:lol: all good. I enjoyed the chat.

Another good point is the creation of the false 9 (again, I don't think the position was created yesterday but there's been good emphasis on it since someone like Messi mastered it) and your "wide forward" like Messi & Cristiano putting up ridiculous G & A numbers by drifting infield between fullback and CB - meaning the touchline hugging traditional wingers role has also become less prominent. This makes it almost a requirement for your fullback to create and take advantage of the width.

Something the Liverpool fullbacks are really excellent at, especially TAA with his deadly deliveries.

B20

Supports
Liverpool
:lol: all good. I enjoyed the chat.

Another good point is the creation of the false 9 (again, I don't think the position was created yesterday but there's been good emphasis on it since someone like Messi mastered it)
Players like Firmino and Benzema may play as central striker, but in terms of the role they play their comparison is with players like Bergkamp and Cantona, the creative deeper lying forward who scores goals but is not there to be the primary goalscorer.

Like you say, it mandates that goals come from the wide forwards cutting inside and the width coming from the fullbacks.

What sets TAA apart for me is how much he stretches play from out wide, due to his accuracy over distance. There's the crossfield passes of course, but most of his crosses are also aimed at Mane at the far post, rather than the central striker or near post. The fact he can whip them in from deeper than most players can also play a part. A fair amount of goals come from meeting crosses in behind the defence.

He's basically a game plan on to himself. Plays like Gerrard would have if he'd never been moved from fullback to midfield.

Ish

Lights on for Luke
Players like Firmino and Benzema may play as central striker, but in terms of the role they play their comparison is with players like Bergkamp and Cantona, the creative deeper lying forward who scores goals but is not there to be the primary goalscorer.

Like you say, it mandates that goals come from the wide forwards cutting inside and the width coming from the fullbacks.

What sets TAA apart for me is how much he stretches play from out wide, due to his accuracy over distance. There's the crossfield passes of course, but most of his crosses are also aimed at Mane at the far post, rather than the central striker or near post. The fact he can whip them in from deeper than most players can also play a part. A fair amount of goals come from meeting crosses in behind the defence.

He's basically a game plan on to himself. Plays like Gerrard would have if he'd never been moved from fullback to midfield.
Yeah, agreed with all those.

Suedesi

As good as he is with the ball at his feet, he's pretty average defending against a speedy winger. He has some glaring weaknesses defending. Won't be surprised to see his position evolve into midfield under Klopp or for Engurland.

Warlord

Supports
Liverpool
As good as he is with the ball at his feet, he's pretty average defending against a speedy winger. He has some glaring weaknesses defending. Won't be surprised to see his position evolve into midfield under Klopp or for Engurland.
Are you kidding? Salah is not going to be dropped to accommodate TAA neither are any other midfielders. TAA is staying where he is!

Cheech Wizard

Liverpool fan
Supports
Liverpool
He had to be careful and cautious today, one booking away from missing Leicester and we don't have cover for him with Clyne being out.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
He's an average 1on1 defender, but that's about it. That's the only aspect where he isn't great

Right footed Marcelo. Amazing player and talent

Dorian Gray

Supports
Liverpool
He had to be careful and cautious today, one booking away from missing Leicester and we don't have cover for him with Clyne being out.
Yeah, defending is of course not his strongest suit but yesterday was down to hesitancy borne out of cautiousness.

Halds

Supports
Liverpool FC
Liverpool have no other cover at RB? Clyne seems to be perpetually injured
Right now we don't, as Gomez will have to partner VvD centrally with Lovren and Matip out. Fabinho is another option, but injured too.

Stick

Supports
Liverpool
Right now we don't, as Gomez will have to partner VvD centrally with Lovren and Matip out. Fabinho is another option, but injured too.
Henderson and Milner can both play right back too I think.

Warlord

Supports
Liverpool
He made another assist yesterday for the winning goal. That's 20 for the calandar year!

What do you make of him? Is he the best RB in the world right now?

21 :lol:

El-Manos

He made another assist yesterday for the winning goal. That's 20 for the calandar year!

Attacking point of view, absolutely no question. His defending needs major tweaking though.

Skills

Snitch
Fully agree, he works perfectly in this Liverpool side but when you need a bit balance he clearly isn´t the best.
So he should only basically play for top level teams, who are trying to win games more often than not?

I don't think he's planning to take a step down to the midtable, so he'll be fine. Like Marcelo and Dani Alves were.

TheReligion

Abusive

Best attacking right back but I don't think he's near the best defensively. If he improves that he'll be fantastic.

arthurka

So he should only basically play for top level teams, who are trying to win games more often than not?

I don't think he's planning to take a step down to the midtable, so he'll be fine. Like Marcelo and Dani Alves were.
Liverpool and England are two totally different sides. Not saying he isn't a fantastic player but if you need a balanced defensive lineup he isn't that.

Dumbstar

We got another woman hater here.
Supports
Liverpool
Been watching that clip on rerun for a while and each time I keep asking what the feck are you trying to play there Trent? Put a proper cross in ffs. Each rerun its hurting my brain.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
It was a great assist last night in fairness.

It's a shit ball without the movement of Firmino.

Often all he has to do is put it in an area of space and they'll attack it. While whips in a nice ball he gets massively overrated.

Without VVD holding his hand defensively he can't yet be trusted.

Classical Mechanic

It's a shit ball without the movement of Firmino.

Often all he has to do is put it in an area of space and they'll attack it. While whips in a nice ball he gets massively overrated.

Without VVD holding his hand defensively he can't yet be trusted.
Sorry but I think that's rubbish. Football is a team sport and all about linking up with teammates. He appreciates how his teammate plays and gives him the perfect ball.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Sorry but I think that's rubbish. Football is a team sport and all about linking up with teammates. He appreciates how his teammate plays and gives him the perfect ball.
Don't get me wrong a lot of his passes are excellent, but that was nothing special in particular. If Firmino doesn't run into the space the ball trickles into the goalkeepers arms and it's automatically a "bad cross".

Fine margins.

RobinLFC

Cries when Liverpool doesn't get praised
Supports
Liverpool
Don't get me wrong a lot of his passes are excellent, but that was nothing special in particular. If Firmino doesn't run into the space the ball trickles into the goalkeepers arms and it's automatically a "bad cross".

Fine margins.
That's some backwards reasoning if I ever saw one. Per definition every cross is a bad one if no striker is moving.

Last edited:

Classical Mechanic

Fine margins.
It looked rehearsed to me, something they'd talked about. I thought that about goal against Barca from the corner, they'd noticed they were a bit slow to get set on corners and took advantage of it.

B20

Supports
Liverpool

Fine margins.
Just in: All through balls are nothing special. Youtubers everywhere are editing their highlights videos of creative passes after realising that a lot of them would be just bad passes without movement from the striker.

SAFMUTD

Not only best RB in the world but best Full Back no questions asked, he is fantastic.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
His defensive issues are waaaay overblown on here. He's a good defender, too, just not great in 1on1 against great dribblers.

This place was tripping all over itself about Marcelo just a year ago, and Marcelo is actually really a bad defender