Trent Alexander Arnold

marktan

Scholes like, that pass. The way it speeds up and the suddenly drops.

Peeping Tim

Supports
Liverpool
TAA is currently assisting at 1 assist every 3 games.

Giggs was 1 in 4, Gerrard was 1 in 5, Scholes was 1 in 9.

:eek:

TheReligion

Abusive
TAA is currently assisting at 1 assist every 3 games.

Giggs was 1 in 4, Gerrard was 1 in 5, Scholes was 1 in 9.

:eek:
Great record no doubt but that's because you have no other creative players so everything goes through him. He's more creative than any of your midfielders for a start. Scholes and Giggs were in more balanced sides.

paraguayo

Supports
neutral
Their full backs are ridiculous. That is the position that sets aside the top clubs imo. Full backs are the only position left that is defended 1 on1 so if they can capitalize on it, it really shows

Ish

Lights on for Luke
Their full backs are ridiculous. That is the position that sets aside the top clubs imo. Full backs are the only position left that is defended 1 on1 so if they can capitalize on it, it really shows
Yep. A great attacking fullback just adds a completely new dimension to any teams attack. I posted something in the AWB thread recently saying something along the lines of the attacking prowess of a fullback these days, is probably as important as his defensive ability (if not more!) at top clubs these days.

B20

HEY EVERYONE I IGNORE SOMEONE LOOK AT ME
Supports
Liverpool
Yep. A great attacking fullback just adds a completely new dimension to any teams attack. I posted something in the AWB thread recently saying something along the lines of the attacking prowess of a fullback these days, is probably as important as his defensive ability (if not more!) at top clubs these days.
Given that TAA is only ok defensively and still one of our best players, I'd say it's more important.

I'd be curious to see how many crosses he puts into the box on average compared to Beckham in his heyday.

Ish

Lights on for Luke
Given that TAA is only ok defensively and still one of our best players, I'd say it's more important.

I'd be curious to see how many crosses he puts into the box on average compared to Beckham in his heyday.
Yeah, can’t disagree there. Seems a common theme at the clubs who are at the pinnacle of the European game - they have immensely talented attacking fullbacks.

Speedy30

Liverpool Fan
Supports
Liverpool
Yeah, can’t disagree there. Seems a common theme at the clubs who are at the pinnacle of the European game - they have immensely talented attacking fullbacks.
At Utd's height, you had Neville who was a phenomenal player. Having good full backs certainly isn't a new thing to help you win titles but the role of them has changed over the last few years

Ish

Lights on for Luke
At Utd's height, you had Neville who was a phenomenal player. Having good full backs certainly isn't a new thing to help you win titles but the role of them has changed over the last few years
Yeah, agreed. I think there’s always been executional attacking fullbacks around - something the Brazilian NT has always been lauded for, as an example.

So yeah, whilst it’s nothing new, I think maybe the importance has increased.

TheOx

Supports
Liverpool
Has just become the most valuable defender in the world, according to transfermarkt.

1. Trent Alexander Arnold - 110M
2. Van Dijk - 100M
3. Robertson - 80M
4. De Ligt - 75M
5. Laporte - 75M
6. Koulibaly - 75M
7. Hernandez (Bayern Munich) - 70M
8. Gimenez (Atletico Madrid) - 70M
9. Kimmich - 70M
10. Varane - 70M

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
Yeah, agreed. I think there’s always been executional attacking fullbacks around - something the Brazilian NT has always been lauded for, as an example.

Not sure it's right to say the general importance has increased. In my opinion, if a fullback is more effective offensively than most wingers that is to his credit only and doesn't change the importance of the role in it self. If you compare an attacking fullback to one who is not, their general importance will be decided by other factors like how they perform relevant to their team. You wouldn't devaluate a striker like Lewandowski due to his position because goalscoring wingers like Messi and Ronaldo are more important to their team. The expectation of the role role may be changing but regardless the value is only decided by what the player himself brings to the table. So to me anyway, it is often a moot point.

On topic: He seems to have insane crossing abilities and composure out wide, huge talent but I didn't know he was rated as highly as he seems to be already.

Warlord

Supports
Liverpool
Has just become the most valuable defender in the world, according to transfermarkt.

2. Van Dijk - 100M
3. Robertson - 80M
4. De Ligt - 75M
5. Laporte - 75M
6. Koulibaly - 75M
9. Kimmich - 70M
10. Varane - 70M

The best thing is he's a proper scouser. Nobody can buy him :lol:

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout

2. Van Dijk - 100M
3. Robertson - 80M
4. De Ligt - 75M
5. Laporte - 75M
6. Koulibaly - 75M
9. Kimmich - 70M
10. Varane - 70M
Not surprised in the slightest.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
They're incredibly lucky that certain teams don't seem to be as big on poaching players like this any more. Surprised the likes of PSG aren't interested though?

Finn MacCool

Supports
Liverpool
Is the term ‘defender’ used in jest here?
A more accurate term nowadays, even for teams who play 4 at the back, would be wing back. Gary Neville, who was a very good full back in his day has said he couldn’t play the position in the modern game. At least as much emphasis on attacking as defending, and at the elite level, I would say attacking ability is more important - provided your defending isn’t at Titus Bramble level.

Trents level is already high and scary to think how he good he will become if he continues to progress. He only turned 21 a couple of months ago. Injuries permitting he could be around for another 15 years.

BrownRecluse

Supports
Liverpool

2. Van Dijk - 100M
3. Robertson - 80M
4. De Ligt - 75M
5. Laporte - 75M
6. Koulibaly - 75M
9. Kimmich - 70M
10. Varane - 70M
surprised Pavard isn’t on that list

sangria

They're incredibly lucky that certain teams don't seem to be as big on poaching players like this any more. Surprised the likes of PSG aren't interested though?
Didn't SAF try to poach him when he was a kid?

Ish

Lights on for Luke
Not sure it's right to say the general importance has increased. In my opinion, if a fullback is more effective offensively than most wingers that is to his credit only and doesn't change the importance of the role in it self. If you compare an attacking fullback to one who is not, their general importance will be decided by other factors like how they perform relevant to their team. You wouldn't devaluate a striker like Lewandowski due to his position because goalscoring wingers like Messi and Ronaldo are more important to their team. The expectation of the role role may be changing but regardless the value is only decided by what the player himself brings to the table. So to me anyway, it is often a moot point.

On topic: He seems to have insane crossing abilities and composure out wide, huge talent but I didn't know he was rated as highly as he seems to be already.
I think what I meant was their general importance (wrt attacking qualities) seem to have increased. But I get what you’re saying.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
I doubt TAA would even want to move to PSG.

B20

HEY EVERYONE I IGNORE SOMEONE LOOK AT ME
Supports
Liverpool
His crossing has been tremendous for a while, but his passing has gone up a notch or two lately. It's not just the cross field passes that make the highlight reels, but his ability to thread forward passes through congested areas and find a man in space is really good lately. The weight of his passing is great too. Genuinely playmaking from rightback these days.

C_Senior

Supports
Liverpool fc
I enjoy his use of the ball. He seems so matured on the ball like he knows where other players are/will be without looking! He's really enjoying his role in the team. Best bit is that he loves Liverpool to the core.

Warlord

Supports
Liverpool
Stevie Mcmanaman says hi
:nono: McMoneyman went for the payoff. Luckiky we're a much better run club these days and can give the likes of TAA the contracts he deserves.

BTW, there's another scouser coming through called Curtis Jones. He's 19 and has represented the England youth teams and played for us in the league cup. Indeed he scored the winning penalty in the shootout versus Arsenal. He's a very good attacking midfielder so one to watch in my opinion. Big future.

Bwuk

I can see why he plays RB for Liverpool but England should really consider playing him in midfield. They’ve got a lot of options at RB but no-one in midfield who can pass like he can.

Swarlos

Supports
Lyn FK, Liverpool
Maybe they are, but they know he is unattainable.

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?

Particularly at Liverpool. Tactically, they rely on their fullbacks to be their creative outlet. The likes of Henderson, Wijnaldum, Fabinho etc are there to crowd the middle, suffocate teams and then get the ball out wide to the wingbacks who should have a bit of space.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
Why would he want a backwards move to PSG?
Lots and lots of cash, living somewhere new and interesting, new challenge. Plenty of reasons he might. He seems pretty dedicated to Liverpool of course. A few might fancy something new if they win the league.

Ish

Lights on for Luke
Particularly at Liverpool. Tactically, they rely on their fullbacks to be their creative outlet. The likes of Henderson, Wijnaldum, Fabinho etc are there to crowd the middle, suffocate teams and then get the ball out wide to the wingbacks who should have a bit of space.
100% this. And both their fullbacks have great deliveries into the box - with a clinical strikeforce. It makes the world of difference.

Classical Mechanic

Lots and lots of cash, living somewhere new and interesting, new challenge. Plenty of reasons he might. He seems pretty dedicated to Liverpool of course. A few might fancy something new if they win the league.
Unless he wants to cash out then only Real and Barca can offer him something Liverpool can't at the moment.

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
He's the new Arce.

I can see why he plays RB for Liverpool but England should really consider playing him in midfield. They’ve got a lot of options at RB but no-one in midfield who can pass like he can.
Yeah that's a decent shout. He's really important to Liverpool on the right so I don't buy the common pundit view that he's too good to play at full-back, which tends to be informed by how the game worked in the 1980s. But you can see the specific quality gap in the England midfield that is precisely what he could potentially bring to the table.

TheOx

Supports
Liverpool
Think you could put him any place in midfield (bar DM) and he would put in a decent shift.